waterdrop

What are all the benifits of wall squats ?

What are all the benefits of wall squats 

In zhineng qigong they say if you do 100 everyday you can heal every physical health problem - is it true ?  

can it heal stuff like my dust allergy ? can it improve eyesight ?   can this exercise  alone help give a person a perfect posture without doing anything else ?

what about 50 wall-squats  a day ?   what about 200 a day ?  what are the effect of those ?   

and how did they reach 100 squats *at a time* (in the book  "methods of zhineng qigong)   as the recommended amount ?       how different in benefits   a 100 at a time is than 100 a day ( i know of people who do a 100 a day not a time are they missing out - in case they can do it all a single time ?)  ?

and for those who did/do it  - how do you keep track to do a 100 ?

wondering about doing this for as much as i can so extending it to maybe 2 hours a day maybe even 4 or 5 etc   -   and i wonder if this excerice can stand by its own as a "practice"   or its just supplementary

does it help in sexual transmutation ?

would  love to get all the benefits this exercise can have  ---  would like also above what you know in thoery or heared about this exercise benefits  to hear about personal benefits people experienced with this exercise ? 

also even though its not the main question if someone wants to add tips about best way to do it that can be good too  (though main question is about the benefits of it)

Edited by waterdrop
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, waterdrop said:

What are all the benefits of wall squats 

In zhineng qigong they say if you do 100 everyday you can heal every physical health problem - is it true ?  

can it heal stuff like my dust allergy ? can it improve eyesight ?

what about 50 wall-squats  a day ?   what about 200 a day ?  what are the effect of those ? 

Before halving or doubling the "recommended dose," why not simply do the recommended amount and see what benefits you experience?

• Like 1

I did in the past in a course for two months 6 days a week not seven and not sure i did 100  (at least a month a did them for 1 hour in morning but did with big breaks between squats)   maybe i felt better from it not sure there wasnt something exceptional i noticed  from it specifically though i think there might have been but not sure  - i started doing it for half an hour a day now but not sure how much i will persist in this would be nice to get motivation    or to know maybe it dosnt have much benefit above 100 times a day  or maybe there is but better to add other excericses  instead like  LCUPCD  and other qigong exercises - maybe it heals a lot but not all maybe its better to add stuff like "pushing mountains" as well  or instead and do little wall squats little pushing mountains . and actual experience of people or what people heard about this , would be nice to get explanations about this exercises    -      if i will do 100 a day and it wont do anything and i would expect it too it will cause frustration and reduce chances i put effort in future too  - maybe you need to do a 100 but do it at least 3 months  or maybe you need to do it  for 7 days a week  and if you do just 6 days it has no effect -  maybe im wasting my time on this when there are better stuff   - so answers can be not only to motivate me but to say that the expectations from this are too high (healing all physical illneses etc)   -  i think the vast majority of questions here can be answered that its better to expirence them instaed of asking which is true but still ...   would like to hear about this exercise benefits and explanations about why it happens if possible too  from experience of people or from theory they ran into    -  there are a million reasons  (some more important than others) why i am asking this that dont come to my head right now as well 

If i do 100 a day srpead around and someone writes here that its important to do them all at 100 time and if so than it really can make your qi flow very well unlike 100 in a day spread  through than thats a great benefit i can get from a reply

I dont base my practice fully on what people write here but its added to my decision making - For example  if i do wall squats 1 hour a day and i think that my not so good eye sight is something i need to take care of so i decided to do eye sight exercise and so instead of doing 1 hour a day of wall squats i do just 30 minutes and the other 30 minutes i do exercises for the eyes or send qi to eyes etc ...     but if someone says it can help heal the eyes and imrpove eyesight than i would stay with wall squats and maybe even heal other stuff on the way maybe stuff i dont even know about  - and will get motivated by that reply to do more  even 5 hours a day

on the other hand if it dosnt heal eyesight and i expect it too and after 3 months my eyesight didnt get better i would feel cheated cause it says it can cure all physical illness ! if you do a 100 at a time each day  -   than i would stop doing them out of frustration instead of keeping to do them for all my life and get benifts from it 

a good answer can be  "yes it says it can heal eyeseight"  and even better ones can be : "i healed my eyesight with wallsquats"   or  also a great one :   "wall squats can heal your eyes cause when you do them it pushes qi up into your head and spesificly thorugh the qoogsdfjjjcsg  channel  and the eye is connected to your sdfgjkhsdl and thats how its really effective for eyesight"

or as i eited my answer now to make it even more clear  - if this exercise can help correct posture by itself than great i just do more of it and try to do it with good forum  - but if its not enough than i might look for other ways to correct posture and other stuff

