15 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Back to Fred Rogers. I watched him chair as group leader on a segment regarding the topic of discipline and parenting. As I looked at the group participants I noticed that some people were missing. I did not see ghetto blacks, Hispanics, trailer park parents, or single moms in this group. The group I did observe seemed fairly affluent, well spoken, and cooperative with their significant other. This post is made to support my assertion that although Mr. Rogers TV personality seems to be a kind and generous person, PBS missed their mission to get the message to all people, not to a few select middle class few.

And humans will give no love. Take a look at the two minute YouTube segment entitled Discipline and share your observations about what appears to be a staged event. Somehow your took my observations personally, Mr. Walker. Not intended to offend anyone. For me, when I push the issue of "attachments" I am trying to win an argument, or I am trying to control a feeling of being out of control, or wrong. Feeling wrong means I have to step back and examine my motives. For me there is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree, or letting go. I don't need to get anyone to agree with me because I believe in myself and worth. 

If you think, Mr. Walker, that there are indigent, disenfranchised group participants in Fred Roger's group than there is...for you.But how is it that PBS, or Mr. Rogers did not make that clear. PBS had to do some sort of background check. 

Yes, the thread started out talking about a movie and its spiritual message. I shared how it is that it didn't work for me. I took a closer look at the content and context of the show and asked if what I observed was a real time representation of current events, and was it reliable and verifiable. Then I asked if Mr. Rogers mission was to reach all people and there seemed to be a weakness here. Then I asked a question about who was behind this production and became aware that it was PBS...a non-for-profit organization. In my experiences in working for non-profit organizations, at the end of the year, any monies left over are given over to management, and sometimes staff, and purchases of equipment. 

So, yes, the intent was to talk about the spirituality of Mr. Rogers. And as I understand spirituality, it means when I do thus and so, something changes within in me. I did not see evidence in other comments, only sentiment. This left the door wide open.  

My background in Etiology and Epidemiology lends me to critique that which is purported as something to believe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Yes, the thread started out talking about a movie and its spiritual message. I shared how it is that it didn't work for me.

Pssst.. wrong thread. Manitou started the movie thread; Walker started this one. And while they are similar, the intended focus is different. 

BTW I'm beginning to find your consistent mentioning of your credentials odd, slightly confusing, and a bit off putting. What is your intended purpose with this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If it were me, I would with rigorous honesty look inside...at me if I felt "a bit off putting." Maybe I should have defined "your credentials." These are unusual descriptors and not used by most people. In my field of expertise, it is not uncommon, especially in Experimental Psychology. Again, what does your observation of me have anything to do with Mr. Rogers and Spirituality. Does your critique of me help you...feel better about you. Did I ask you to take my inventory and share it with me or the community. 

You know I love you just the way you are. Enjoy the challenge of my critique of Mr. Rogers and share your own observations of what his spirituality has done for you. You know when you're pointing at me, there are four coming back at you. :)

Let's get back on track, O.K. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Walker said:

But he apparently was a man who did the best he could to use the means at his disposal to help lots of people.

Geez, I never denied that...and do give him plenty of kudos!

I was simply highlighting one blindspot of his...as a product of the mental box he was raised in...and that he never saw much past its high, palacial walls of... 

budhha-s-4-sights.png

I'd give him more of a pass for this given that this was decades ago pre-internet and this was a KID'S SHOW...but then again, it was also during the height of the hippy counterculture, so a lot of that knowledge was already getting made readily-available in pop culture by that point. 

matrix_red_blue_pill.jpg

In regular adult interviews, he would have to intentionally turn a blind eye and ignore all such hard-hitting hot buttons to offer such conflict-avoidant deflections...and keep pushing the blue pill.  Stay asleeeppp sheeepp....bahhhh....

AIM5.giftumblr_n3jirvpUj31svrhopo1_400.jpg

p04p6k2n.jpg

ostrich-hiding-head-in-sand-vector-89571

Edited by gendao
  • Like 1

Although I did start the movie thread about Mr. Rogers - this one seems to have more steam.  My point for starting the thread was that I believed that Mr. Rogers utilized 'a form of wu-wei' in dealing with the reporter who was doing the piece on him.  His kind, gentle silence sat as an anchor, around which the reporter spun.  Until he finally healed himself because Mr. Rogers, in his steady silence, allowed the universe to heal him while this man was in his sphere.

