Earl Grey

Appeal to Forum Community to Ban Member “Everything”

I’m going to do what everyone is wishing for right now: I’m calling upon the community to say right here and right now that we take action and let it be known to Sean that we want Everything out.

As Taomeow so sardonically observed, at least 16 out of 20 unread topics have been invaded by Everything. No conversation can be had without his interruption and disruption of the same garbage again and again, and while he may think he’s polite and cute, he is ultimately causing too much grief for everyone trying to have a simple conversation.

It is analogous to a group of friends having a nice conversation at a table only to be approached by an unwelcome pest who butts in and won’t shut up or go away even when he’s told to get lost.

This is our forum, our community. Let’s take it back.

If you agree with what I’m saying, sign here by posting in this thread and end it with,

”GET LOST, EVERYTHING!”

No need to discuss it. Say what you want all in one post and sign off as written above—you know he will come and start posting more nonsense and feed off of our reactions and engagement.

GET LOST, EVERYTHING!

Pandora's Box was opened, and I did it. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I agree! This forum has had far too much of this over the last few years which was approved by the former mod crew. 

• Like 2

I don't mind his stuff.  Some I ignore, some I read part of, enough to get the gist.  He's eccentric, wastes space, but he's also consistent and has a good heart. 

my two pesos. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

I’m going to do what everyone is wishing for right now: I’m calling upon the community to say right here and right now that we take action and let it be known to Sean that we want Everything out.

My wish would be a bit different... 

• Like 3

Prior to a ban, I would prefer flood limits (time between posts), post count limits, and word count limits on guys like him, Void, and others who can't help but ignore repeated entreaties to pipe down and listen to what others are saying.

Are there mods here any more?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Walker said:

Prior to a ban, I would prefer flood limits (time between posts), post count limits, and word count limits on guys like him, Void, and others who can't help but ignore repeated entreaties to pipe down and listen to what others are saying.

Agreed!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Walker said:

Are there mods here any more?

Sean has been offered lots of help.  It is up to him to use it.

I recommend those that take offence, to please put 'Everything' on their personal Ignore List.

This can be done under the account settings tab.

Its also a good opportunity to practice restraint.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

I recommend those that take offence, to please put 'Everything' on their personal Ignore List.

This is an interesting post. You could have kept silent and ignored this thread, but something motivated you to make suggestions.

Although there have been less-than-couth descriptions of the man here and elsewhere, I think the people who have voiced exasperation with Everything (and those with similar posting habits) here actually have motivations quite like the ones that brought you to join the discussion. You might not share their/our goal, but you, too, have a vision of this community that is important enough to you that you submitted your recommendations for others' consideration.

In my opinion, turning a blind eye is irresponsible if that which one's eyes have fallen upon appears to be in the process of turning good things to shit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't you think it's wonderful that we have the same skin color as the trees? 

And I don't even know why. But it is good just the way it is. 

I coulden't even change it, if I wanted to. 

You have all been so good to me. And I don't even know why. I never had a choice. But thank you so much for everything. I will hold all of you in my heart forever. I wish I knew why. But it is ok.

I have never been able to do anything without you. So thank you. For sharing so much with me. I never knew how much all of this ment to you. I thought it was just a fun thing or something. And it's even better than I could have ever imagined.

Thank you all so much. For everything. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, moment said:

Ah, spiritual cultivation, got to love it.

You need spiritual tractors to cultivate the spirit! :lol:

And combines to spiritual harvest of course.

Anyway, back on topic. Banning by popular demand..... hmmm i don't like it that much. Maybe a dislike button which can collapse the post for all users after a number of dislikes would be better. This still has problems in implementation though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zork said:

You need spiritual tractors to cultivate the spirit! :lol:

And combines to spiritual harvest of course.

^_^

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

I understand the frustration some members feel toward Everything and have felt it myself but I wish this was a quieter discussion.  Remember when Kar3n ruled the moderation scene?  Many have questioned the justice of her rulings; few questioned the fact of her authoritative presence.  Threads like this one didn`t happen because the matter was referred to Kar3n or some other member of the moderation team; people understood that action would be taken or it wouldn`t -- and that would be the end of it.

In the wake of Sean`s triumphant return, things feel a bit murky.  Is Sean acting as a one-man moderation team?  Do all the old rules still apply or have they changed?  We need a stronger sense of where we`re at.  Otherwise aggrievved Bums understandably take their grievances to the public portions of the board rather than dealing with things behind closed doors.  Having been the subject of group meetings myself (what the heck are we gonna do with Luke?) I do not wish that experience on anybody -- not even on Everything.  