BUT i dont want to get to a discussion about this though cause it really derails a topic so instead of geting a lot of info about wall squats i just get assessed instead    -this  just to get answeres and more info people know/heared about this exercise

Edited by waterdrop
  • Thanks 1

squats are healthy.  They stimulate and tone many muscles particularly the big ones in the legs and glutes.  Doing a large number of them helps the heart due to aerobic action.  On the other hand, they're not magic and won't cure everything.  I doubt any help for eye sight.

I've found doing squats and pushups are great whole body exercises. These days I do goblet squats holding a medium weight 35 to 50# dumb bell or equivalent kettlebell, squat deep and after straightening do a press, ie lift the weight above my head.   A little more compounding exercise.

In my eyes doing it with weights means I don't have to do as many reps, which is easier on my joints.  Which can be a problem with high rep bodyweight exercises.  Particularly as one gets older.  Joint health matters.

• Like 1

Here is a video on how to do wall squats by Luke Chan. The correct way is facing against the wall and to use the mingmen to "lift" the body. It doesn't have much to do with muscles if done correctly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

@waterdrop  Would you consider using capital letters, periods, and commas - especially when using the amount of words you have?

I do have some further on topic thoughts to share, but they will have to wait until I have more time. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 11:02 PM, Never Mind said:

Here is a video on how to do wall squats by Luke Chan. The correct way is facing against the wall and to use the mingmen to "lift" the body. It doesn't have much to do with muscles if done correctly.

Ahh, Wall squats, I was ignoring the wall. 

In Aikido we'd practice a similar move, sinking straight down, next to a wall to teach us to fall properly.

Edited by thelerner

@waterdrop

My present thoughts on this:

Working up to an ability to do 100 in one session may be a generalized point where the benefits of the practice may be noticed. It is likely enough to assist in mind/body harmony, and, in this, physical problems which are psychosomatic in nature have the potential to be alleviated. And to be clear, even "carry over" pains from decades old injuries may actually be psychosomatic, and alleviated by such mind/body alignment.

Yes, I believe this practice may assist with posture.

I doubt if it will fix your eye site.

The dust allergy is another matter, and I would actually suggest looking into your diet regarding ways to help alleviate it.

• Like 1

Oh, and keep in mind, "when the shoe fits, the foot is forgotten."

As in if something has stopped aching, or being some sort of irritant, you may simply not notice it anymore, and not recognize the benefit you're getting from this simple practice. 

@Never Mind  That's a good demo. 

A more challenging version would be to touch the toes to the wall and actually slide your nose along the wall.  That's what my teacher showed me when I asked him.  He said, wear shoes to cheat a bit, they will provide some space between the toes and the wall.  Duh.  Not enough of a cheat for me.  Shoes, plus a couple more inches of space like in the demo, that works. :)

He also showed me the opposite wall squat, facing away from the wall.  Both are a kind of qigong, the second one is known as the Beggar's Squat.  The story told with it is that it was the position beggars used to sit in to keep the butt off the cold stones (you are not supposed to sit on anything cold in China, it's thought of as not only uncomfortable but unhealthy), but more than that, to heal any stomach issues, which the beggars were very prone to because sometimes they got offerings of good food and sometimes of the kind of food ready to be thrown away, plus very irregularly -- one day they might eat a meal that's too big when someone has been generous, and go without another day.  So, this is the stomach-healing squat, apparently.  It also compresses the calves, but instead of impairing circulation it supposedly stimulates it, the calves are known as "the second heart" and this compression is training them to pump blood more vigorously.  

