Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Blood Qigong and External Alchemy

What is the significance of Blood in Taoism/ TCM/ Qigong ?

Does it contain the soul ... or some essential part of our existence ?

I ask in relationship to other traditions views on Blood ... Judaism on the non-consumption of Blood because it contains the soul of the animal.  Christianity on the consumption on JC's blood for communion.

I have heard that some Qigongs mix Qi and blood, and that that is good.

But I don't know the underlying theories.

Edited by rideforever
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rideforever said:

What is the significance of Blood in Taoism/ TCM/ Qigong ?

Does it contain the soul ... or some essential part of our existence ?

I ask in relationship to other traditions views on Blood ... Judaism on the non-consumption of Blood because it contains the soul of the animal.  Christianity on the consumption on JC's blood for communion.

I have heard that some Qigongs mix Qi and blood, and that that is good.

But I don't know the underlying theories.

In Qigong there is a relationship between qi and blood like there is in TCM as described here:

Qi and blood in Qigong

Anyone who is seriously interested in Qigong should study TCM enough to understand the underlying traditional Chinese physiology, and how it relates to Qigong practice.  It is also very useful to study Chinese herbology and traditional cooking theory.  The importance of these is taken for granted by the Chinese, but getting Westerners to take it seriously is more difficult.  A good introduction to these ideas is Between Heaven and Earth by Harriet Beinfild and Efrem Korngold, a book which I have been recommending since it came out in the early Nineties.

The other aspects that you mention have more to do with religion and magic and are not part of Qigong proper.  There is a lot of "superstiion" in religious and magical attitudes about blood, but there is also a core of practical knowledge, but that is another matter and too long and complex to examine now.

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this