Sign in to follow this  
waterdrop

Difference between jing and qi ?

What is the difference between jing and qi ?

im asking cause im confused a bit about it  -  i used to hear that jing is something you have from birth and you should try to preserve it and when you get old you are slowly loosing jing 

yet recently i asked here how to not get wet dreams (if i dont want to have sex or masturbate)  and got an advice to turn jing to qi (if someone wants to add an explanation how i do that - can be nice)   ....   so by what i heared in the past it seems like a bad idea to turn jing into qi ... and if anything it should be the other way around ...

would love to hear whatever info people can add on the subject of jing vs qi

16 hours ago, waterdrop said:

im asking cause im confused a bit about it  -  i used to hear that jing is something you have from birth and you should try to preserve it and when you get old you are slowly loosing jing 

yet recently i asked here how to not get wet dreams (if i dont want to have sex or masturbate)  and got an advice to turn jing to qi (if someone wants to add an explanation how i do that - can be nice)   ....   so by what i heared in the past it seems like a bad idea to turn jing into qi ... and if anything it should be the other way around ...

Hi!

Jing is what makes the body........chi is what moves it.

Like a candle......jing is the wax....and chi is the flame.

There are also pre-heaven forms of jing and chi (which are only worked with in alchemy) .......and post-heaven forms (which are worked with in qi gong, nei-gong, all energy based work etc.).

Not ejaculating at all is going against the functions of the body and is harmful to the spirit in the longer run.

If you have problems with sex (by either wanting to masturbate/ejaculate constantly  ..or totally feeling repelled by it) you should release the blockages that cause such unbalanced behaviour.

Changing jing to chi...is actually a term from alchemy...but here it is used in the post heaven realm. There are ways to bring the jing energy back to the kidneys....but as i said ...better to heal the unbalanced aspects of our sexuality.

best

Edited by MIchael80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2019 at 5:06 PM, waterdrop said:

The language is quite complex in this idea.

The general idea is that the Dao derived the Yin and Yang, and then their interactions created Qi (movement, substance). From those came the Heaven, Earth and Primordial energies...

And then eventually all things in the universe.

The Qi there mentioned isn't the Qi as in QiGong or the Qi used in acupuncture. It is Qi in the sense of "movement", "energy", "substance" (yes, all forms of substance are Qi in this idea, but that's on a very high level of existence), etc.

Now comes the complex part. Once we go into this kind of language, the terms start to be used as scales of measurement, not literal "things".

So Yin and Yang aren't "things", but scales of measurement. They are reference points towards things (Qi) gravitates in a cycle, and which, by their time, create other mental things which eventually create the universe (something on the lines of "the universe comes from the mind").

However, there's this idea that the human body itself is a "small universe", so we divide all of the energies and matter in this body into various forms of energy according to the affinity this energy have.

Therefore, you'll have the more Yin aspects of the body, like the bone marrow, the bones, the tissues, the organs and the physical blood... and the energetic ones, like the Jing, Qi, Xue, Shen, etc.

What we have to remember is that all of the substances are understood as "Qi", but that this "Qi" is further divided into other forms of "Qi" which receive each their own name.

So, what practioners use is usually either Wei Qi or Ying Qi. This is a form of Qi which is generated in the body and which is called "Qi" because it is in the middle of the way from Jing to Shen, which also can be considered to be "forms of Qi" (in terms of being energy) but are respectively more Yin and more Yang than Zheng Qi or Xin Qi.

So, the human body is a microcosm, and the Energy in this body is itself a microcosm as well. So in the physical aspects, the Hands are the most Yang parts of the body (because they go higher than any other parts) and the Feet are the most Yin part (because they are lower than other parts).

The Jing is the most Yin part of the Energies in the body, while Shen is the most Yang part.

And, what you know, the meridians which connect to both Jing and Shen are related to the feet and hands.

Also, the places where those two are stored in the body (Jing in the Kidneys and Shen in the Heart) are also in an Yin-Yang relation to each other, the Kidneys being the most Yin of the organs and the Heart the most Yang of them.

These kinds of correlations are the very basys of all of the daoist thought - that things have properties that correlate between themselves and that things of the "same kind" tend to group togheter.

So Jing is the most Yin part of the whole body's energy, and it is also the one that most closely resonates with the physical body... and so on like this.

Now, let's talk about Jing and Qi.

Knowing that both are Qi in the idea of being both "energy", we call Jing the most Yin of these energies and Qi the middle-of-the-path ones.

The Jing is extremely close to the Physical Body, and it coordinates all kinds of transformations and physiological processess in the body - such as development, aging and so on.

Qi is more subtle, and it is the energy which, for instance, makes it so your cells produce heat and keep you warm.

But Jing can also be separated acording to its origin. Everyone has Jing ever since we are conceived, but due to how our bodies are structured, it is stored in a place we can never access (easily at least) after birth.

So the Jing produced after birth is stored in other places.

If the Jing produced during our mothers' pregnancy ends, all life ends as well - because it is important for our own existence and crucial in the transformations and maintenances the body makes on itself.

This Jing is called "Pre-Heaven Jing", and learning how to access the place it is stored in and then replenishing it is the supposed way people could live forever - by becoming younger again and never aging, since the aging process comes from depletion of this Pre-Heaven Jing.

