Taomeow

Sumer: the "black-headed" vs. the "red-faced"

7 hours ago, Michael Sternbach said:

What I find particularly intriguing is that (as per Sweatman's book) the signs of the zodiac were already being depicted on pillars found in Göbekli Tepe.

Those same zodiacal signs (for the most part) that have so far been considered an invention of the Sumerians.

The issue is that in 4450 BC a new world age started and things get hazy when we try to look back further than that.

Yes, that too.  Also, as a practitioner of taoist sciences, I've been having problems with things "invented" or "first introduced" by the Sumerians" for I don't know how long.  And consequently trying to chase down a common source, or else a transmission not from Sumer but to Sumer -- or else become one of them coincidence theorists whom I generally hold in low esteem for all purposes.

A number of official sources I've seen assert, e.g., that Sumerians were the first to develop astronomical observations and identify something like 12 constellations.  I looked at the same period in Chinese history -- they had been working with 60 constellations by then and since no one knows when at the time, and the 12 that became our "zodiac" (literally "circle of animals") weren't even placed in heaven, they were earthly "animals" (metaphors for particular types of earthly qi) -- then Sumerians somehow transported them to up above our heads, shuffled the animals a bit, added some human non-animals -- and all subsequent Western astrology (and its physical body disemboweled of its metaphysical soul that became astronomy) proceeded to work with those.  (Which is one reason I've never looked all that closely at Western astrology...  hey, what about Earth?...  Does our planet have a say at all in what concerns itself with human destiny?..)   

In systems of Australian Aboriginal 'astronomy' it is common for things to interchange between earth and 'heaven' . In some of the most common original creation stories ; heaven to earth  ( water spat by female black snake / 'Milky Way' / Wallenganda  )    and later (after creation but during 'Dreamtime' ) events on earth can transpose and  then get 'fixed' in the heavens ( current 'set ' reality )  .

2 dynamics   ;  One whole set is about the seasons and  everything associated with that,  hunting, gathering, movements around country , etc .  This is the 'what about earth' stuff' and modern western (tropical) astrology , being based on the every changing equinoctial point, being essentially a matter of 'seasons' , and not having much to do with the locations in space of asterisms ( and  less as time goes on as they move more out of sync )  is actually all about Earth.  So in traditional systems   animals and similar will be transposed on to marker stars and constellations .

The other, although related to the first, is  about  tribal mores and taboos, ways of behaviour  relating to environmental   and social laws , and marking the passage of development firstly  through individuation / initiation and then (if you make it ) as a 'magician'  , 'clever man' , kaidtcha, etc .  These are often enacted  first on earth, then projected into the heavens  ( during ;Dreamtime ) and then 'freeze frame ' they stay that way as the asterism pattern - that is the world has 'set' into the form we know now .  So people and events will be transposed onto stars.  We have to remember that the cosmos was equally a part of landscape . If one can imagine (or even do it yourself )  sitting outside under the stars every night  ( and no tv  :D )  it becomes just as familiar as the earth  / day landscape .

( One reason I study  this stuff is  these people show one the worlds last survivng cultures from very ancient times  - I am not saying its the same as Europe was 30,000 years ago , but I think it does give some indications )

Eg .

I'll mask it, as it is a  'special ' a initiatory story  and causes  shock and horror in those who hear it   ( and not just amongst Aboriginals )

Spoiler

Short general (kindergarten ) level  version, there are deeper and more advanced versions of all stories , most only hear the 'kids level'  .

How the stars of  ......  where formed .      (The name  change over different language  groups )

Once there was this boy coming into manhood. He had a much older very cheeky girlfriend  - trouble !   It came time for the boys initiation so the elder men told the girl to go away and leave him alone - go to woman's camp .  Then they took the boy and some others to the men's secret initiation ground .   But the gill hid and followed them .

:o

(first shock horror )

During the first part of the ceremony the boy/s where circumcised and told to stay in the circle for the night, the men would be back in the morning and the ceremony would continue .  The girl watched from some bushes and watched the circumcision .

