Sign in to follow this  
Jim D.

If only I would listen

My wife has been advising me on the technique in opening our stuck garage door. I struggle and use muscle to open it. She uses finesse. All she does is turn the door knob to the left and then to the right, and it opens with little or no effort at all. I tried her technique this morning and got the same results. I said to her, it reminded me of Tai Chi. She said she thought the same. It took me all summer and part of the Fall to try it her way. 

It would make our lives a lot easier if we paid attention to others who try to help us. 

• Like 1

that post above is made by a female.

why do you you do that?

paying attention would be important in a marriage for sure

so is trust

glad you found a way to open that door

On 17/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, Jim D. said:

It would make our lives a lot easier if we paid attention to others who try to help us. 

You got to open the door and your wife got something arguably even more precious: she got to be the one who showed you how to do it.  What a gift we give other people when we allow them to be our teachers.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

Yes, it was an important lesson learned about life and letting go. But you know, after about 5 or 6 turns of the door knob I loose patience and default back to using muscle to open the door. Doing it this way puts strain on the brain and arm. I will always be a limited (dahhh!) impatient human being.  Do you blame me, I gotta get through that door. Right?

Hey @Jim D.  with a wife, there is much to learn :wub:

I can't count how many times I have found I have a combative nature towards just listening and learning.  I often refer to her as a crab, hard shell on the outside but soft and tender on the inside.  When you live in china, the shell is a necessary byproduct... the inner self is the true aspect.

There is a reason that Laozi mentions the female aspect and there was at the beginning a matriarchy... that we'll likely never see again.  But it still rings strong in my wife's northeast lineage that descends from the Man group that ruled the Qing dynasty.   You don't want to f*!& with them.  But you can learn more than imagined...   carry on... 

Sign in to follow this