A Bum would truly have to watch the movie to see if there's agreement on this.  I thought it was fabulous, and it accords with my understanding of the subtleness of wu-wei.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ms. Manitou, how has what you identified in the movie changed you? What would be an example of wu-wei for you personally?

Jim, you seem to push your agenda and completely disregard what’s on topic or decorum.

First you derail this with your “authority” here. Later, you create a Trump thread even though the rules say not to, you bitch on the Trump thread about bullying and cry about emotions overtaking intellect even though your entire argument WAS based on emotions and all lack of logic was pointed out to you. And then let’s not forget you can’t even read the bloody rules on the haiku chain thread—it is no surprise to anyone that you’re getting along with the other agenda-pushing and thread-invading/derailing suspects in the forum.

Whether your medication needs a different dosage or your wife isn’t giving you enough attention, you’ve demonstrated that you have the attention span of Daffy Duck and the eloquence of Elmer Fudd, because you’re ultimately a complete loony who is repeating the same tune again and again everywhere.

This topic at first appears to have been murdered by you and Gendumb and Von Krackhead, and upon further inspection, it is actually more analogous to parasitic worms looking for something fresh and tasty to satiate their needs, much like chestbursters from the classic movie Alien or the tongue parasites in fish. So you need something good and sweet like this thread and Mr. Rogers because you can’t seem to find a way to get it in your own deprived and depraved hollow existence.

tongue-eating-parasite.jpeg

And thus we are left with the rotting corpse that once upon a time had the potential to be something sweet and inspiring, and you three have all devoured it and shat upon it. In return, it has been handed to you to do whatever you want. Whether you’re a necrophage or necrophiliac, this thread was thrown to you in frustration as it no longer has any of the life it was meant to have before you bled it dry. 

Good night, Jim. May the bedbugs be safe from your own biting and sucking, because word on the street is that Jim D. sucks, and based on this thread, you really do suck.

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

To discuss something Mr. Grey, you have to be able to relate to it. You know what they say, if you're getting kicked in the pants than you're still in front. My thoughts must be very interesting to you and Mr. Walker because you both have invested a lot of time talking about me. If I irritate you that much, don't read my comments. Just pass it up and read something else. I know, read your stuff again because you must have had fun creating darkness. What would Mr. Rogers have said to you when you were seven years old and you brought up your resentments and insecurities about me to him? Would he have held you and nurtured you. You have felt safe with him.  If I were you, I'd get to some kind of 12 Step meeting, or start attending one like ACOA or Al-anon, or Emotions Anonymous. Then get with your sponsor and do a 4th Step. And go on to the 8th Step, but pass it by your sponsor first to make sure your motives are pure, and then make your amends directly and honestly. And an ancillary suggestion would be to watch Mr. Rogers from the inception of his Program to the end when he died from stomach cancer at the age of 74. And then go and see the movie. If you do this, you will have filled up your spiritual battery sufficiently enough to see the lovely cathedral inside of you...you will be able to get past the garbage that you have been holding on to which litters the front entrance of your cathedral. It is hard work, but worth the effort. I know I have done and am still sweeping out my cathedral.

Look up Erickson's Developmental Stages and choose which one you relate too. Tell me, and I will help you through to the next Stage in a private message just between you and me. Keep it private Mr. Grey because you do not want to embarrass your self more than you have already in front of the community. 

I am guessing that the child within has been used and abused some. I hope that taking it out on me has been a relief valve for you Mr. Grey. Don't worry about my feelings. The years I have spent helping and teacher others in the penal system helped me to let it just roll off my back. 

My brother in Christ

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As we've now bounded completely off the rails, I'm going to address what would have been generally ignored prior to Walker's renaming of this thread. 

20 hours ago, Jim D. said:

If it were me, I would with rigorous honesty look inside...at me if I felt "a bit off putting."

We'll start with this. Nobody who actually knows me, or understood my post in the manner it was written would have then written these words in response to me. The statement in the post itself highlighted what was arising within, and the question in the post very clearly and directly invited and left room for you to share your actual intent - with the understanding what was arising within for me may not be in alignment with your intent. 

Maybe I should have defined "your credentials."