(  :o )

After the elders left and the boys fell asleep she crept into the circle

:o:o

She woke the boy up and wanted to look at his freshly circumcised penis , and becoming fascinated with the injury,  wanted to have sex with , right there in the men's initiation circle

(  just consider  the :o   continuing all the way through the rest of this ) 

But, due to the injury the  boy;s member swelled up inside her and he couldnt get it out , he tried  but that caused him to  yell out in pain . Which awoke the guardians  sleeping nearby in their circle, so they rushed to see what had happened .  The girl, knowing  that both of them would be instantly  killed, lifted the boy up and held his thighs and the boy hung on around r hips with his  legs and held on with his arms around her neck and they ran off - stuck together,  across the desert  with  two guardians chasing them.

She ran all the way to the horizon and up into the sky, the guardians followed them.  She ran across the sky, carring the boy and the guardians threw a boomerang and a throwing stick at her   and   .....

< freeze   frame  >

(at this point the  front star of 'Scorpius'  are pointed to  " There is the boy ad the girl stuck together ", then the next two smaller ones , behind the 'head'  " ... and there are the boomerang and throwing stick  "   and the last two  " There are the two guardians chasing them ."

- end .

What is rather remarkable are the 'scorpionic  motiffs' obvious in this story ;   sexuality , unusual or perverse sexuality,  secrets and secrets spied on, magic, ritual and initiation , passion, power , retribution,  etc   in a culture that  diesnt even attribute that asterism to a scorpion !  

• Like 2

Historians credit Sumerians with many inventions -- among them, beer.  Archeologists have found beer-making equipment from the fourth millennium BC.  There's also written documents that seem to offer some evidence that Sumerians drank nothing but beer -- that they didn't drink water.  Beer was, hypothetically, their method of water treatment to make sure it's disinfected.  (Of course the problem didn't arise until the cities and sedentary agriculture.)  Sumerian beer was so thick that they used special filtration straws to drink it through.  They sucked.   

There's hymns to beer, which was supposed to give people "a joyful heart and a contented liver."  The hymns were dedicated to the goddess of brewing, Ninkasi, “one who waters the malt set on the ground.”  

A clay seal depicting beer drinking in a banquet scene dating from 2600-2350 B.C. (Credit: E. Jason Wambsgans/Getty Images)

A clay seal depicting beer drinking in a banquet scene dating from 2600-2350 B.C. 

(I have no idea why it posts twice and I can't remove the second image)

image.png

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Taomeow said:

(I have no idea why it posts twice and I can't remove the second image)

Beer tends to repeat on you  .

• Like 1

Four thousand years ago, students practiced writing by copying various exercises.  Some of the writings they left behind give us a glimpse into the life of a Mesopotamian student.  

“I went in and sat down, and the teacher read my tablet. He said: "There is something missing here."
And beat me with a cane.
One of the overseers said: “Why do you open your mouth without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
And the one who monitors compliance with the rules said: “Why did you get up without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
The gatekeeper said: “Why are you going out without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
A Sumerian teacher said, “Why do you speak Akkadian?”
And beat me with a cane.
Teacher told me: “You have bad handwriting.”
And beat me with a cane. "

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

Four thousand years ago, students practiced writing by copying various exercises.  Some of the writings they left behind give us a glimpse into the life of a Mesopotamian student.  

“I went in and sat down, and the teacher read my tablet. He said: "There is something missing here."
And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.
And the one who monitors compliance with the rules said: “Why did you get up without permission?”
And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.

Reminds me of my school days - but not that long ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Apech said:

Reminds me of my school days - but not that long ago.

Mine were slightly different -- they replaced the cane with the grading system, threats and blackmail.  But education-as-intimidation approach remained intact.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Taomeow said:

ntly

And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.
And beat me with a cane.

Things hadn't changed much up to recently  ....   sounds like when I was at Catholic school, except they beat you with a leather strap .

I was extra naughty so got expelled * - hooray ! Escape !

