CodeXs

Daoism Schools/Sects modern or "rare"

Dear friends,

I would like to know if your familiar with (and have information about) non-traditional sects.
I am referring to modern or lesser known sects and if you have reference websites or textual material that you can refer me to to analyze.
I am familiar with the various traditional schools and one or another recent school, but would I would like to broaden my knowledge in this regard.
Thank you so much!

Best wishes.

João :D

Off the top of my head...

Stillness-Movement

Sundo

Healing Tao/Universal Tao

Sheng Zhen

Spring Forest

Robert Peng´s teaching

Max Christensen´s Kunlun Method

Yigong (Sifu Jenny Lamb)

Juan Li (healing tao instructor with some individual things)

Chi Nei Tsang as taught by Gilles Marin

Not sure if this is what you mean and not all of these are necessarily "modern."  Just what comes to mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi!

Thank you so much for your help.

As far as I can see, the examples you refere are more related to physical practices, chi gong and similar activities.

I was thinking more like for example Eva Wong Xiantianwujimen lineage, and potential schools derived from quanzhen and zhengyi, or maybe other surviving and almost forgotten schools today.

For example the COMPREHENSIVE REGISTER OF THE LINEAGES AND BRANCHES OF THE REALIZED ONES (Zhuzhen zongpai zongbu 諸真宗派總簿) makes reference of several sects that I cannot find information about.

Thank you so much.

• Thanks 1

On 2019/9/8 at 5:31 AM, CodeXs said:

For example the COMPREHENSIVE REGISTER OF THE LINEAGES AND BRANCHES OF THE REALIZED ONES (Zhuzhen zongpai zongbu 諸真宗派總簿) makes reference of several sects that I cannot find information about.

Which ones? Please post names in Chinese if possible.

• Thanks 1

Hi!

For example:

混元派 Hunyuan pai
尹喜派 Yin Xi pai

少陽派 Shaoyang pai

正陽派 Zhengyang pai

純陽派 Chunyang pai

海蟾劉祖派 Haichan Liu zu pai

重陽派 Chongyang pai

隨山派 Suishan pai

南無派 Nanwu pai

遇山派 Yushan pai

華山派 Huashan pai

山派 Yushan pai

清靜派 Qingjing pai

金山派 Jinshan pai

金輝派 Jinhui pai

閻祖派 Yan zu pai

嶗山派 Laoshan pai

清微派 Qingwei pai

又二茅派 you Er Mao pai

靜一派 Jingyi pai

高上派 Gaoshang pai

天師清微派 Tianshi Qingwei pai

天師正乙派 Tianshi Zhengyi pai

張真人正乙派 Zhang zhenren Zhengyi pai

天師張真人正乙派 Tianshi Zhang zhenren Zhengyi pai

天師張道陵真人正乙派 Tianshi Zhang Daoling zhenren Zhengyi pai

天師分支尹喜派 Yin Xi pai

真武玄武派 Zhenwu Xuanwu pai
呂祖天仙派 Lü zu Tianxian pai
天仙派 Tianxian pai
呂祖蓬萊派 Lü zu Penglai pai
葛真君天台派 Ge Zhenren Tiantai pai
許真君淨明派 Xu zhenjun Jingming pai
果老祖師雲陽派 Guolao zushi Yunyang pai
鐵拐祖師雲虛派 Tieguai zushi Yunxu pai
何仙姑雲霞派 He Xiangu Yunxia pai
曹國舅金丹派 Cao Guojiu jindan pai

曹仙姑清靜派 Cao Xiangu Qingjing pai
樵陽真人玉線派 Qiao Yang zhenren Yuxian pai
老華山派 Laohua shan pai
周祖靈寶派 Zhou zu Lingbao pai
周祖鐵冠派 Zhouzu Tieguan pai
徐復陽祖師鶴山派 Xu Fuyang zushi Heshan pai

鶴山派 Heshan pai

自然派 Ziran pai
三豐祖師自然派 Sanfeng zushi Ziran pai
三豐派 Sanfeng pai

三豐祖師日新派 Sanfeng zushi Rixin pai

日新派 Rixin pai
三豐祖師蓬萊派 Sanfeng zushi Penglai pai

天仙派 Tianxian pai
薩真君西河派 Sa zhenjun Xihe pai
薩祖派 Sa zu pai

龍門華山派 Longmen Huashan pai
邱祖又派 Qiu zu you pai
郝祖岔派 Hao zu chapai
五祖岔支崑山派 Wuzu zhazhi Kunshan pai
先天派 Xiantian pai

本山派 Benshan pai

棲安派 Qi’an pai Dwelling in Tranquility Branch
紫陽派 Ziyang pai

霍山派 Huoshan pai
御制九宮山派 Yuzhi Jiugong shan pai
彭祖真空派 Peng zu zhengong pai
廣慧派 Guanghui pai

Here are some examples. I am quite sure that many of these branches will be extinct, some of them hundreds of years ago. However I would like to have access to written information or websites about branches that are still active, regardless of whether they belong to this group or not.
That's it :)
Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi CodeXs,

That's a long list. I'm just going to jot some notes into it where I can offer some thoughts off the top of my head. If you do not read Chinese, I think your best bet is to consult The Routledge Encyclopedia of Taoism, which is a fantastic and extremely in-depth resource. To be honest, consider its enormity and the care went into making it, I don't consider its price on Amazon to be exhorbitant whatsoever, but it is still expensive. If the price makes buying it impossible, you might be able to get a copy through inter-library loan or even convince your local library to purchase a copy. I've had luck getting hard to find books through both methods in the past. 

