Alchemistgeorge

Qigong techniques for better, longer, deeper sleep?

I recently learned of a qigong technique called the Nine Turns / Sleeping loop - its in Gilles Marin's book "Healing from WIthin with Chi Nei Tsang', Gilles says its from Sheng Zhen Wuji Yuan Gong (Master Li Jun Feng).  With practice one is supposed to arrive at the state of being able to fall asleep anytime you want by doing this technique for a couple of minutes!

I'm skeptical,

I'm practicing,

if this works, well, wow!

Are there are other qigong /meditation techniques that are specifically for improving the quantity and quality of sleep?

We've all done meditations or practices where we inadvertently fell asleep, that is not what I'm talking about.

There are also loads of techniques that will make you happier, make you healthier, build strong bodies 12 ways, and, among their long list of side effects, probably improve your sleep. I do those $!%#$ things every !$%#$ day, and I am $#$@! happier, and I am healthier, and no, they haven't really improved my sleep that much, yet.

Thanks

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Alchemistgeorge said:

I recently learned of a qigong technique called the Nine Turns / Sleeping loop - its in Gilles Marin's book "Healing from WIthin with Chi Nei Tsang', Gilles says its from Sheng Zhen Wuji Yuan Gong (Master Li Jun Feng).  With practice one is supposed to arrive at the state of being able to fall asleep anytime you want by doing this technique for a couple of minutes!

I'm skeptical,

I'm practicing,

if this works, well, wow!

Will be interested to hear the results of your Nine Turns investigation if you feel like sharing later.  I´ve attended Sheng Zhen workshops with Master Li and highly recommend him and his system.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Relaxation qigong and sleeping qigong from John Dolic. 

www.qigongchinesehealth.com

If I am reading that site correctly, the description sounds great and learning it costs $1,600 Aus (8 hours * $200 per hour) to learn - ie a bit over $1,000 US - for the first level.

Have you learned this?

1 minute ago, Alchemistgeorge said:

If I am reading that site correctly, the description sounds great and learning it costs $1,600 Aus (8 hours * $200 per hour) to learn - ie a bit over $1,000 US - for the first level.

Have you learned this?

Yes, I paid full price for it and all techniques I have learned with him. 

I don't own any of these, so can't comment on their effectiveness:

Daoist Sleeping Meditation: Chen Tuan's Sleeping Gong

Daoist Dream Practice Audio CD

Eight Pieces of Brocade/Sleeping Qigong

It's not specifically for sleep, but I've noticed that the times in the past when I've practiced Pangu Shengong at night, the quality of my sleep seemed much improved, sometimes sleeping straight through the night and waking up feeling refreshed. I should start doing that again! Also, not qigong, but yoga nidra is said to produce effects equivalent to deep sleep in a short period of time. It's certainly very relaxing in any case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Alchemistgeorge said:

Have you learned this?

Also if you’re really iffy about costs, start with Relaxation form as it builds a good foundation towards sleeping form and I regularly do both still.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, Earl Grey said:

Yes, I paid full price for it and all techniques I have learned with him. 

Whoa, any chance you could share a few thoughts on his practice? There's not too much sleeping gong being taught out there, at least that I've ever heard of. Would love to learn more, but I won't start with asking any specific questions, as I have no idea what you're even allowed to speak about in public. Thanks!

Edited by Walker

15 minutes ago, Walker said:

Whoa, any chance you could share a few thoughts on his practice? There's not too much sleeping gong being taught out there, at least that I've ever heard of. Would love to learn more, but I won't start with asking any specific questions, as I have no idea what you're even allowed to speak about in public. Thanks!

I'll message you privately about this. :) Shoot me any questions privately first so I know what you're interested in learning about specifically with shuigong.

Have you tried non-qigong techniques? 

Such as: limiting/eliminating caffeine; shutting down all electronics at least an hour before bed; adjusting the temperature of the room; meditating before bed, wearing an eye mask; etc.? 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 5:52 AM, forestofemptiness said:

Have you tried non-qigong techniques? 

Such as: limiting/eliminating caffeine; shutting down all electronics at least an hour before bed; adjusting the temperature of the room; meditating before bed, wearing an eye mask; etc.? 

Oh, Yes. I've done a great deal of research and tried all those and many more. Avoiding alcohol for at least 5 hours before bed is a huge factor. Avoid eating a few hours before bed also helps, putting my cellphone into airplane mode, and using an app on my phone that monitors my snoring and rates my sleep quality and the effects of different factors.

