Sign in to follow this  
andyp78

Deep Diaphragmatic Breathing help

Hey guys, first serious post here. (So hey to all!)

I’ve been practicing deep diaphragmatic breathing for a good while now, following the Golden Flower Method (which I’m sure has it’s pros and cons). I’ve been practicing meditation for a long time now, so breathing and general energy work isn’t completely new to me.

What I’m not seeing is any changes, such as the energy movement described that moves down, round the bottom of your abdomen and back up the front. I can feel a general “gurgle” of energy sometimes, but definitely not this flowing movement that is suggested happens on its own. Has anyone hd success with this and  can offer any tips, suggestions and the like?

I understand there are a lot of parallels with general Daoist energy work, I’ve read the comprehensive guide to Nei Gong and there seems to be many.

Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome

Andy

I've been around some long time practitioners (example Michael Winn) and they gurgle and burp throughout long meditation periods.  Interesting phenomena which may or may not be what your experiencing.  No suggestions other then it might be a good sign. 

I'm interested in how people interpret the Golden Flower Method (ex https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/37570-golden-flower-thingamabobs/?do=findComment&comment=862716)

Can you tell me what your practice is like?  ie the breathing and focus.

Thanks.

Edited by thelerner

The Golden Flower is a fave of mine as passive systems go, so thought I'd respond.

So much that could be said but to keep it simple... 

2 keys (for me at least): 

- In all passive systems you have to turn off or at least down you ego as much as you can, ie practise holding gently onto a compassionate mind set whilst breathing. The instructions for doing this in the Golden flower are useless for the Anglo Saxon mindset as we has no sense of Xin. Therefore if you have no idea what that is then simply remember when you last felt a deep sense of relief, that you avoided something bad, to the point you even wanted to hug everyone! Thats the gateway state to a genuine sense of compassion, which has to happen 'too' you rather than be created from memory. Its the key to the release of the mental tension that will stop your qi dead in its tracks. 

- Pronounced flex forward of your actual coccyx on inhale, the true root lock. To be clear this is not tensing your pelvic floor or related muscles (that the guidance they give people who can't move their tail), you must learn how to use this to hold and direct your qi appropriately. If you cant move your tail forward, learn. I struggled for years with all kinds of crap advice with roots locks and RAB systems until I lucked out and found a decent teacher. And the difference in what happens is (quite literally) night and day. 

Lastly remember not to get fixated on movement in and around your LDT, its a passing stage. If you truly want to experience it then would recommend really opening and relaxing your KUA, which for most westerners is all about stretching your inner thigh. Butterfly stretch done last thing at night over a couple of months worked for me in the end. Gurgling and pulsing in your abdomen is as likely to be last nights pasta sauce as it is to be the rotation of your LDT. Only genuine sign of that rotation I know is a slight tugging or mild pain point when it starts to move and you may have gone through that without noticing a long time ago.      

What you are really looking for is the 2nd circulation of light, the actual secret ie when you see a rotating patch of light that over time turns into something resembling the Ying Yang symbol with a slow but steady rotation, then you know you are getting some where. You will see this after meditation first as a rule, but it varies.

Anyway hope that helps you - and hope you are ready for it.      

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this