Sign in to follow this  
Gerard

Palden Dorje

There is an interesting even being unfolded near Kathmandu, Nepal. It is the story of a young Buddhist monk who has been engaged in deep meditation for almost over 6 months. He has committed himself to this practice for a total of 6 years. He is asking everyone to leave him alone. He is not seeking publicity or commercial profit.

Some say he might be Maitreya, the next Buddha. Anyway, you can read a more detailed info in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Bomjon

Regards.

I watched a documentary about him on discovery channel a a bit over a year ago. They showed time laps footage of him meditating for days without food or water and spoke to his brothers etc.

I think he is legitimate.

I mentioned him to my teacher and although he can't speak english or read english, he said that he was also aware of him too.

Last i heard, he left the meditation site because all the onlookers were causing him too much disturbance. He went further into the jungle to continue meditating. There were some reported sightings since, but they could not be verified.

To me, he is an inspiration.

"Between 5:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. nobody was allowed to see him, and a screen was erected for that purpose. Many people speculated that he ate and drank water during that time."

12 hours a day during which people just 'trust' that he isn't eating or drinking? Not to mention the fact that his handlers were more than happy to take donations. Perhaps he is legit, and they will start giving the money away to the poor, but more likely, he is just a kid trained by hucksters like so many a "master" in india and elsewhere that will display they "abilities" for "free" while accepting ridiculous donations from poor saps who lack education....

...but more likely, he is just a kid trained by hucksters like so many a "master" in india and elsewhere that will display they "abilities" for "free" while accepting ridiculous donations from poor saps who lack education....

You need have something more than mere training to endure extensive meditative practice. From the same source:

For example, George Saunders visited Bomjon and observed him for a single night, but was impressed by Bomjon's perfectly still stature even as the humidity brought sleepiness and mosquitoes.

Anyway this whole publicity thing is not a good sign.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

I can sympathize...I'd get annoyed by people ohhing and ahhing at me in meditation sooner or later too :lol:

If I were an onlooker I'd just be happy meditating in his presence.

"Ok, everybody, listen: I'm going to go off and sit in meditation for six years, nobody bother me. I'll be over there under that tree, but remember: leave me alone! Hear that, world? Excuse me, world? Have I got your attention yet? Ok, in case you missed it, I'll be over there sitting in meditation, so don't bother me, got it? Hmmm I don't know I better call up the BBC and tell them I'm a little boy who may be the next Buddha and that I'll be sitting in meditation for six years but whatever they do, they shouldn't bother me and make it difficult for me to meditate, ok?"

Seems like it would be pretty easy to go sit in the woods without attracting a media frenzy and not have a bunch of fucking gift shops sprout up around you.

Sign in to follow this