Boerewors

Some more advice needed on practice

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It actually isn't a problem to mix currents, AFTER you have reached a level of internal skill/accomplishment. My understanding is that you will know which currents are compatible and which aren't.

One of my Masters said to me very seriously, 'Dedicate yourself to me, then once you reach a certain level feel free to train with whoever you want.'

The reason he said not to mix and match was that the different intentions of practice can be counter productive with each other, waste time, and confuse your energy body and development. At best you waste time, at worse you develop in painful ways or cause health issues.

Best of luck,

John

This is the type of constructive advice I appreciate, thank you very much John. I will take heed of your generous advice, and do some soul searching to understand what the core of my path will be, then build everything else around it in time. Have a pleasant day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Boerewors said:

I guess the last quote is an example of me being naive and self-entitled huh? Or is it simply that you neglected to read anything I typed, and resorted to jumping to the conclusion that I must be some arrogant, self-entitled fool, who thinks I'll be an immortal in a couple of days, despite the fact that I mentioned that I intend to accomplish it in a number of decades. Maybe you got offended because your friend was called out for his rude and repugnant behavior, but guess what, that's not my problem.

Biting the hand that feeds, eh?

First of all, he isn't defending me so much as warning you in a more amicable manner in contrast to my blunt indifference.

Second of all, you've got some thin skin to think that everything that's been said is a personal attack. God forbid you see the twisted little ball of your insecurities and anger inside you come out in your practice and think that it's a confirmation of power you believe you have.

Last of all, the one who has been rude is you, because of your certainty in your self-importance, when all that's been done is people warning you of your beginner's mistake that is a waste of time at best, and dangerous and harmful at worst. 

If his attitude is a result of his work under his current master, I suppose it's a negative reflection upon his master's ability to proper instill manners, which in turn reflects badly upon his master.

It's much easier to look at someone who has skill and accomplishment and see them as having nothing of value because they unnerve you and challenge your paradigm. No one is forcing you to save time and to keep yourself safe, but you also have no qualifications to discount the skill we do have, and confidence to be indifferent to whatever you think or throw at us for whatever you've rationalized to be a mark of skill and development (hint: you've got none, especially the manners you boast about).

Actually, you're pretty thin-skinned to think everything is an insult, which means you really don't know what it means to commit to these arts and this path--Taoists are known to laugh at themselves and each other, and know when there is an absence of respect, which in this case, is a sign of your lack of skill or power, and this is what we see as "peacocking" and chest-beating. All bark, no bite; you talk about no manners but demonstrate you've got none yourself, then say there's no skill but have nothing to speak of as an admitted novice. Sure. 

I'm  well aware of how obedient and orthodox most Daoists are, and also how arrogant.

Speaking from personal experience being arrogant yourself, too? 

I guess you probably think immortality is only achievable through Daoist methods, well it's not.

Straw man and putting words in his mouth--this is probably why you get angry: you imagine people saying things that they aren't saying. You really need to stop doing that for your own sake.

I'm interested in approaching it from the Hermetic perspective as well as Daoism, I could approach it from a Shamanistic, Hindu, Buddhist, or Heathen esoteric perspective as well.

"Immortality Elixir Buffet! If this western selection doesn't interest you, check out the Chinese there, the Mexican here, and the Indian back there!" 

Nobody was being rude to you initially, your friend was rude and was called out on it, now you're upset too, judging by the fact that you've neglected to properly read much of anything I typed.

For a guy apologizing for potentially being rude or disrespectful in the first page of this thread, it's a good thing you did because you've consistently shown rudeness and been called out on it too since then, and refuse to acknowledge it.

Based on what freeform wrote, he was trying to be helpful with a more amicable and relatable example, but you choose to take something that's sweet and turn it into shit--normally, Taoists do it the other way around. It's like you want to try Taoist methods, but failed to have read the Tao Te Ching or other texts (which I even quoted above!). 

I guess that precludes you and Earl Grey since you're both lacking in both manners and grace. Carry on.