( I got expelled for  , according to letter ;  'Insinuating a riot '    ?    I pointed it out 'I think you meant instigating  a riot ' in red pen and marked it  4 /10  and handed it back      Headmaster ;  " This is exactly the sort of thing that you    ...... "      :D 

Then I got sent to the State school  ... Oh bliss !    )

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Mine were slightly different -- they replaced the cane with the grading system, threats and blackmail.  But education-as-intimidation approach remained intact.

With the Catholics here ... back then ... leather strap for the boys, cane for the girls .  Apparently strapping girls was not on ! 

:huh:

• Haha 1

...  if my comparison seems stretched  here are more I will add that where a reality back then

I was constant strapped  for ;

not having top button on shirt done up and  tie up around my throat.

not wearing my hat before and after school   ( and back then there was no such thing as 'sun protection' )

Boys strapped and girls caned for  crossing the DMZ at the bus stop , really, they painted a white line down the footpath, girls waiting for bus on one side, boys on the other.  Random patrols would find line crossers .

Fuckin STUPID  as then we all got on the same bus together !     :rolleyes:

( Comment to parents  '  Punishing him just seems to make him worse ! "

Well ......

8ed8413b3aea815eff64a66c45516fd5f6773c6e

• Like 1

Yes, I heard all kinds of stories about physical abuse from former students of Catholic schools.  We didn't have that -- corporeal punishments were prohibited.  We did get more than our fair share of cruelty by other methods though.  

We're moving closer to the heart of the matter in this thread, inch by inch.  I consider the main litmus test of the health or unhealth of any society to be the attitudes toward childhood and the treatment of children, especially very young children.  Civilization is about treating them any number of ways as material to shape into something else -- whatever those in power have conditioned a society to demand of its children at any given point. 

We see quite a few examples of this material being handled with softer hands today than back then.  Nowhere near all of it (some is still treated every bit as badly as four thousand years ago and sometimes worse -- I don't think African children of 5 or 6 mining minerals for the cell phones of their peers in the "developed" world or working 18 hours a day at cacao plantations for their luckier peers' chocolate live any better than slave children in Sumer).  But, yes, occasionally, for a while this material is handled with some care here and there.  At least till the next war, which usually makes it impossible to handle most of it with care even if someone wanted to.  

Which even in the best of times and places does not change the overall approach -- children are accepted and treated nicely only if they meet a hundred, a thousand different counterintuitive non-instinctual non-physiological requirements every day without showing any signs of psychological distress (something instantly discouraged and then exponentially punished if they don't promptly learn to suck it up and obey.)   Like your (Nungali) school's insistence on the shirt being buttoned all the way to the top button so you feel mildly strangled at all times.  Just a constant reminder that if they choose to strangle you for real, they can, anytime.  Later, of course, the well-trained adult men wear ties serving the same purpose, while women are reminded who their bodies really belong to by an even wider array of part symbolic, part mildly (or occasionally severely) mutilating torture devices throughout their "productive" and "reproductive" years (and, out of habit and not knowing any better, often beyond.) 

• Like 5

The term a-nun-na-ke-ne in the Sumerian language, what we pronounce "annunaki," is translated as "the Seed of the Master."  This term was used as a compound name for a number of gods varying from 7 to 600, depending on the source and period -- and they were worshipped for two and a half thousand years.  When the posterity and collaborators of the original 7 were included, the Seed of the Master referred to the mighty god Ninurta and his pals, all posterity of An (or Anu) and his son Enlil, the God of Influences (in modern times coyly translated as "winds"), and Enki (later Ea to Akkadians), the God of Water, knowledge, creation, mischief and deceit.  

Apparently the annunaki encountered competition later (in the second millenium B.C.) from the Babylonian "Master gods," called i-gi-gi-ne.  It's somewhat unclear who these new Masters were and what their status was, since some sources assert the igigi were masters over the annunaki themselves, while others argue that they were their servants.  

