17 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Thanks for the offer, but I'm too computer illiterate to do that kind of thinkg, and don't have any of the equipment for it.  I just used the mic on the camera.

Anytime, what works for you is whats going to make it work in the long run. I’m burdened by the joy of fidgeting with sounds wth the equipment i got and the offer stands should you reconsider.

17 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Since you don't like talking heads, just turn your screen off and listen to the words, as if it was on radio or something.

That is solution oriented thinking! I’ll do that!

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 2:37 PM, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Anytime, what works for you is whats going to make it work in the long run. I’m burdened by the joy of fidgeting with sounds wth the equipment i got and the offer stands should you reconsider.

I do appreciate the offer, but I'm happy with it looking unprofessional.  It's a good hobby you have.  My hobby has been aircraft concept/stability design.

That is solution oriented thinking! I’ll do that!

Since this subject came up I'm now thinking of doing some blah blah videos without the talking head, but with a photo, maybe of me and/or of something else, and some of the Charles Bukowski videos are a good example of that.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2019 at 9:14 PM, Earl Grey said:

How about "New Age is Bullshit" and "People who try to learn from pirated PDFs and YouTube videos for free are Bullshit"?

Making videos of"Nei Kung, Mo Pai, MCO, etc are Bullshit", are primarily aimed at being educational, with racy titles, so that people can know when they are being lied to; plus of course, poking a sharp stick in the eyes of the fundamentalists, one of my favorite things.

I don't see how doing it to new age (rhymes with sewage) would be of much help to anyone.  In fact we are in a  new astrological age, and some of the things pertaining to it have value.

Some free Utube videos of chi kung are good stuff.  And pirated PDFs, what can be said that anyone cares about?  My book has been pirated and is available on PDF, for the really crude unedited version, and it costs more than a new book costs.

Edited by Starjumper

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

Making videos of"Nei Kung, Mo Pai, MCO, etc are Bullshit", are primarily aimed at being educational, with racy titles, so that people can know when they are being lied to; plus of course, poking a sharp stick in the eyes of the fundamentalists, one of my favorite things.

I don't see how doing it to new age (rhymes with sewage) would be of much help to anyone.  In fact we are in a  new astrological age, and some of the things pertaining to it have value.

Some free Utube videos of chi kung are good stuff.  And pirated PDFs, what can be said that anyone cares about?  My book has been pirated and is available on PDF, for the really crude unedited version, and it costs more than a new book costs.

New Age philosophy is not the same as the new astrological age. The new astrological age was scheduled in multiple astrology systems, so it's not really new per se, and New Age is what essentially boils down to a syncretic approach of combining multiple traditions while weeding out what isn't appealing into what feels good to the individual, using a lot of esoteric concepts in a watered-down manner. Some may say that's like Bruce Lee and weeding things out for what is useful and what is not, which is part of it, but it also weeds out depth of understanding. There are indeed New Age fundamentalists like suburban yogis or armchair martial artists who have a fundamental misconception of yoga or neigong based on things like leaked Mo Pai instructions or 30 Days of Yoga, for example--no depth and no real understanding beyond that if that's their primary exposure, and then making it about transmuting it all into love and other platitudes. 

I didn't say all YouTube or pirated PDFs are bad, but a good majority of it out there is garbage, and a lot of that garbage involves material from a well-known individual here whose courses and retreats in Thailand are commonly discussed among members here.

Good PDFs I know are the LKC book (even though it's incomplete in the final analysis) and good YouTube videos are obviously Fragrant qigong, except for when the practitioners have terrible form like two of the uploaders from Germany. 

• Like 1

That makes sense, but I'll just stick to my area of expertise, which is chi kung, and someone else can make those videos.  I appreciate the suggestions.

Edited by Starjumper

On 11/25/2019 at 2:37 PM, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Here is something you might be able to help me with.  Microphone noise.  To do voice overs I was using an ultra cheap computer clip on camera, which didn't have a pop filter and made 'S' sounds like a snake hissing.  So I got this high quality professional Shure SM48 directional mic that has a pop filter, but it adds a steenking background noise.  I made a short video of just the background noise so you can check it out, and maybe advise me as to the cause.  I tried unplugging the LED light, the keyboard and the power strip and none of that made any difference.  I'm using a USB connector cable to plug it directly into the computer.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

Yo Starman!

Hmmm, that is indeed a horrible background noise. I’ll swing by the lab during the week and see what i can make of it.

Quickest ”might do the trick”-fix is probably to see if your editing software has an equalizer that can turn down very narrow frequency bands.

Shure makes good stuff, but i’ve never tried direct-usb-to-computer interface microphones tbh, lemme check!

On 29/11/2019 at 1:38 AM, Starjumper said:

Microphone

I have had problems with my microphone & speaker (the ones that come with my laptop) which sound a lot like that !!!

Solution was to buy a small usb widget which has addition speaker / mic ports.  

It's cheap and works.

You might have to go into ControlPanel> Sound to set them up correctly although they are usually identified okay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-To-Mic-Speaker-Audio-5-1-Ch-Channel-3D-Sound-Card-Adapter-Virtual-For-PC/361119815373?epid=562098264&hash=item54146b16cd:g:E4sAAOSwAL9UavH7

On 11/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Starjumper said:

I'm using a USB connector cable to plug it directly into the computer.

I don't know much about this stuff but two things came to mind:

1. How close is the mic to the other electronic devices?   I think that causes feedback more than the hiss, but just asking.

2. Are there other devices that broadcast over frequencies around?  Like phone, tablets, wifi, etc.    Just thinking about interference.

3 hours ago, rideforever said:

I have had problems with my microphone & speaker (the ones that come with my laptop) which sound a lot like that !!!

Solution was to buy a small usb widget which has addition speaker / mic ports.  

It's cheap and works.

You might have to go into ControlPanel> Sound to set them up correctly although they are usually identified okay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-To-Mic-Speaker-Audio-5-1-Ch-Channel-3D-Sound-Card-Adapter-Virtual-For-PC/361119815373?epid=562098264&hash=item54146b16cd:g:E4sAAOSwAL9UavH7

Now that's amazing... a little doo-hicky does better than the built in ports.  Thanks for sharing that. 

20 minutes ago, dawei said:

Now that's amazing... a little doo-hicky does better than the built in ports.  Thanks for sharing that.

Yes they seem to be isolated from cross connections on the mother board.  Also I have read that on some mother boards there are restrictions on the use of the mic due to DRM concerns.  Another amazing thing is that you can connect the speaker to the mic directly with this usb device and record ... with no feeback at all.

• Like 1