I don't always agree with what you say, but I don't always disagree with what you say either.

The first few things you say at the start of this video are quite brutal and necessary for people to hear though in this age of people trying to get free stuff from pirating books and DVDs that are themselves watered down from the source, naming no names because we have identified a lot of the shills and shams here on the forum already.

Couple technical things for the video: audio and lighting are a bit hard on a shoestring, but maybe record a bit louder because I had to raise the volume to hear you and still needed to lean in to my speakers. The lighting is understandable considering the background you seem to want. I would probably let the text in the video linger for a few seconds more for people to read since it goes a bit fast without pausing. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Couple technical things for the video: audio and lighting are a bit hard on a shoestring, but maybe record a bit louder because I had to raise the volume to hear you and still needed to lean in to my speakers. The lighting is understandable considering the background you seem to want. I would probably let the text in the video linger for a few seconds more for people to read since it goes a bit fast without pausing. 

Thank you for the feedback.  What you said about the sound doesn't make sense because when I play it the sound comes through loud and clear at a moderately low volume setting.  I was raising my voice a little for the video, and it sounds a bit louder than the average Utube video to me.  The part about the lighting is on purpose.  I want the videos to look a bit amateurish on purpose, and not all polished like is done by someone who wants your money.  Another part of that is not showing my face, like most good ninjas or shamans, who wish to hide their eyes or their face, being silhouetted accomplishes that.  Similar to, but unlike SOG, who wears a silly mask.  Also unlike SOG, I don't shine a bright light on dust motes in front of the camera lens and call them spirits or orbs.

I hope some others will provide some feedback on the sound level, thanks.

• Thanks 1

Excellent perspective.

i listened with earbuds and the relative volume seems fine, but occasionally some wind is hitting the mic. Nothing detrimental and it’s even kinda cool. There might be an issue with echoing. You can try rigging some kind of drapes over the larger hard flat surfaces out there.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Thank you for the feedback.  What you said about the sound doesn't make sense because when I play it the sound comes through loud and clear at a moderately low volume setting.  I was raising my voice a little for the video, and it sounds a bit louder than the average Utube video to me.  The part about the lighting is on purpose.  I want the videos to look a bit amateurish on purpose, and not all polished like is done by someone who wants your money.  Another part of that is not showing my face, like most good ninjas or shamans, who wish to hide their eyes or their face, being silhouetted accomplishes that.  Similar to, but unlike SOG, who wears a silly mask.  Also unlike SOG, I don't shine a bright light on dust motes in front of the camera lens and call them spirits or orbs.

I hope some others will provide some feedback on the sound level, thanks.

Yes, I like being able to see your face compared to SoTG because at least for me, the mask is not inviting, but it works for him and his students at least.

The lighting gives it a natural feel, so if it’s also a way of inviting students to your retreat, it gives an honest picture of the environment.

As for audio, I am not sure why, but Vimeo in general with my own work tends to have lower volumes by default. My only guess is that or you heard from the raw video file.

Last feedback is that your videos make you appear to be a different person from how you write, and i am not referring to the colorful exchanges, I am not sure what exactly, but at the very least, you come across as a Clint Eastwood type in videos, whereas when you write, you resemble Charles Bukowski (I like Hank, so this is not an insult).

A regular vlog may actually be good for you on top of your books and not just for generating interest in your hermitage and book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

you come across as a Clint Eastwood type in videos, whereas when you write, you resemble Charles Bukowski

Well now that's good for my ego!  Clint:  "Do you feel lucky, punk?  Make my day!"

I had to look up Charles Bukowski and this was the first thing I saw.  A little synchronicity and it seems to align with my video in some ways.

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Starjumper said:

Well now that's good for my ego!  Clint:  "Do you feel lucky, punk?  Make my day!"

I had to look up Charles Bukowski and this was the first thing I saw.  A little synchronicity and it seems to align with my video in some ways.

I recommend reading Bukowski's Postal and some of his poetry then, including the one adapted here. You'll need to click on the image and then on the image again to go directly to the link and once more a third time to see the full size though. 

zenpencilsbuk.jpg

Postal was his first novel and written in 21 days when his publisher of his poetry offered him a large sum to write a book, confident that Bukowski could turn his talent into fiction writing. At the age of 58 give or take is when he finally found financial success because the ham-fisted fiction he wrote was seen as pure sleaze by some because of the frankness of topics such as being an alcoholic, violent, or misogynistic, but was also seen as subversive in a manner for fiction that Hunter S. Thompson was for journalism, going against the societal mores and exposing a mindset that people liked to pretend did not exist. 

