Nungali

INFERNO !

Canadian company plane - the three crew  killed where from USA,  over here helping us .     :( 

Something sus about that plane !  Two others have gone down before , one had its wing break off . They have all been grounded now .

A pity they where not grounded before this happened !  What a fuck up ! 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-23/large-air-tanker-c-130-water-bomber-crash-cooma/11894892

Edited by Nungali
  • Sad 1

I had been waiting for this to stop , to post that it had stopped .  But it didnt .    Fire danger stopped locally with the heavier  rain that was predicted for February . It has continued in Victoria , then round Canberra . Those areas now appear to have rain .

I would say the major disaster is over  now  .

As of Jan 31st ;  ' At least 33 people have been killed - including four firefighters - and more ... than 2,000 houses lost ' ,  2,000,000 ha burned in more than 7000 fires. 

And now of course, my area is in the news as we are flooded in and 'all major evacuation routes may be flooded    '  :D 

(  Topsoil erosion and charcoal make the now raging river seem  deep chocolate colour ..... with watermelons -  we saw that yesterday;   a mob of locals hanging out at our side of the impassable flooded bridge , all of  sudden watermelons are coming downstream , someone must have lost their patch . )

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Yesterday I went for a drive into some of the fire damaged areas .    Ebor falls ; the fire was so intense it caused a landslide under the lookout ,  which isnt there any more .   Further along 'Waterfall Way' towards Armidale, fire was on both sides of the road. I was surprised at the amount of rocky ground , I suppose a lot of the ground cover and even soil was burnt  off, and we have had a lot f rain since .  Most trees have started regrowth, yet look strange ; tall black poles with no crowns and green vegetation sprouting out the trunks . The tree shapes over 1000s of hectres have changed  - for many generations to come, people will be seeing the impact of the fires in the trees .

It was very eerie driving through the bare ground, blackened  sprouting trunks in the drizzle and grey mist .  Returning back,  I came to the other side of the Armidale Rd where I was stopped by fire when returning from Yueya's place about  3 months ago and they had a sign up 'Road closed to Armidale '   . I am supposing its still closed from this fire  months ago ?    Its open to local traffic   though, so I am wondering why its closed ? -  Yueya  ? 

Happier news is ,  after the last lot of heavy rain and a few days rest, the river here cleared enough for a swim . Its great to see the river up,  racing and flowing fresh and bubbling and relatively clear  - and wonderful to be in again .  Then the rain came back, and hasnt stopped  -  I might even be flooded in again .

e21258c3b1007914ea9f288b84282826--phoeni     bush_fire_rewgrowth.jpg     BushfireRegen.jpg?itok=rctfS2jX

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Returning back,  I came to the other side of the Armidale Rd where I was stopped by fire when returning from Yueya's place about  3 months ago and they had a sign up 'Road closed to Armidale '   . I am supposing its still closed from this fire  months ago ?    Its open to local traffic   though, so I am wondering why its closed ? -  Yueya  ? 

Although that road is nearby. I haven't needed to go that way so I can only relay what I've heard. It was closed for a couple of months after the fire because some of the small bridges were burnt out. They made temporary bypasses and got the road open again in January. Then the flooding caused by the massive February rains knocked out those temporary bypasses. (In Nymboida we had well over 600mm of rain in Feb, more than 100mm greater than the previous Feb record set in 1928. Total so far this year is about 850mm. By way of comparison in 2019 the year's total rainfall was 450mm, the driest year since 1915.)

I've been flooded in on a few occasions for several days at a time this last month with Oakey Creek down the road a raging torrent across the causeway.  A neighbour who lost his house in the November fire managed to get his expensive and uninsured Jeep swept away trying to cross it in full flood a few weeks ago. Fortunately he and his wife got out OK but the car is a write-off from water damage. 

The forest is looking very green here too but in that strange way you describe. Plenty of ground cover and growth down low but little  up top.  Some tree species have proved very fire resilient, not os others. I have hundreds of dead trees on my place, including some of my favourites.  Much learning for me about detachment and letting nature take its own course from experiencing these extreme events.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No words my friends...

I can’t express my feelings any more than has been done

On 1/23/2020 at 8:56 AM, silent thunder said:

Oh fuck...

I send you my love and prayers...

🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am planning a trip  south soon . I was talking to my friend who I am going to visit and I said I will have to come there in the thin corridor between   fire and flood . Well, I missed that and got flooded in.  So I gotta scoot now between the next imminent flood and any craziER development  of the NEXT  thing   -   Coronovirus panic !    ARRRRGGGG ! 

rI was thinking of a title foe another thread to follow Inferno , Deluge,    I thought 'Pestilence'  .... no  ...  

' Contagion !   '  Thats it !   -    And my friend said I will have to try and make it back before the plague of locusts  .  :D

THAT is the Pestilence .

So they will go ;  Inferno, Deluge, Contagion, Pestilence    ...... 

Edited by Nungali

Some travelling musicians are in the process of making a video of how the community where I live is recovering from the massive November 2019 forest fire. Here’s the preview clip they’ve made about their project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kxt2cczgWY

Watching it brought tears to my eyes. People here have lost so much yet our sense of community remains strong. 

I wrote this post earlier on this thread in the immediate aftermath of the fire. At that stage I wasn’t aware of the full extent of property loss in the area. The devastation was much worse than I realised then; I even understated the number of houses lost along the road I live on. A good many of the houses destroyed had been lovingly built by their owners over many years and were like works of art. 

• Thanks 2