Sign in to follow this  
Creation

Messenger feature driving me up the wall

Good day all and sundry,

I wondered if anyone might have suggestions for the following problem:

When composing a new message, a window hovering over the tab you already had open appears, and if you accidentally click outside this window, the message you had been composing vanishes!  I have deleted two messages that I had been composing for >20 minutes this way and am quite frustrated.  There also does not appear to be a way to save a draft to prevent this, even though there is still a "Drafts" folder that you can access.

Thanks.

What messenger and where is such a draft folder?    Is this for this site or something like FB ?

A screen capture might help too. 

The personal messaging function on this forum, though the interface is clearly based on facebook's personal messager interface in a browser.  If you click the messenger icon in the top right and click compose new, or if you click "Go to Inbox" and then click compose new on the subsequent page, it brings up the same window that can be accidentally clicked out of, deleting your message.  The drafts folder can be accessed after clicking go go inbox, and then clicking "Inbox" in the top left corner (under the banner) and selecting "Drafts", but as I said it is not clear how one would save a draft.

EDIT: I should add I am using a browser, not a phone.  I often forget that almost everyone is browsing on their phone.

Edited by Creation

Hey Creation... thanks for the details... that helped me to reproduce the issue.  I was kind of stuck on your use of "messenger" as most folks here will call it a PM (Personal Message) but I did see at the bottom, if one goes to "go to inbox" then at the bottom is a link to "disable my messenger".      For reference, again, most here will simply call this area the PM.

Ok, I am able to repeat your issue and like it a back-end settting that @Sean would need to see if 'draft' is set to save or not.

But I found a work-around  :)

Wherever you see COMPOSE NEW... whether from Messages or Inbox...

Right Click and open in a new tab.  

This will then never lose focus on the message.

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, dawei said:

Ok, I am able to repeat your issue and like it a back-end settting that @Sean would need to see if 'draft' is set to save or not.

Couldn't find anything re: PM drafts unfortunately. Surprising, since there are post drafts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sean

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sean said:

Couldn't find anything re: PM drafts unfortunately. Surprising, since there are post drafts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sean

I end up with saved drafts in PM sometimes. I checked again last night when I wrote a sentence fragment to Dawei and left before sending it. And now, if I go back to the conversation, and hit reply it autopopulates. It may only work with a "conversation" already in progress though..

10 hours ago, ilumairen said:

I end up with saved drafts in PM sometimes. I checked again last night when I wrote a sentence fragment to Dawei and left before sending it. And now, if I go back to the conversation, and hit reply it autopopulates. It may only work with a "conversation" already in progress though..

I have yet to see a draft but can confirm what you wrote... an existing PM appears to keep the last edit if you close out.  It populates again once you go back to the box.  More thoughts:

1. If you inbetween clear your cache, I will guess that auto-populate will not occur

2. I've seen this happen on the main board too.   I start something, then decide forgetaboutit and click somewhere else.  If I ever come back to that box (without clearing cache) my old edit shows up.

3. I suspect it cannot do it for a new PM because nothing is really saved yet to keep the cache associated to something.

Good sleuthing :)

On 9/30/2019 at 9:32 PM, dawei said:

Wherever you see COMPOSE NEW... whether from Messages or Inbox...

Right Click and open in a new tab.  

This will then never lose focus on the message.

Just the kind of protip I was hoping for.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this