In the post MeToo era, he is still beloved, and is flaunted to the easily-offended to show indifference to someone's sensitivity that has become the kind of false egalitarian narrative that stifles creativity and growth while also diluting quality of work. A kind of parallel to the fake Neigong and Qigong programs that are mass marketed rather than the few dying or rare arts out there with few qualified who understand it and fewer qualified to teach and transmit, with still fewer qualified to learn it too. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 3

your sound level was fine for me.  

Your use of the background bright light gave a great two-face aspect  :P

As far as content... that is yours to share.   thanks.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with your video and the sound is fine. 'Nei Gong', inwardly working is just a general term. There is a term/name that describes a set of staged exercises that people do not know that goes beyond this and these exercises are the ones that take one to power and eventual spiritual Immortality. These are kept secret and are rarely taught, but are not accessible to students until they have gone through years of other spiritual and physical exercises and without this they would be completely useless anyway. My master Li Erh Xian Shi actually refers to them in a subtle way in my DDJ that he taught me.

Nice countryside!

• Like 2

Sound quality is great, and so is the sentiment shared.. I think anyone who doesn't share this opinion of nei kung either doesn't know what they are talking about, or  they're trying to sell me the 11 minute enlightenment 4 disc box set for 3 installments of 29.99..... :P 

Cheers!

• Like 2

I don't practice Nei Kung because that is fake. But I practice Shen and chi. By practice Shen-chi, we can achieve four dhyana.

Four dhyana is corresponding to four process of DanDao.

Chi, 烏 Wu, 兔 rabbit, 封爐 Sealing furnace

The four processes produce 陽生

Edited by awaken
  • Like 2

Video looks good from here, sounds ok, i’d perhaps position the mic way closer to you, perhaps even using a dynamic microphone to get more of the voice warmth and less of the reflections from the flat aurfaces which makes it a bit tinny and buzzy in tone.

If you happen on a compressor-effect which can be set to ”expand” it will amplify the peak volumes and give little more clarity to your words.

I only made jumps and listened to tidbits though because i cant listen to someone just sit around and talk, despite the vista being amazing and you looking pretty good :)

The ”spoken video” just does not work for me as a format, just like i cant bear to listen to podcasts where one ore two people just straight up talk, its like being included while being utterly excluded. Too arduous to follow, too alienating for me not to be there to ask questions and connect, there is no interaction and my brain just rebels after a while. This is my reason for stating:

Sorry Starman, i personally really didn’t like it, but its certified good stuff for those gifted with the talent of absorbing from this format. If ever we meet i’d listen for hours, rest assured.

To be clear: i did catch what sounds like you’re doing some real talk out of your own self and about internal work and cultivation afaik, which is the thing i appreciate besides you reading like a little like Bukowski like @Earl Grey pointed out (nice!)

Edit:

Not to step out of line because you might know more than enough about this sort of stuff but:

Should you want it you can send me just the audio of the clip and i can try to run it some of my sound stuff and i can give you an approximation of what i did so you’ll have an idea where to start with the sound next time you’re rendering your materials?

Hit me up on the PM if thats interesting.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Video looks good from here, sounds ok, i’d perhaps position the mic way closer to you, perhaps even using a dynamic microphone to get more of the voice warmth and less of the reflections from the flat aurfaces which makes it a bit tinny and buzzy in tone.

If you happen on a compressor-effect which can be set to ”expand” it will amplify the peak volumes and give little more clarity to your words.

I only made jumps and listened to tidbits though because i cant listen to someone just sit around and talk, despite the vista being amazing and you looking pretty good :)

The ”spoken video” just does not work for me as a format, just like i cant bear to listen to podcasts where one ore two people just straight up talk, its like being included while being utterly excluded. Too arduous to follow, too alienating for me not to be there to ask questions and connect, there is no interaction and my brain just rebels after a while. This is my reason for stating:

Sorry Starman, i personally really didn’t like it, but its certified good stuff for those gifted with the talent of absorbing from this format. If ever we meet i’d listen for hours, rest assured.