Between me and you, it's obvious you would dismiss any teacher I could think of as rude or a con artist for what they make you do and what they charge, and they would see you as a guy who doesn't even make it past the front gate to stand in front of a door for three days and beg to be let in, then work for several years doing nothing but chores until they might let you see them practicing a technique and never teach you. 

Cultural sensitivity and self-awareness don't seem to be your strengths. 

And just so you know, I've already mentioned other avenues, so it didn't just pop into my head once I read a book on Daoism. Get over yourself.

Amazing: I come in as a varsity player of the college football team warning you about what you're getting into when you say you want to play seriously and what a coach expects and the life it requires, and you react like I'm a thug who insulted your mother at the bar. Freeform, however, comes as a retired player himself who trained with the big leagues trying to let you know what the ones scouting for talent look for, hoping to save you some unnecessary blood, sweat, and tears, and you treat him like he just cheated you out of your college money. 

Get over yourself, bro. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 3

Humility is the only way to survive in any kind of spiritual path. I find myself in a position of being driven to individual practice, not because I don't want a teacher but because there is none currently available to me (apart from internet correspondence). The temptation to jump ahead, make things up, etc. is huge and dangerous. You have to try to be the empty hub and not the flashy wheel. Anything not done in service, love, and respect to our fellow beings will collapse on itself.

"Mixing currents" is of course something that happens in Daoism itself, but it should never be done without patient and sober reflection based on practice and understanding. You have to be very familiar and experienced with a given system before you have an idea of what parts of it can be  work together with other systems. You have to know the rules- not just academically- before you know how they can be bent without danger.

It's edifying and beautiful to contemplate the lives of great masters and aspire toward their attainments, but we've got to recognize how far away we are from that, both in our own lives and the world we live in. We are groping in the dark. If we do any good, it is better to ascribe it to others and to the merciful spirits that help us, than our own worthiness.

Self-aggrandizers are everywhere around us, in religion and in every other field. Why not just humble ourselves, put away any notion of our own merit, and let our glory and merit be that of the great assembly of teachers, immortals, and sacred spirits?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@Boerewors

In my short time here in TDB it is the first time i have seen someone verbally attack the user "freeform".

You really need to chill. He is never emotionally invested in his posts and he is never critical without reason.

Also consider the possibility that freeform and Earl grey act as unofficial gatekeepers to their respective masters.

This means that there is a chance that you have closed these avenues forever because you failed the character test.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zork said:

This means that there is a chance that you have closed these avenues forever because you failed the character test.

Judging by their behavior I'm not interested in exploring their avenues, so I guess the feeling is mutual. I don't like narrow-mindedness, and as such we'd be a bad fit.

6 minutes ago, Zork said:

In my short time here in TDB it is the first time i have seen someone verbally attack the user "freeform".

And in my short time here I have unfortunately been greeted with so many armchair masters that I can easily see why people like Damo Mitchell, JAJ, and Thunder Wizard left this forum. If they were so proficient they wouldn't need to boast, it's a subconscious tell that they realize they're full of shit.

I did start out with respect, they continued to impose dogma upon me, so I'd say if I tell somebody I don't like something, and they continue with it, and I react in an unpleasant way towards them, they were asking for it. I made it clear that I'm into a syncretic stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

It's much easier to look at someone who has skill and accomplishment and see them as having nothing of value because they unnerve you and challenge your paradigm. No one is forcing you to save time and to keep yourself safe, but you also have no qualifications to discount the skill we do have, and confidence to be indifferent to whatever you think or throw at us for whatever you've rationalized to be a mark of skill and development (hint: you've got none, especially the manners you boast about).

You haven't demonstrated any skill, and taking you at your word would be the mark of a fool. You and your pal's little power trip was an indication of the subconscious realization that you're way off where you claim to be. Why are you even wasting our time with this thread if you're so superior? Maybe because you neglect your practice and are all mouth? Hmmm... Seems likely.

and they would see you as a guy who doesn't even make it past the front gate to stand in front of a door for three days and beg to be let in, then work for several years doing nothing but chores until they might let you see them practicing a technique and never teach you. 