On 2019/9/25 at 4:24 AM, CodeXs said:

尹喜派 Yin Xi pai

-This line traces back to Yin Xi, who is famous for convincing Laozi to hang out for a few days and write the Daodejing before he rode off on his ox and "left all this bullshit behind him." :D It has other names, including 文始派 (named after one of Yin Xi's honorary titles), 猶龍派 ("The School of Those Who are Like Dragons," probably a reference to Confucius' alleged statement about Laozi--not a literal statement about dragons), and 隱仙派 ("Hidden Immortals School"). There are people who still claim this school's mantle. It is not a monastic or liturgical lineage, was never oriented around public endeavors, and by some accounts leads the deepest achievements. Its characteristic is wuwei practice. 

少陽派 Shaoyang pai

-It is interesting that Shaoyang pai comes after Yin Xi pai here, because this reflects a breakdown I have seen elsewhere. Legend has it that, in addition to Yin Xi, Laozi also had a disciple with the name or sobriquet Shao Yang. To Yin Xi, Laozi transmitted wuwei-based practice. However, Shao Yang was not ready for such teachings, and so Laozi taught him the step-by-step methods, starting with refining jing into qi. Therefore, Shaoyang pai is not an individual lineage, but a reference to the originator of a line of teachings that eventually made their way into many schools, including the Dragon Gate (although, to be sure, there are teachings within the Dragon Gate school that are more Yin Xi-like in their emphasis on wuwei). In short, Shaoyang pai is an umbrella term.

正陽派 Zhengyang pai

Reference to Zhongli Quan, of the Eight Immortals. I do not know of it as a standalone school.

純陽派 Chunyang pai

Reference to Lu Dongbin, of the Eight Immortals, disciple of Zhongli Quan. I believe that the fellows on White Horse Mountain near Wudang claim this mantle.

海蟾劉祖派 Haichan Liu zu pai

Reference to Liu Haichan, who influenced many schools of Daoism. 

重陽派 Chongyang pai

隨山派 Suishan pai

南無派 Nanwu pai

遇山派 Yushan pai

華山派 Huashan pai

山派 Yushan pai

清靜派 Qingjing pai

All of the above from Chongyang down seem to be references to Wang Chongyang, founder of Quanzhen Daoism, and smaller schools founded by his disciples. 

金山派 Jinshan pai

Perhaps a reference to Min Yide's school, Jingaishan pai, which counts as a Dragon Gate offshoot, I believe, with other influences

嶗山派 Laoshan pai

Laoshan Daoism, in Shandong, has a long and rich history. This may be a Dragon Gate offshoot

天師清微派 Tianshi Qingwei pai

天師正乙派 Tianshi Zhengyi pai

張真人正乙派 Zhang zhenren Zhengyi pai

天師張真人正乙派 Tianshi Zhang zhenren Zhengyi pai

天師張道陵真人正乙派 Tianshi Zhang Daoling zhenren Zhengyi pai

These all seem to be related closely to what we now call Zhengyi Daoism or the Heavenly Masters Sect, which still exists in many places in China, Taiwan, and probably other places with concentrations of people with Chinese heritage.

天師分支尹喜派 Yin Xi pai

Perhaps a blend of Zhengyi Daoism and Yin Xi's teachings? Never heard of it. 

呂祖天仙派 Lü zu Tianxian pai
呂祖蓬萊派 Lü zu Penglai pai

Interesting to see other schools bearing Lu Dongbin's name. This is likely because Lu Dongbin remains (or is believed to remain) actively involved in transmitting teachings to the world in a variety of highly esoteric ways.

葛真君天台派 Ge Zhenren Tiantai pai

Maybe Ge Hong's school?

許真君淨明派 Xu zhenjun Jingming pai

Probably a school tracing back to Xu Xun aka (iirc) Xu Jingyang.

果老祖師雲陽派 Guolao zushi Yunyang pai
鐵拐祖師雲虛派 Tieguai zushi Yunxu pai
何仙姑雲霞派 He Xiangu Yunxia pai
曹國舅金丹派 Cao Guojiu jindan pai

曹仙姑清靜派 Cao Xiangu Qingjing pai

Schools seemingly connected to other members of the Eight Immortals, whose names you can easily find on Wikipedia. Not sure how widespread these schools are now or ever were. 

老華山派 Laohua shan pai

Perhaps refers to the Huashan Daoism that predated the Quanzhen school with the name Huashan?

自然派 Ziran pai
三豐祖師自然派 Sanfeng zushi Ziran pai
三豐派 Sanfeng pai

三豐祖師日新派 Sanfeng zushi Rixin pai

These seem to be Wudang-related schools. The latter three take their name from Zhang Sanfeng. Practitioners alive today claim these mantles. 

龍門華山派 Longmen Huashan pai
邱祖又派 Qiu zu you pai
郝祖岔派 Hao zu chapai

More Dragon Gate and Quanzhen sub-schools. This sort of branching out happened a lot.

紫陽派 Ziyang pai

Possibly a reference to Zhang Boduan; if so, refers to so-called "Southern Quanzhen," or at least something closely related.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1