https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/93430/15-heartwarming-facts-about-mister-rogers

According to this, what has been described as a "shoe fetish" was actually a production consideration. As in, the dress shoes he normally wore were much louder on set than the sneakers he donned.

Not to mention, shoes worn outside were left at the door in practically every house I entered as a child. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, gendao said:

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood was only on NET for <2 years (1968-1970), before it was on PBS.

"PBS began operations on October 5, 1970, taking over many of the functions of its predecessor, National Educational Television (NET)"

So that was just because PBS didn't operate until then. It was called NET then.

4 hours ago, gendao said:

Anyways, point is that NET/Ford Foundation were never corporate/commercial media to begin with...but a philanthropic nonprofit.

Started by Ford Foundation. Research them.

Overseen by CIA. What is their general goal?

If that's "philanthropy", what is warfare? Same? Same players?

I'm not saying there is any "conspiracy". This is just what I saw when I looked into Mr Rogers show.

Mass media was not set up to entertain people or give them presents.

It has been built as an agent of influence, period.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

I'm not saying there is any "conspiracy".

Lol... 

This is just what I saw when I looked into Mr Rogers show.

My, you were a precocious child! 

Mass media was not set up to entertain people or give them presents.

It has been built as an agent of influence, period.

The internet was not not set up to entertain people or give them presents.

It has been built as an agent of influence, period (the period is the best part, because it's a just this teeny-weeny widdle-diddle dot, but it magically allows you to explain how millions and millions of people actually have no personal agency whatsoever and how there is no diversity of motivations and outcomes in a ginormous human effort spanning generations whatsoever, period).

Ergo Vonkrankenhaus is a CIA agent.

Ergo The Dao Bums exists to keep us all busy instead of cleaning our bedrooms. 

Ergo Sean is J Edgar Hoover incarnate, which explains why I keep having recurring dreams of him riding roughshod over my civil rights in fabulous red sequined pumps.

At least, I think that explains my dream...

-VonKrankenhaus

IF that is your name, Herr Agent Special Secret Field Officer Von Krankyhouse :ph34r:

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Walker said:

Ergo Vonkrankenhaus is a CIA agent.

That's not factually true.

However, it IS factually true that CIA oversees "PBS".

Sorry if that upsets people's beliefs in or about "Mister Rogers Neighborhood", but it isn't me doing that - it's whomever would be upset to see ordinary and easy available facts about who or what really put this in front of people 60 yrs ago and why.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

That's not factually true.

If you were a CIA agent you would not admit the factual truity of my observation.

In denying the factorial trualisticality of my inference, you suggest there is not a conspiracy on the DARPA-controlled internet to keep Agent Vonkrankenhaus' secret identity a counterfactual subtersecret.

Ergo: Vonkrankenhaus, IF zat ees his real name, is a High Ranking Deep State CIA operative.

However, it IS factually true that CIA oversees "PBS".

The CIA controls everything.

The CIA keeps secrets.

The CIA filled the internet with claims that it runs PBS, unsecrefying the secret.

Therefore the CIA cannot run pbs.

Conclusion: The CIA probably DOES run PBS.

Question: Is it down with OPP?

(Yeah you know me)

Sorry if that upsets people's beliefs in or about "Mister Rogers Neighborhood", but it isn't me doing that - it's whomever would be upset to see ordinary and easy available facts about who or what really put this in front of people 60 yrs ago and why.

I am indeed upset that the Men in Black wanted me to be kind and neighborly. How dare they? Or should I say, how dare YOU, Von-If-That-Is-Your-Real-Haus?!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sigh, a thread is supposed to be about the spirituality of Mr. Rogers and how wonderful a man he is, and two idiots post conspiracy theories, shitting on the intent of the OP and the focus of the original conversation. 

This is less a conversation in someone's living room among like-minded peers with similar interests and instead a few decent individuals who somehow got convinced that letting Negative Nancies and Insufferable Interrupt Everything Ingrids, Everything's Miserable Eeyores and Know-it-All Normans was a good idea.

This is just like inviting your racist uncle and your Liberal Arts Social Justice Warrior cousin in college to the same dinner table while having the TV controller right in front of them next to the kitchen knife...two idiots who can't seem to focus on the fact the dinner is in front of them and people are talking about something nice, and yet they want to dump their conspiracies on us and blame the other or tell us that we're in the other's camp.

