Sebastian

Hun & Po as they relate to Natural Meditation

Hey Guys,

Help me understand these qualities, and how they relate to spiritual development. In another thread someone quoted the wonderful member "Dao Zhen" as saying that the "hun gets strengthened" through practice - what does that mean exactly ?

When I write natural meditation, I mean a form of meditation were you marry the body and the mind without doing anything. So more like wu-wei meditation, not sitting practice. Although I'm also interested in the effects of any kind of 'active meditation' on these groups of spirits, and how they might relate to spiritual development, just to gain a better understanding.

One famous Master & writer in the West writes poetically that the marriage (or intercourse he says) of the mind and body gives birth to spirits. From his view-point, natural meditation gives birth to new spiritual lives inside of you. He also writes that you become pregnant with them, and you can communicate with them. Perhaps these new spirits end up into your hun ?

It's a bit esoteric, and I'm no Taoist expert, so thanks for explaining your experiences or thoughts about hun and po to me. For example, does strengthening hun mean adding new spirits to it ? Or just strengthening the energy. The Master's personal experience was that hun and po are actually "groups" of spirits, or collections of entities, which is interesting, but way above my pay-grade...

Thanks all

Seb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

IME po gives good positive mind. It is an earthly aspect that creates physical order (at least from the observers perspective). #

Hun is the ability to see your mind. It is your natural luminiscence of the mind. It survives forever, even after your heart leaves it alone. So it is able to see its acitivity forever, always creating new impressions without being an impression itself, always watching without experiencing one pointned any one of its caused phenomena.

Strenghtening hun increases your morals and own reflection of your own impressions. Strenghtening po increases your ability to analyse.

• Like 2

On September 14, 2019 at 2:30 AM, Sebastian said:

Hey Guys,

Help me understand these qualities, and how they relate to spiritual development. In another thread someone quoted the wonderful member "Dao Zhen" as saying that the "hun gets strengthened" through practice - what does that mean exactly ?

When I write natural meditation, I mean a form of meditation were you marry the body and the mind without doing anything. So more like wu-wei meditation, not sitting practice. Although I'm also interested in the effects of any kind of 'active meditation' on these groups of spirits, and how they might relate to spiritual development, just to gain a better understanding.

One famous Master & writer in the West writes poetically that the marriage (or intercourse he says) of the mind and body gives birth to spirits. From his view-point, natural meditation gives birth to new spiritual lives inside of you. He also writes that you become pregnant with them, and you can communicate with them. Perhaps these new spirits end up into your hun ?

It's a bit esoteric, and I'm no Taoist expert, so thanks for explaining your experiences or thoughts about hun and po to me. For example, does strengthening hun mean adding new spirits to it ? Or just strengthening the energy. The Master's personal experience was that hun and po are actually "groups" of spirits, or collections of entities, which is interesting, but way above my pay-grade...

Thanks all

Seb

This is actually a very broad and in-depth question you are asking; more than we can get into over a forum post.

To give a concise introductory synopsis, the Yuan Shen “Original Spirit”, also known as the “Great Shen” (‘shen’ can be translated to mean consciousness, awareness, or spirit) manifests as five different aspects of consciousness through the yin organs of your body. It’s anatomical relationships are:

-Liver houses the shen Hun 

-Heart houses the shen Shen

-Spleen houses the shen Yi

-Lung houses the shen Po

-Kidney houses the shen Zhi

Though you may prefer one meditative form over another, ultimately, when your meditation becomes realized, all living is a meditation through which effortless action will flow forth. The intercourse of consciousness to form is the totality of awareness pervading every level of your system, from the subtle to the coarse. The greater this penetration, the more realized the being.

To strengthen a spirit, one does not add substance to it. Rather, one purifies it. This purification allows for it to connect to its origin of substance: physiologically, these are pools of energy that traverse throughout the body in the form of meridians and into the universe through what are known as ‘Source Points’ along those meridian channels. Pure consciousness, or pure spirit is powerful beyond the human mass: so to have greater consciousness is to have greater strength of spirit.

At some point, through deep cultivation and meditation, it is possible to connect to the organ spirits directly and affect their processes consciously. This communication is not of mind or language, but rather facilitated through forms of energy, light and awareness- all of which are similarly interrelated dynamics of state. To note, the usage of the terms “energy, light and awareness” are not an unrooted, disembodied new-age-feel-good-idea, rather these are tangible substances of force that can be directed through intentful awareness at minor levels through such things a needling and acupuncture, to more substantive directed movements like in the external arts, to much deeper things such as the internal arts, medical qi gong, meditative transmission and more.