This starts getting muddy, and I can only guess you started writing stream of consciousness stuff here.. Was this meant to suggest I should share my own cred to compare with yours? Or maybe you should have better defined your own? 

These are unusual descriptors and not used by most people.

In my field of expertise, it is not uncommon, especially in Experimental Psychology.

:lol: See? There you go again, throwing your cred out there like the Tom Cruise character in Eyes Wide Shut repeatedly saying, "I'm a doctor" - which was just as odd, confusing and off putting to me when I viewed the film. 

It's like a man drowning in a world he doesn't understand repeating his own mantra of self worth.

Again, what does your observation of me have anything to do with Mr. Rogers and Spirituality.

Alot to do with my own path, and nothing to do with Mister Rogers.

Does your critique of me help you...feel better about you.

Nope, and it wasn't intended to, although I can understand why my honest sharing could have left you feeling defensive, and thereby unable to understand the following question. 

Did I ask you to take my inventory and share it with me or the community. 

I took my inventory, and even started with "I'm beginning to find.." and expressed curiosity about your actual intent (the question I asked).

You know I love you just the way you are.

:huh: 

Enjoy the challenge of my critique of Mr. Rogers and share your own observations of what his spirituality has done for you.

How odd to assume you've presented a challenge, and even odder to believe you somehow have power to tell me what to share, when you've spent how much time in this thread playing "the get to know all about me" game. 

You know when you're pointing at me, there are four coming back at you. :)

:lol: Does this go with the grown up version of "I'm made of rubber and you're made of glue" game you tried playing with me at the beginning of this post?

Let's get back on track, O.K. 

Too late. We're wandering the wastelands of a completely derailed thread now. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

What would Mr. Rogers have said to you when you were seven years old and you brought up your resentments and insecurities about me to him? Would he have held you and nurtured you. You have felt safe with him.  If I were you [...]

Fabulous! Now we've progressed to infantalization. How wonderfully melodramatic and Victorian.

Keep grasping for those strings of authority and power Jim D, and you may just convince yourself you have some here - even if it is only an illusion. 

Edited by ilumairen
remove extraneous quote for brevity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

To discuss something Mr. Grey, you have to be able to relate to it.

And you fail spectacularly, Mr. D.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

You know what they say, if you're getting kicked in the pants than you're still in front.

I don't know what this means, and your dubious ability to communicate in the English language makes it even harder to understand what you're writing. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

My thoughts must be very interesting to you and Mr. Walker because you both have invested a lot of time talking about me.

Your thoughts aren't so much as interesting as they are loud and obnoxious like a guy who barges into a conversation and talks over everyone, making it hard to do anything but notice what you've said.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

If I irritate you that much, don't read my comments. Just pass it up and read something else.

I could have said the same to you on your Trump thread when you got "reminded of bullying" when discussing politics but then didn't want to discuss politics. The problem with you is that you're disrupting the conversation and not sticking to the flow, or ignoring the rules as pointed out in the haiku thread--something you failed to acknowledge, old chap.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I know, read your stuff again because you must have had fun creating darkness.

Kettle to teapot, much? I am quite comfortable with my light and darkness. It's called balance, you senile old coot. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

What would Mr. Rogers have said to you when you were seven years old and you brought up your resentments and insecurities about me to him?

Probably not the same thing you're thinking he would say that I'm thinking based on your agenda and your assessment of him. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

If I were you, I'd get to some kind of 12 Step meeting, or start attending one like ACOA or Al-anon, or Emotions Anonymous. Then get with your sponsor and do a 4th Step. And go on to the 8th Step, but pass it by your sponsor first to make sure your motives are pure, and then make your amends directly and honestly.

Here's a recommendation for you: go read Geert Hofstede's Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind and see how forcing a model onto someone without cultural nuances or human-centered design doesn't work because it focuses on preserving the model than actually working with the person--which is what you are doing now too as you try to fit reality into your paradigm. It is the same as trying to shove a cinder block up your ass--it won't fit, but you sure love to keep trying and showing people how you love making things that don't fit look like they should be there so that they hopefully do something as ridiculous as you.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

And an ancillary suggestion would be to watch Mr. Rogers from the inception of his Program to the end when he died from stomach cancer at the age of 74. And then go and see the movie. If you do this, you will have filled up your spiritual battery sufficiently enough to see the lovely cathedral inside of you...you will be able to get past the garbage that you have been holding on to which litters the front entrance of your cathedral. It is hard work, but worth the effort. I know I have done and am still sweeping out my cathedral.

