Naoto.S

Side effects and Seokmun Breathing Meditation

Dear all
In order to improve my poor health, I have practiced Seokmun Breathing Meditation, which originated in Korea, for about a year.
But my health has not gotten better a bit, or rather, sometimes side-effects are caused.
Actually, I have tried various types of meditations and qi-qongs for 9 years but none of them work well for me.
Does anybody have the same experience?

Thank you.

On 10/30/2019 at 11:36 PM, Naoto.S said:
Dear all
In order to improve my poor health, I have practiced Seokmun Breathing Meditation, which originated in Korea, for about a year.
But my health has not gotten better a bit, or rather, sometimes side-effects are caused.
Actually, I have tried various types of meditations and qi-qongs for 9 years but none of them work well for me.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome,

I don't know anything about Seokmum Breathing so I can't comment on that.  Also you don't say what your health condition is, maybe you don't want to - so that's fine.  Maybe, I don't know, you need to do something more physical?  Generally I would say qi-gong does have positive health benefits - provided its practiced properly of course.  But also I would say that its not like taking pills - there's no prescribed technique which will work without sensitivity and understanding.

I'm sure if you post in General or Healing Circle you'll get some useful answers.

Good luck.

A.

• Like 2

@Apech

Thank you for the reply Apech.

Actually, when I practice the meditation for a long term, I will eventually suffer from the side-effects, such as insomnia, restlessness, and headaches.

Probably just as you say, something physical is good for me. Static meditation may be liable to cause side-effects.

The system of the Seokmun Breathing Meditation has both dynamic exercise and static meditation. So for now it may be good for me to focus on dynamic exercise.

But the problem here is the teacher. He does not understand my situation, so he instructs me to practice static meditation. Plus he is the founder of this meditation.

Of course I can simply ignore his instructions and practice just as I want to; but is it really possible to practice, without someone's instruction?

For your reference

http://balancemeditation.kr/?ckattempt=1

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHvafBTLn36EqNwczLuza8A

Perhaps I will post in Healing Circle too.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Naoto.S said:

@Apech

Actually, when I practice the meditation for a long term, I will eventually suffer from the side-effects, such as insomnia, restlessness, and headaches.

Probably just as you say, something physical is good for me. Static meditation may be liable to cause side-effects.

The system of the Seokmun Breathing Meditation has both dynamic exercise and static meditation. So for now it may be good for me to focus on dynamic exercise.

But the problem here is the teacher. He does not understand my situation, so he instructs me to practice static meditation. Plus he is the founder of this meditation.

Of course I can simply ignore his instructions and practice just as I want to; but is it really possible to practice, without someone's instruction?

For your reference

Thank you.

Thanks for the links - I don't speak Korean(?) so I am none the wiser.

I think there's two things to say about 'side effects' such as you describe.

We don't ordinarily operate as free beings - we bring into the world a lot of 'baggage' - you could say karmic influences and what's more we create a lot more for ourselves when we are in ignorance.  So we all meet obstructions in practice - if some one says they don't then they are not really practicing.  Though some have an easier ride than others.  If you meditate or do some kind of energy practice at some stage you will stir up some latent problems and things will seem to get worse even if they are getting better.  Obviously you would prefer not to feel uncomfortable and so on and so you will look for ways to get rid of these feelings.  Which is normal and understandable - and most systems include some kind purification practice to cleanse you subtle body.  So it is perfectly possible that your teacher is right and you should just persist no matter how painful it is.  

On the other hand there are practices which are not so helpful - usually in my experience those which offer quick fix or extra powerful routes to whatever the goal is defined to be.  You can harm yourself by doing these kind of things.  I feel you need to use your own judgement as to whether the meditation you have been taught is contributing to your state of being.

@Apech

Thank you, and I fully understand what you mean. But actually, Seokmun is not my first meditation.

9 years ago, I tried one Taoism meditation to improve my poor health, only resulting in causing severe side-effects and making my condition even worse.
After that, I met one teacher, and he helped me a lot to cure the side-effect. He himself had the experince of suffering from severe side-effects, so he knows much about how to erase them. And he tought me how to distinguish process of purification and side-effects.

It seems that I am very susceptible to side-effects. My energy easily goes out of control.

So during practice, I have to pay much more attention to prevent them than others. The problem is only few teachers can deal with this sensitive problem of side-effects and purification.

I may be making mistakes framing the problem, but at the moment I am feeling lost, in finding a teacher.

3 hours ago, Naoto.S said:

@Apech

Thank you, and I fully understand what you mean. But actually, Seokmun is not my first meditation.

9 years ago, I tried one Taoism meditation to improve my poor health, only resulting in causing severe side-effects and making my condition even worse.
After that, I met one teacher, and he helped me a lot to cure the side-effect. He himself had the experince of suffering from severe side-effects, so he knows much about how to erase them. And he tought me how to distinguish process of purification and side-effects.

It seems that I am very susceptible to side-effects. My energy easily goes out of control.

So during practice, I have to pay much more attention to prevent them than others. The problem is only few teachers can deal with this sensitive problem of side-effects and purification.

I may be making mistakes framing the problem, but at the moment I am feeling lost, in finding a teacher.

Maybe you could post in the Healing Circle section with some details on the side-effects and someone may be able to offer some kind of diagnosis and cure.  Though if they are severe and physical you should go to a doctor for a check up first before doing anything else.

On 02/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, Naoto.S said:

@Apech

For your reference

Thank you.

HI. When i practice some martial chi kung i had insomnia (became to yang and the energy goes up). You can try the tai chi chi kung (shibashi) to help circulate energy in a more yin way, that was the method that i use to correct my energy balance. Sorry for my english still learning it.....

Also, i am trying to send a e-mail to try this seokmun breathing. Do you have contact with a teacher that does online classes in english?

On 31/10/2019 at 12:36 AM, Naoto.S said:
Dear all

Thank you.

You should try fragrant qi gong. This is the best qi gong for improving health