This is how the annunaki were typically depicted at the time.  (The one entry in the middle where someone wrote "Equador" needs further investigation -- the attribution appears to be false, even though the plumed thingies looking very similar are all over the pre-Inca and pre-Maya artifacts of South America I've seen with my own eyes in the museums of Peru, but I wouldn't vouch for this particular one that it's from the same source.)  It is interesting to note the repeating details -- wings, a bracelet with a disc on the wrist, the bucket and the pine cone which apparently is dipped into the bucket and then...  Well, don't ask me, my take is faaaaar oooooout...    

69231633_1125706587615073_4172951875030614016_n.jpg

• Like 1

On 27-8-2019 at 2:31 AM, Taomeow said:

Yes, I heard all kinds of stories about physical abuse from former students of Catholic schools.  We didn't have that -- corporeal punishments were prohibited.  We did get more than our fair share of cruelty by other methods though.  

We're moving closer to the heart of the matter in this thread, inch by inch.  I consider the main litmus test of the health or unhealth of any society to be the attitudes toward childhood and the treatment of children, especially very young children.  Civilization is about treating them any number of ways as material to shape into something else -- whatever those in power have conditioned a society to demand of its children at any given point. 

We see quite a few examples of this material being handled with softer hands today than back then.  Nowhere near all of it (some is still treated every bit as badly as four thousand years ago and sometimes worse -- I don't think African children of 5 or 6 mining minerals for the cell phones of their peers in the "developed" world or working 18 hours a day at cacao plantations for their luckier peers' chocolate live any better than slave children in Sumer).  But, yes, occasionally, for a while this material is handled with some care here and there.  At least till the next war, which usually makes it impossible to handle most of it with care even if someone wanted to.  

Which even in the best of times and places does not change the overall approach -- children are accepted and treated nicely only if they meet a hundred, a thousand different counterintuitive non-instinctual non-physiological requirements every day without showing any signs of psychological distress (something instantly discouraged and then exponentially punished if they don't promptly learn to suck it up and obey.)   Like your (Nungali) school's insistence on the shirt being buttoned all the way to the top button so you feel mildly strangled at all times.  Just a constant reminder that if they choose to strangle you for real, they can, anytime.  Later, of course, the well-trained adult men wear ties serving the same purpose, while women are reminded who their bodies really belong to by an even wider array of part symbolic, part mildly (or occasionally severely) mutilating torture devices throughout their "productive" and "reproductive" years (and, out of habit and not knowing any better, often beyond.) 

I hope for a better future. Or like many people, I hope for some kind of miracle. And I see allot of those epic events happening, but it doesn't seem to change much. Sure good change, but not epic change for the better. It's stable and steady big improvement, but slow from my point of view. I see the soul constantly ahead of the planet, and planet very slowly coming back in alignment, and slowing the soul down tremendously, so there is still the vulnerability, that we may just need a global reset. Cause people keep ignoring their own emotions, out of ignorance and arrogance. So for me, it is alnist invisible. I cannot even comprehend the kind of self contradiction going on, if it were not for the fact that I do it aswell. Cause all the good people keep dying. And people seem to enjoy that. So I guess, they will also enjoy a global reset. As another epic offering of relief. Let them bombs fly. Like atlantis. 

What can I do about all of this? It should already be all good. Life should simply be good. As it should really. Honestly. Literally it should. We are suppose to already be in the "paradise" we keep pointing towards. Yet feel so slowly in our realisation of it all, as we keep pointing at this life and all the irrelevance we find here. That has nothing to do with our true nature, which is comoletely lost and forgotten, and people are not even interested in searching anymore. Cause they literally got no idea what they are looking for anymore. Just acting for the sake of acting, doing for the sake of doing.

But looking on the things which are improving, sure, we can say, we are moving in the right direction. Even tho sometimes a decline happens, it is atleast a decline that doesn't reach a point as low as it would have reached a while ago. So even in the declines we experience, it is becoming less. Like a baby learning to walk. Falling less. 

And yet, it feels wrong to say, we are all babies. Because where are the parents? If planet humanity is a baby. Where are the parents? Probably very few of them. If not, mother earth the last remaining one. Probably, even parents who have their own problems aswell. As above so below. 

