8 hours ago, Rara said:

Yeah...no one else around me gets it. I don't bother talking about this sorta thing because people it either goes over people's heads or they think I'm talking some barmy, floaty new age stuff.

Oh, how more lonely I get as I grow older and practice more.

I figure we're doing it as planned. It can't be explained.  I think it has to be demonstrated one day at a time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rara said:

.but only when the action is necessary.

My understanding as well.  And, when we can see it, to err on the side of love, whatever that means in the situation.  It's always the right decision - almost like treating our brother as ourselves.  And, as it says in the Dao, feelings are to be expressed.  

It is what is left after years of practice and self-examination.  And, like you, I feel the loneliness.  I don't fit in with anything wild and crazy anymore.  I don't think I'm any fun at all any more, actually.  But - once you learn how to walk around with crossed eyes, you really start to like the view.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, manitou said:

But - once you learn how to walk around with crossed eyes, you really start to like the view.  :lol:

:D

On 29/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, Jim D. said:

It is nice to be able to follow your postings. Since I have come to know you, I like supporting your ideas and comments. 

I am learning archery. It is very demanding physically. I use what is called a "bear" recurve bow. The others I shoot with use Olympic recurve bows. They have all the bells and whistles attached to their bows. Here I am with my "Charlie Brown" bow. They look wonderful when they let their arrow fly. I look lucky when I occasionally get inside the target. 

Two days ago one of the "shooters" tried my bow (he shoots a compound bow. It has pullies, a sight, balancing polls, an arrow plunger, clicker, expensive arrows, etc.) Well, my arrows which he used along with trying my bow were well off target when he shot my bow. And it was here that I realized that although this gentlemen is impressive with his own gear, my setup (which is bear bones simple) was challenging for him. He stopped after three shots. 

So, what does this say about practical philosophy. I may be the tortoise struggling to keep up, but someday I will have honed my instincts and skills to where I will never need to depend on mechanics to keep up with the others. I am just alright the way I am.

Note: I am a target shooter. I have no interest in hunting game. I don't have it in me to kill an animal. 

I wish I could remember its name...someone posted it in a thread here years and years ago. A Japanese form of archery where monks spent a lifetime aiming for dead centre. Or something like that. It is considered a martial art.

Your post reminds me of the Zhuangzi butcher tale :)

I play guitar, fairly well I'd like to say. The moment I pick up someone else's, well, it takes some getting used to. People rave about the Gibson Les Paul. I see how it is made amazingly to be very easy on the hands...but when I first picked it up, I was clunky!

Mastering the art is one thing, but the tools themselves are an extention of this mastery.

Edit: Note - I am a jack-of-all trades, master of none!

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

Let me clarify that martial arts being taught today is not taught in a way that a boxer would be taught. Sparring in boxing involves real time contact...you are really getting hit with the  blunt force of your opponent. And it goes on for the length of the round(s). Even with equipment on your head and body your are being traumatized.

In martial art training, you stop just short of hitting the face and body due to possible injury. The habit created is to not make full contact. Even in Aikido and Aikijutsu the person receiving the technique trains to fall in a way that helps to prevent injury. But there is no guarantee. Both systems use submissive locks to subdue the opponent. It is very painful to experience. Even if you go with the flow. 

So, even though I have experienced a variety of martial art systems, I don't feel prepared to handle myself in a street fight especially if it goes to the ground and there are a few guys trying to use my head as a soccer ball and my body as a Makiwara. And even if I got the best of one of them, there is the legal system I would have to encounter. So, there had better be someone who witnessed the conflict to vouch for me.

I got into martial arts because of ego. I got out of it because it could have compromised an earlier back injury. When I took a look back, it all seems silly.  

In Philosophical Daoism, not of that defines who I am. My true self is Dao. 

Edited by Jim D.
Adding something to this post.
  • Like 1

The thing about the tools is also that each one is different, you cant play just anything the way you want on two different guitars. I play a fairly mean delta blues that has two variations, one for my acoustic and one slightly different for an electric ash-tray style someone built once and i like it.

Jack of all tools, master of self might be the person who can find their way almost instantly in unknown territory. 

Martial arts is not about pulling punches or not, it’s about learning how to use and choose appropriately. Boxing is a competitive sport that causes severe injuries and make a nice bed for dementia, parkinsonism and other neurological degradation.

All things float except for those that sink and this all depends on the two or more mediums surrounding them as well as the things own properties in relation to the others and vice versa. Stuff does, stuff is.

I do like the archery thing. Theres this story in an episode of Mind Body and Kickass Moves where a samurai who is a master warrior and archer gets humbled by an old guy pouring thin threads of oil through a coins center without spilling a drop or dirtying the coin.

Its the work that matters and not what it is. 

But then again its all about what it is and the work is obviously not that big of a deal, it’s within anyones grasp.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone seen the film "Shaolin"? Jackie Chan's character is the one that actually does no kung fu, but gives a speech that it is the mastery of something that will lead to enlightenment (he's the chef if you haven't seen)

I'm painting my house at the moment and I'm using martial arts training for that. Same for when I cook, clean, play and instrument etc. I guess it's the same as what the mindfulness movement has suggested over here in the west. Religion is pretty much removed, but the art of focus is emphasised outside of "formal" seated meditation.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1