Good day guys. Jun Yu Xian again for another beginner's inquery.

Please suggest a diet that could help me in cultivation and also would help me make my body fit.

Note that I am not neglecting workout. I just want to want to eat something healthy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

Good day guys. Jun Yu Xian again for another beginner's inquery.

Please suggest a diet that could help me in cultivation and also would help me make my body fit.

Note that I am not neglecting workout. I just want to want to eat something healthy. 

Oh boy!  With this question you`re really opening the proverbial can of tuna.  Opinions on diet here on the forum range as widely as in the so-called real world.  You`re sure to hear from the vegetarian/vegan crowd.  I favor a more paleo-esque approach myself -- eliminating grains, sugar, and vegetable oils like corn and canola.  I believe fatty meat is a nutrient-dense food that most people need and not the culinary bogeyman it`s often made out to be. There`s good information about this approach here: https://marksdailyapple.com/blog/.

@Taomeow recently suggested the idea of simply eating foods made by human beings and avoiding foods made by corporations.  I think most people would drastically improve their diets by following this one rule -- whether they otherwise gravitate toward tomatoes or rib-eyes.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

Well I am a protein/fatty food guy. I barely eat veg, but if it is ideal then I would eat.

If you don’t eat vegs, then maybe you could have herbal teas daily since it’s easier to get the nutrients the same way. Are you buy chance a tea person?

Edited by Ancestor Paul
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

@Taomeow recently suggested the idea of simply eating foods made by human beings and avoiding foods made by corporations.  I think most people would drastically improve their diets by following this one rule -- whether they otherwise gravitate toward tomatoes or rib-eyes.

This is also important as today food are produced with heavy chemicals and stored with chemical preservatives that are not meant to be in our bodies. Eating organic or from local markets might be the best. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2019 at 6:28 AM, Ancestor Paul said:

If you don’t eat vegs, then maybe you could have herbal teas daily since it’s easier to get the nutrients the same way. Are you buy chance a tea person?

yes I am, but mostly I could only afford lipton tea bags which is a commercial brand. I am even planning to cultivate my own tea leaves.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

yes I am, but mostly I could only afford lipton tea bags which is a commercial brand. I am even planning to cultivate my own tea leaves.

Lipton is one of the worst brands out there as it is full of pesticides.

As you are also in the Philippines if you are in Manila there is an organic group called Shumei selling moringa and mulberry tea for prices less than what you claim are beyond your price range. If you’re here I will personally show you myself because it is ridiculous to let income determine one’s Taoist commitment. Paying for things is one form of demonstrating commitment as I mentioned in your other thread.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

Do stay away from Lipton, cultivating your own tea is perfect and even the best. I collect soursop leaves from a friend and make my own tea.

• Like 1

5da39b633366e_images(5).jpeg.8bd9646e5a340e069f060408de0b0fa5.jpegSo my mom bought this tea (Twinings Wild Berry), guys. Is it good? I tasted it, the taste is high tier and theres no acidic after taste like lipton, but it has lesser spirit than my fav tea (not lipton, but something written in chinese.)

Below is the chinese green tea (my fav).

20191014_053218_resize_3.jpg

5 hours ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

5da39b633366e_images(5).jpeg.8bd9646e5a340e069f060408de0b0fa5.jpegSo my mom bought this tea (Twinings Wild Berry), guys. Is it good? I tasted it, the taste is high tier and theres no acidic after taste like lipton, but it has lesser spirit than my fav tea (not lipton, but something written in chinese.)

Below is the chinese green tea (my fav).

20191014_053218_resize_3.jpg

Twinnings has its own issues with the tea estates in Sri Lanka but is slightly better than Lipton. As for the teabag you have, this is dragon well green tea.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Twinnings has its own issues with the tea estates in Sri Lanka but is slightly better than Lipton. As for the teabag you have, this is dragon well green tea.

Senior Grey, dragon well green tea? Is that the name of the tea I am holding on the latter pic?

