Sign in to follow this  
mindtooloud

Letting go of attatchments

In the children's TV show Avatar: The Last Air Bender, a guru explains how to unblock/balance chakras. He goes through each of the 7 chakras starting from the root chakra to the crown chakra. After going through all necessary actions to unblock/balance the other chakras, he explains that one must let go of all earthly attachments in order to have cosmic energy flow through the crown chakra. My question is is it possible to skip all the other chakras and just let go of all attachments to activate/balance/unlock the crown chakra.

1 minute ago, mindtooloud said:

In the children's TV show Avatar: The Last Air Bender, a guru explains how to unblock/balance chakras. He goes through each of the 7 chakras starting from the root chakra to the crown chakra. After going through all necessary actions to unblock/balance the other chakras, he explains that one must let go of all earthly attachments in order to have cosmic energy flow through the crown chakra. My question is is it possible to skip all the other chakras and just let go of all attachments to activate/balance/unlock the crown chakra.

As we've seen numerous times on this site an unbalanced focus on the crown leads to.. imbalance. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

As we've seen numerous times on this site an unbalanced focus on the crown leads to.. imbalance. :lol:

Yep, my peers call people who focus on that and the third eye dandelions: complete hippies who are not grounded and out of touch with reality, obsessed with things like "higher realms" and "fifth dimensions" and a lot of other nonsense. 

Balance the whole thing, not the top, otherwise, your body is like an upside-down pyramid!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Yep, my peers call people who focus on that and the third eye dandelions: complete hippies who are not grounded and out of touch with reality, obsessed with things like "higher realms" and "fifth dimensions" and a lot of other nonsense. 

Balance the whole thing, not the top, otherwise, your body is like an upside-down pyramid!

sounds a lot like me :confused:

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Perhaps this will help our companion @mindtooloud understand:

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

• Like 1

It's not possible to let go of any attachments.  But you can replace them with light, with the higher truth.

If you empty a box of dirt, it can be useful, but in this world it will be full of dirt again very soon.

Only if you have put gold in the box will the box remain clean.

In practice emptying of darkness and filling of light go together.

From the beginning you have to have contact with the real light otherwise nothing will work ... so that may be an answer to your question ... from the beginning you have to feel the light and this normally happens through transmission.

One reason people like to talk about attachments is that then they talk about something they know.  They know all their attachments and so it is easy. 

But awakening is not about something you know, but about something you can know, something new.

Rideforever’s statement about no possibility of letting go of attachments is both false and uninformed.

By such reasoning, forgiveness is completely disregarded, even though by its nature, forgiveness eliminates those attachments.

• Like 1

An attachment is when part of your energy is engaged in something of a low nature, like the arm of an octopus wrapped around an anchor. 

You can pull the anchor away ... but what will the energy do then ?  What will the arm do ?

It will end up grabbing something else, that is the problem.

It can have some benefit to doing it anyway, but it does get boring.

In India many sages were half savage unintelligent people who did no yoga practices at all, but with the aid of a teacher they were able to connect to the light, and the light itself filled them and cleaned the house.

They did not do incremental purification work.

This is important because there are a lot of spiritual people who for decades are purifying and purifying and purifying, and they don't understand the principles above.  Some of Buddha's students were enlightened in a few days, although they had some preparation.

28 minutes ago, rideforever said:

An attachment is when part of your energy is engaged in something of a low nature, like the arm of an octopus wrapped around an anchor. 

You can pull the anchor away ... but what will the energy do then ?  What will the arm do ?

It will end up grabbing something else, that is the problem.

It can have some benefit to doing it anyway, but it does get boring.

In India many sages were half savage unintelligent people who did no yoga practices at all, but with the aid of a teacher they were able to connect to the light, and the light itself filled them and cleaned the house.

They did not do incremental purification work.

This is important because there are a lot of spiritual people who for decades are purifying and purifying and purifying, and they don't understand the principles above.  Some of Buddha's students were enlightened in a few days, although they had some preparation.

“Half savage unintelligent people”?