Don't care what that hypothetical teacher might think anyway. Once again, a great indication of what an obedient person you are. Just because you seek validation from others, don't think it's the same for me.

Speaking from personal experience being arrogant yourself, too? 

Perhaps, but then again I'm not claiming to be some advanced student, who's wasting his time on a forum trying to convince people he can shoot laser beams from his eyes because he has some kind of "skills". 

Taoists are known to laugh at themselves and each other, and know when there is an absence of respect, which in this case, is a sign of your lack of skill or power, and this is what we see as "peacocking" and chest-beating.

Says the guy on his power trip trying to convince me that his way of thought is superior to all others. Okay dude, keep contradicting yourself.

Straw man and putting words in his mouth--this is probably why you get angry: you imagine people saying things that they aren't saying.

It's pretty much implied when keyboard-Daoists proceed to want to force their dogma on you, which indirectly implies that all other forms of high magic / internal alchemy is invalid.

Get over yourself, bro. 

Ditto.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Boerewors said:

And in my short time here I have unfortunately been greeted with so many armchair masters that I can easily see why people like Damo Mitchell, JAJ, and Thunder Wizard left this forum.

Armchair masters???? :lol:

Freeform just told you that he stood in zhan zhuang for 5 hours. How long can you stand in "embracing"?

7 minutes ago, Boerewors said:

I did start out with respect, they continued to impose dogma upon me, so I'd say if I tell somebody I don't like something, and they continue with it, and I react in an unpleasant way towards them, they were asking for it. I made it clear that I'm into a syncretic stuff. 

No you didn't. Many systems can't be mixed and you are in no position to know which.

1 minute ago, Boerewors said:

Judging by their behavior I'm not interested in exploring their avenues, so I guess the feeling is mutual. I don't like narrow-mindedness, and as such we'd be a bad fit.

Did you ever consider that such a behavior sometimes is used to trigger people into revealing who they really are so that they weed out the unworthy?

• Like 3

The parties have made there positions and animosity clear. 

So, at this point are there any questions or statement that move the original OP along, ie advice on esoteric practice?  Without getting back into personal tit for tat? 

My general advice is marry one art, commit, practice with integrity.  Later on flirt with others.  I also had the bad habit of getting too intellectual.  Too much reading and thinking.. too little time on the mat. 

For awhile I did an interesting fire practice I picked up from 5elements.  Very interesting and kept me interested in the tumo practice.  Which would later lead me to Wim Hof.   Practice.. evolves but is best when it goes deep. 

• Like 5

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:50 AM, Boerewors said:

Daoism on it's own, doesn't appeal to me that much, this is why it took so long for me to get into it. Daoism viewed from a pagan and Pythagorean-Orphic lens does. So to me, the works of Thunder Wizard will probably be inspiring because from what I understand,  he took what one current lacked, namely the energetic practices and Neidan, from another, breaking away the cultural and dogmatic attachments, and added it to another, completing it.

"Cultural and dogmatic attachments" are inextricable from any spiritual practice. They are not accidents. They may be more or less fluid or ambiguous but that doesn't mean they're readily interchangeable or, even less, negligible. When I try to empty out the cultural content of a practice something else must fill the space. More than likely that is whatever is surrounding me and (often unconsciously) shaping my own decisions and preferences. That means that whatever practice I adopt becomes weakened, distorted, or even hijacked by forces inimical to its normal intent. (This is what uneases me about "Chaos Magick" which, while vocally eschewing dogmatic systems or seeing them as interchangeable tools in the service of what "works", clearly does assume some unspoken dogmas that look a lot like  run-of-the-mill modern egoism and consumerism. )

You say you are not particularly interested in Daoism itself, but only interested insofar as you think it supplies something missing from your Pythagorean-Orphic tradition. Are you sure? Is there really nothing in the traditions of Neo-Platonism, hermeticism, Western alchemy, Jewish, Christian, and Islamic mysticism, all of which are deeply influenced by or proximate to the tradition you profess, that could fill this gap? Have you really mastered this tradition enough to find it missing an important piece that needs to be imported from a tradition with a very different historical and cultural background? Are you sure there isn't something you overlooked or misunderstood? And if there isn't, is it really not possible to elaborate something to fill this gap on the basis of principles native to your chosen system?

