sean

Proposed simplification of forums

6 minutes ago, Apech said:

Shankara = Advaita Vedanta?

Ah, yes, I just didn't recognize the spelling.  So, no problem there either?  I am not a bit expert on things Hindu/Vedic (used to know them better but am very rusty).  Way back when, I did sing (though only in my car) this awesome chant --

Shambho Shankara namah Shivaaya
Girijaa Shankara namah Shivaaya
Arunaachala Shiva namah Shivaaya
Om namah shivaya...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Apech said:

Hindu and Indian mean more or less the same thing - reference Indus (beyond the river).

Hgggh ...   hhhhgghhhh    ... nope, cant get it  ....    Sssss indu .

Sindu .... 

Then Alexander ( the great one )  misspelled it ;   moved the S

Indus >  Sindu .

'Indian religions' - would cover also Buddhism, Jainism, Ajivikas, Sikhism ... plus a whole host of others.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Apech said:

Hindu and Indian mean more or less the same thing - reference Indus (beyond the river).

Dear Apech sir, 

Being open to correction, I've always assumed Hinduism's an umbrella term for the myriad religions that originates from that region, whereas Indian is a descriptive term for a specific race of people, and also for the purpose of citizenry. An Indian by race may not necessarily be a Hindu, while most Hindus are Indians, if that makes any sense. I have friends who practice Hinduism who are not Indians, and also some Indian ones who are  Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jains, atheists, agnostics, free thinkers. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, C T said:

Dear Apech sir, 

Being opened to correction, I've always assumed Hinduism's an umbrella term for the myriad religions that originates from that region, whereas Indian is a descriptive term for a specific race of people, and also for the purpose of citizenry. An Indian by race may not necessarily be a Hindu, while most Hindus are Indians, if that makes any sense. I have friends who practice Hinduism who are not Indians, and also some who are  Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jains, atheists, agnostics, free thinkers. 

See my links to the etymology above - the words have the same origin.

The issue being is that if you say Hinduism you exclude Buddhism etc.  because of the way that word has been (ab)used.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Apech said:

See my links to the etymology above - the words have the same origin.

The issue being is that if you say Hinduism you exclude Buddhism etc.  because of the way that word has been (ab)used.

Yes, etymologically it would be right, but practically it may cause some confusion to say they basically mean the same thing - at least thats me confused, hence the need for clarification. Cheers. 

• Like 2

On 11/08/2019 at 2:51 AM, liminal_luke said:

Then why stay?

and why keep sending in guy after guy saying similar stuff ?

... I guess now they hoping to start it up all over again .

lets not forget the big picture and  CONTEXT  with this one .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, C T said:

Dear Apech sir, 

Being opened to correction, I've always assumed Hinduism's an umbrella term for the myriad religions that originates from that region, whereas Indian is a descriptive term for a specific race of people, and also for the purpose of citizenry. An Indian by race may not necessarily be a Hindu, while most Hindus are Indians, if that makes any sense. I have friends who practice Hinduism who are not Indians, and also some Indian ones who are  Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jains, atheists, agnostics, free thinkers. 

That's what I thought too.

• Like 2

On 11/08/2019 at 3:23 AM, Earl Grey said:

Makes me wonder if a section just for Mo Pai should be made for all mentions and discussion of the topic to be there, all things considered. 

Anyway, moving forward...

How about a Mo pie section that only says one thing

'For mopai go to mopai forum  ... I mean , the DO have one , dont they ?

If so, why the claim that peeps come here for Mo pai  ... give your forum a name that can be easily spotted and will appear at the top of a google search

( sheesh, it aint that hard to figure out is it ? )

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mskied said:

Id like to say that, if Im not mistaken, the "New Age" movement is something that was devised by Crowley, as he set forth a turning of the cosmic calendar, declaring that the Age has turned, at least that is what I have seen in my research.  Crowley is all over the place, and so too then would the New Age movement.  This movement is not without benefice to older methods, as Crowley incorporated a lot of their wisdom and way into his own "new" system- which is actually just leading people to Qabalah.  In essence the "New Age" is retelling of Jewish mysticism molded around ritual and method of "magick" ceremony and meditative practice that incorporates everything it can get its hands on.  In light of this, it is great for a synthetic bridge between systems, but the system that Crowley actually and actively proposed was personal, so that means that things will be very messy.  That being said, it is probably best to keep western mysticism/occult-Golden Dawn/Thelema in a separate forum to allay any arguing with people of more established pathworking.