My body is not a cathedral, it's a temple, and one dedicated to pagan fertility gods and goddesses who declare chastity to be a sin. My patron saint is Glycon, the roman snake god who resembles a penis as a hand puppet. My god is bigger than your god! 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Look up Erickson's Developmental Stages and choose which one you relate too. Tell me, and I will help you through to the next Stage in a private message just between you and me. Keep it private Mr. Grey because you do not want to embarrass your self more than you have already in front of the community. 

You think I care about what the community thinks of me--first mistake. You think that they're even thinking about me--second mistake. You think you know what we care about or how I look--third mistake. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I am guessing that the child within has been used and abused some.

My inner child is Damien from The Omen, yours appears to be Alfalfa from Little Rascals

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

I hope that taking it out on me has been a relief valve for you Mr. Grey.

Actually, I hope you would just shut up and stop pushing your agenda and self-proclaimed authority everywhere and stay on topic, then quit playing a victim when someone points out your logical fallacies, your lack of credentials, and your consistent contradictions. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Don't worry about my feelings.

I don't worry about you--I don't even think about you. 

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

The years I have spent helping and teacher others in the penal system helped me to let it just roll off my back. 

How does someone with such a pathetic ability to communicate even basic writing skills taught in grammar school end up in prison teaching? 

Oh right: those who can, do; those who can't, teach. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

My body is not a cathedral, it's a temple, and one dedicated to pagan fertility gods and goddesses who declare chastity to be a sin. My patron saint is Glycon, the roman snake god who resembles a penis as a hand puppet. My god is bigger than your god! 

Oh my stars!!!! 

:lol:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Jim D. said:

You know when you're pointing at me, there are four coming back at you. :)

Just tried it, and this is experentially wrong, and all the more humorous for it's flat out wrongness. 

Don't believe me? Try it, and find the truth of the matter for yourself.  :lol:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Oh my stars!!!! 

:lol:

Yeah, I noticed the section of Earl Grey´s post that you quoted too.  I wanted to quote it as well with some sort of witty commentary but your post, ilumairen, sums up my sentiments exactly.  Consider your "oh my stars!" seconded.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Yeah, I noticed the section of Earl Grey´s post that you quoted too.  I wanted to quote it as well with some sort of witty commentary but your post, ilumairen, sums up my sentiments exactly.  Consider your "oh my stars!" seconded.

Oh.. the opening for jokes is HUGE! :lol:

But given what you said in another thread about being "looked into" and my own experience with the same I still find myself starting to write quips and jokes and then deleting them on occasion. Damn the patriarchal mindset and it's demonizing, projecting and cowardly portrayals... and damn me for just wanting some peace and self regulating as a means of avoidance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Oh.. the opening for jokes is HUGE! :lol:

But given what you said in another thread about being "looked into" and my own experience with the same I still find myself starting to write quips and jokes and then deleting them on occasion. Damn the patriarchal mindset and it's demonizing, projecting and cowardly portrayals... and damn me for just wanting some peace and self regulating as a means of avoidance. 

I do the same thing sometimes -- write out something I think is funny and then scrap it for being in bad taste or potentially offensive or just too much in one way or another.  (If that´s what you mean?)  On the other hand, what´s a little ribbing among friends?  I´ve got the feeling Earl Grey can take whatever we might throw at him and throw it back in style.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I don't worry about you--I don't even think about you. 

Oh yes you do Mr. Grey. I am retired and have all day waiting for you to entertain me. Were you the one that tempted Christ and thought you would get away with it? 

I love Alfalfa in the young rascals. Now you are dating yourself. :) 

Watch the Passion of the Christ. Relate to the hooded person with the hideous child...and then go on to Judas. The only reason Judas did not make it because he did not make his amends to Jesus. Then look at Peter who did take responsibility for his actions and repented. He was around for quite a while until he was crucified upside down. Did you know that Luke was skinned alive because he was then them. 

If you are the same person that started up the new thread "to accommodate me," you mention your inability to control your anger. I think that you also mentioned your upbringing as being dysfunctional e.g. physical and emotional abuse. Now Mr. Grey we are starting to get somewhere!!!