As the Post-Heaven Jing, it is constantly produced in our bodies and it is used as an "energetic reserve" of sorts, which can then be used if we ever need it (we usually do every day).

This Post-Heaven Jing can be accessed with relative ease and then turned into Qi, which is the more subtle energy I've talked about before - and which will nourish your body and help it to stay healthy.

This is the idea behind "turning Jing into Qi".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks  -  can you talk more about post-heaven jing VS qi  

Im not sure what to ask about it actually  i just want to hear more info about it the more people add the better -  but just to give some ideas :

(  how is post jing created ?  can we increase its amount by some actions ?   should we turn all post heavenly jing to qi  (unless we want to concive a baby?) ?  how do we turn post heavenly jing to qi  etc  etc etc )

Edited by waterdrop

On 06/09/2019 at 12:45 PM, waterdrop said:

Thanks  -  can you talk more about post-heaven jing VS qi  

Im not sure what to ask about it actually  i just want to hear more info about it the more people add the better -  but just to give some ideas :

(  how is post jing created ?  can we increase its amount by some actions ?   should we turn all post heavenly jing to qi  (unless we want to concive a baby?) ?  how do we turn post heavenly jing to qi  etc  etc etc )

When we eat and drink, our stomach separates the energetic elements of the food and the energetic parts go to the splenn-pancreas to be transformed.

There they are turned into Gu Qi, the "Qi of the Grains". Parts of energy and matter which cannot be turned into Gu Qi descend into the small intestine and go through another round of separations and purifications in order to help to create material things in our body, such as blood and bodly liquids (tears, sweat, the liquid inside  your joints, spinal fluid, etc).

The Gu Qi rises from the Spleen-Pancreas and gets to the chest area. There your lungs are constantly bringing in Qi from the air (Xin Qi). The Qi from the air which combines with Gu Qi at the level of your chest becomes either Zhong Qi - chest Qi - or goes to the heart and becomes spiritual blood - Xue.

The part of the Air Qi which brings the Food Qi all the way down to the Kidneys is "cooked" by the Yuan Qi which is produced by the Pre-Heaven Jing and becomes Zheng Qi (true Qi).

Zheng Qi is almost instantaniously transformed into Wei Qi (defense Qi) and Ying Qi (nourishment Qi).

Wei Qi warms the body and goes to the surface, creating a protective layer around your body. It is related to the immune system.

Ying Qi sinks into the blood by means of the spiritual blood (Xue), which is capable of holding it.

It travels through all of your veins and arteries and through all of your organs. It gets transformed in the process, being constantly refined and consumed. The organs, muscles and etc use the Ying Qi and Xue to nourish themselves, and in the process separate the most energetic and pure parts of it from the impure parts.

The impure parts are released through the intestines (small and large), gal bladder and bladder. The purer parts get constantly cooled down by the organs and transformed. Eventually it reaches the Governor Vessel and, at this point, it has been so tempered and refined it becomes Post-Heaven Jing.

That is to say, it has "degraded" in terms of materiality - it has become more material than Zheng Qi/Ying Qi - but it is so pure, it can be used by the body at any moments in the same form we use Pre-Heaven Jing.

It easily transforms into energy for your body, into any form of organ energy or even into Qi or Shen in case needed. It's just that pure and flexible of an energy.

That's how it is created.

can we increase its amount by some actions ?

Eat well, sleep well, exercise well, work well, live well. The less damage you generate in your organs, body, mind and energy in general the less Ying Qi will have to be consumed to repair them and more will turn into Post-Heaven Jing.

should we turn all post heavenly jing to qi 

No. It is a reserve your body will use when it needs. For instance, if you need to expend too much time without eat (five or six hours) and so on.

It is also the reserves your body has in case you get sick and your Wei Qi gets depleted... and so on.

So you should transform just a little bit of it, and into the correct form of Qi - the purest form. It is usefull because it is so pure and flexible, so it can be used to create the most pure form of Qi as well.

how do we turn post heavenly jing to qi

I've had a very intensive day today, so I might be unable to give you very detailed instructions.

However, certain bodily movements, meditations and other forms of Neidan are used to do that. The "creation" (refinement) and consolidation of your Dan Tien is also based in that.

• Thanks 2

So how do i know i dont turn to much jing into qi ?    and how do i know i turned enough jing into qi so i dont get a wet dream ? 

also does simple meditation ("sitting stupid")  not some active one also turn jing to qi ? 

(thanks for all replies btw)

Alternative definitions I have heard to simplify jing, qi, and shen that have been posted here multiple times already:

Qi is your energy,  akin to the money you have on hand in your wallet, but qi itself is not energy per se.

Jing is your life essence, akin to the savings you have in the bank

Shen is reality itself and the blueprint for everything, akin to marketshare and how the greater marketshare you have, the greater influence you yield. (thank GSmaster for contributing this analogy of marketshares). 

I want to know enough so i can avoid getting wet dreams - i mean what excrice to do and how much of it is enough ?     (if horse stand than how much is enough)   -     and if i meditate a lot

during the day  can it be enough ? 

On 9/8/2019 at 3:10 AM, Desmonddf said:

So you should transform just a little bit of it, and into the correct form of Qi - the purest form.

what is this form of qi called ? 

Sign in to follow this