TheCove

Mantras

Greetings,

I am curious about Mantras.

Would it be correct to consider them having strength because of the many through out the ages empowered them so?

Would be correct to consider them having strength because the tones reflect universal vibrations of reality?

Also what are some good three or four syllable ones?

I would like to use them for stillness and clarity.  My mind can go very fast and in many directions, this gets tiresome.

Thank you for any info.

TheCove

Read Thomas Ashley Farrand.

the best books on mantra come from him.

Healing Mantras, Shakti Mantras, and Chakra Mantras. All three books are essential.

• Like 2

Thank you.  I came across:  Om Swami - The Ancient Science of Mantras Wisdom of the Sages ,  for "free"  as an epub.

I will look into it that one unless it is no good?

Just now, TheCove said:

Thank you.  I came across:  Om Swami - The Ancient Science of Mantras Wisdom of the Sages ,  for "free"  as an epub.

I will look into it that one unless it is no good?

Don't bother.

Go with Thomas Ashley-Farrand. Seriously, almost everything else in English won't give you the depth and answers you look for. It is daily reading really. 

Buddhist mantras, as far as I understand it, are considered to be the essence of that particular Buddha. As such, all of them can lead to enlightenment, but all of them have different side benefits on the way there. For instance the Mani will generate great compassion, while the Medicine Buddha mantra will heal illness. The Tara mantra will lend you fearlessness etc. These are the different aspects of enlightened activity that these Buddhas represent. But the end goal is the same. 

I have no idea why they work as they do. I believe that perhaps the sound has a particular vibration which corresponds to a particular energy. But it's way beyond my ken. It's enough for me to know they work.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

Buddhist mantras, as far as I understand it, are considered to be the essence of that particular Buddha. As such, all of them can lead to enlightenment, but all of them have different side benefits on the way there. For instance the Mani will generate great compassion, while the Medicine Buddha mantra will heal illness. The Tara mantra will lend you fearlessness etc. These are the different aspects of enlightened activity that these Buddhas represent. But the end goal is the same. 

I have no idea why they work as they do. I believe that perhaps the sound has a particular vibration which corresponds to a particular energy. But it's way beyond my ken. It's enough for me to know they work.

Thank you for your insight.  It helps me formulate my intent with this better.

The traditional explanation I have heard in Shaivite and Buddhist tantra is that one must receive the mantra in person from some one who has successfully “activated” the mantra—- i.e practiced it to fruition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

The traditional explanation I have heard in Shaivite and Buddhist tantra is that one must receive the mantra in person from some one who has successfully “activated” the mantra—- i.e practiced it to fruition.

For some mantras in the vajrayana tradition you need transmission. But generally anything from the sutras is fine to practice without transmission. 

• Like 2

You can practice it, but I imagine being a sutra method, the Vajrayana view would be that such practices would take three countless eons. 

9 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

For some mantras in the vajrayana tradition you need transmission. But generally anything from the sutras is fine to practice without transmission. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

You can practice it, but I imagine being a sutra method, the Vajrayana view would be that such practices would take three countless eons. 

Where did you hear that? The amitabha mantra for instance leads to rebirth in a pure land at death, as do many other sutra methods. 

It is fairly common knowledge in Vajrayana, and can be found in most beginner books and is often mentioned in live teachings. A simple Google search will produce a variety of sources, from Khenchen Thrangu to Tsongkahpha.  

8 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Where did you hear that? The amitabha mantra for instance leads to rebirth in a pure land at death, as do many other sutra methods. 

An excellent chant to master during homestay :lol: 

On a serious note, those practicing mudras will appreciate this clip. The sheer flow of the movements and variety is amazing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, C T said:

An excellent chant to master during homestay :lol: 

On a serious note, those practicing mudras will appreciate this clip. The sheer flow of the movements and variety is amazing. 

My old teacher used to say these flowing mudras were the means by which Buddhas themselves communicated.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

My old teacher used to say these flowing mudras were the means by which Buddhas themselves communicated.

Your old teacher is correct. Buddhas and dakinis communicate visually, thats why symbolism and ritual play such a vital role in tantrayana. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SAMANTABHADRA said:

OM AH RA PA CHA NA DHIH

Do you have experience with it?

So I had heard that Amitofu works on the crown chakra.

Does anyone know a Buddhist mantra that works on the brow chakra?

12 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

There probably aren't many such Buddhist mantras because the brow chakra is intimately related to the third eye and its opening. From what I gather, these are not desired in Buddhist training because they may lead to experiencing distracting spiritual phenomena.

• Like 2

Yes, but it wouldn't work unless you got the appropriate transmissions, etc. See my post above. 

24 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Edited by forestofemptiness
  • Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 4:32 PM, forestofemptiness said:

For mantras and dharanis found in sutras, no;  for mantras in the Mantrayana, yes.

M

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1