thelerner

Sorry there's no Instant Chat here, interesting people online

Just what I said above.   I see some friends here online and it'd be nice to chat live with them but seems like there's no easy way. 

Its a cold winters day..

• Like 1

there was a slack chatroom but Sean deleted the link.  it does still exist in cyberspace tho'

There's a tiny bit of activity there.  Wonder why sean dropped the link?

Edited by cheya

Chatting was nice on occasion, but after trying Slack for a while, found I didn't care for it.

When we lost the simple site specific chat feature and found Slack was the only option, I shrugged and let go... "C'est La Vie".  Out of curiosity, (and evidently withering memory recall) the old simple chatroom feature is not available for this edition of the forum software? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Chatting was nice on occasion, but after trying Slack for a while, found I didn't care for it.

When we lost the simple site specific chat feature and found Slack was the only option, I shrugged and let go... "C'est La Vie".  Out of curiosity, (and evidently withering memory recall) the old simple chatroom feature is not available for this edition of the forum software? 

It caused you start speaking French!  That truly is a disaster ;)

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Apech said:

It caused you start speaking French!  That truly is a disaster ;)

You speak more French that you would expect ! Half of English vocabulary is based on French words incorporated in modern English with English accent (same case as Creole). You remember Guillaume Le Conquérant, the guy you called Normand :)

The most incredible part is that after 4 centuries of french incorporation at the end of the hundred year's war (1420) you decided to mask it partially.

You latinized many french words such as all the A-T-E verbs are french latinized (interroger -> interogate), same for A noms (diplome -> dilploma), ou OUS adjectives (anonyme -> anonymous).

Sounds crazy ? Why a name which came in English through the french "salive" would become latin saliva in 1420  in any regard ? How can any word came from latin to english from 1000 to 1800 ?

It's often french or old french words from latin origin (french is from latin origin) that has been disguise to look like the latin words they have been before they were french (but are not either) but not always any fantasy is possible with language !

Now let's have a little amusement and see how many french world can I notice in that post ?

I warn you, It's shocking !

ENGLISH - FRENCH

expect  - expectation

vocabulary - vocabulaire

based - baser (pronounce "basey")

incorporated - incorporer

modern - modern

accent - accent

case - cas

remember -  remembrer (not used anymore)

Normand - Normand

incredible - incredible ; this one is particularly interesting https://www.etymonline.com/word/incroyable#etymonline_v_6350

part - part

incorporation - incorporer

war - this one you find french with Normand accent ! ; guerre pronounced "wer" by local french turned "war" pronnounced by english speaker

decided - décider

mask - masque/masquer

partially - partial

verbs - verbe

nouns - nom

adjectives - adjectif

sounds - son

regard - regard

origin - origine (etymonline did not trace it but it entered english vocabulary in 1400, so...)

disguise - déguiser

fantasy - fantaisie (almost same prononciation)

possible - possible

language - langage

amusement - amusement

notice - notece (not used anymore but the word "notice" is modern french)

post - poste

particularly - particular (not used anymore but the word "particulier" is modern french)

interesting - " from Old French interest "damage, loss, harm" (Modern French intérêt), from noun use of Latin interest "it is of importance"  meaning it came in french from latin then english

pronounced - prononcé

turned - tourné

damage - domage

shocking - choc

DONE

I checked everything on https://www.etymonline.com/

but honestly it was already obvious :) or should I say evident !

Edited by CloudHands

1 hour ago, CloudHands said:

You speak more French that you would expect ! Half of English vocabulary is based on French words incorporated in modern English with English accent (same case as Creole). You remember Guillaume Le Conquérant, the guy you called Normand :)

The most incredible part is that after 4 centuries of french incorporation at the end of the hundred year's war (1420) you decided to mask it partially.

You latinized many french words such as all the A-T-E verbs are french latinized (interroger -> interogate), same for A noms (diplome -> dilploma), ou OUS adjectives (anonyme -> anonymous).

Sounds crazy ? Why a name which came in English through the french "salive" would become latin saliva in 1420  in any regard ? How can any word came from latin to english from 1000 to 1800 ?

It's often french or old french words from latin origin (french is from latin origin) that has been disguise to look like the latin words they have been before they were french (but are not either) but not always any fantasy is possible with language !

Now let's have a little amusement and see how many french world can I notice in that post ?

I warn you, It's shocking !

Reveal hidden contents

ENGLISH - FRENCH

expect  - expectation

vocabulary - vocabulaire

based - baser (pronounce "basey")

incorporated - incorporer

modern - modern

accent - accent

case - cas

remember -  remembrer (not used anymore)

Normand - Normand

incredible - incredible ; this one is particularly interesting https://www.etymonline.com/word/incroyable#etymonline_v_6350

part - part

incorporation - incorporer

war - this one you find french with Normand accent ! ; guerre pronounced "wer" by local french turned "war" pronnounced by english speaker

decided - décider

mask - masque/masquer

partially - partial

verbs - verbe

nouns - nom

adjectives - adjectif

sounds - son

regard - regard

origin - origine (etymonline did not trace it but it entered english vocabulary in 1400, so...)

disguise - déguiser

fantasy - fantaisie (almost same prononciation)

possible - possible

language - langage

amusement - amusement

notice - notece (not used anymore but the word "notice" is modern french)

post - poste

particularly - particular (not used anymore but the word "particulier" is modern french)

interesting - " from Old French interest "damage, loss, harm" (Modern French intérêt), from noun use of Latin interest "it is of importance"  meaning it came in french from latin then english

pronounced - prononcé

turned - tourné

damage - domage

shocking - choc

DONE

I checked everything on https://www.etymonline.com/

but honestly it was already obvious :) or should I say evident !

Thank you so much, dear chap, but I was already aware of the origins of English.  I would say though that we never call William the Conquerer, Normand ... although he was a Norman (i.e. North man).  Which means, of course that although he did speak French he was actually descended from Norse men who had settled in that part of northern France which came to be known as Normandy.  That very same place where our grandparents stormed the beaches to throw out the Nazi scum some 900 years later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Apech said:

Thank you so much, dear chap, but I was already aware of the origins of English.  I would say though that we never call William the Conquerer, Normand ... although he was a Norman (i.e. North man).  Which means, of course that although he did speak French he was actually descended from Norse men who had settled in that part of northern France which came to be known as Normandy.  That very same place where our grandparents stormed the beaches to throw out the Nazi scum some 900 years later.

Yes, so you were invaded by north men speaking french and living in France for about 4 generations led by a north men son of a french woman (but north men you know, not french xD), then you saved the France 900 years later xD xD xD

I like french bashing too, always sounds like a call for revenge

Edited by CloudHands

37 minutes ago, CloudHands said:

Yes, so you were invaded by north men speaking french and living in France for about 4 generations led by a north men son of a french woman (but north men you know, not french xD), then you saved the France 900 years later xD xD xD

I like french bashing too, always sounds like a call for revenge

We were very nice to the Huguenots and we eat camembert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All of you open your third eyes and chat directly. Why do you need a chat app for that? 🙄😇

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:03 PM, dwai said:

All of you open your third eyes and chat directly. Why do you need a chat app for that? 🙄😇

To slow down the cacophony of everyone babbling like little brooks or thundering over each other like crashing waves?

• Haha 1

Yes bring back the chat! The fact that this forum doesn't have one is insane! I mean it's Dao Bums! All people do is ramble non-sense here 24/7 anyway!