Sign in to follow this  
Rocky Lionmouth

Ta Chuan, tips on good translations?

It’s that time again when this silly Red Panda or CatBear gets it in his unkempt head to give the I Ching a new chance to confuse me. Last time i got not far and without any insight.

I find there is a treatise, a Great one if not THE Great Treatise on the classic of change, i would read it if i knew one who makes it justice in this barbarian language of ours. 

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:wub:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

It’s that time again when this silly Red Panda or CatBear gets it in his unkempt head to give the I Ching a new chance to confuse me. Last time i got not far and without any insight.

I find there is a treatise, a Great one if not THE Great Treatise on the classic of change, i would read it if i knew one who makes it justice in this barbarian language of ours. 

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:wub:

I read the Wilhelm/Baynes translation and found it pretty clear.  Just bare bones of the foundational concepts, the ABC, the 2+2 of taoism. 

It's been an ongoing surprise for me for years that so few people bother reading THE (sic) Great Treatise and get the basics straight, and instead go to regurgitators of repeaters of obfuscators.  It's like enrolling in the calculus class without having learned to count the cat's legs, or understanding that you can count the legs of the table using exactly the same procedure.  Yet taoist cognition always builds up its complexity out of the simplest building blocks, the Simple and the Easy. If you have those, no amount of complexity can defeat you.  There can be two tables stacked one on top of the other, and two cats on each, and some cats are coming and others are going, and then the table can expand to infinity and some of the cats will hide in Shrodinger's boxes...  but if you know your ABC  Ta Chuan, you'll still be able to account for every paw. :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Form said:

lNk8U.jpg.fea9debfb56fe59794f752bbdbcc7f6f.jpg

Exactly what I'm talking about.  If you know there's one head and four paws per one cat, the invisible paws don't confuse you, it's 3X4=12 paws. 

I used to have three cat brothers who slept like that -- on top of me.  Two years of cat harmony -- and then they started fighting...    but that's for a different thread.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Two years of cat harmony -- and then they started fighting...    but that's for a different thread.  

Now that is typical.

Thanks for the pointers Meowski <3

Edit:

I must learn yet another alphabeth, for anyone who don’t know alphabets are to me as candy flavoured cocaine is to a yuppie from the 80s.

I shall find a way to procure the Wilhelm Baynes one.

Do you have any opinions on the Karcher translation? Found it fairly available even on Amazon but i cant tell a Wilhem from a Guillome right now so :3

Edit 2:

Anybody willing to share a ISBN of the WilhelmBaynes one? Just getting google to cough it up is, well, not fun.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
I love and hate the internet nowadays. Aloritms... humbug!
  • Like 1

The one by Wilhelm/Baynes is attached in the same volume in my I Ching copy -- ISBN 0-691-09750-X.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Taomeow said:

The one by Wilhelm/Baynes is attached in the same volume in my I Ching copy -- ISBN 0-691-09750-X.

YAS! Thank you Meows, purrs and headbutts, found it on e-book, will begin my studies NOW.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this