Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Book of Memories

38 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

I wish there was an easy how-to manual for preserving the ancestral memory of who we are and rectifying things that have inevitably gone wrong, a sort of Rewilding For Dummies..

The wish that we had an ancestral book of memories.  Writing down our deeds, good and bad, seeing into the lives of ancestors.   Game of Thrones had one, a book celebrating the deeds of the noble house.  In one of the Ender books, they had Speaker of Truth person who at a persons death spoke of them, all there good, bad, trials.. 

My family grave yard is full.  No room left.  But on the graves of my great grandfather & great grandmother are lockets with there pictures, so with my grandparents and there siblings resting there.  Pictures of people I never met or only have fuzzy memories of.  Even physical books are lost.  In this age of electronics and cheap storage it'd be nice to create Book of Memories.  Filling it out, beyond genealogy, into interconnections.   Even going so far as diaries yet keeping a front page that's tighter and highlighted.

I guess a Wikipedia for memories. 

Do people here have any thing similar.  Books, diaries, bibles w/ long genealogies? 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, thelerner said:

Do people here have any thing similar.  Books, diaries, bibles w/ long genealogies? 

I remember seeing some old black-and-white photographs of sternly seated relatives who died before I was born.  I would love to know more about them.  What were they interested in?  How did they spend their days?   Mostly what I´d want to figure out is if there´s anything of them in me.

Sometimes it´s hard to see the connections even between my younger self and the person I´ve become.  I was so fascinated by electronics as a kid; I´d stare endlessly at all the wires and transitor thingamabobs visible through ventilation holes in the composite board backing of our living room TV.  My parents thought I´d become an electrical engineer.  Didn´t happen.  Not even close.  I look back and wonder where that kid went -- he bears so little resemblance to me.  

I think it´s worthwhile taking some time to reconstruct a narrative of life, good to have a larger sense of who we are through time.  Ideally this narrative would stretch back before birth to include ancestral stories.  If not, even just a personal narrative that gives a sense of this-is-who-I-am is better than nothing. 

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

My father has compiled extensive genealogies (with many "broken branches" alas), and has included in his personal files many little tidbits regarding what's known...

Fascinating stuff with great gaps; I know, for example, one (great to whatever degree) grandfather was a wagon maker, but I don't know what his favorite meal was. I know of fortunes made and lost, and murmers of proclivities.. I know of journeys through Europe, and arrivals in the U.S. - some before it was the U.S. 

Edited by ilumairen
typo
  • Like 2

My brother is exploring our family tree and got back to about 1820 - turns out I have Scottish, Irish, English and quite possibly German Jewish ancestors on my mothers side.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 3

I only have this -- 1906, my great-grandparents with their seven children. 

My grandmother, the youngest, is 3, right behind her the oldest sister, 18.  The tallest guy to the right of her is the oldest brother, future personal guard of Nicholas II, later a military nurse in WWI, then a blurry period he never talked about, and then some 50 years of working in a theater. A famous theater and movie actress was his lover for many years.  He never married. 

Two younger brothers were educated in Germany, at the University of Göttingen.  Both were killed in action during the civil war following the Russian revolution, sometime around 1918, fighting on the opposite sides. 

All the girls survived into a ripe old age (90s)  -- a pediatrician, an artist who also worked in a theater, as a set decorator, and the least educated of all, my grandmother, a med school dropout turned nurse.  

Both great-grandparents were executed by the Nazis in the summer of 1941, at the age of just under and just over 90, respectively.

My great-grandfather was an agronomist and, like his father and father-in-law before him, worked as CEO for the sugar enterprises of the Tereshchenko family, famous Ukrainian sugar magnates of the time.  He developed, via selective breeding, the sturdiest, most cold- and pest-resilient variety of sugar beets that yielded most successful crops for the next 100+  years and to this day.  It pretty much eliminated the Russian empire's dependency on imported cane sugar.   

I suspect the humble hut in the background is the photographer's -- from my grandmother's accounts, the family must have lived in far greater comfort, solid upper middle class.  

unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.fbd6ffd71e44a7e4273c48eafdfe74f1.jpg

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not possible to go back in time. Only forward. 

Trying to fix a mistake, actually causes that mistake to expand. Even beyond your innocence. So you literally become a mistake. The further you advance.

Trying to undo anything, just reflects the attempt of undoing back at you. To the point that you can no longer escape your own undoing. Meaning, death is required, to advance. 

So to make peace with here and now, is all there is to it. Being and becoming, evermore. In greater allowed freedom, evermore. The freedom of allowing the fullness of this moment. Which is the desire of your soul. And it is through your soul that you allow all benefit for oneself and all else aswell. 

To simply be here and now. And feel your emotional guidance system. Which lets you know, wether you focused in contradiction to your soul, or in harmony and allowed alignment with it. That's it. You don't need to know everything the soul knows. You are already being given everything you need to know, always, unconditionally, meaning regardless of any and all conditions. You are unconditionally loved. And guided and supported unconditionally. Through your very heart. By your very own greater non-physical consciousness. And even the Source of All Creation. Through your heart. 

If you want to flow that truth more fully here, for the benefit of one and all, you simply need to allow yourself to become as it. By allowing yourself to feel better. Not to change the conditions around you. Just to feel better emotionally. That's it. 

If you feel that that is difficult. Just keep trying. Eventually you will understand how simple it is. And you will succeed. Because if feeling better was truely difficult, you would feel very good by trying so hard. You see, the emotions are flawless, because your soul knows EVERYTHING AND EVERMORE. 

You really think you are a fish in a pond? You are that which creates everything. How are you gonna allow that realisation if you don't feel very good? You can't and you wont. Ever. The emotion is the only guidance you will ever need. 

Sign in to follow this