Besides being historically inaccurate, probably not the best way to characterize them.:lol:

• Like 1

I am attached to many things- sorting through

Edited by sagebrush
simplify
  • Confused 1

you are incorrect about thinking on purification. it takes me a great deal of thought to concentrate on drinking water.

a great deal of thought

maybe not always but at this junction

Edited by sagebrush
simplify

:huh:

I'm going to make some tea and sit with @mindtooloud for a stretch, contemplating the oddness of some of what has been posted here, and wait for the mud that's been kicked up to settle a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I lack a few social graces-

thank you for tea

good day

You are welcome. I hope you enjoy your day.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mindtooloud said:

My question is is it possible to skip all the other chakras and just let go of all attachments to activate/balance/unlock the crown chakra.

Please forgive me for editing a quote. But, I want to get to the meat.  Can you skip to activate/ unlock the crown chakra-- the short answer is yes-- if you are incredibly unlucky.  Will it be balanced, absolutely not.  I might wish those circumstances on someone I truly hate.  I have yet to hate anyone that much.

The very fact that you ask such a question shows a tremendous lack of knowledge in this area.  Please find a good established teacher, close by, who has a very solid, deep, reputation on chakras and believes in starting from the bottom up:D

Edited by moment
  • Like 4

Maybe Ride is getting at something....

I mean, working on oneself is great, but up to a point. How do you work on your blind spots for example ? Don't you need Light to uncover these blind spots by definition - what's dark and hidden from you in your box ?  You may have a glaring flaw or have an obvious problem, but maybe there's a lot more things going on "under the hood" of your box. I mean, it's always good to see the dust in one corner of your box and be moved moved to clean it, that's self-development and better than what most people do. But at the same time, it's hard to predict if fixing your obvious flaws will take care of everything else in your life, like the perfect chess move. Because when you're operating from your own angle or limited perspective looking at the box, it's hard to have all the information.  To get a better angle of vision, you could ask your friends to help with your blind-spots, because often you're the only one in a group that can't see something glaring about yourself.

But I think Ride is saying that Light is also a trusted friend that you can call on... it's been here for a while, knows the geography of your box, and it works wordlessly and without pay... If you tell it to remove the garbage with your intent, it will do so. It will also go the extra mile to seek and destroy new garbage that you didn't even know was there. That's why some people say spiritual Light is "sentient". Sounds weird, lol, but it does seem to work like that in practice. You can call it what you want, but it does seem that something is always listening, something that understands the language of intent. So, I say.... Why not put it to work when it's free.... At least, I'd weigh the use of prayer and Light against the costs of working with various psychotherapists that operate on the mental level only - which can be represented by the outer corners of the box with the analogy Ride chose. But personally, I'd recommend a balanced approach of self-development + help that comes from the grace of heavenly energies, at the risk of becoming lazy and depending on the Divine too much. But that's just me.

Anyways, just some thoughts to offer another perspective, from a simple beginner that's quite curious about these arts. Fun discussion.

• Like 1

Life is alot like a vacuum cleaner. 

When it seems to suck the most, it may be doing the most cleaning. 

The attachments are there for a reason.  Use them properly and don't be to quick to let them go.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

You can lessen your unskillful attachments tenfold, but as long as you live in your flesh sack there will always be attachment. it is more about finding what is skillful and unskillful while faring the way. isn't it so? 

3 hours ago, GSmaster said:

And you cannot bring light to illuminate darkness, if you bring light somewhere, it will be light in the place you brought it to.

So nothing will ever be illuminated or revealed, you will just look at what you brought. 

If you want to work with internal darkness. You have stop fighting with it and denying it, exactly what you are doing by hoping to shed light on it.

I agree with this, the first paragraph you wrote is how it works.

And then as you said, we want to do more than reveal. Personally, I don’t see how bringing light to something is fighting and denying it. It’s like turning on the light in the room so you see what’s there in the first place, it’s practical.

Often we don’t want to bring our deepest flaws to Light, we prefer to bury them and never speak to anyone about them. It is said that some people with deeply immoral pasts can’t even look into the eyes of a Qigong Master. It takes courage to expose our deepest selves to the Light.

I’m not saying it’s the only way to do it, with Light. And I also think that what you said it true, you need to deal with it directly - not deny, or reject it. So I agree the first part of my post was useless - the reveal part - if you don’t act on it. 

bump

Its a credit to a great Anime show that it inspires such conversation.  As I understand it they had talented group of spiritual practitioners and martial artists working with the writers.

Sign in to follow this