Now if you respect the Daoist practices because of their long history and accumulated knowledge, that's great, but then you have to also respect what you seem to be dismissing as baggage- namely the cultural and doctrinal underpinnings. You have to go deep into this tradition before you can plug in bits of it to your existing practice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Boerewors said:

now you're upset too

Not upset in the least actually :)

You are right that I haven’t pandered to your self interest - but being rude or offensive was not my objective.

My objective was to help you see things from someone else’s perspective - but being offended seems to have gotten in the way of that for you. That really doesn’t bother me - I have have no interest in challenging your views if you’re not interested in having them be challenged.

What’s more important to me is that there are others with similar questions to you - silently reading and taking things on board. If this exchange has helped anyone else getting started in these arts, then I’m happy - if not, then a bit of my time has been wasted - but so be it :)

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Boerewors said:

he can shoot laser beams from his eyes

Wait, who said anything about lasers! So, that is one of the goals of Taoism?

Behold! The power of real chi kung:

giphy.gif

Actually it sounds like just the kind of thing you'd want to prevent from happening..

aeoUtU6.gif?noredirect

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Boerewors said:

stuff.  

i think the way you've handled things so far are very respectable. So kudos to you.

your reading of some people are fairly accurate though not complete. One of them, completely inflated ego, and will be bothered by anyone who progresses in any other way than the way they were taught. On top of that, there are very subtle things you'll pick up on that are incredibly childish. jealosy being an example. if you want my advice, simply ignore. there's nothing positive out of it.

The other person, actually does want to help but they're also slightly stuck in dogmatic and old (possibly limited) ways of thinking. though that's they're choice and it's ok. Either way there's multiple ways to get to the top of the mountain. Each person has their path, not to mention the many side routes one will need to take as well. Don't be rigid.

From this thread you're going to carry out that dumb energy you'll have picked up from a couple in here. Those things being fear, anger, confusion, doubt.

I do have advice in regards to practice, but you've gotten some good enough already. My advice on the side would be more like don't be fearful, but don't be stupid either. Be cautious but be brave. Confusion is okay. the the thread already shows some caution.

Don't do something as a result of dumb energy you may take from here. Let it all go, as this is your own journey. From how you seem to perceive things and communicate, you have more than enough to get started on your own. Though getting an instructor i would definitely recommend, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have one. That being said, i have been okay on my own journey thus far. But  have had to learn certain things the hard way due to experimenting and what not. (only recommended with safety measures in place). If you're going solely off instruction and precaution, you should be fine.

T be honest, there's so much information out there and here that would be more than enough to keep you safe, as long as you're not too crazy or impatient.

Things you would research for safety are things like:
- sex, masturbation

- exercise

- posture

- physical limitations not aware of yet

- body anatomy

- breathing

- balance between left and right, front and abck

- drugs

- when to practice

- eating

- being in full focus

I want to address again, don't do anything out of fear. Fear itself is what kills. Which is why i despise dumb, egotistical advice. They manifest the very warnings or cautions they give to others. Bc you don't want to do what they say, they want to manifest it by sending you that energy. Don't let it, hence the beginning of my post.

I want to address again as well, be cautious, patient, focused, and keep your heart pure. Never settle for dogma or even the most traditional ways of thinking, even proven. always look for truth. Traditional ways of thinking do have truth. But not all of it is. Find those truths, and find the faults.

Remember, someone had to create these arts right? People like you and I. Everyone has that same potential, the difference is we are lucky enough that someone else paved the way with information. But focus on information and forget where all that knowledge truly came from, is as big if not more of a stupidity as not utilizing information.

Because that's the reason why you're doing this in the first place. To reconnect to the source, not to memorize books and quotes to show off to everyone or any one.

I promise you, pureness and sincerity is the shortcut. Not the information or the studying.

