Just wanted to start a thread here specifically devoted to Zhineng Qi Gong. I discovered this system in the spring of this year and have been practicing regularly since May. There are a few threads on here that mention it but no one thread devoted to it, so I thought I would start it up.

Cheers!

D

There's an excellent tutorial on udemy for lift qi up pour qi down. One of the teachers Jeremy Colledge was here on DB at one stage. He's fairly near me geographically and seems like a thoroughly nice chap. I practiced Zhineng for a while but not in any depth. Seems like a great system.

• Like 3

Cool, thank you @Vajra Fist. Maybe you can link Jeremy to this page if he is interested in contributing? I've only been practicing since May but have already seen significant changes in my system (albeit I was practicing in a variety of other traditions before I discovered ZNQG). The more I practice the more fascinated I become with this system.

5 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

There's an excellent tutorial on udemy for lift qi up pour qi down. One of the teachers Jeremy Colledge was here on DB at one stage. He's fairly near me geographically and seems like a thoroughly nice chap. I practiced Zhineng for a while but not in any depth. Seems like a great system.

Edited by dlc123

I was planning on getting into qi gong for the first time and was looking at Zhineng specifically to start.  I will check out the Udemy course mentioned above, but are there any other good video tutorials online?  What is the most "definitive" or "official" version/source of Zhineng qi gong?

• Like 1

@knowledgeseeker I've been doing Mingtong Gu's online program - chicenter.com and working  with local teachers where I live. There are a lot of different teachers who all have slightly different approaches.

• Thanks 1

I tried zhi neng a year ago and I felt it wasn't for me. I think there are better systems out there, but this depends of you of course.

One thing I like though is their emphasis on doing 100 squats every day. "100 squats a day and never catch a cold", they say!

Zhineng is the first qigong I practiced and an excellent lineage/practice.

3 hours ago, Toni said:

One thing I like though is their emphasis on doing 100 squats every day. "100 squats a day and never catch a cold", they say!

It is their wall squat, which are screaming hard while being anatomically excellent for alignment.

• Like 1

Primarily practicing Stillness Movement, and I learn from Spring Forest Qigong.

I feel very drawn to both, and both Masters are immensely experienced and skilled.

I'd be happy to talk about it more if you are interested and want to send a pm.

I would love to see more discussion on Zhineng. If you have done some searching you might find some of my posts regarding it. I've been practicing Qigong for almost a year now. After studying many systems I chose to make it my main practice. I like that it is an open system, Dr. Pang explains the reason for everything in his books, no secrets. I can attest to the LQUPQD course on Udemy. You'll find a review by me there.

After doing LQUPQD for a while I wasn't sure it was the system for me either. I explored other systems and now I'm back to Zhineng. I'm now learning the Level 2 Body Mind Method.

I think I've seen Mingtong Gu say that Zhineng is compatible with other systems. So, instead of doing 3 Centers Merge I prefer to do Zhan Zhuang Yiquan style as Master Lam Kam Chuen teaches it. I also do Ba Duan Jin, 13 Movement Tai Chi Chi Kung, bone breathing, and, of course, wall squats. Zhineng is considered more of a medical Qigong. I combine it with my practice of martial Qigong. I seperate the forms by time or do them on different days.

So, yes, yes, yes. I would love to see a Zhineng group get started on TDB.

Edited by escott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toni said:

Honestly I think fragrant qigong is easier and better for medical purposes

The movements in fragrant gong have always appeared as pretty shamanic, compared to zhineng which is clearly grounded in TCM. Would recommend other TCM based systems. Wild goose is excellent. Spring Forest is good too.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

The movements in fragrant gong have always appeared as pretty shamanic, compared to zhineng which is clearly grounded in TCM. My teacher used to say that fragrant gong can lead to spirit possession. Would recommend other TCM based systems. Wild goose is excellent. Spring Forest is good too.

Spirit possession is not what I’ve seen or heard from Dolic my teacher, but spontaneous movements can happen during catharsis or improper practice. It is also a Buddhist style that even Ji Gong was a lineage holder.

4 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Spirit possession is not what I’ve seen or heard from Dolic my teacher, but spontaneous movements can happen during catharsis or improper practice. It is also a Buddhist style that even Ji Gong was a lineage holder.

No offence implied. I know there are good people here like yourself who practice this style. I don't know a great deal about the system and it's possible my teacher at the time may have misinterpreted some of those spontaneous movements. I will edit my post accordingly. 