To be clear: i did catch what sounds like you’re doing some real talk out of your own self and about internal work and cultivation afaik, which is the thing i appreciate besides you reading like a little like Bukowski like @Earl Grey pointed out (nice!)

Yeah thanks for elaborating what I was getting at for the audio because while everyone says it sounds fine, whether I listen on my phone or computer, something is a bit off, and couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

Hell, I think he should market himself as the Bukowski of internal martial arts. That would be an honest and unique way of positioning himself.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Earl Grey said:

Yeah thanks for elaborating what I was getting at for the audio because while everyone says it sounds fine, whether I listen on my phone or computer, something is a bit off, and couldn’t quite put my finger on it.

Yup, i listened from my tablet and found it much as you described. Perhaps just some equalization and a reverse compressor on the recording would be enough, but it’s impossible to say exactly what without hearing it directly in my speakers and having my stuff at hand to fiddle with it.

3 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Hell, I think he should market himself as the Bukowski of internal martial arts. That would be an honest and unique way of positioning himself.

Agreed!

• Like 1

Some more Bukowski for ya, Steve, to see how his style actually really is a good parallel. Some of my favorite poems read by him, especially.

I’ll leave you to look up Bluebird and The Genius of the Crowd—those two are brutal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

"there is enough treachery, hatred violence absurdity in the average 
human being to supply any given army on any given day "

"the flesh covers the bone 
and they put a mind 
in there and 
sometimes a soul, 
and the women break 
vases against the walls 
and the men drink too 
much 
and nobody finds the 
one 
but keep 
looking 
crawling in and out 
of beds. 
flesh covers 
the bone and the 
flesh searches 
for more than 
flesh. 

there's no chance 
at all: 
we are all trapped 
by a singular 
fate. 

nobody ever finds 
the one. 

the city dumps fill 
the junkyards fill 
the madhouses fill 
the hospitals fill 
the graveyards fill 

nothing else 
fills."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Some more Bukowski for ya, Steve, to see how his style actually really is a good parallel. Some of my favorite poems read by him, especially.

I’ll leave you to look up Bluebird and The Genius of the Crowd—those two are brutal.

My fav of his...

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, flowing hands said:

'Nei Gong', inwardly working is just a general term. There is a term/name that describes a set of staged exercises that people do not know that goes beyond this and these exercises are the ones that take one to power and eventual spiritual Immortality.

I mentioned this in the video,  inner work is a literal translation, and the money grubbers use that to sell wimpy chi kung.  I was referring to the original, historical, meaning of nei kung which is what you describe.  In any case, what is the term or name that you are referring to that describes the secret staged exercises that lead to the real Way?  My teacher, in cantonese, said it like hei kung or hay kung.

I'm sure you've seen this video before, but this is how I define nei kung.  It's what is said that counts, just overlook the fakers and grunters used to provide the demos.

Edited by Starjumper

15 hours ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Edit:

Not to step out of line because you might know more than enough about this sort of stuff but:

Should you want it you can send me just the audio of the clip and i can try to run it some of my sound stuff and i can give you an approximation of what i did so you’ll have an idea where to start with the sound next time you’re rendering your materials?

Hit me up on the PM if thats interesting.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm too computer illiterate to do that kind of thinkg, and don't have any of the equipment for it.  I just used the mic on the camera.

The important thing is that i don't want it to appear professional so it's good the way it is.  I have seen advice that a person should practice making a video many times, but that there is a first shot.  I may redo it at some point.

Since you don't like talking heads, just turn your screen off and listen to the words, as if it was on radio or something.  I could always make a talk video showing just a still picture.  Other videos coming up are as follows.  "The MCO is Bullshit". Mo Pai is Bullshit", "Reiki is Bullshit",  "Grunters are Bullshit", and "MMA is Bullshit".  Let me know if you can think of any others.

• Like 1

i found this interesting, it turns out the North pole was aimed at Draco (Thuban) around the time my system, a lineage of dragons, was born.   Plus, the dragon is in the center of the circle.

Draco-Circled.jpg

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Other videos coming up are as follows.  "The MCO is Bullshit". Mo Pai is Bullshit", "Reiki is Bullshit",  "Grunters are Bullshit", and "MMA is Bullshit".  Let me know if you can think of any others.

How about "New Age is Bullshit" and "People who try to learn from pirated PDFs and YouTube videos for free are Bullshit"?

• Thanks 1