The explanations, with references and contexts, were given while we were both sitting in that position, at opposite walls.  I discovered that when you sit like that for a long(ish) time rather than do "reps" the impact is way more pronounced.  I didn't feel the pose was tiring me out, but then when I got up to do taiji, I discovered, to my surprise, that my legs felt as though I just ran a mile.  

• Like 3

I don't think that the 100 squats saying should be interpreted literally, nor should the statement that they will cure everything. I think it just means that if you can do a lot of wall squats it will be a healthy thing to do. I think they are especially good for the hips and the spine. These are vital areas to keep flexible and supple. If you can do 100 that's great! At one time I was doing 100 in 4 sets of 25. It felt really good when I was doing it. At first I was stiff then the more I did the the more loose I got and the better it felt. But, then my knees started to hurt and I had to give them up for a while. I think I was overdoing it. Now I only do 10-30 per day. I was also doing LCUPCD everyday, but I don't do it anymore. But, that's another story...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, escott said:

I don't think that the 100 squats saying should be interpreted literally, nor should the statement that they will cure everything. I think it just means that if you can do a lot of wall squats it will be a healthy thing to do. I think they are especially good for the hips and the spine. These are vital areas to keep flexible and supple. If you can do 100 that's great! At one time I was doing 100 in 4 sets of 25. It felt really good when I was doing it. At first I was stiff then the more I did the the more loose I got and the better it felt. But, then my knees started to hurt and I had to give them up for a while. I think I was overdoing it. Now I only do 10-30 per day. I was also doing LCUPCD everyday, but I don't do it anymore. But, that's another story...

Regarding the knees, powerlifters I knew warned of this, and stressed the importance of alignment of feet and hips and making sure the knees neither canter in nor out, but remain in alignment with the feet and hips to avoid injury. 

Which you may very well be aware of...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilumairen said:

Regarding the knees, powerlifters I knew warned of this, and stressed the importance of alignment of feet and hips and making sure the knees neither canter in nor out, but remain in alignment with the feet and hips to avoid injury. 

Which you may very well be aware of...

You're so right. As a former football player and powerlifter back in the 80's I know this all too well. Had my share of knee injuries... I've learned what you're saying from doing Tai Chi. In the case of wall squats I've learned that it is better to do 10 with good form and focusing on LDT than it is to do 100 sloppy squats just to say I did 100.

• Like 2

The benefits of wall squats for physical health can not be understated as static holds help focus the muscle area and build endurance. Applying that to Zhan Zhuang, it is good for eventually preparing you for low stances and sinking. 

As for allergies and your qigong system, I can not comment on that because I do not practice it, so it is best you ask your instructor. 

8 hours ago, escott said:

In the case of wall squats I've learned that it is better to do 10 with good form and focusing on LDT than it is to do 100 sloppy squats just to say I did 100.

Wanted to highlight this bit. Thank you for stating it so plainly and directly. 

7 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

As for allergies and your qigong system, I can not comment on that because I do not practice it, so it is best you ask your instructor. 

I'm not sure the individual has an instructor in regard to this as it was mentioned the recommendation for 100 wall squats a day was found in the book Methods of Zhineng Qigong.

3 hours ago, ilumairen said:

I'm not sure the individual has an instructor in regard to this as it was mentioned the recommendation for 100 wall squats a day was found in the book Methods of Zhineng Qigong.

If he has an instructor, then it will be helpful to ask (some of us start with books before going to a teacher), but if not l, it’s hard to really give an accurate answer without intuiting because of overlap in systems. The overlap can help, but accuracy is still not necessarily precise.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:02 PM, Never Mind said:

Here is a video on how to do wall squats by Luke Chan. The correct way is facing against the wall and to use the mingmen to "lift" the body. It doesn't have much to do with muscles if done correctly

Oh, that's useful.  Both the mingmen part and permission to be a couple inches away from the wall.  I never would have considered doing such a high number as 100 the way I have been doing them (feet flush with the wall).  As it happens I'm focusing on my legs in my qigong/neigong practice right now.

• Like 1