Edited by welkin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, welkin said:

i think the way you've handled things so far are very respectable. So kudos to you.

your reading of some people are fairly accurate though not complete. One of them, compeltely inflated ego, and will be bother  by anyone who progresses in any other way than what they were taught. On top of that, there are very subtle things you'll pick up on that are incredibly childish. jealosy being an example. if you want my advice ignore. there's nothing positive out of it.

The other person, actually does want to help but they're also slightly stuck in dogmatic and old (possibly limited) ways of thinking. though that's they're choice and it's ok. Either way there's multiple ways to get to the top of the mountain. This is the one to be weary about.

From this thread you're going to carry out that idiotic energy you'll have picked up from a couple in here. Those things being fear, anger, confusion, doubt. If it's not true so be it.

I do have advice in regards to practice, but you've gotten some good enough already. My advice on the side would be more like don't be fearful, but don't be stupid either. Be cautious but be brave. Confusion is okay. The fact that you created this thread is already caution.

Don't do something as a result of idiot energy you may take from here. Let it all go, as this is your own journey. From how you seem to perceive things and communicate, you have more than enough to get started on your own. Getting an instructor i would definitely recommend, and this is coming from someone who doesn't have one. That being said, i have been okay on my own journey thus far. And i have had to learn certain things the hard way on my own due to experimenting and what not. (only recommended with safety measures in place).

But to be honest, there's so much information out there and here that would be more than enough to keep you safe, as long as you're not too crazy or impatient.

Things you would research for safety are things like:
- sex, masturbation

- exercise

- posture

- physical limitations not aware of yet

- body anatomy

- breathing

- balance between left and right, front and abck

- drugs

- when to practice

- eating

- being in full focus

I want to address again, don't do anything out of fear. Fear itself is what kills. Which is why i despise idiotic, egotistical advice. They manifest the very warnings or cautions they give to others. Bc you don't want to do what they say, they want to manifest it by sending you that energy. Don't let it, hence the beginning of my post.

I want to address again as well, be cautious, patient, focused, and keep your heart pure. Never settle for dogma or even the most traditional ways of thinking, even proven. always look for truth. Traditional ways of thinking do have truth. But not all of it is. Find those truths, and find the faults.

Remember, someone had to create these arts right? People like you and I. Everyone has that same potential, the difference is we are lucky enough that someone else paved the way with information. But focus on information and forget where all that knowledge truly came from, is as big if not more of a stupidity as not utilizing information.

Because that's the reason why you're doing this in the first place. To reconnect to the source, not to memorize books and quotes to show off to everyone or any one.

I promise you, pureness and sincerity is the shortcut. Not the information or the studying.

I really appreciate your advice, I do think it's what I needed to know from one who has walked this road before. I hope to be able to put into practice what you suggest diligently, and will take to mind the philosophical advice given, it's pure gold. I wish you a pleasant night my friend, and will look forward to reading more of you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sure, believe i am an armchair master all you want and listen to the advice and characterization of welkin, himself the established armchair master of this forum who came six months ago asking questions and then began trolling multiple threads. Or the likes of Gendumb and how everything is explained by colonialism, who will eventually raise a fuss about how you're living in a gated community in South Africa. 

No surprise and no concern to me; you deserve each other.

Enough people I’ve spoken with have seen my skill as I have also passed the metrics that determine it in lineages to not care if you believe I’m real or fake, and enough students of mine have replicated it too. 

Again, my skill isn’t a question here, the concern from page one was your safety that turned into your inability to take feedback and hostility towards anyone pointing out you’re riding into Detroit. Not my problem.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zork said:

Armchair masters???? :lol:

Freeform just told you that he stood in zhan zhuang for 5 hours. How long can you stand in "embracing"?

No you didn't. Many systems can't be mixed and you are in no position to know which.

Did you ever consider that such a behavior sometimes is used to trigger people into revealing who they really are so that they weed out the unworthy?

Hey, if I really wanted to be mean, I could tell him to go check out the guys who do Mo Pai and Lone Man Pai. 

The former would not even acknowledge him, the latter might interest him because they do mix chaos magick with neigong and are pretty accessible, but whether he's got enough understanding of magick is irrelevant since it's their own way of using magick. 

