Starjumper

Translation please

Why didn't u ask a chinese or a translator in all these years? Maybe it was something to do back then :D

It says 臣弼林 Chenbilin at the top which I think is a brand name. Then I got too lazy to figure out the rest. My Chinese reading skills aren't great but knowing how to look up characters by radicals in an online dictionary like this one could help you.

• Like 1

I almost got the hang of the dictionary. The second line down says 膏藥毒濕應萬, "paste-medicine drug dampness should million." Not sure what that's all about. Some kind of moisturizing ointment?

Edited by Nintendao

On 12/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, Starjumper said:

My teacher gave me this medicine around 25 years ago, and I don't know what it's for.  So if you can read it let me know

med.jpg

毒藥毒源應萬 法治要如風毒乾濕島 情简每 治手珠及汗濕毒治

無違皮班亦適度 名回答瘋身膚 種爛起藤小痕 毒脚粒油兄療 冷水蛇 天流角”

出得擁關貼

倘遇出水難株 每日操一次

The source of the poison should be 10,000. The rule of law is like the wind and the wet and dry island. The non-violent leather class is also moderate in answering the crazy body skin, rotten rattan marks, poisonous foot oil, and cold treatment. Out of the post In the event of flooding, exercise once a day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LOL wait a minute! Reading from right-to-left, it says:

林弼臣
萬應濕毒藥膏

Lin Yichen's Wanyingshi Poison Ointment.

It's an anti itch/antibacterial ointment.

@MegaMind, is that from an OCR program? It's quite a bit jumbled, but can kind of make out some of the gist.

• Like 1

I believe “The rule of law is like the wet and dry island” is a quote from Han Feizi in the lesser known “read Laozi on shrooms” phase of his career.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MegaMind said:

yes lol

Nice! The main part should read along columns from top to bottom, starting on the right.

The smaller text on the left is instructions that I think says "Rub on once a day. If rubbing is difficult water and apply cloth"

Edited by Nintendao
revised translation
  • Like 2

Okay! The OCR got around %75 accuracy. Not bad considering the print is smudged in places. I filled in the missing pieces and horizontalized it all to come up with the completed version. It describes treating different kinds of chapped skin, rashes and bites.

林弼臣
萬應濕毒藥膏

耑治皮膚
濕毒週身痕療
亁濕疥癩小兒胎
毒汗班各癬油螆角
虱及皮面起粒水流
如珠違生爛脚冷天
裂手無名腫毒均
能治之

治法
每日揉一次
倘遇出水難揉
用布開貼

• Like 1

Thanks @Nintendao , my teacher gave me that antique stuff he brought from China.  I think he gave it to me because I had a little bit of dermatitis, so it is right for antibacterial, anti-itch.  He wasn't sure if it would help.  I never used it much, but it has a real nice smokey smell to it

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 4:46 PM, Nintendao said:

Okay! The OCR got around %75 accuracy. Not bad considering the print is smudged in places. I filled in the missing pieces and horizontalized it all to come up with the completed version. It describes treating different kinds of chapped skin, rashes and bites

林弼臣                 The name of the inventor
萬應濕毒藥膏     Multipurpose poultice

耑治皮膚           Especially a cure for skin
濕毒週身痕療   Itchy body
亁濕疥癩小兒胎 
毒汗班各癬油螆角
虱及皮面起粒水流    bubbles with fluid on the skin surface  
如珠違生爛脚冷天   athlete's foot cracks in the winter
裂手無名腫毒均      cracked skin on the hands 
能治之                     all may be cured

治法 Instructions
每日搽(揉)一次         Apply once a day