Although there are many other things called ‘spirits’ in the universe (aka- disembodied beings), the term spirit here is meant as ‘shen’ of the physiological and meta-physiological body. More spirits of the system are not created in this particular case- as that moves away from Source, rather the existing ones are refined, cultivated and transmuted into their original nature as Yuan Shen, so they are rarified until they are unified… less is more. :)

As for each of the “little shens”, each one has a different quality of emanation and function both physiologically in the corporeal body and spiritually in the essences of the universe. When one cultivates their spirit, they do so not only within form but beyond form. When this cultivation of insight and realization is deep enough, indeed, a new birth occurs: it is known as the Immortal Fetus and it is the beginning of a transformational journey of the human into the transcendent.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

On 10/31/2019 at 4:53 AM, Small Fur said:

To strengthen a spirit, one does not add substance to it. Rather, one purifies it. This purification allows for it to connect to its origin of substance: physiologically, these are pools of energy that traverse throughout the body in the form of meridians and into the universe through what are known as ‘Source Points’ along those meridian channels. Pure consciousness, or pure spirit is powerful beyond the human mass: so to have greater consciousness is to have greater strength of spirit.

What you're saying here is very interesting, could you please elaborate about this relation between the Acupuncture Points and the Universe?

• Like 1

On November 3, 2019 at 7:45 AM, KuroShiro said:
On October 30, 2019 at 9:53 PM, Small Fur said:

On November 3, 2019 at 7:45 AM, KuroShiro said:

What you're saying here is very interesting, could you please elaborate about this relation between the Acupuncture Points and the Universe?

In order to understand the following in context, it is first important to have a foundation in Taoist medical knowledge. In order to understand it deeply, then it is important to have meditated enough to have developed the insight necessary to witness and discern the (meta) physics of the subtle anatomy of the human system. 

Without these two things, it is easy when reading about any Taoist alchemy (as well as the following below), to consider it as some kind of disembodied and entirely ethereal manifestation, and thus believe it to be something nearing mythic proportions or ascribe to it an obscuring amount of romanticism.  In reality and fact, when seen clearly at a subtle level, energy systems are concretely discernible forms relative to the seeming emptiness of the universe and they can be organized into sophisticated structures and applied systems. This is why acupuncture works. This is why tai chi, qi gong, nei gong, and all the other manifestations spoken of in Taoism are much more profound than merely a theoretical or philosophical posit. That said, realizing distinction in the ascertainable nature of the seemingly subtle and profound in no way makes it less sacred or majestic when experienced in a sincere and deeply benevolent individual.

The short answer is that the meridian networks of the body are derived from the primordial essence prior to the heavens and also the celestial systems of the (post) heavens, from which they then manifest on the physiological level- initially through the spirit of the yin organs of the body. The points themselves are actually both formed and shifting portal systems that can be seen, and they traverse time, space and dimension. In this way they are very similar to chakras, though smaller in dimension and their control functions- though not entirely dissimilar, are also quiet different. Thus, the various locale of the points on the body give access to certain geographic dimensions of the universe. 

In Chinese medicine, many of these points are classed in to categories. In the case of Source Points, they are distributed across the channels of the body on to either the wrists or the ankles, and all connect back the Yuan Jing (Original Essence) of the universe. However by the time these portals open onto the animal body (ie. humans, cats, dogs, horses, etc), they form small pools distinct to the spirit and organ of their associated stream. Each meridian has one Source Point- hence there are twelve, and each of those points contain access to the original, pure state of energetic essence. 

However, the potential to access  these pools deeply cannot be apart from the quality of Consciousness in the practitioner as well as the level of health and Consciousness in the receiving patient. There are many ways to access these points that are equally or more greatly profound than needling, but this depends on the level of skill and Consciousness of the individual and methods involved; that said, even without much awareness or understanding by the individuals involved, needles themselves can still act substantively as a conduit for transmission- the effectiveness of it done at this level being best facilitated through integrity and intent, since there would be a lack of insight and wisdom to ground and infuse the treatment. In general, Source Points can be powerful connections to one’s principal health and I find their simplicity very powerful to restoring the system, especially to clarify the treatment of complex conditions; they are also very beneficial in cases of chronic diseases. Remember too, that disease occurs in more than just the gross body, so one can treat many layers of dimensions of a person and through a person using these and other access points.

While one learns many categories of points as a modern practitioner in Chinese medicine, some of the information contained herein is not taught in part because of the historical and political progression of the medicine from ancient times to modern scientific Westernization, and even more deeply so because the knowledge is largely lost except to a rare few who have meditated deeply enough to develop such witness; it is from both of these understandings that I personally share this with you. I will mention that I think even more importantly than knowing the acupuncture points as portals, is the understanding of how they relate to treatment, health and ultimately Consciousness… the latter an issue which is often not recognized and also deeply misunderstood in modern practitioners. 

I rarely add a second response to any thread on the forum, so I hope that in this case the little bit of insight is useful. 

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4