waterdrop

"strongest"/most effective qigong/spiritual practice ?

I was wondering about strongest  (or not strongest but the strongest you know of)  spiritual practice you know

i would like to have some "cool"  out of the usual spiritual (i including feeling qi in this - seeing lights etc)    that has the fastest effect  -  or maybe not even the fastest but that has sure effects if you do it and effects in a pretty short time ( a few months is also ok)

for example  is rebirthing that excericse ?  100 wall squats every day ?   horse stand ?  etc

(Asking cause heared that if you do 100 wall squats each day it can heal all your health problems -  and made me think about after trying many stuff and always feeling motivated that i dont see a difference (meditaitng for hours etc)  and have a hard time to keep practicing non stop for more than a month  (can do intesnse practice but not keep it more than a month  without stopping)   thought maybe there is some exercise that you 100%  sure if you do for like tops one month you almost certainly will experience some "cool stuff"  (more than just feeling more relaxed ! )     that can help motviate you further and since i dont want to be dissapointed wanted to hear about teh "Strongest"  exceirses people know about that have the biggest chance to get results                   ** and without getting into a debate about it - im asking for all spiritual practices (spiritual can also be physical like wall squats of course)  except drugs which i am not interested in trying

I was curious so I gave these zhineng qigong wall squats a go. They're very difficult! Can barely do more than two. I'm sure when you can do 100 it will be pretty good for your health.

Personally I find the most powerful, fastest acting practice is the wim hof method. It's great for health and increased energy. 

• Like 1

Strongest is highly subjective as each practice affects individuals differently. Your body may not be as responsive to what one says is good for him and the way to test what is good for you is through Eric Isen at www.ayurvedicintuitive.com

On 10/15/2019 at 1:38 PM, waterdrop said:

I was wondering about strongest  (or not strongest but the strongest you know of)  spiritual practice you know

i would like to have some "cool"  out of the usual spiritual (i including feeling qi in this - seeing lights etc)    that has the fastest effect  -  or maybe not even the fastest but that has sure effects if you do it and effects in a pretty short time ( a few months is also ok)

for example  is rebirthing that excericse ?  100 wall squats every day ?   horse stand ?  etc

(Asking cause heared that if you do 100 wall squats each day it can heal all your health problems -  and made me think about after trying many stuff and always feeling motivated that i dont see a difference (meditaitng for hours etc)  and have a hard time to keep practicing non stop for more than a month  (can do intesnse practice but not keep it more than a month  without stopping)   thought maybe there is some exercise that you 100%  sure if you do for like tops one month you almost certainly will experience some "cool stuff"  (more than just feeling more relaxed ! )     that can help motviate you further and since i dont want to be dissapointed wanted to hear about teh "Strongest"  exceirses people know about that have the biggest chance to get results                   ** and without getting into a debate about it - im asking for all spiritual practices (spiritual can also be physical like wall squats of course)  except drugs which i am not interested in trying

• Haha 3

On 10/15/2019 at 6:38 PM, waterdrop said:

Dividing spiritual practice from physical/heath-based practice can be very trappy. To say the least. No serious Master I have come across makes such a distinction. And, you know, just about everybody will make more or less claims about the particular practice they themselves follow. And sometimes their master will make extravagant claims about what the benefits may or may not be. Simply put, effectiveness is much less about the specifics of the practice and much more about just doing it regularly as a lifetime's dao.

What happens, happens. You can't speed it up. You can't slow it down.  But if you try to push it, you can risk both physical and psychological damage. For instance, deep horse stance, if done too soon or for too long, will just fuck with your knees and back.

Following internal qi work without incorporating it into an external practice is just plain stupid - frankly. There are plenty of stories about the walking-wounded from those who took Mantak Chia's warning too lightly and embarked upon internal work without external work and pastoral guidance. The health-warnings are real. Although there's a lot of marketing nonsense associated with 'secret' teachings, the gate-keeping does perform a useful task in weeding out 'tourists' and ensuring pastoral care at an appropriate pace.

All that said, there are very simple things you can begin to do which in the fullness of time will lead somewhere. So now, of course, I'm going to introduce you to something I do...

The cornerstone of wu shu and martial arts, is zhan zhuang - Standing Like A Tree - which itself is part of a tradition called Da Cheng Chuan, The Great Accomplishment. This practice is very powerful but starts slowly - like all good practice should. The current Grand Master Lam Kam Chuen made a TV programme about zhan zhuang many years ago which was extremely good. It made its way on to youtube and now you can just follow his training. In the beginning it's both very easy and very hard. You just stand. In certain positions. He gives you warmups too. And warm downs. These are actually Ba Duan Jin - The Eight Brocades. There are tons of different forms of this. This is one that keys very well into zhan zhuang.

This practice is sometimes called Yiquan (mind boxing) and/or Tendon Testing, and is an integral part of Daoist energy work, internal and external. The power is that it is a static tradition. You just stand still. This a training for the mind as well as the body. It is, frankly, extremely easy and extremely hard all at the same time... And the teaching is IN the practice.. ie it's quite zen... 'stop thinking, stop talking... [just do the practice] ... and there is nothing you will not know.' Things will be revealed as you practice....