New 'AEON'   Crowley was on about . 

If you read his idea about it , it is nothing like the  NEW AGE ... which was originally started from ideas about 'The Age of Aquarius' .

Which was supposed to start from a planetary alignment that occurred way before the Equinoctial Point moved into the Constellation of Aquarius  anyway .  So its all BS .

Remember the song ?

And if people think we are IN the 'new age ' , I suppose they can see the obvious ...

Harmony and understanding
Sympathy and trust abounding
No more falsehoods or derisions
Golden living dreams of visions
Mystic crystal revelation
And the mind's true liberation

all around us everpresent everywhere  ?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, C T said:

Yes, etymologically it would be right, but practically it may cause some confusion to say they basically mean the same thing - at least thats me confused, hence the need for clarification. Cheers. 

Yes you are right - I was being purist - but perhaps that's not helpful.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

I am surprised there is not a martial art section...Tao of the fist.  After all this is the broadsword (Dao) Bums.

Sword play anyone? I enjoy walking on the seven stars as the fairy points the way.

More Pie being mentioned is hilarious. Summer on TDB gotta love it. Conflict and struggle reign supreme at least nature is not conflicted or struggling itself over change.

Its a dying art .

WLI4S3M23VDXZHBGFURDPCGYAI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Apech said:

'Indian religions' - would cover also Buddhism, Jainism, Ajivikas, Sikhism ... plus a whole host of others.

Yes, its the same here; there is no 'Aboriginal religion'  but many different Aboriginal  spiritual traditions .

It doesnt stop people generalising though .

38 minutes ago, C T said:

Dear Apech sir, 

Being open to correction, I've always assumed Hinduism's an umbrella term for the myriad religions that originates from that region, whereas Indian is a descriptive term for a specific race of people, and also for the purpose of citizenry. An Indian by race may not necessarily be a Hindu, while most Hindus are Indians, if that makes any sense. I have friends who practice Hinduism who are not Indians, and also some Indian ones who are  Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jains, atheists, agnostics, free thinkers. 

Cepting no such thing as race either    ;)

India does encompass various ethnic groups though, and NOT a specific one .

As is with ALL things like that .... it is a political / national concept .  You are Indian if you have citizenship in India .

I hope this is making it all much easier for Sean

B)

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Yes, its the same here; there is no 'Aboriginal religion'  but many different Aboriginal  spiritual traditions .

It doesnt stop people generalising though .

Maybe we should just have Daoist, General and Non-Daoist.  If simplicity is the goal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Apech said:

Maybe we should just have Daoist, General and Non-Daoist.  If simplicity is the goal.

Ahh, ta hell with it . Just have

Christian

Pagan .

( Thats how we used to sort this problem out  :)  )

• Haha 1

Anyway , I suggest any further pleading to  make the forum confirm to one's personal likes be accompanied by said appropriate gif :

source.gif

1 minute ago, C T said:

But thats still 3 ways! Further distillation required. :lol:

yeah but  .....   Nungali Law of 3    ;)

Oh ... opps .. I mean

Oooo cant we just have at east 3  purleeeeze

source.gif

2 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Ahh, ta hell with it . Just have

Christian

Pagan .

( Thats how we used to sort this problem out  :)  )

How about:

1. Christian truth

2.  Vile heretical Devil worshippers

Thus is like sitting in on a Commune Meeting .

So , as usual, at this stage  ....

< sneaks out back door >

Since we don't always know the truth - I think there should be one category called 'Stuff'.