Symph

I feel like such a noob!

So I love many Taoist scriptures I've read, mainly the Tao Te Ching is what I'm familiar with.  I can wrap my head around illustrations of how to flow like water, being non attached to outcomes, how a good leader leads by following and serving, and much of these concepts hit me hard and inspire me.  And while this may be kind of... embarrassing I probably was most inspired by the Tao of Pooh book.  That whole book made wonderful sense to me.  

I came here wanting to go further with my learning and application of these principles, but this forum makes me feel like I have such a baby understanding of Taoism and what it even is!  I've tried reading quite a few threads in the DaoDeJing section and a few others, and the articles and writings feel waaaay over my head.  I can't make heads or tales of what's being said, so many seeming paradoxes, or statements that appear non sensical (no doubt to shake one out of the intellect or something) but just...  I really feel lost.  Can anyone recommend a good starting point for someone who is finding all this a bit too metaphysical and complex to digest?  Any books that will help break me into the deeper levels of understanding?  

I really do want to dive deeper I just feel like I've gone from the kiddie pool to being thrown in the ocean lol  

Classical Taoist writing isn´t my thing so no literature recommendations from me.  I would like to say though, that if you feel like a noob, well, you must be doing something right.  Noobs are famous for "having their cup empty" -- being ready and open to learn.  That´s so much better than being a cup-full expert.  Also, noobs tend towards humility, to my mind the most Taoist of the virtues.  

So...if you´re a noob and you know it clap your hands.  You deserve the applause.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

Classical Taoist writing isn´t my thing so no literature recommendations from me.  I would like to say though, that if you feel like a noob, well, you must be doing something right.  Noobs are famous for "having their cup empty" -- being ready and open to learn.  That´s so much better than being a cup-full expert.  Also, noobs tend towards humility, to my mind the most Taoist of the virtues.  

So...if you´re a noob and you know it clap your hands.  You deserve the applause.

Well thanks @liminal_luke I may feel like a noob but at least I feel like a welcome one :)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, OverseerFeatheredImmortal said:

That is what a taoist should be. A noob. The challenge is how to remain a noob with multitudes of knowledge hurled at you.

If having tons of knowledge go straight over my head and make absolutely no sense to me is how a taoist should be?  Then I'm killing it.... B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2