Can't we just be like Mr. Rogers and be good neighbors, for fuck's sake?!

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ilumairen said:

According to this, what has been described as a "shoe fetish" was actually a production consideration. As in, the dress shoes he normally wore were much louder on set than the sneakers he donned.

I read this too quickly today, and I was all like, "[expletive expletive expletive], is one of these clowns actually pushing a conspiracy theory that [expletive] shoe fetishes were invented by the CIA and then pushed on the world via Mr. Rogers [expletive] admittedly sexy feet???" 

Hours later it popped into my head that that was an ilumairen post, and I thought, naahhhh, she's not that QAnon, right? Then I thought it must have been a hilarious joke I hadn't noticed. Then I came back and realized that I had just sorta Freudian slipped my way into that misunderstanding there... meaning...

THE CIA WON AFTER ALL! THAT EXPLAINS THOSE DREAMS ABOUT SEAN'S SEQUINNED SHOES! YOU'LL RUE THE DAY I CATCH UP WITH YOU, VONKRANKENHAUS!

Also, that was a nice link, ilumairen. Can't believe he answered very letter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The connection made with Mr. Clemens displayed @ 5:00 in this video interview is further demonstration of Fred's presence and heart resonant ability to create a space safe for connection and opening the heart with others.

"love is at the root of everything.

all learning.

all parenting.

all relationships.

love, or the lack of it." 

~Fred Rogers

• Thanks 2

On 11/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, manitou said:

LOL, Jim.  I was just being a wise-acre.  In your earlier post you called them focal chords.  And I certainly understand the callous on the finger thing.  I used to strum and sing in a lounge.  But I won't touch the things now, for the reason you mentioned.  No callouses.

I agree, it's too much work for a 72 year old with a girlish body.  But I can still jam on a keyboard.

I told a friend who asked me about my exercise regimen that I was "cut". To be more honest, I have some fat on my belly with a six pack behind it...arms, legs, and head have some definition. I have arthritis in both thumbs, hip, and right shoulder. Deformed knuckles from Karate conditioning. I have scoliosis in my spinal column with right orientation. I have good posture and minimal to moderate pain where the arthritis is located. As long as I keep stretching and working out, my range of motion is good. I have edited "focal."

Edited by Jim D.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, manitou said:

LOL, Jim.  I was just being a wise-acre.  In your earlier post you called them focal chords.  And I certainly understand the callous on the finger thing.  I used to strum and sing in a lounge.  But I won't touch the things now, for the reason you mentioned.  No callouses.

I agree, it's too much work for a 72 year old with a girlish body.  But I can still jam on a keyboard.

I couldn't tolerate performing in a lounge or bar unless I was well known and the audience respected me enough to be quiet and enjoy. I tried my hand at keyboard (inspired by the Band, Chicago). My second wife made fun of my piece as nothing more than playing scales. :huh:

My first wife did not mind the 12 string I played. I really liked the musical arrangements of Boston and tried to emulate the fullness of their sound. It took Tom Schultz five years to put his first album together. He played all the instruments. "I love Amanda, and a Man I'll never be." "Hitchin a Ride" has some wonderful riffs. 

In case your trying to figure it, out everybody, I have been married two times and lived with a women I knew from the 60's. I love women and being married, but you have to have the right one. The two that dropped me off at the court house didn't improve their lives by this decision. The woman I lived with was afraid to get married, so I moved on. I am not going to blame them. I had my part in it all. 

Now I am too old to mess up. Got a good one who likes and loves me. And we work hard to keep it together and forever. Still learning. 

• Like 1

Addendum: If you're wondering how I can be so candid about my life, well it is easy. When I was drinking and drugging I didn't mind you seeing me out there. I didn't even notice. 

There is no walk of shame here especially at my age. And there isn't anyone out there that hasn't done, said, did, failed to do anything that hasn't been already said and done by me. 

• Like 2

O.K. back to Mr. Rogers. Remember that Tom Hanks does not work for free. The movie is suppose to give all of us warm, fuzzy feelings. There are lines to learn, behaviors to do, clothes to wear, takes and retakes and so on. We will never know what was really in the heart of Mr. Rogers...remember he got paid too, and probably the parents of the little kiddies as well. 