So here we are, waiting for our parents to get their sht together, as we also try to get our sht together. So to speak. So no big improvements yet. Maybe behind the scene, maybe internally here and there, few individuals, here and there, always behind the scenes. For even the in front of scenes champions of this planet, are nothing but complete clueless idiots. But still, entertaining, while we wait for a big realisation. Always searching, but not yet finding big answers. Infact, if we do find big answers, it's still realised to be not very relevant after all. 

So really, looking at conditions in life, is not very helpful. Because most of the conditions really offer no real satisfaction. We create the satisfaction through our own internal understanding of our true nature. And it really requires allot of people, to be ready for a big change or shift. And those things are happening. But still not as noticable as most would like it to be. But internally, for sure. You can see, children nowadays are less likely to lose hope. So their life was somewhat better. And it keeps going on every generation. More hope every generation. Of more well being. More harmony. More freedom. And truth. Greater realisation. Small bits at a time. Every generation, more capable of retaining more truth, just a little bit more, and again, and again. Less likely to fall into ignorance, a little bit less likely, one after another, again and again. 

So slow, stable and steady improvement. So much is being done behind the scenes, by individuals which are literally not even physical. It's an energetic exchange, that's happening most of all. Allot of releasing of discordant energy, all over the planet. And the manifestations are ugly. And the clean up is good. Good work. Really, it brings us back to peace. As after the release, and ugly manifestation, we finally realise we are ready to let go of it forever. Done. We no longer need to experience that, and we know it, so we clean it up. Its done. Over. We let go of it. No longer need it. We now know what we rather want to be exploring, rather than that ugly thing of discordant self contradictory nature. 

So less pushing against. But still not quiet there. Still people feel drawn to protest. Instead of becoming a voice for something good. But more people are determined to follow their hearts joy and simply lead by example. No longer caring about blaming and pointing fingers, you know? Rather use their fingers to point at the path of least resistance towards the improvement. 

Allot of good people. But the bad people, they simply suffered allot, so ofcourse they become bad in a powerful way. That's what pain does. It amplifies your focus and consistency, even if it's in self contradiction. And yet, it all well intended. Sometimes even so well intended that people don't even realise the benefit of their own value, untill they die. They realise, oh, I did all of that for the benefit of all. I just didn't realise it yet, as I had no way of seeing the benefit for all. I forgot it somehow. So now all that I did, will be influencing people in a positive way. For otherwise, I would not even want to be physical in the first place. Yet, I didn't realise all that I want in my life. Only tried to. But now, I know what I truely want. And I understand everyone wants it. In their own unique way. Peace.  Whatever that means. And the better version of it, evermore. Evermore greatly realised. To simply accept life, in whatever way it exists. And trust the goodness of it. For the goodness it inspires at the very least. 

Then how hard is it, to let go of all things not wanted, if we know the thing we want? We already contain it, because we want it from within. We know we want it, because we are it in ourselves, we contain the knowing of it, the realisation of it, within ourselves. 

So the more people give up the fight, the more people will advance in peace. Does true power fear the opposite? Does true power prepare, for anything at all, ever? Does the invulnerable ever say, you are not capable of being loved? Does the true power not love everybody? Then why do people equate power to beings who act out of fear? Because they themselves know not true power. Because they have not realised it from within themselves. Often it happens through another individual, which simply causes them to feel absolute disgrace. To be so out of alignment with the very thing you have been wanting all of your life. That you just fall into shameful sorrow and grief. For no one can be like jesus, it seems. But atleast we try. To be a force of good. Not even knowing what that is. So we look underneath the sand, to find the dust of what was once a good long lost. People look inside their own dna. Too complicated. They look at the trees, and find pure life. Maybe the last remaining good thing. Of unconditional love. Not many of those either. 

So people meditate and seek more elemental consciousness to guide them. As water. If that is left still. So they retreat back to their soul. And meditate, to find the joy, that is eternal and infinite. As the breath of the Source of All Creation. As consciousness itself. And struggle is no more. Only unconditional love. And unconditional service to all. As a whole fully realised being, physical and non-physical, working hand in hand.

