manitou

It is a Good Day to Die

I think it was Geronimo that said that.

I took the Casteneda books seriously some years back.  In the books, the nagual Mateus would tell Carlos that Death is your Advisor, repeatedly.

I never quite knew what that meant.  I took it to mean that we should cherish every day we have, but that didn't quite fit.  It wasn't until tonight when I was listening to a Robbie Robinson CD where he sang "it is a good day to Die"  (a great song, by the way) it struck me that it's about Courage.

I think I will use that as my mantra.  If one accustoms their mind and body to that phrase, then there is absolutely nothing left to fear, once the idea of death has been normalized.  I would think this would lead us into courageous living, whether physical, mental, or spiritual.

I think I understand it now.  It feels right.

• Like 7

Strangely, I have a watch that does that.  My Momento Mori watch from The Camden Watch co. https://www.camdenwatchcompany.com/collections/memento-mori/products/no-253-memento-mori-black

'..Our Memento Mori (translated as 'Remember you must die') special edition is based on a Victorian tradition and designed as a reminder that death is inevitable. Contrary to the morose name, it serves as an inspiration to live each day as it comes and not get caught up in the stress of daily life. Because to remember you must die is to remember you must live..'

• Like 3

“If a warrior is not unattached to life and death, he will be of no use whatsoever. The saying that “All abilities come from one mind” sounds as though it has to do with sentient matters, but it is in fact a matter of being unattached to life and death. With such non-attachment one can accomplish any feat.”

“If by setting one’s heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way.”

Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure: The Book of the Samurai
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

I think I remember this line in a movie called "Little Big Man" (Dustin Hoffman). 

Probably Geronimo watched the movie first

12 hours ago, thelerner said:

Strangely, I have a watch that does that.  My Momento Mori watch from The Camden Watch co. https://www.camdenwatchcompany.com/collections/memento-mori/products/no-253-memento-mori-black

'..Our Memento Mori (translated as 'Remember you must die') special edition is based on a Victorian tradition and designed as a reminder that death is inevitable. Contrary to the morose name, it serves as an inspiration to live each day as it comes and not get caught up in the stress of daily life. Because to remember you must die is to remember you must live..'

That is one great watch.  And I love the inscription on the back.  Certainly getting comfortable with the idea of death lessens fears of everything else.  How could it not?

:wub:It is a beautiful day to die!:wub:

Don't often talk about this one, it earns me blank stares, and drawback.

Though this is the place for it, if any... thank you for sharing this @manitou

It is a good day to die.  All days are...

On my birthday some years back, my gal and I went for a walk on the beach before breaking fasts.  We'd parked the car and were strolling up to the beach, across a driveway when a flutterby approached me, veritably introducing herself. 

I smiled, greeted her, opened my hand in front of me, chest high, near her.  She landed in my palm... and moments later, died.

It was a shatteringly potent moment for me, so simple.  So natural.  So beautiful.  I carried her body with me for several minutes and left her near the beach head for some bird's breakfast.

Death is love... pure as can be... Life is greedy, acquisitional, but decay, decay is giving, death is love.

Shortly after it occured to me that I'd been drawn to decay for some time.  Whether walking through the neighborhood, or at the beach.  My eyes drawn perpetually to focus on the decay, to the dead.  No specific reason why.  No thoughts in particular... until this one.

Life is acquisitional, it is always acquiring and imbibing and seeking that which it will take into itself. 

Death is giving, the utter giving back what has been acquired.  Decay is the act of ultimate giving.

Death is love... purest way I've experienced it.

Death is life.  All life, derives it's energy through the acquisition of life... be it vegetarian, carnivore, or omnivore. 

All life feeds on life and derives its vibrancy through the decay of life.

To realize this was akin to my experience of no longer seeing forms, but focusing on the space around the forms.

For some time wherever I went, while at that very spot on the beach, I'd been drawn to watch the decay and ceased staring at the ocean with its humpbacks and dolphins and waves.  I found myself perpetually seeking out the dry, brown dead stalks and the silver decaying ice plants (rich desert succulents with fat vibrant deep green leaves) that grow along the ridge line leading down to the beach proper.  As ice plants decay, their decaying parts turn a rather vibrant silvery color, and peak out in poignant contrast from the vibrant green of the live plants that sit atop them.  

