Sign in to follow this  
Spadeace02

Qi/Martial arts Cultivation

Hello Seniors, I am new and I have searched many sites for ways to train my qi and martial art but was unable can some one provide me some guidance. 

What the Star-Lord said!

Perhaps Bagua could be cool too? What you want is someone who practices the styles and has the nei kung (inner exercises) that go with it from their specific lineage.

Also you don’t want a teacher who talks but never explains the how and what and lets you study these exercises in pairs. A lot of people will show an intended use but don’t let students feel it or try it because, well, many reasons. But you want the mechanics and details and to get those you gotta be sincere and dedicated and have a keen eye for spotting windbags. Avoid windbags and people who dangle ”secrets” and ”advanced” practices like carrots, my experience tells me these people need that kind of ”hook” to keep students interested, which is bogus. The real arts with a skilled teacher you’ll get lost in ”basic” exercises and how to understand, use and own those principles and techniques.

And word to the wise:

developing this kind of stuff usually takes from years to decades before stuff ”really” happens, depends often on how much expectations and preconceived ideas of whats supposed to happen you carry into the practice. 

Everybody does to some extent, the trick is to shed and leave that stuff at the door and just go with whats being done there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 05/09/2019 at 2:43 PM, Spadeace02 said:

Hello Seniors

Hey! I'm 31!

On 05/09/2019 at 2:43 PM, Spadeace02 said:

I am new and I have searched many sites for ways to train my qi and martial art but was unable can some one provide me some guidance. 

Have you taken any lessons in anything before? Either way, like @Michael Sternbach said, finding a good taiji school close to you is a good start :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In that case, for now, I would suggest sticking to basic breathing meditations and look around this forum for other threads. There are plenty of meditation and qigong techniques of you search around.

But until you find some, try 30 minutes every morning and night time, cross legged sat on a high cushion, facing south. Palms on your knees. Eyes relaxed, half closed and gaze down toward your nose.

Breathe in and out through the nose and after 5 minutes of calming down, relax your eyes. You can close them if you don't lose your focus. Feel the breath going into the lower dantien (just below the belly button) and focus until the end of the meditation. The more you practice, the more you will feel your energy over time.

It's a good place to start until you find your practice. Good luck :)

• Like 2

What Rara said!

Let me also suggest you look at the threads relating to something called Sung (roughly means a vibrant and active form of relaxation) and check out videos on ”Sung Gong” which is a very useful and beneficial practice. There are videos out there with very detailed and easy to follow instructions and wether you should find a primarily external or internal martial arts practice you’ll have a lot of help if your body is familiar with this form of relaxation and mechanic.

Something that is worth mentioning is that besides the famous internal martial arts branches of Taiji, Bagua and Xingyi there are some, less renown and marketed, styles that still have intact and thriving internal practices.

For example there are more than a few southern styles of kung fu systems that incorporate internal cultivation after establishing the right body mechanics and structure in beginners. Nei gong, qi gong and meditation are still alive within Choy Li Fut, Hung Kuen, Five Animals, Five Ancestors and the like to name a few. Some masters don’t have an internal style in their advertized curriculum but do practice cultivation for healing and research purposes too.

What schools are available to you in your area if you dont mind telling?

If there is a legit, traditionally trained acupuncturist, calligrapher or feng shui master (someone who either is or trains directly with a lineage holder) near you you could ask them to teach you since those professions usually require skill and insight with internal cultivation to take to the next level.

Don’t get stuck on what is apparent and obvious, asking questions and inquiring about referrals can yield interesting results!

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this