And of course, Starjumper himself is a guy who has a lot to say about wizards, especially the weather wizard on page one of this thread.  

While I'm at it, the actual Crowley student Nungali would have a lot more to say about self-initiates.

Oh, and who could forget Mr. Orgasm at a Distance and his ffffrrrreeee PDF on Taoist Alchemy? 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, thelerner said:

For awhile I did an interesting fire practice I picked up from 5elements.  Very interesting and kept me interested in the tumo practice.  Which would later lead me to Wim Hof.   Practice.. evolves but is best when it goes deep. 

Can you tell me what you mean by fire method? I've heard of water methods like Kunlun, but don't necessarily understand why it's called water or fire methods. Also, could you point me in the right direction to check this method out myself? My apologies for the belated reply.

5 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Sure, believe i am an armchair master all you want and listen to the advice and characterization of welkin, himself the established armchair master of this forum who came six months ago asking questions and then began trolling multiple threads. Or the likes of Gendumb and how everything is explained by colonialism, who will eventually raise a fuss about how you're living in a gated community in South Africa. 

No surprise and no concern to me; you deserve each other.

Enough people I’ve spoken with have seen my skill as I have also passed the metrics that determine it in lineages to not care if you believe I’m real or fake, and enough students of mine have replicated it too. 

Again, my skill isn’t a question here, the concern from page one was your safety that turned into your inability to take feedback and hostility towards anyone pointing out you’re riding into Detroit. Not my problem.

Right now you're the undesirable troll that is unwanted in this thread though, so ironic you'd call another that. I guess your fragile ego must've been bruised. Maybe your master will give you a nice pat on the head today, and then you'll feel much better.

Also, the fact that people from different ideological perspectives are able to find similar ground is not necessarily a bad thing. To me what we perceive as objective reality, is that small percentage of our subjective realities that overlap with one another. So I don't mind people with different opinions as long as they don't impose them upon me. Have a pleasant day man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Boerewors said:

Right now you're the undesirable troll that is unwanted in this thread though, so ironic you'd call another that. I guess your fragile ego must've been bruised. Maybe your master will give you a nice pat on the head today, and then you'll feel much better.

Also, the fact that people from different ideological perspectives are able to find similar ground is not necessarily a bad thing. To me what we perceive as objective reality, is that small percentage of our subjective realities that overlap with one another. So I don't mind people with different opinions as long as they don't impose them upon me. Have a pleasant day man.

Not really, at this point it’s more amusing to see your reaction and certainty of yourself, then calling Welkin’s praise of ignorance a thing of similar ground with you. Confirmation bias at its finest.

Look up Diogenes the Dog if you’re so fond of praising ignorance that he directly said in his own post and your stubborn insistence on making your own system that disregards the dangers warned of already. Diogenes is also one reason that all the dog insults aren’t terribly offensive to me either (aside from the fact you’ll never achieve any of the goals you aim for).

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1

@welkin @Boerewors

Hi friends! I saw what was happening around here, so I put the emergency lights and sirens on and peddled here with my car as fast I could.

clown-car.thumb.jpg.c68292cf3569954a6c50f5e8276c43ef.jpg

*HONK! HONK!*

Hop on! Everyone is welcome aboard the clown car and there is always space for more people. I'll drive us all to safety, outside of mean and disrespectful rebuking. The rude people here don't understand how sad and miserable a clown can actually feel inside. That's why there is only laughter and smiles in where we are heading now.

Sure, there is the danger of your face being hit with occasional cream pies thrown by your fellow passengers and then strategic banana peels on the road might make the clown car difficult to maneuver for great comedic effect, but it's a safe ride overall. Plus it's very enlivening and fun!

It's safe to be with us clowns because no one would dare to disrespect and mock us for being silly folk, lest the abusers are revealed to be complete and dead serious fools themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sorry, I'm not going to just submit to your clown dogmatism and your armchair mastery of the clown arts. Keep your amateur cream pies out of my face until you take off the red nose and top hat and find your own true face and know the meaning of REAL CLOWN POWER. I was astrally face-pied by the great master Bo'ozobub (you wouldn't have heard of him) and I don't need any initiation from lesser mortals. I just came here for some pointers on the art of talismanic balloon animal crafting and have no interest in the ossified, orthodox clown liturgy you've erroneously constructed around it.

