Earl Grey

Volunteers wanted: fitness training regiment to supplement Zhan Zhuang

Dear all,

I have put together a basic program for fitness using bodyweight exercises and am calling for volunteers. 

The reason I have made this program (which will go towards my book to be published in the future) is because I noticed when focusing purely on internal arts, your fitness can vary based on what you train in. For example, if I did the Bagua exercises, Baduanjin, circle walking, and Zhan Zhuang, plus forms like Liuhebafa and Yang, I was healthy, but not fit. Even if I could stand for 2-3 hours a day in Zhan Zhuang, I was still not satisfied with my overall health even if I do not get sick (aside from food poisoning). 

Whenever I went back to my old time strongman training and combined it with my internal training, I started to not only look like a fighter, but it made my power and strength increase dramatically. 

So I divided my foundational program into stretching, calisthenics, isometrics, muscle contraction and muscle control (seems like two things but it's actually one), and muscle compression (derived from Zhan Zhuang). 

I am now looking for volunteers who are any of the following criteria:

- complete beginners with no internal background

- internal practitioners dissatisfied with either or both their current health and fitness

- people who do not like the gym, do not have access to the gym, and want to rely solely on their own body and the world around them

- practitioners who already are comfortable with their internal style (even adept or advanced already) but would like to have fitness

The key here is to not necessarily look buff, but to feel strong and powerful. 

I am already a junior instructor for 3/4 of my martial lineages, but as estimated by my teacher, by 2020/2021 I will be certified to teach Xin Yi Liuhebafa and Yi Quan from my lineage at the very least. Thus, this fitness regiment is what I am creating as a way to test how I will offer this to my Xin Yi students in the future, and is also something I informally taught people before back in university before my internal training.

The program is an amalgamation of the teachings of Charles Atlas, Charles Bronson, Harry Wong, Maxick, and Alexander Zass. 

Write here for discussion and PM me if you are interested, as I will take a small number of volunteers and have some online video conference sessions to people interested in doing this seriously. People with body type confidence issues are of particular interest as I am hoping that they are able to benefit from this.

It will require some back and forth to see if our personalities match because while I am not charging for this, I am also not going to be a subordinate when offering myself completely. 

• Like 4

What kind of daily time commitment is someone looking at to volunteer? I'm interested, but I have a lot of coals in the fire, and would hate to commit to something I couldn't finish etc. Also, what kind of diet would this require? 

Edited by luxinfinitas
additional question needed to be asked

18 minutes ago, luxinfinitas said:

What kind of daily time commitment is someone looking at to volunteer? I'm interested, but I have a lot of coals in the fire, and would hate to commit to something I couldn't finish etc. Also, what kind of diet would this require? 

Honestly there is no real time commitment aside from testing a lot of things: does the program interest people? Does it work for some individuals more than others? How are their existing diets, sleeping habits, and internal practices affected and affecting this?

You could spend around 30-45 minutes a day doing the stretches and foundational exercises, then do the isometric and muscle control exercises throughout the day at odd moments like on the bus or standing in line somewhere, even seated at your desk. You could even do everything in 1-2 hours if you wanted--the exercises can be done when you have a couple hours and when you're busy and get in small pockets of time to do one or two different exercises for a set of 10. 

The Zhan Zhuang is the big question though as people have different backgrounds and abilities in it, and I come from a Yi Quan lineage, so the physical conditioning is the focus here, but the Zhan Zhuang will be downplayed unless someone is a formal student, aside from here where I will offer a few adjustments I'll offer and critique of their current Zhan Zhuang. 

Really just e-mailing or calling every now and then over the course of a few weeks and a weekly or semi-weekly progress check. 

You could try it for a few days and say you aren't feeling it and all I'd ask is a few questions so I can help refine it and improve it. 

You could do it for a month or two and share your insights. 

You could continue for the rest of your life and then tell me what you think every now and then. 

I'm not advocating any diet now as people with different diets will also be helpful variables to check for my research, so eat what you will. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, luxinfinitas said:

In that case I'm both interested and happy to volunteer. My knowledge of Zhan Zhuang is surface though as I've never received formal training. 

PM me then.

After having spoken with some volunteers already, I have determined that it is important to have a baseline for practice, which are the Baduanjin/Eight Brocades at the very least, as this fitness training is good on its own, but it's meant to be for people interested in both internal and external health. 

Depending on what any of you are already practicing, we'll need to go over this, as well as make sure that if you don't have a clean bill of health, please let me know what any pre-existing health conditions we should be aware of to adjust the practice for your safety. 

I ask that if you do this to keep a journal of what you do, what you eat, how you sleep, and any thoughts about it from difficulty to boredom. You can do that in a notebook and summarize to me in weekly or semi-weekly calls, or post updates in a PPJ or here in this thread. 

I'll be moving the updates to a section in the PPJ soon and more public updates here.

Even if you don't volunteer your own time, you will still be able to view the program in progress and do it on your own if you fancy. So enjoy. 

• Like 2

Dear friends, the majority of the exercises have been drafted and posted in the program I have posted. To follow will be routines and challenges for people to follow and begin their physical transformation to prepare them for future training should they wish to pursue Xin Yi or to amplify their existing internal practice. 

• Like 1