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

I understand the frustration some members feel toward Everything and have felt it myself but I wish this was a quieter discussion.  Remember when Kar3n ruled the moderation scene?  Many have questioned the justice of her rulings; few questioned the fact of her authoritative presence.  Threads like this one didn`t happen because the matter was referred to Kar3n or some other member of the moderation team; people understood that action would be taken or it wouldn`t -- and that would be the end of it.

In the wake of Sean`s triumphant return, things feel a bit murky.  Is Sean acting as a one-man moderation team?  Do all the old rules still apply or have they changed?  We need a stronger sense of where we`re at.  Otherwise aggrievved Bums understandably take their grievances to the public portions of the board rather than dealing with things behind closed doors.  Having been the subject of group meetings myself (what the heck are we gonna do with Luke?) I do not wish that experience on anybody -- not even on Everything.  

And yet the aforementioned moderator favored certain political continuum and beliefs over others in her comments and rulings.  The administrator of that time hid entire active threads with no explanation. Checks and balances is a real problem.  A constitution of sorts in that regard approved by a 2/3 majority and accepted by Sean may be an answer. 

BTW, the only person who was always fair was Marblehead (as a semi-official moderator)

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, moment said:

And yet the aforementioned moderator favored certain political continuum and beliefs over others in her comments and rulings.  The administrator of that time hid entire active threads with no explanation. 

Hi moment,

I didn´t mean for my comment to be taken as approval (or denigration) of Kar3n´s moderation style.  Rather, I was making the case for a stronger moderation presence.  Decisions about banning and suspensions ought to be made, in my opinion, on the basis of established policies.  The question at hand is this: has Everything (or anybody else) violated clearly written rules of conduct?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Hi moment,

I didn´t mean for my comment to be taken as approval (or denigration) of Kar3n´s moderation style.  Rather, I was making the case for a stronger moderation presence.  Decisions about banning and suspensions ought to be made, in my opinion, on the basis of established policies.  The question at hand is this: has Everything (or anybody else) violated clearly written rules of conduct?  

I know you did not.  I take that upon myself.  I needed it as an example as to why clear policy is needed when using stronger moderation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

In terms of the previous mod crew, there was an obvious bias toward allowing a right wing cabal rule over political, global warming and other discussions. I could list any number of problems, but upon Sean’s return he listed as to what is not allowed!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Hi moment,

Isnt it a rule not to  quote someone via the quote box and change their words in that quote box  ?

He does that .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nungali said:

Isnt it a rule not to  quote someone via the quote box and change their words in that quote box  ?

He does that .

It should be! That was done to me last year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ralis said:

In terms of the previous mod crew, there was an obvious bias toward allowing a right wing cabal rule over political, global warming and other discussions. I could list any number of problems, but upon Sean’s return he listed as to what is not allowed!

This is true. It’s unfortunate that Dawei who was an otherwise excellent administrator had such a liking for Trump. And with rabid Trump supporter Karen as a moderator, it was too much.  To my mind, it was this bias, both expressed and covert, that made this forum such a friendly place for extreme rightwing political views; views that are the antithesis of every major spiritual tradition and especially that expressed by the Daodejing

However, whilst I certainly saw the need for Sean to intervene and redress the bias, he did so outside of the rules of this forum. These minimal rules have served this forum well in that it’s a dynamic site, full of vitality. Dawei, as administrator, was particularly strong on allowing discussion to be free flowing and, to my mind, showed wise judgement (aside from his strong pro-Trump bias) when deciding whether to take disciplinary action against anyone.  Prior to Sean’s intervention, all I thought that was necessary was to retire Karen as a moderator and replace her with a neutral or anti-Trump person. Karen herself had already served a long time as a moderator and was very hard working. She put a lot of herself into trying to help this forum run smoothly.  However, she had a strong combative streak, and that when combined with her strong political views severely compromised her ability to be an objective moderator.

I do not want to see any member banned except when they clearly violate the rules. This is a public forum open to anyone. If Daoism has any validity at all, then we must allow the freedom for the Dao to work its wisdom here. The quality of discussion here is a reflection of our collective de, especially that of those members who contribute the most. When things go awry in my own life, I have learnt through trial and error to examine my own attitudes rather than putting the blame on others.  Nothing wrong with expressing animosity, but ganging up on others is outside of what I would hope can be the ongoing spirit of this forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5