Your use of "chap" which tells me that you are probably a resident of England. 

No one forces you to read my stuff. I have to think that there is a part of you that is attracted to me, as a person. You just can't let it go. I don't want to let it go because the more I give it away the more I keep. I don't mind service work. It's a good thing. 

35 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Probably not the same thing you're thinking he would say that I'm thinking based on your agenda and your assessment of

How is it you are reluctant to look at yourself through Mr. Rogers eyes? What are you avoiding?

The phrase "if your getting kick in the pants, then you're still in front" is funny but it says a lot. 

To be in my class, which was in a Maximum Security Prison for women, you would have had to pass a GED. I sure from what I have seen in your writing that would not have been a problem. Your ability to pass the courses I taught would be another e.g. Sociology, Criminology, Philosophy, Introduction to Psychology, Marriage and Family, Ecology, Abnormal Psychology etc. Which one would have been the one you would have chosen to improve your life skills and future? What are you really interested in Mr. Grey?

And finally, although I don't think this is an "Adios" for both of us, your reference to my "authority" probably came from Mr. Walker, an associate of yours who was "off putted" by my subtle reference to my credentialing. So, to not keep him guessing and feeling bothered I shared my courage, strength and hope with him.  I sent him a brief resume' of my accomplishments. Sorry Mr. Walker, I left off that I am a writer, artist, and poet to boot. 

Last thought, no one will listen to you if you don't have anything to back it up. Mr. Rogers knew that as well as PBS. I am still looking for that line item and the appropriation of funds form the 20M Senate Grant. :) 

I am going to archery now. Chao!!!

Your brother in Christ. 

Jim D. MHS, LCPC

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Just tried it, and this is experentially wrong, and all the more humorous for it's flat out wrongness. 

Don't believe me? Try it, and find the truth of the matter for yourself.  :lol:

No Mr. Illumarien, it works! Hold your hand up and point to someone. Now what do you see? Three fingers and a thumb pointing back at you. 

Are thumbs considered fingers?

The thumb can be treated as a finger but mostly within the context of fingers. Both digits and fingers are hypernyms of the word thumb. Here are my dictionary* definitions: the short, thick first digit of the human hand, set lower and apart from the other four and opposable to them.

11 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

No Mr. Illumarien, it works! Hold your hand up and point to someone. Now what do you see? Three fingers and a thumb pointing back at you. 

Are thumbs considered fingers?

The thumb can be treated as a finger but mostly within the context of fingers. Both digits and fingers are hypernyms of the word thumb. Here are my dictionary* definitions: the short, thick first digit of the human hand, set lower and apart from the other four and opposable to them.

My thumb doesn't point back, even if I make a deliberate attempt to bring it into alignment with the three fingers which do. I just asked my SO to try it, and his results were the same as mine. 

Thanks for playing along though. 

BTW I would be a Mrs, not a Mr, if we're adding gender indicative titles, but just Ilu, or ilumairen would be preferable to me. 

The only reason I came back after a 4 year break is that I got bored and needed to fill up my time intellectually. So far, it has been humorously funny and entertaining to observe people behave in the manner they did when I first came on board. This is what I have observed. There are those that have good self esteem and do not let themselves get down into the grease trap. There are others that love to attack someone they don't understand. This happened to Jesus, Ghandi, Malcom X, Martin Luther King.  Then there are those that are hiding behind some secrete morbidity that they are ashamed of. Then there are those that come out of hiding when they feel safe to attack in numbers. 

I have my opinions, and you have yours. And that is it. Your are not going to win by attacking me. But if you find the similarities and go from there we might learn something together. So I say, let's keep the Intellect over Emotions and will have some semblance of Sanity. 

Remember, we cannot see each other, hear each other, sense each other, so interpretations are left up to the reader. And if you read fragmentation which are my posts, this is not a true representation of my entire self. There are so many affective interpretations that influence the reader because of their own stuff. Especially, if they cannot see the presenter. 

Your brother in Christ :) 

9 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

My thumb doesn't point back, even if I make a deliberate attempt to bring it into alignment with the three fingers which do. I just asked my SO to try it, and his results were the same as mine. 

Thanks for playing along though. 

BTW I would be a Mrs, not a Mr, if we're adding gender indicative titles, but just Ilu, or ilumairen would be preferable to me.