So, was Mr. Rogers a good guy or just a fabricated image like the band called the "Monkeys." Probably the latter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

So, was Mr. Rogers a good guy or just a fabricated image like the band called the "Monkeys." Probably the latter. 

Did you read the articles I linked to in the first post of this thread? What did you think of them?

• Like 1

Whenever I took on a new client, I was not interested in someone else's impression. I wanted to create my own impression through direct observation. So, no I haven't read the links you provided.  I did watch the videos provided about Mr. Rogers, and recalled those times I did watch him. I suppose growing up in a tough neighborhood influenced my personal criticism of the show, the "niceness", and warm fuzzy phrases mouthed by Mr. Rogers. The content and context seemed to be for children. My childhood was short lived, painful, and traumatic both at home and school. So no, I did not get very much out of Mr. Rogers. He was more like the man my mother told me to stay away from. You know, "stranger danger." Pedophiles, bums, greasers, gang fights, wandering tough guys, mentally challenged, rape, Schizophrenics were common. We lived in our area, and you stayed in yours. 

I don't think there was a hidden agenda, or conspiracy surrounding Mr. Rogers Productions. My posting has to do with warning people not to get sentimental about a movie or a man. I urge people to do their own thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, thank you for your warning and for sharing openly about your own life experience. Your point is well taken. It is always best for people to do their own thinking. The whole point of linking to the articles was to give people food for thought, which they could use to further inform their own thinking. 

May I suggest you start a new post to talk about your personal experience and your ideas about how to react to situations so that we can keep this thread somewhat more on topic? Although it is interesting to hear about how his TV show did not mean much to you, this thread really won't make any sense to you unless you read those two articles. They are not even really about the TV show, and in fact are very much about a man who had a very painful childhood (not Fred Rogers, but the author of those two pieces). Maybe you would find that you can relate to the author's point of view in some way if you read them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Whenever I took on a new client, I was not interested in someone else's impression. I wanted to create my own impression through direct observation. So, no I haven't read the links you provided.  I did watch the videos provided about Mr. Rogers, and recalled those times I did watch him. I suppose growing up in a tough neighborhood influenced my personal criticism of the show, the "niceness", and warm fuzzy phrases mouthed by Mr. Rogers. The content and context seemed to be for children. My childhood was short lived, painful, and traumatic both at home and school. So no, I did not get very much out of Mr. Rogers. He was more like the man my mother told me to stay away from. You know, "stranger danger." Pedophiles, bums, greasers, gang fights, wandering tough guys, mentally challenged, rape, Schizophrenics were common. We lived in our area, and you stayed in yours. 

I don't think there was a hidden agenda, or conspiracy surrounding Mr. Rogers Productions. My posting has to do with warning people not to get sentimental about a movie or a man. I urge people to do their own thinking. 

Mr. Rogers is our personal Lord and Saviour! How dare you go off topic in the presence of Mr. Rogers spirituality. Non shalt receive the forgiveness unless they submit their life fully to Mr. Rogers and Mr. Rogers alone! 

You will burn in the new york pizza oven for all eternity! (It's kind of a sturdy oven). 

Repent! 

Mr. Rogers shalt be thy personal lord and saviour. 

Oh my dear Mr. Rogers! Please forgive them for they do not know! Can't you see my brethern are lost and have forgotten their ways? They do not know the terrible fate of the eternal new york pizza oven! Our personal Lord and Saviour, redeem us from the eternal never ending torment and disgrace of the italian pineapple pizza! 

Forgive us our Lord. Forgive us. Forgive us. 

Edited by Everything

1 hour ago, Walker said:

Ok, thank you for your warning and for sharing openly about your own life experience. Your point is well taken. It is always best for people to do their own thinking. The whole point of linking to the articles was to give people food for thought, which they could use to further inform their own thinking. 

May I suggest you start a new post to talk about your personal experience and your ideas about how to react to situations so that we can keep this thread somewhat more on topic? Although it is interesting to hear about how his TV show did not mean much to you, this thread really won't make any sense to you unless you read those two articles. They are not even really about the TV show, and in fact are very much about a man who had a very painful childhood (not Fred Rogers, but the author of those two pieces). Maybe you would find that you can relate to the author's point of view in some way if you read them. 

I came here for the spiritual discourse of Mr. Rogers... 