Their silvery smooth decay shines more brightly for me than the vibrant, spongy, vital green leaves.  And from that moment i understood why... this realization was dawning in that time.  Seeping out to conscious local awareness through the depth of the wisdom of the body.

Death is the ultimate giving back, the beautiful unfolding with no holding back.

How much love is there!!!  It shames an unfolding flower!  Life is grabby, acquiring and greedy by its very nature.

Always imbibing and drawing into itself... whereas decay... such bouyant, unfolding of givingness.

I tell you, there is a longing in me now, since this realization rang that only the unfolding of death and decay will quench.

I've never had a fear of death, based on my earliest memory of this life; but now... now i anticipate her as a bridegroom awaiting the approach of his bride in their private chamber.  Longing for the embrace, not in a way that denies my livingness, nor hurries or that in any manner depreciates living, quite the opposite.  I anticipate her to bring me into wholeness. 

To finally become all of life wholly and completely as the ultimate expression of love unfolding, the completion of a cycle and the giving back of what i have held onto in the living part of the process.

Shatteringly beautiful.  No part is left untouched by this realization.

It is a good, beautiful day to die indeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7-10-2019 at 4:11 AM, manitou said:

I think it was Geronimo that said that.

I took the Casteneda books seriously some years back.  In the books, the nagual Mateus would tell Carlos that Death is your Advisor, repeatedly.

I never quite knew what that meant.  I took it to mean that we should cherish every day we have, but that didn't quite fit.  It wasn't until tonight when I was listening to a Robbie Robinson CD where he sang "it is a good day to Die"  (a great song, by the way) it struck me that it's about Courage.

I think I will use that as my mantra.  If one accustoms their mind and body to that phrase, then there is absolutely nothing left to fear, once the idea of death has been normalized.  I would think this would lead us into courageous living, whether physical, mental, or spiritual.

I think I understand it now.  It feels right.

There is no death, death is simply a misunderstanding. And a misunderstanding or self contradictory thought is the only thing that blocks you from allowing your natural and effortless self realisation of and with your own ever expanding greater non-physical consciousness. So the only courage you need is to feel the negative emotion that you feel when you think a self contradictory thought that is not compatible with your own true nature of evermore being and becoming here and now. And thus you can simply drop that idea, since it is simply a flawed premise. A not fully allowed to be fully realised thought. In full allowed harmony and alignment with your own greater non-physical consciousness. 

And as you release energetic contradictory or resistant thought patterns, you feel this as emotional relief, indicating you are closing the gap between your physical and your greater non-physical consciousness and so the more you flow your true nature and life force that is You, more fully and freely and effortlessly and joyously through you, and so the better you feel. And the more you flow your natural inspiration through you, as your fully allowed to be fully realised by you, thoughts, evermore here and now, NEW THOUGHTS evermore refreshing and new and fully allowed by you to be fully realised by you, joyous thoughts in full allowed harmony and alignment with your own ever expanding greater non-physical consciousness. 

So this idea "it is a good day to die" is simply pointing at someone who has come to realise that there is nothing wrong with death, more so most people misunderstand it, and so, you might aswell defy the misunderstanding and joyfully move on to all that is who it is you truely are being and becoming evermore fully allowed by you to be evermore fully and effortless and joyfully realised by you. Beyond these self-contradictory ideas which are simply not compatible with your true nature, thus not feeling good emotionally. 

So to understand, then when people feel bad, usually they don't kill themselves, they just end up letting the self contradictory idea they have, die. For this also happens when you literally suicide, you come to realise that your greater knowing has always been here and now for you, you just didn't allow yourself to realise it for yourself, because you was too busy flowing your greater knowing through yourself in contradiction with it/your self. And thus, you had no way of knowing. So you felt bad. But it was still just a self contradictory idea. So death is like the full allowed conscious realisation of all that you truely are being and becoming evermore here and now. And sleeping is the same, but less consciously. And sleeping and death simply does not include the lense physical extension, in your own greater knowing. So... You can sleep AND die, by simply meditating. And coming into alignment with and allowing your greater non-physical consciousness to flow more fully through you here and now, while you are in your physical body. For the joyous life experience that is you. 