Everyone finds their own way of life. No one really wants to suffer. No one really wants to be in pain. Sure physical pain can be a bit offering of relief for some people, but no one really wants to suffer. So we're all good in our nature.

So simply enjoying your life in whatever way you can, for why else would we exist. If not for the joy of it. You can think otherwise, you'll just be suffering then. Cause if suffering was really our purpose, it would feel very good. 

Edited by Everything
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Taomeow said:

The term a-nun-na-ke-ne in the Sumerian language, what we pronounce "annunaki," is translated as "the Seed of the Master."  This term was used as a compound name for a number of gods varying from 7 to 600, depending on the source and period -- and they were worshipped for two and a half thousand years.  When the posterity and collaborators of the original 7 were included, the Seed of the Master referred to the mighty god Ninurta and his pals, all posterity of An (or Anu) and his son Enlil, the God of Influences (in modern times coyly translated as "winds"), and Enki (later Ea to Akkadians), the God of Water, knowledge, creation, mischief and deceit.  

Apparently the annunaki encountered competition later (in the second millenium B.C.) from the Babylonian "Master gods," called i-gi-gi-ne.  It's somewhat unclear who these new Masters were and what their status was, since some sources assert the igigi were masters over the annunaki themselves, while others argue that they were their servants.  

This is how the annunaki were typically depicted at the time.  (The one entry in the middle where someone wrote "Equador" needs further investigation -- the attribution appears to be false, even though the plumed thingies looking very similar are all over the pre-Inca and pre-Maya artifacts of South America I've seen with my own eyes in the museums of Peru, but I wouldn't vouch for this particular one that it's from the same source.)  It is interesting to note the repeating details -- wings, a bracelet with a disc on the wrist, the bucket and the pine cone which apparently is dipped into the bucket and then...  Well, don't ask me, my take is faaaaar oooooout...    

Lmao the last picture looks like he got caught stealing something. Like "I was gonna do this thing, but whaddaforaya looking at me like that?" 

The lower leg muscle and shin looks like an eye of horrus. 

Anyway continue! He dipped cone in water and? 

It became a monster tree and ate him or her or it? 

Edited by Everything

Some people have compared the 'handbags' to these carvings at Gobekli Tepe:

Gobekli-Tepe-hanbag.jpg

but others have suggested that these are symbols for sunrise/sunset.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I've heard the sun disk on the wrist is possibly a time traveling device?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... finally .... we're  OFF !

giphy.gif

Spoiler

Hey Taomeow ,  I noticed today that the girl  that booked me in to a resort had this tatt on her inner fore arm

81CMZk-BF+L._SX425_.jpg

I pointed at it and said  " Taomeow "  and she  "What ?"  

"Your tattoo ."  She looks at it and goes  " What ?"  

" I have been conversing with  someone called Taomeow lately ., it reminded me of her name . "

" Why "

" Your tattoo , two cats, one black one white in twinned in the Tao symbol  "   She looks again confused

" My cat tattoo   ???  ."

Oi veh !     B)      I suppose she just picked out the picture at the a tattoo shop because she liked it .

Edited by Nungali

2 hours ago, Apech said:

Some people have compared the 'handbags' to these carvings at Gobekli Tepe:

Gobekli-Tepe-hanbag.jpg

but others have suggested that these are symbols for sunrise/sunset.

Ah... the infamous Handbags of the Gods theme    :) 

ashleigh-canvas-tote-bag-original-of-oct

6 hours ago, mark said:

I've heard the sun disk on the wrist is possibly a time traveling device?

Hold on, I got distracted. WHAT THE ACTUAL F DUDE! HE'S WEARING A FKING ROLEX! 

O_O

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nungali said:

... finally .... we're  OFF !

giphy.gif

Reveal hidden contents

Hey Taomeow ,  I noticed today that the girl  that booked me in to a resort had this tatt on her inner fore arm

81CMZk-BF+L._SX425_.jpg

I pointed at it and said  " Taomeow "  and she  "What ?"  

