Sign in to follow this  
Jim D.

Emptiness can conserve energy

We recycle here. One day I decided to see what would happen if I used the emptiness of a recycled can as a home for another can that would fit right inside it. This process continued for a week until recycle day. The outcome of this philosophical experiment was that I ended up pulling only one recycle bin out to the curb rather than two. JD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An emptied Mind ,if we can consolidate One , together with the external emptiness , are  in fact two faces of the same coin : Tao .

However, it is only after our having the ability of  bringing up such a Mind,  can we understand the emptiness outside  ,  tap  the energy from  it . As  emptiness is everywhere without limitation , so energy from it  is endless, which  is also the reason why having attained such a Mind implies forever physical  life ( Taoist interpretation , not Buddhist ) .

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my example of conservation of energy, I am referring to my feeble attempt at trying to economize on the amount of recycle I take to the curb. I thought that if I use the spaces created by the objects e.g. empty cans and spaces between the cans and boxes it may work to my benefit. Like trying to carry water with my hand, I can just fill up a bucket and carry more. The bucket becomes a bucket when it is filled up with something. I thought of Wu Wei at the time. 

• Like 2

Some verses that come to mind here..

The simple practice of clearing out space within our being, allows higher virtues to flow in naturally.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:59 AM, exorcist_1699 said:

As  emptiness is everywhere without limitation , so energy inside it  is endless ... 

Modern physics is still grappling with the concept that empty space is capable of exerting gravitational forces. Dubbed "dark matter/energy" only because it does not absorb or emit light, this "vacuum density" has presented itself as a major observable component of the universe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nintendao said:

The simple practice of clearing out space within our being, allows higher virtues to flow in naturally.

The 12 Steps of AA talks about this concept in their 4th Step..."Made a searching and fearless moral..."It takes a lot of energy to cover up character defects. When they are being managed, then the ability to behave morally surfaces. We find that we have answers to different circumstances that previously were baffling and overpowering. It is my opinion, that these "virtues" are inherent within the human being. 

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 2:48 AM, Nintendao said:

Modern physics is still grappling with the concept that empty space is capable of exerting gravitational forces. Dubbed "dark matter/energy" only because it does not absorb or emit light, this "vacuum density" has presented itself as a major observable component of the universe.

Maybe we can set up a device to explore the character of emptiness, this likely is what those physicists are doing, but it will be  something very big , expensive and involved a team of people . I think, to an individual ,  we can  explore and tap emptiness through our mind , or more precisely speaking , through our emptied Mind . It is said that " 同類易施工兮,非種難為巧"( from Can Tong Qi)  (" Because they are the same kind, it can easily be done; otherwise , it can not be so effective  ")  

Edited by exorcist_1699
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this