And as to fear. It is simply a self contradictory idea that causes you to feel fear. But I do not recommend the idea of courage. For courage implies that you ignire your own valuable emotional guidance system. And no good can or will ever come out of that. For you need to release the self contradictory idea, that you have about something, to allow your own greater knowing of your greater non-physical consciousness about that something, so that you can joyfully come to realise all that that something truely is and means to you. You come to fully allow yourself to fully realise all of that, which you previously felt fear about, and so you joyfully co-create with it. As there is a fine line between adventure and fear. The emotions are way different. And the energy motional nature of fear is completely self contradictory. So rather then using courage, as in self contradictory ACTION. Use unconditional emotional alignment, feel the adventure, and then apply the inspired action, in fully harmony and alignment with your own greater non-physical consciousness. For the joyous life experience that is you. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, manitou said:

That is one great watch.  And I love the inscription on the back.  Certainly getting comfortable with the idea of death lessens fears of everything else.  How could it not?

For realising that death is a self contradictory idea, you break the only veil that has ever existed between you and your greater non-physical consciousness. Which is, simply, a self contradictory thought that you hold, here and now, that does not allow your natural and effortless full blown allowed realisation of your own greater knowing of your own greater non-physical consciousness. 

So that you can simply joyously move on with your life, in full harmony and alignment with your own greater non-physical consciousness. And flow your evermore joyously felt fully allowed by you to be fully realised by you truely inspired thought, uncontradicted thought, fully allowed by you to be fully realised by you thought, fully allowed by you to be fully flowed throughyou, true thoughts, in full harmony and alignment with your own greater knowing of your own own ever expanding evermore greater non-physical consciousness in full harmony and alignment with the ever expanding Source of All Creation. 

So from that point of view, you simply have unconditional love. Regardless of any and all conditions. Under any and all conditions. You allow yourself to come to realise all of these conditions fully for what they all truely are being and becoming evermore here and now, in fully harmony and alignment with the ever expanding Source of All Creation of infinite intelligence and eternal wisdom and unconditional love, evermore, here and now, for you, as you, with you, through you. 

Edited by Everything
  • Like 1

On 07.10.2019 at 5:11 AM, manitou said:

I took it to mean that we should cherish every day we have, but that didn't quite fit.  It wasn't until tonight when I was listening to a Robbie Robinson CD where he sang "it is a good day to Die"  (a great song, by the way) it struck me that it's about Courage.

Interesting topic.

Yes, sometimes I wonder how much time in life goes to waste.

Even ancient people spoke: "momento mori" !

• Like 1

The Vikings were a people of Fate.

You died on the day you would die and never before.

No amount of struggle would prevent it.

And no amount of folly would compel it prematurely.

They conveyed the notion of one's life to being in a river.

You can swim, you can wade, you can submerge, but you are in the river.

You can swim with the current, looking downstream trying to avoid obstacles, or you can strain and swim against the current and bump along while blindly looking back upstream.

You are still in the river.

The river will carry you, no matter what you do, or don't do along the course of the river.

you will flow with the river.  you and the river are one flow.

the river holds your fate and your fate is unavoidable.

This irks most folks who like the notion of great individual power being demostrated through the process of choice.

Causing them to reject it.  Understandable and fine.

But one of the main admirations and terrifying aspects of encountered Northmen and women (not Vikings, Viking is a term that is a verb, it means to 'go adventuring... Northmen went Viking, they weren't Vikings), anyway this fearlessness in the face of death of Northmen was their unnatural lack of fear of death.  Given to them through their mental relationship to this allegory of the River of Fate. 

This notion of fate, of the river that carries one along the path of life afforded them a freedom from fear that was admirable and enviable in some aspects. 

If it's my time to die, there's no escaping it, embrace it and 'ride the ride' to the Valkyrie's Embrace.

