Sign in to follow this  
Ralph Losey

Opportunity to cross paths to meet with Livia Kohn

You’ve probably seen the interview here of Professor Dao, aka, Livia Kohn. If not  I am sure you are familiar with Livia’s incredible work, both her original translations and many commentaries. 

Livia may be the most influential Taoist influence in the United States today. She should be, IMO, as she seems to be the best informed.  Moreover she is the rare academic scholar PhD who is also a sincere practitioner. 

I can’t wait to meet Kohn in the afternoon of September 15th in Winter Park, Florida. You are invited to join with me, meet her, experience for yourself her energy, her practitioner skills. She has agreed to speak and show us a few things. It will be a small private group, first come first serve, but we may have some gates.

Spontaneous community gatherings with senior practitioners like this are a rare opportunity to connect with the Dao. 

Contact me for more information.

• Like 2

We had a very interesting meeting with Livia Kohn and a few friends, about 14 people. Not only Daoism, but also kinesthesiology (sp?), you know, the muscle testing for true false answers to certain types of questions. A person pushes down on your arm and lesser strength indiates yes. Part of her attempt to integrate Daoism with modern thought, specifically a health body mind program called Core Health. Anybody every heard of it? Founder is Dr. Ed Carlson, a dentist and black belt.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ralph Losey said:

Ooops, lesser strength was Yin, was No, not yes.

Livia also stated that Qi always says yes to life and is always positive.

my guess is she got that from qigong master Effie P. Chow - check out her vids on youtube. Chow was doing that muscle testing based on positive thinking as her qi demonstration for probably since I saw her in person in 1995!! Also there is a Gallant qi machine that relies on voltage testing using a pendulum. I did a blog post on it and my farm friends have relied on it. So the pendulum response is supposed to measure whether a person's voltage is strong enough and somehow this correlates to certain diseases that the machine measures based on the voltage rating. I'm not sure on the details - it's used more in Germany I guess - some kind of Biosensor qi machine... then the condition is treated with homeopathy.

On 9/16/2019 at 9:04 AM, Ralph Losey said:

We had a very interesting meeting with Livia Kohn and a few friends, about 14 people. Not only Daoism, but also kinesthesiology (sp?), you know, the muscle testing for true false answers to certain types of questions. A person pushes down on your arm and lesser strength indiates yes. Part of her attempt to integrate Daoism with modern thought, specifically a health body mind program called Core Health. Anybody every heard of it? Founder is Dr. Ed Carlson, a dentist and black belt.

Thanks for the invite Ralph.  It was great to be able to meet her. 

The first medical qigong master I learned under also used Core Health in his healing. He would scan with one hand and use the other hand testing the resistance at the wrist (as person lays face up their palms are face down to the bed; he lifts the hand repeatedly).

On 9/19/2019 at 1:11 PM, Mig said:

Does she speak Mandarin Chinese or write Chinese to be such an expert?

She is fluent in Japanese and Chinese.  What sets her apart from other sinologist is she is a long time practitioner herself. 

On 9/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, dawei said:

She is fluent in Japanese and Chinese.  What sets her apart from other sinologist is she is a long time practitioner herself. 

I haven't seen her speaking Chinese and the few youtube videos I found, she spoke English in her presentation for a Chinese Audience. I have found that many sinologists including Chinese linguistics experts from renown universities, giving lectures in English rather than in mandarin Chinese. Schipper and very few others being the exception.

Sign in to follow this