Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

The hero's journey

Would anyone like to give their own interpretation on the attached?

what is supernatural aid and threshold guardians? The mentor and the helper?FB_IMG_1570613715635.jpg.5812cd962e791f85f8b0588c210b18fc.jpg

Have you read the book this came from or did you just find the image alone? The book it originates from is quite clear.

• Like 1

Just now, idiot_stimpy said:

I just found the image. What book is it from?

“Hero with a Thousand Faces” by Joseph Campbell.

VERY important reading in the humanities field and historically relevant. I believe that his work is less known by people now for the 21st century, at least in west. It was often cited even in the 1990s and early 2000s by many fiction authors.

• Like 2

The hero's journey is the symbolic path of a recurring theme in multiple myths throughout the world. The underlying symbolic story is the same journey of the archetypical hero as he goes to adventure. Despite different cultures having no connection and even being on different continents the same pattern emerges through their story telling. The hero journeys to mythological worlds to retrieve the solution to his peoples problems. Most usually he brushes over the line of the living and the dead and walks through the afterlife, all after the elixer of life. Fire! Invention! Amrita! The Hero With a Thousand Faces is a really good book, Joseph Campbell has all sorts of examples in the book.

In my opinion, and in my experience, the path of Manhood is journeying through the abyss to find fire again. Some sort of light in the abyss. It gets quite dark out here in the coldest state but fire always seems to replenish, reinvigorate and give light to the mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its depicted in the tarot- indeed, its the main theme of that tool.  When you think about life, you can imagine that it is just birth, growth, learning and completion- but a hero is something different.  A hero is someone that has a quest for something, and its pretty easy to see that a quest requires a journey, and a confrontation, and a resolution (should the hero be successful).  

When applying this to the mystical, you have things like the underworld and spirits/gods.  In this particular diagram there is the theory that the hero is not infallible, having to realize their own imperfections and make atonement for them.  This is life;  we are never perfect in the eyes of the gods, though the highest height of our understanding of perfection led us on the quest, we have made our share of mistakes, especially in retrospect after having learned "the truth" from the journey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Coming of age. At some point one may come to the conclusion that growth is not possible. If you need someone else to grow you are not a hero on the hero's Journey. You are a secondary source, or lower. To walk this path is to go it alone. To leave behind the known and to enter the unknown and find true growth. To return with the elixir. The beginning of an internal journey is to learn to walk. Do you actually know where you've been? How many moments are passed over due to momentum. Learning to walk comes before a journey.

There is a specific method of speaking and thinking that is the occurrence of footfalls. I am talking about the base. The fundamental thought process occurring directly in tune with steps. There is space, eyesight, aim, and movement. This is respect. There are many people that claim path without even knowing the dialect of walking. The dialect of base consciousness. An example of how this sounds when done in a conversation contains an exact location in spatial reasoning and a vector forward. Something like "I am at the big tree looking NE and 15 yards forward is the large boulder." The answer would be something like "From my perspective the large boulder is surrounded by grass that is yellow". This is just an example and not actual reiteration of the conversations I had doing this from the past. It is essentially a method of scientifically exploring the inner landscape. Basically all movement actually has a thought and most of this is done within relative stillness. So first you are still and then in order to progress or explore you need to use a thought. The mind becomes a tool for using the body.

This is for those who do not know how to walk. A proper conversation. With each step forward is a concurrent thought. Please don't judge this writing by the weak example. There is no space between moments. This is done in the dark. I am attempting to point out the hero's journey is actually the path we must all take in order to be able to grow alone. This is building. Completion is walking the entire path alone and being larger for it.

Sign in to follow this