Just start with the video and practise it for a while. If you like it, you can find a teacher by going to Master Lam's website. They are all over the world - fewer in the US, but some. Master Lam spent time there but found very few serious students who didn't want to run before they could barely crawl let alone walk... this is NOT a quick path.. They don't exist..

Edited by Llodro Gyeltsin
  • Like 7

I think the strongest chi gungs are ye olde traditional systems that require you to truly live them..ie  4 hours + a day, you are a disciple of a lineage teacher who you see regularly.  We've had a couple people here who have gone that holistic all in route.  Generally they don't post much because well.. they don't have time or temperament for internet forums.

Some who teach seminars have schedules with hours of standing, sitting, forms.. ie monk boot camp type stuff that's pretty tough.  Course real tough can be sitting on your ass 8 to 12 hours a day as in some Vispassana retreats.  Where some have breakthroughs, others have break downs.  

on the other hand for what the OP is trying to get at (quick tough & dirty), I'd point to Wim Hof, his 10 week programs are pretty tough.  Its not chi gong.. not really but you'll be surprising  yourself if you make it through (note I took 13 weeks to finish).  You'll be doing things in a few weeks that'd be impossible pre-class.  He'll probably have a sale on it soon.

He got razzed for the one hour of Kunlun = 1,000 hours regular exercise.  Rightly so, but the spontaneous gi gung style of Max Christensens Kunlun is fascinating.  Those who are energy open get surprisingly fast results in a seminar.  Some 'get it' from his book.  It's simple, but a bit time consuming cause you really need to do the closing afterwards. 

Lastly I wouldn't downgrade those who use there religious tradition and connect deeply with God.  There's some strength there.  We strive for exotic but sometimes simple, deep and native work best. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Taomeow said:

Ayahuasca, hands down.  

Would you say LSD is in the same ball park?  Or no, its a different game altogether. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Would you say LSD is in the same ball park?  Or no, its a different game altogether. 

I've never taken any lab-created drugs in my life.  Entheogens have been lumped together with them for legal/criminalizing reasons, not because they have anything in common other than the ability to change baseline consciousness.  But that's a meaningless criterion.  Meditation can change baseline consciousness too, high fever can do that, a creative impulse, getting in a fight, falling in love, body-inclusive deep feeling therapy, or a devastating life blow of the kind that turns one's hair gray overnight.  Doesn't mean any of these are "drugs."  I have never even taken a caffeine pill despite drinking coffee every day.  Caffeine is a drug.  I don't do drugs.

So, I have no experience based opinion about LSD, but I was roommates (and friends) once with a guy who'd taken it once eight years earlier and went on a permanent bad trip, irreversible.  By the time I befriended him he was in Primal therapy, and possibly on the mend -- before that, a dozen psychiatrists had given up on him and told him he'd have to be institutionalized for the rest of his life.  He was intellectually brilliant, but what he had where regular humans have an emotional life was something altogether else...  He told me that that first and only time he took LSD, he wasn't aware of it, it was slipped to him by his college "friends" as a "joke."  He was resolved to kill anyone who'd ever do this to him again, told them so, and meant it.  I think it was the closest I ever came in contact with that stuff, and wouldn't come any closer at gunpoint.  I miss that guy (not in any romantic sense, he was gay) and all the crazy far-out philosophical discussions we used to have...  but I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.  

• Like 2

Try to look at the Original Post (OP) as asking in a sense for what drugs to take and then saying "I don't do drugs"

Hang in there with me:

There are many ways in which to condense what is meant to be a long term endeavor into ones inner and outer gross physical, gross subtle and subtle bodies and spiritual practice.  You can in a very real sense find the drugs in the teachings.

Take the strong practices - extract them - and then hyper accentuate them - in this un-wholistic un-natural manner you can partake in many practices that will give you immediate and possibly life threatening experiences.

Prior to going with "practice drugs" - and I mean this seriously - find out who to contact regarding serious kundalini problems, who your health care providers are and what you would do if you could not work for at least 6 months.

Then have fun doing your choice of Practice Drugs - because you indeed are looking for drugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spotless said:

You can in a very real sense find the drugs in the teachings.

Very true, some of the same type of experiences happen in deep meditation as I have heard of happening using mushrooms or ayahuasca. Not as the goal of a meditation but it happens because you are ready it.

As far as “Most powerful” I will have to side with Earl Grey on this one. It depends on the person. I really like daoist qigong and nei gong they work well for me both physically and spiritually. Most importantly find a teacher that suits you or more appropriately find a teacher you can be a great student of.

• Like 4

The strongest practice always has these three:

• You keep doing it and digging ever deeper into it
  • It doesn't distract or mislead you
  • It makes you overcome your own ego trips and errors

It's easy to find all types of practices, but gaining real wisdom can be painfully hard! HARD!

Edited by senseless virtue
cleaning language
  • Like 6