Where is Mr. Rogers at? 

tenor.gif.cbec443de4aad7be702bc8c033ae5417.gif

Edited by Everything
  • Thanks 1

I find it interesting to learn Fred was an ordained minister.  I never once have heard him reference a God of any kind in his show.  From the little I've read and heard, he studied early childhood development and music theory in college.   Forseeing the inevitable impact television would have on the minds of the very young, he was very motivated to create something on television for the minds of the very young.  A place of acceptance, imagination and particularly a place to think and talk about feelings.

I no longer think children have it easier than adults.   They experience all the emotions adults do, with little to no context, often no explanation and with less control over their daily lives. 

This drove him to conceive of a show and enlist the aid of a small crew.  Fred conceived the characters, wrote the scripts, the music and the lyrics and performed the voices of the puppets.   He created a television Neighborhood, that all children watching could belong to and could feel safe in and have fun exploring in... to me, it was and is an endearing, dedicated study and gift of attention, care and loving kindness in a sea of sensationalism, sexual enticement and violent threat.

for @Everything 

Spoiler

"love is at the root of everything.

all learning.

all parenting.

all relationships.

love, or the lack of it." 

~Fred Rogers

• Thanks 2

Three diversions from topic and Walker and the rest of us can’t seem to pull in a crowd who read the articles and stay on topic.

Remember the song “My Sharona”?

Replace “Sharona” with “agenda” and sing, “Ma—ma-ma-ma-my agenda!”

Oh, Mr. Rogers. The neighborhood isn’t the same these days.

On topic: the above video is a great example of how he touched lives and how the parody above plays with the idea.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I find it interesting to learn Fred was an ordained minister.  I never once have heard him reference a God of any kind in his show.  From the little I've read and heard, he studied early childhood development and music theory in college.   Forseeing the inevitable impact television would have on the minds of the very young, he was very motivated to create something on television for the minds of the very young.  A place of acceptance, imagination and particularly a place to think and talk about feelings.

I was also surprised to learn that he was ordained, and have no recollection of religious overtones in that show. I have the deepest respect for people who are so fortunate as to draw from the well of spirituality throughout the course of their entire lives, and to be committed to the utmost degree to sharing the waters they are so lucky as to have found, and yet have no requirements whatsoever regarding the shape of the vessels others bring to have water poured into. And yet, at the same time, when it was appropriate for him to do so (i.e., when talking with or writing to fans who shared his Christian faith) he most certainly taught from the standpoint of the Bible. This kind of flexibility, which includes the ability to be totally "formless" at times, is really worth meditating upon. It is indeed one of the places where the difference between having an agenda and truly having a vocation lies. 

In fact, part of the reason I was hoping that people would read those articles I linked to is that the older article concludes with the author's firsthand narration of evidence of Fred Rogers' ample spiritual power. I don't think there was any imagination, hyperbole, or exaggeration at work in that vignette. Rogers was able to trigger what we might call a "heart opening" or "heart chakra opening" in the writer using small-group prayer. I don't think the heart opening was an accident; I think Mr. Rogers knew quite well what he was doing. The second article, written two decades later by the same author, shows how life-changing it can be to meet a person with the kind of compassion and spiritual power Fred Rogers cultivated. It shows that what transpired between two men was no mere flash-in-the-pan episode of "spiritual fireworks." 

Of course everybody is free to talk about more or less whatever comes to mind when they hear "Mr. Rogers." But who knows what gifts they might be so lucky as to receive if they were to read the links in the OP and reflect upon them. It might be a pity to miss out on such gifts.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, silent thunder said:

The connection made with Mr. Clemens displayed @ 5:00 in this video interview is further demonstration of Fred's presence and heart resonant ability to create a space safe for connection and opening the heart with others.

Yeah, that was beautiful and powerful. 

I just watched some Mr. Rogers, and Tom Hanks doing Mr. Rogers. Now this is just a clinical observation and nothing more or less. Mr. Rogers sounds a lot like "the Church Lady" on SNL. And Tom Hanks is not dead on as far as his impersonation of Mr. Rogers. Not believable to me. 

Does anyone know what happened to the 20M Mr. Rogers was awarded/granted.  

@Jim D.

The 20 Million was not granted to Fred Rogers.

It was the funding required to keep PBS going nationwide.

Fred appeared before Senators defending the entire PBS system not his own personal show, in six minutes he secured funding for the entire National Program which was targeted by Nixon for budget cuts and dismantling.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1