If it's not my time to die, there's no inducing it, live in freedom and 'ride the ride' to the fullest.

Life is relational... how we relate determines the qualities of our experience

The river is likened to the conditions of life, about which we have little, no control.  These aspects of life act upon us and carry us along in life.  We can twist and turn, 'make choices' within the flow of the conditions of life, the river, yet the banks of the river lie beyond our ken of perception and outside our modest sensual organs and methods of interaction and 'control'.

Death is not a savage denial of life.  But the full release back into Love.

Death is Love in its fullest sense, for me.

Life is an acquisitional, greedy process, always taking and imbibing and consuming.

Death, is the ultimate loving, giving all, returning to the sea, to source and unfoldingness in raw essence.

Death loves so much, she waits endlessly, patiently to allow the inevitable, unfolding, all encompassing embrace.

Pure bliss...

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've found another mental trick that seems to work.  I'm normally a bit socially timid.  Evasive, almost.

But when I am in a place of Self-Realization and I know who I really am, it's such a simple thing to mentally say "I've got enough love for you too" when involved with people.  Even if it's a total stranger - it just takes any sort of imaginary wall that's there and removes it.  I feel connected to that person, because we are all the same entity.  And it's also a nice reminder that the 'I' in that sentence isn't the wall of ego identity inside me, it's the true Being.  It seems to be a shortcut to staying in Consciousness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are not sure of sorrow,
         And joy was never sure;
To-day will die to-morrow;
         Time stoops to no man's lure;
And love, grown faint and fretful,
With lips but half regretful
Sighs, and with eyes forgetful
         Weeps that no loves endure.

From too much love of living,
         From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
         Whatever gods may be
That no life lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
         Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Then star nor sun shall waken,
         Nor any change of light:
Nor sound of waters shaken,
         Nor any sound or sight:
Nor wintry leaves nor vernal,
Nor days nor things diurnal;
Only the sleep eternal
         In an eternal night.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Nungali said:
We are not sure of sorrow,
         And joy was never sure;
To-day will die to-morrow;
         Time stoops to no man's lure;
And love, grown faint and fretful,
With lips but half regretful
Sighs, and with eyes forgetful
         Weeps that no loves endure.

From too much love of living,
         From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving
         Whatever gods may be
That no life lives for ever;
That dead men rise up never;
That even the weariest river
         Winds somewhere safe to sea.

Then star nor sun shall waken,
         Nor any change of light:
Nor sound of waters shaken,
         Nor any sound or sight:
Nor wintry leaves nor vernal,
Nor days nor things diurnal;
Only the sleep eternal
         In an eternal night.

The sleep eternal

In an eternal night

may well be consciousness

in a different light

• Like 1

Not for Swinburne , who wrote that ^

He was a reactionary against  Victorian (and latter )   religious  'resurrectional hopefullness'   ;

I kneel not neither adore you, but standing, look to the end.
All delicate days and pleasant, all spirits and sorrows are cast
Far out with the foam of the present that sweeps to the surf of the past:
Where beyond the extreme sea-wall, and between the remote sea-gates,
Waste water washes, and tall ships founder, and deep death waits:
Where, mighty with deepening sides, clad about with the seas as with wings,
And impelled of invisible tides, and fulfilled of unspeakable things,
White-eyed and poisonous-finned, shark-toothed and serpentine-curled,
Rolls, under the whitening wind of the future, the wave of the world.
The depths stand naked in sunder behind it, the storms flee away;
In the hollow before it the thunder is taken and snared as a prey;
Thou art more than the Gods who number the days of our temporal breath;
Let these give labour and slumber; but thou, Proserpina, death.
Therefore now at thy feet I abide for a season in silence. I know
I shall die as my fathers died, and sleep as they sleep; even so.
For the glass of the years is brittle wherein we gaze for a span;
A little soul for a little bears up this corpse which is man.
So long I endure, no longer; and laugh not again, neither weep.
For there is no God found stronger than death; and death is a sleep.