That kind of approach has been very helpful and resulted in a huge measurable improvement in my sleep quality and quantity.  And I'd love to go even further.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 10:46 PM, Alchemistgeorge said:

Have you learned this?

I have experienced the state of sleeping qigong spontaneously a few times and have always wanted to train to experience it more consitiently.  It is unfortunate that the most authentic looking system that has been recommended here is prohibitively expensive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Creation said:

I have experienced the state of sleeping qigong spontaneously a few times and have always wanted to train to experience it more consitiently.  It is unfortunate that the most authentic looking system that has been recommended here is prohibitively expensive.

You can talk with Dolic and negotiate a payment plan with him. He is that friendly.

But if the price is something you’re unwilling to pay rather something you can’t at the moment afford, across the board, no one will benefit if they don’t acknowledge the value of anything that is worth its salt. Even if given it for free, the mind that is unable to see and acknowledge that value actually blocks progress and potential. And this system is one of the most powerful that I know.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:21 AM, Creation said:

By sleeping qigong do you mean lucid consciousness while sleeping?  If so, training is available from Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche.  There are periodic online courses in dream yoga as well as sleep yoga offered through Glidewing.com that will set you back a few hundred bucks.  Also, a book: Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep. I think the Bum most knowledgeable about these practices is @steve.  He might be able to offer suggestions as far as how to proceed if this is your interest.  

On 11/4/2019 at 10:58 AM, liminal_luke said:

By sleeping qigong do you mean lucid consciousness while sleeping?

Actually, no.  It is like being fully aware of my body and environment and yet being asleep, and just a few hours of this state is as restful as a whole night of sleep.  These two things would seem contradictory, yet in this state they coexist.  It has something to do with the lower dan tian and the Shen, but I don't know exactly how to facilitate it.

When I explored lucid dreaming I found my sleep was not as restful. 

36 minutes ago, Creation said:

When I explored lucid dreaming I found my sleep was not as restful. 

ditto. 

I've been playing around with an Oura sleep ring which tracks sleep types, ie REM, light sleep, deep sleep, night wakefulness (by heart rate, body temp,movement).  And Deep Sleep seems to be the holy grail of rejuvenation.  Which echoes some Taoist traditions of not going into exotic states rather literally deep sleep. 

• Like 2

On 26/10/2019 at 10:23 AM, Earl Grey said:

Also if you’re really iffy about costs, start with Relaxation form as it builds a good foundation towards sleeping form and I regularly do both still.

They are very different? Can you explain more about your experience with relaxation form? 

真正的修煉的好不是只有睡得好而已,而是醒睡如一,雖然身體睡著了,但是內在覺知卻是清醒的,教你的老師,必須本身能練到這樣的程度,或者曾經達到這樣的程度,才有資格來談所謂的修煉教學。

Nothing is more beneficial for restful sleep than doing volumes 2 and 7 during the day of the series on DVD, Flying Phoenix Chi Kung system taught by Terry Dunn. 

I must rectify, in the sitting meditation exercises of the second DVD of master Terry Dunn, the last exercise contained in said DVD should be avoided, which can generate a lot of energy and cause insomnia.

In other systems, a lot of "caloric chi" is generated that ends up causing insomnia, since it tends to rise. If that is your case, it is always advisable to lower the chi generated with acupressure at the kidney, spleen and liver points found in the feet.

Edited by Eduardo
Clarification
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Eduardo said:

Nothing is more beneficial for restful sleep than doing volumes 2 and 7 during the day of the series on DVD, Flying Phoenix Chi Kung system taught by Terry Dunn. 

I must rectify, in the sitting meditation exercises of the second DVD of master Terry Dunn, the last exercise contained in said DVD should be avoided, which can generate a lot of energy and cause insomnia.

In other systems, a lot of "caloric chi" is generated that ends up causing insomnia, since it tends to rise. If that is your case, it is always advisable to lower the chi generated with acupressure at the kidney, spleen and liver points found in the feet.

Just to add to this, it's specifically Monk Serves Wine 2, the fifth sitting meditation exercise from the second DVD and the first exercise  from the seventh DVD (which is nicknamed "The Sleeper") that are the best Flying Phoenix Chi Kung exercises for good sleep. 

More info can be found here: https://forum.alchemical.garden/threads/18/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1