Edited by SirPalomides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Boerewors said:

Hi,

I see you stepped straight way into the maelstrom which is Daobums!  I'm going to say a few things at odds with advice you've already had just for the sake of thickening the stew.

If you are based in the Western tradition you are bound to be eclectic.  Its in the blood.  There's something about the western approach which is like this and no bad thing in my view.  I have studied/practiced (for years) Ancient Egypt, Hermeticism, to a certain extent Kabbalah and Christian mysticism, taken refuge as a Tibetan Buddhist, practiced qi gong and neidan and read about practically every thing else.  I should be a mess apparently - but I'm not (I don't think :) ).

If you have the right attitude then you can't read too much.  I agree if you read in the wrong way then you can confuse yourself - but if you read in the right way you will enrich yourself.  The secret is not to be grasping at truth or power - but more like a beachcomber wandering through the landscape picking up morsels and interesting objects here and there.  I like Damo Mitchells books but I haven't followed his system so I can't say how well they work.

You seem to get plenty of physical exercise which is good.  But you live in the high crime area - I've done this and it can be quite disruptive.  The thing is that the level and discordancy of energy coming at you can be hard to assimilate and leave you toxic.  So you need to address this somehow (maybe the best way is as you say moving to Holland).

In terms of your energy drain from shamanic practice - I am guessing here - that you have the idea that your energy levels are something which requires effort from you to maintain.  But although this is true on a minor level and you do need discipline - generally your energy level is dependent on the field around you - sun, season, moon, earth and so on - and you may like to think more in terms of letting yourself recharge rather than putting great effort in.  Simple meditation on breath will do this provided you relax mental control - or this is what I experience anyway.

The best thing for your subtle body and its health and integrity is conduct.  Being positive towards those around you, helpful if needed, be disciplined in diet and sex and so on, guard the three treasures - most of all treat your own being with respect as if you were someone you are taking care of.  Over time these things build up a really strong and radiant energy body.

Cheers

A.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 13

On 12/12/2019 at 12:10 PM, Earl Grey said:

That is why I have always had respect for you, Rara, because of your humility and openness.

Bless. And I hope that people can tell that under the surface, you have the best intentions for them.

The toughest of Bums have stopped yelling at me in recent years :) It helped that I stopped arguing back to the ones that knew their shit, no matter what their attitude.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Rara said:

Bless. And I hope that people can tell that under the surface, you have the best intentions for them.

The toughest of Bums have stopped yelling at me in recent years :) It helped that I stopped arguing back to the ones that knew their shit, no matter what their attitude.

Thanks mate, you’re right gold there. Whether they see my intentions to help or respect me isn’t a concern for me these days—I was laughing when watching a show the other week and having a discussion on mythology with some of the performers who are also friends of mine. If we all have archetypes, one I embody is the oracle-like individual who issues a warning and gets overlooked or dismissed because either my appearance or my words themselves are not to the taste of the ill-fated brothers but are heeded by the protagonist who develops power like in local Philippine folklore the Adarna, and such messengers are universal whether it is the weird sisters in Macbeth or old man in Adarna, Jeremiah in the Bible, or the dead boy in Pet Sematary

In other words, people hate and kill the messenger, like me once warning people a guy was bad news and still dating him or taking his “healing class”, then finding out he was a known rapist and rake; or that signing up for network marketing workshops and time shares aren’t going to make them the wealth that they think they’re going to get. Then in Taoist practice, people love to blame you for their issues while you’re holding the mirror, and so I go from messenger to magnificent bastard and have fun with it, because for fuck’s sake, everyone thinks they’re a prodigy and a dragon until you have them sit or stand a couple hours and tell them to do that for a few years.

Love the avatar you use— the character himself will be back in a sequel next year. Cheers.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1