1 minute ago, Vajra Fist said:

No offence implied. I know there are good people here like yourself who practice this style. I don't know a great deal about the system and it's possible my teacher at the time may have misinterpreted some of those spontaneous movements. I will edit my post accordingly. 

No offense taken. It is also an often-misunderstood system because most people look at the free pdf or videos that list none of the nuances that were taught formally. No need to edit too.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

I have practiced the style for 9 months. What i can tell you is that spirit possession never happened. Each person has a different reaction to the system. I personally never experienced spontaneous movements with the style and i very rarely smelled anything.

What i did experience, was very intense dreams and visitations by entities. The system seems to protect the practitioner from non well meaning entities so I can't say i had much problems with it besides the WTF moments it caused.

The major problem of the system is the long list of requirements and restrictions that it has. And all must be adhered to, because in my case at least, any violation caused headaches!

• Like 1

Another reason I chose Zhineng is because I wanted to avoid all the weird stuff. Zhineng is derived from Soaring Crane, but with the intent of avoiding Qi Deviation syndrome. Zhineng is safe and gentle. Many years ago I experienced a premature Kundalini Awakening. At the time I didn't even know what Kundalini was or what had happened to me. I chose Zhineng because I did not want to repeat any similar experience and the aftermath.

• Like 2

@escott I also had an unintended Kundalini Awakening and am still dealing with some "aftermath". After almost a year of searching,  I've found Zhineng to be the system that gives me the most benefits without the least "qi sickness"... However I have had some experiences of spontaneous movement/qi purification while practizing Zhineng. A teacher I've worked with who studied directly with Dr. Pang told me that spontaneous experiences are common in ZNQG, especially among people who are already quite sick or have strong blockages.

Interesting discussion regarding Fragrant Qi Gong, but let's try to keep the convo here about ZNQG since that was the intention with creating the tread. In terms of @Vajra Fist comment about ZNQG being rooted in TCM, I would say based on my limited knowledge that's not entirely accurate. My understanding is that Dr Pang started Qi Gong practice at a very young age and is schooled in both TCM and Western Medicine but was increasingly frustrated with the TCM approach which led him to move strictly towards Qi Gong for healing. I believe he studied with somewhere between 15 and 20 masters of different Qi Gong styles so while there may be elements of TCM theory, there are also differences. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dlc123 said:

I have had some experiences of spontaneous movement/qi purification while practizing Zhineng. A teacher I've worked with who studied directly with Dr. Pang told me that spontaneous experiences are common in ZNQG, especially among people who are already quite sick or have strong blockages.

I experienced some trembling when I started doing Ba Duan Jin. I have not experienced any sensations of Qi doing Zhineng, though. That's the main reason I gave up on it for a while. Several weeks ago I felt compelled to do LQUPQD again. I have noticed that my mood has lifted, I am more calm, and my bad habits have diminished. So, instead of gross sensations of Qi the effect is much more subtle.

Do you do other practices besides LQUPQD?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, escott said:

I experienced some trembling when I started doing Ba Duan Jin. I have not experienced any sensations of Qi doing Zhineng, though. That's the main reason I gave up on it for a while. Several weeks ago I felt compelled to do LQUPQD again. I have noticed that my mood has lifted, I am more calm, and my bad habits have diminished. So, instead of gross sensations of Qi the effect is much more subtle.

Do you do other practices besides LQUPQD?

@escott I do Mingtong Gu's "Awakening Vitality" form, which is a simplified version of the Body-Mind form. I also do his sound healing practice which definitely stirs up some Qi.

During one over the summer class we did an extended Chen Chi practice which brought some pretty intense Qi sensations and during LQUPQD I sometimes feel the Qi gathering/warming at the Lao Gong point and at the tip of the middle finger. Also during Three Centers Merge (which I only practice sporadically) I've had some strong Qi sensations in the lower Dantian. 

Edited by dlc123

@escott I'm doing the online course "chi gong for life" which provides weekly lessons. I'm taking class with a local teacher in the northeast. Interesting to see the differences in approach - Mingtong is definitely molding the information to suit Western minds.

I would like to find a video of someone performing Straight Leg Sitting. I watched an interview with Ooi Kean Hin where he seemed to downplay LQUPQD in favor of Straight Leg Sitting. I've read written instructions of the technique, but it's a little hard to follow without also seeing it.