Bruce Qi

which version of 8 brocades?

I want to go back to basics and for the first time I am looking at 8 brocades , dammm man , so many versions ???

any recommendations on which one to do ?

There is a saying in Chinese that essentially translates to “small idea, big head” meaning that all the variations are generally good.

I know three variations and one from Xin Yi is for developing power via rewiring nerves while the one from Taijiquan is for developing Tai Chi skill. I no longer practice the third variation as the above two are already fantastic for martial and health application.

So depending on what you want you will get a baseline of benefits but each variation can potentially offer something unique.

• Like 2

I've learned a number of variations of the Ba Duan Jin over the years (from both live instructors and media), but my favorite one is shown in the book The Way of Energy by Master Lam Kam Chuen. A DVD of this version is also available from Shifu Susan Matthews. It has a movement that begins in a tree hugging posture, then the upper body turns towards the side and the hands rise and palms rotate out. This is repeated on alternating sides. The first time I did this, I felt energy rushing into my thoracic spine area. It really opened something up for me. As Earl notes above, the other versions I learned were all pretty good also.

• Like 1

thanks for the info guys , I have the way of energy book so will have a look into that , I also have the yang jwing ming versions of the standing and sitting and was also looking at the shaolin version on you tube

I did the one by Yan Lei for a while and while he's a very good martial artist, I'm not sure what he teaches is authentic internal shaolin work. And then, whether shaolin qigong itself is authentic. The exception is generally Heng Yi from the Shaolin Temple Europe, who teaches a very good 13 luohan rou quan, as well as learning some super traditional gulun stuff. Bit of a tangent there.

As far as BDJ I'd stick with Lam Kam Chuen. I know some students of his here in London and they speak very highly of him.

• Like 1