1 hour ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

Senior Grey, dragon well green tea? Is that the name of the tea I am holding on the latter pic?

it is the kind of tea and many brands like Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and Starbucks also sell it so it’s quite accessible but the right brand is the issue to focus on here.

• Like 1

Look into high mountain Jiaogulan/Gynostemma teas. There are growers throughout Asia/China that have been passing down the tradition for many generations.  I have been drinking it for over forty years now.  Very healthy and very tasty.  I have my own private source but, I have been told that Immortalitea is a good accessible brand.

BTW, it is a sweet green tea, if you get any bitter taste, you have brewed it too long.

Edited by moment
  • Like 3

On 10/15/2019 at 3:34 AM, moment said:

Look into high mountain Jiaogulan/Gynostemma teas. There are growers throughout Asia/China that have been passing down the tradition for many generations.  I have been drinking it for over forty years now.  Very healthy and very tasty.  I have my own private source but, I have been told that Immortalitea is a good accessible brand.

BTW, it is a sweet green tea, if you get any bitter taste, you have brewed it too long.

I adore this tea!  Drinking Gynostemma is like drinking pure liquid light.

• Thanks 1

I am not much of an expert but, by my understanding of diet practices relating to the dao can be summed up in two words, it depends.

Seasons, your body, how much sleep you have had, stress, etc all play a role in what is right for you. 
P.S. I am reiterating other suggestions for the jiaogulan tea. I miss it when I travel for work because I have not found a bagged version that I like and I carry around too much stuff to tote around a tea kit I will eventually lose.

Whispers in ear.. plastics I mean soup.  Learn to make soup.  Great way to use veggies.  For cheap healthy meals nothing beats soup.  Protein, veggies, broth.. heat up..done.  Lately I'm playing with Blender soups.  Veggie.. broth.. starchy veggie blend til pulverized and then heat and eat at your leisure.  Very healthy.  Great for people who don't like vegetables.

Bouillon can make for very cheap broth.  So can Miso. 

Healthy food begins with healthy cooking.  Start looking at recipes and cook some. If its not loaded with sugars and simple starches or cyanide, its probably pretty healthy. 

During the winter its Genmai tea for me.  Green tea with puffed rice, filling and a little sweet. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Have you checked out the blood type diet?

i found it was very aligned to my natural tendencies.  

Other than that, what are your goals and outcomes regarding this?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dawei said:

Have you checked out the blood type diet?

i found it was very aligned to my natural tendencies.  

Other than that, what are your goals and outcomes regarding this?

I'm compelled to chime in on the blood type diet. 

My wife picked up a book about it years and years ago.  I was highly skeptical when she described it to me.  I read the book in spite of my skepticism, was subsequently impressed by what I read and tried it out.  Turns out it was very beneficial to me and I incorporated it into my regular diet.  Now I highly recommend it. 

Love how that works out sometimes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I'm compelled to chime in on the blood type diet. 

My wife picked up a book about it years and years ago.  I was highly skeptical when she described it to me.  I read the book in spite of my skepticism, was subsequently impressed by what I read and tried it out.  Turns out it was very beneficial to me and I incorporated it into my regular diet.  Now I highly recommend it. 

Love how that works out sometimes.

When I first read it, I was immediately intrigued by the idea; so it was more curiosity to see what it might say.   I was rather shocked to see how I felt like I was reading my own eating habits that I had already established.  I had made some major shifts in my eating around that time and found that they were in a direction the book would recommend.  So it was really good confirmation. 

I recommend folks read it and take from it what you agree with... or whatever.   It's informative at a minimum.

A very quick overview for anyone interested:

https://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/blood-type-diet

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 8:17 AM, thelerner said:

Protein, veggies, broth.. heat up..done.  Lately I'm playing with Blender soups.  Veggie.. broth.. starchy veggie blend til pulverized and then heat and eat at your leisure.  Very healthy.  Great for people who don't like vegetables.

is there a certain temprature one should not exceed, my brain has retained information about the cells in vegetables exploding and losing their nutrients after a certain temprature (around 60 degrees celcius(140f)). this is a little in relation to a raw vegan diet. would this also apply to herbs? 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this