Ecclectica

Energy rich guy seeking advice on choosing a method

12 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

I would not say more popular means more competent teachers, as many of them don’t actually have skill, but know park Tai Chi for elders. It is a specialized practice that with the best teachers is a martial, medical, and meditative practice that can kill, heal greatly and even help significantly with issues like Parkinson’s, and bring you to a unique meditative state of awareness.

More popular doesn’t mean more quality, lest we say that applies to McDonald’s and the perfection of the cheeseburger... Look up Jake Mace to see what popular art and terrible quality teaching means.

You can’t go wrong with dwai and his recommendations though, so likely he saved you time finding a good Tai Chi teacher in your area.

Fair enough 

Lazy, Sloppy stuff by me.

I mean something more along the lines of there are probably more decent TaiChi teachers than Qiging teachers with one hour of me.

And because Thai Chi is more popular they may teach in classes rather than private and therefore it may be more affordable etc

9 minutes ago, Ecclectica said:

Fair enough 

Lazy, Sloppy stuff by me.

I mean something more along the lines of there are probably more decent TaiChi teachers than Qiging teachers with one hour of me.

And because Thai Chi is more popular they may teach in classes rather than private and therefore it may be more affordable etc

No need to self-deprecate, mate. Dwai’s friend and Dolic both can at least recommend people who might be suited for you in terms of distance. Enjoy!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ecclectica said:

WHY?

If you read everything I have posted it should be clear what my motivation is.

I am past half-way in this life. I went to University. Worked as a professional. Spent 7 years overseas in 30 countries. Learnt a foreign language. I have done stuff.

But ultimately as I have already said I failed in all aspects of life, always been an outsider and never bonded with anybody ever. I am disliked due to my personality.

So I had a major depression some time ago and eventually realised you either have to suicide or try and get out of the depression - it's just too hard existing in that state. (It took a couple of years to crawl out).

WHICH WAY?

I am committed to the Buddhist way? 

RANDOM SITTINGS?

I don't do random sittings. I have meditated almost every day for four years.

STOP WHAT IM DOING?

A few people have said stop due to risks etc. I appreciate the advice and concern but I can't stop, I'm in too deep and have no other options.

In any case according Buddhist Maps of the path etc (Not that I am a fan of Map oriented approaches such as espoused by Daniel Ingram) I have gone past the point of no return and into what people on the internet like to call 'the dark night of the soul' - although that's a bit too dramatic.

FIND A COMPETENT TEACHER? 

As you admit its a good idea but easier said than done. Anyway, I have been guided intermittently by a very good teacher on retreats so I feel confident that I am on the right track - albeit not an easy one.

Few teachers are going to devote themselves to you anyway. They either have better things to do,  don't think your worth it,  just don't like you that much, want to charge $100 hr or more, want exploit you sexually or otherwise  or come from a very different cultural perspective and won't quite get you etc etc etc

A teacher can't climb inside your head and see what's actually happening. Ultimately we have to be our own teachers.

My response probably seems a bit harsh - sorry about that. But I just want to clarify to everybody where I am coming from. I note that your advice is similar to many in others in being cautionary and I've got to say quite pessimistic 

So to be clear:

1. I'm on this ride and ain't getting off. I am happy to take risks -my choice.

2. My main practise is Buddist meditation. I only want an energy practise (or simple methods) to assist with managing energy or resolving blockages or whatever is the correct way to say it. 

3. I naively assumed different energy practises would be suitable for different purposes and accordingly people would recommend an appropriate method for my situation ie I already have the energy so I don't need to waste time trying to generate it - I've just got to deal with it. (I realise this assumption is probably wrong-headed and due to my ignorance of these matters).

But I am disappointed and surprised few people have suggested specific methods and books (I only recall one book suggestion). Once again I am not criticising posters just feeling a little perplexed. 

Shouldn't choosing a method be a bit more like walking into the pharmacy, describing my symptoms and being given a choice of medications.

If this forum is the pharmacy and you guys are the pharmacists and I have just said I have constipation, I still don't know if I should treat it with aspirin, condoms or band aids.

Ok, that's probably not the best analogy but you get my drift?

Anyway, just being real honest, clarifying stuff and trying to  illicit some specific advice. 

PS Don't advise me to change my personality.   

I once saw a psychologist in the midst of my major depression (for which I was voluntarily hospitalised for a period of 10 days at one stage) 

She told me 'Just stop being an asshole and stop feeling sorry for yourself'.

Things are never that simple. 

Cheers

Why are you asking for help when you seem very convinced about what you are doing and and why you are doing it and who you are? Seems a bit stupid don't you think?! Sounds to me like you've worked it all out, but want to argue with others about the advice they dish out freely, to convince yourself of what you are doing is valid!

My advice is don't ask if you can't stand the answers, it's as easy as that. If you want a Parrot go to the pet shop, it will repeat all the answers you ask it to.

7 minutes ago, flowing hands said:

Why are you asking for help when you seem very convinced about what you are doing and and why you are doing it and who you are? Seems a bit stupid don't you think?! Sounds to me like you've worked it all out, but want to argue with others about the advice they dish out freely, to convince yourself of what you are doing is valid!

My advice is don't ask if you can't stand the answers, it's as easy as that. If you want a Parrot go to the pet shop, it will repeat all the answers you ask it to.

As I understood it, he was asking for practices, and didn't find pontifications quite as welcome (or as addressing what he was actually seeking). 

My own advice would be to understand the question before believing one has the answer and going on a rant. But, ymmv...

Hi Guys

What I have decided?

I'm going to try Yantra Yoga.

I may also try 8 brocades and maybe  Shibashi later.

Reasons:

There was by chance a Harmonious Breathing (This is based on Yantra Yoga) workshop near home so I went along and it seemed ok. I am going to learn both Harmonious Breathing and Yantra Yoga via books and DVD's I will likely have the opportunity to do a workshop or course in the next six months and can contact a teacher in the interim if I need help).

I like and practice yoga and it appeals more than Qiging or Tai Chi and will give more physical benefits which is important as I plan to do some long, hard-core meditation retreats.

I am interested in exploring the breath generally as an aid to both sitting and moving meditation and I feel both methods will greatly increase my breath awareness.

Its a Buddhist practice and that's my path.

As to why 8 Brocades and possibly later Shibashi:

I met with John Dolic. He didn't advocate any specific technique (same as most here).  I wanted something easy to learn and wasn't attracted to any of the other methods he taught. Apparently these styles can be easily learnt in few classes unlike Tai Chi. 

I like the fact that Yantra and 8 Brocades are really really old methods.

I may do Yantra first or maybe practice both - I think John said that was ok.

I've tried to approach this in a logical way by posting here and meeting John but ultimately this is largely an intuitive and prgagmatic decision and I will just see how it goes. 

So I am doing stuff that I think I might like and therefore stick to or otherwise starting with simple methods - so this feels like common sense.

Cheers

PS I had never heard of Yantra Yoga till I read about it in this forum ten days ago. So I can say I got the answer to my question here.

• Like 2