Sign in to follow this  
SirPalomides

Deity seals

Now that I've discovered the wonder of Taobao I'm noticing an overwhelming amount of Taoist paraphernalia being sold to the public. There are consecrated swords, amulets, talismans, and lots of statues and images. One thing I noticed were the seals showing the names of various deities. A lot of them are made of peach wood, which I'm guessing has some special significance. A few seals are two- or six-sided with a different deity on each side (e.g. Jade Emperor, Xiwangmu, Wenchang, Jiutian Xuannu). What are these for? Are they for stamping talismans? Can anybody use them or are they something only a daoshi should be using?

Edited by SirPalomides

First and easiest, peach wood is sacred in Ritual Daoism because of the Peaches of Immortality, which are an important part of Daoist belief.

As for the rest of the things that you mention, certainly a Daoshi is going to be able to use these safely and effectively, and even prepare efficacious versions of these for others, but most of what is offered for sale is going to be useless to most people, however it is possible to learn enough through available books to be able to make some of it practical.  I reviewed just such a book here:

It is practically an encyclopedia of traditional Chinese symbolism as well as practical instructions in traditional Chinese Talismanic Magic.

I hope this is helpful.

ZYD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, Zhongyoungdaoist. I'd been eyeing that Benebell Wen book and your review finally convinced me to get a copy. I wish a teacher were near me to give direct guidance;  the second best thing, I suppose, is to plod carefully along with the help of good books and the advice of fellow practitioners (like the good folks at this forum).

Another question, what are 令牌 (lingpai)? They look like spirit tablets but with additional talismanic stuff carved on them. Are they objects of worship like statues or do they have some further ritual function? 

On 12/6/2019 at 5:00 AM, SirPalomides said:

Thanks, Zhongyoungdaoist. I'd been eyeing that Benebell Wen book and your review finally convinced me to get a copy. I wish a teacher were near me to give direct guidance;  the second best thing, I suppose, is to plod carefully along with the help of good books and the advice of fellow practitioners (like the good folks at this forum).

You can actually contact her directly and attend her workshops, as she travels often enough to reach more people. 

Sign in to follow this