( some people found his writings on death a   ' little confronting'   ;)  )

... so we have two types

Those that fear not death and  believe in a life thereafter

and those that fear not death, with no belief in a life thereafter 

- two very different things , I'd say .  Those that can accept a 'nothingness' that gets 'reformed' somehow ,

and those that accept an 'absolute nothingness' .

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

... so we have two types

- two very different things , I'd say .  Those that can accept a 'nothingness' that gets 'reformed' somehow ,

Have you ever gotten to that place in meditation that can truly be described as absolute nothingness?  It's a rather scary place.  It put me into a bit of a panic and I had to come home real fast.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nungali said:

... so we have two types

There is no non-existance, as it doesn't exist. So simply let those who do not believe, realise it naturally for themselves, however they will, they will, even if they wait untill they die before they allow themselves to realise all that they truely are being and becoming evermore here and now, naturally, effortlessly and joyously, unconditionally worthy. 

So again, this nothingness is simply non-physical pure positive energy consciousness, as your ever expanding greater non-physical consciousness evermore here and now for you of which you are an inseperable extension of it evermore here and now, as you can feel your alignment with all of that aspect of you always emotionally, which indicate your here and now alignment with it or less, all the way to the ever expanding Source of All Creation, of infinite intelligence, eternal wisdom and unconditional love. AND THE EVER ABOUNDING STREAM OF WELL BEING THAT IS BASIS OF THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE 

So it EXIST! IT IS REAL AND YOU ARE INSEPERABLE FROM IT EVERMORE BEING AND BECOMING EVERMORE HERE AND NOW. And you feel your allowed realisation of it in the here and now moment evermore ongoingly, through your emotional guidance system, as joy or bliss or whatever you call those good feeling positive emotions that indicate your here and now full allowed alignment and harmony with your own greater non-physical consciousness. 

And all you gotta do to allow this full blown realised connection, is you just gotta let go of self contradictory thoughts that you keep thinking that doesn't allow it. And so meditation is the path of least resistance to your full blown allowed realisation of your true natural path of least resistance of joy of your own unconditional worthiness evermore here and now. 

6 hours ago, manitou said:

Have you ever gotten to that place in meditation that can truly be described as absolute nothingness?  It's a rather scary place.  It put me into a bit of a panic and I had to come home real fast.

And so this is a self contradictory thought, and you feel your emotional guidance system indicating it is so, and so this is indicating your here and now lesser allowed realisation. LOVE THIS EMOTIONAL GUIDANCE SYSTEM. For then you will realise you can always feel better emotionally very easily by simply letting go of that thought which doesn't harmonize with your greater knowing. And then you will effortlessly allow your realisation of any and all things that you can ever want to be do or have! Even your full blown realisation of what that nothingness truely means, which is simply a mistranslation of the true foundational core essence non-physical Source Energy of all that which we are! Pure positive energy ever expanding being and becoming evermore here and now, fully with us! Through us. As us. For us! The energy which creates worlds. You cannot see it. But you can FEEL YOUR WAY emotionally to your allowed realisation of all of it under any and all conditions, always unconditionally, emotionally, energy motional allowed alignment with your own ever expanding greater non-physical consciousness. The eternal ever abounding stream of well-being of all that which exists. As you are evermore unconditionally, under any and all conditions worthy of all of it, an inseperable extension of all of it evermore ongoingly here and now, capable by you to be realised by you. 

So you cannot ever become disconnected from it, but you can think thoughts that don't allow your connection, lessens your connection and your natural allowed conscious realisation of all of it, which then cause you to feel negtlative emotion. So never be afraid, because you got fear, to remind you that you can never be disconnected, so to also then let go of that idea which doesn't allow your connection, and poof! Back to full joyous allowed conscious realisation evermore you go here and now. 

So again, the fear is just indicating a self contradictory thought, a lesser allowed conscious realisation, a not fully allowed to come to full realisation thought, a better feeling thought a very good feeling thought. A pure thought fully allowed by you to be fully realised thought. In full harmony and alignment with your ever expanding greater non-physical consciousness all the way to the ever expanding Source of All Creation, of infinite intelligence and eternal wisdom and unconditional love.

Edited by Everything