"Your tattoo ."  She looks at it and goes  " What ?"  

" I have been conversing with  someone called Taomeow lately ., it reminded me of her name . "

" Why "

" Your tattoo , two cats, one black one white in twinned in the Tao symbol  "   She looks again confused

" My cat tattoo   ???  ."

Oi veh !     B)      I suppose she just picked out the picture at the a tattoo shop because she liked it .

Did the supermarket put weed in my coffee? Or have you just literally ascended the 7 heavens by taking the 13th step? 

One interesting question about early societies (early by standard historical narrative) i.e. Sumer, Egypt, Indus Valley, Ancient China is that the divine beings were depicted quite often as human with animal heads, or other body parts, wings, tails and so on.  Of course this goes way back - as cave painting show the same kind of iconography e.g. antlered man, lioness with human body and so on.  So the question is why?  Why is the divine seen in this way rather than the present rather abstract disembodied spirit and so on.

What people in those days meant by 'gods' is quite different to today.  And based more on 'seeing' than thought or abstract ideas.  Shamans see these kinds of figures.  How is it to be understood I wonder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Apech said:

One interesting question about early societies (early by standard historical narrative) i.e. Sumer, Egypt, Indus Valley, Ancient China is that the divine beings were depicted quite often as human with animal heads, or other body parts, wings, tails and so on.  Of course this goes way back - as cave painting show the same kind of iconography e.g. antlered man, lioness with human body and so on.  So the question is why?  Why is the divine seen in this way rather than the present rather abstract disembodied spirit and so on.

What people in those days meant by 'gods' is quite different to today.  And based more on 'seeing' than thought or abstract ideas.  Shamans see these kinds of figures.  How is it to be understood I wonder.

Behold this crazy-cool image of Śiva unearthed in Chattisgarh: his body is made up of animals and creatures -- he is Nature! His nose is a lizard; his mustache is two fish, his chin is a crab, his ears are peacocks, and there are many other faces and snakes all over him. The second image is a detail of the face. The third is the nether regions, where the phallus is a tortoise, and the two feet of the tortoise are the testicles.  What an insight!! 

1239444_10153184190030615_15464056_n.jpg

548355_10153184190665615_1707366543_n.jpg

1173870_10153184191400615_352552734_n.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Apech said:

Well, I have been BOTH applauded and mocked for  comparing my modern observations of  aspects in ancient Australian cultures with earlier (but later )  Euro cultures ( Plaeo and Neo lithic ) , tha is , some think it is a valid comparison and others dont .

Anyway, I think a large part is animal totems .  In the dreamtime all the animals act like humans . Also, my teacher is a 'Guran' a ring tailed possom .  of course he is a man , but he is really a possum .  Its a longer explanation, I can explain more ... if you want , later ... gotta split soon, sun is up.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Anyway, I think a large part is animal totems .  In the dreamtime all the animals act like humans . Also, my teacher is a 'Guran' a ring tailed possom .  of course he is a man , but he is really a possum .  Its a longer explanation, I can explain more ... if you want , later ... gotta split soon, sun is up.

Yes, I'd like to hear the Australian version as presented by your teacher.  (But please, if you have to post moving pictures, use the "hide contents" feature -- some people find it undeservedly punitive to have to read anything while something is inescapably spazzing out in their field of vision.  The only person I ever blocked on this site merited such unusual attention from me because of his signature that was...  well, nevermind what it was, but it was spazzing out uncontrollably under each and every one of his posts.)

I know of a few ways a human being can be "really" an animal, or even four animals in taoism, or six if you expand the net to catch the "conception" and "death" animals rather than just the life animals.  Probably more, but I only know how to catch six.    

I am three species and one of them is a tiger if you go with the taoist way to find out -- which is pretty darn accurate and can work things out indirectly for anyone who can't access "dreamtime" directly.  But from dreamtime I know it's really a snow leopard.  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3