manitou

Does the soul know the difference?

7 minutes ago, manitou said:

You didn't play dominos with him?

Dominos is so past, Manitou. In recent times, God & the Devil have started liking chess & poker, it seems. 

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, C T said:

Quick question to anyone in the know: Would copying images (like the one above) be construed as rights infringement? 

Its a stock photo with watermark - so I don't think so.  But then I am no expert.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Apech said:

Its a stock photo with watermark - so I don't think so.  But then I am no expert.

Its just that when the link's opened, it says photo subject to copyright. Hence the cautiousness. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, C T said:

Dominos is so past, Manitou. In recent times, God & the Devil have started liking chess & poker, it seems. 

It just seemed like the nice priest was asking you to play. 

Why is it that a lot of people laugh at seeing some one else trip over something, or accidentally hit themself in the face with a fly swatter, that kind of thing? I’ve heard it’s because of a “glad it’s not me,” or “I’ve been there,” effect. I wonder if there’s also some initial jolt similar to “fight or flight,” or, “am I going to have to give first aid here?” but the mind very quickly figures out that everything’s okay and releases the energy in a fun way. Maybe it’s just so purely unexpected and absurd. 

Might violence seen in games and other entertainment work on some related principle? Depending on the level of gritty realism, of course, and sense of intent (comedy vs horror vs heroics). Like if the souls totally does know the difference after all, and it’s a good thing to be able to laugh at something that, if happening in real life, would be appalling.

I dunno.

Spoiler

I did find this video hilarious. The situations enacted are horrible! But just cartooney enough to be a good time. Strange.

Spoiler

Actually the more times I watch that, the worse it makes me feel! I think at first I was mostly focusing on the voice, as I like his other videos, and just how weird it was because I hadn't seen much of the new VR interactive.

Edited by Nintendao
font size does weird things when using the mobile version
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nintendao said:

Why is it that a lot of people laugh at seeing some one else trip over something, or accidentally hit themself in the face with a fly swatter, that kind of thing? I’ve heard it’s because of a “glad it’s not me,” or “I’ve been there,” effect. I wonder if there’s also some initial jolt similar to “fight or flight,” or, “am I going to have to give first aid here?” but the mind very quickly figures out that everything’s okay and releases the energy in a fun way. Maybe it’s just so purely unexpected and absurd. 

Laughter is interesting in that all the muscles involved in producing it are the same as the muscles that produce crying, weeping and sobbing.  It's the physiological equivalent of our species' reaction to being upset or hurt -- with a psychological twist: upset about something that could hurt me but didn't.  

If you ever observed a young infant when, e.g., mom or dad pretend threaten her -- I'm gonna get you -- aiming two fingers with mock menace and then gently poking or tickling her belly -- you probably observed the origins of laughter.  The baby's first reaction is to get ready to cry -- threat, fear! -- but simultaneously the source of the threat is recognized as non-threatening (it's just mommy/daddy), the danger is assessed and found not really dangerous -- and she proceeds to laugh.  We refine this reaction to happenings that are "scary, potentially hurtful to me, but not really" as we grow older, to include many situations where something bad is happening or a mistake is being made that does not "really" affect us personally, and call it a sense of humor.  Sometimes it's just an involuntary reaction (when watching a slapstick comedy or a real-life happening along its lines), sometimes it evolves into a refined sense of irony, satire, etc. -- but it's still about that hand play-tickling our stomach that could easily, in a different context, snap our neck.       

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

Laughter is interesting in that all the muscles involved in producing it are the same as the muscles that produce crying, weeping and sobbing.  It's the physiological equivalent of our species' reaction to being upset or hurt -- with a psychological twist: upset about something that could hurt me but didn't.  

If you ever observed a young infant when, e.g., mom or dad pretend threaten her -- I'm gonna get you -- aiming two fingers with mock menace and then gently poking or tickling her belly -- you probably observed the origins of laughter.  The baby's first reaction is to get ready to cry -- threat, fear! -- but simultaneously the source of the threat is recognized as non-threatening (it's just mommy/daddy), the danger is assessed and found not really dangerous -- and she proceeds to laugh.  We refine this reaction to happenings that are "scary, potentially hurtful to me, but not really" as we grow older, to include many situations where something bad is happening or a mistake is being made that does not "really" affect us personally, and call it a sense of humor.  Sometimes it's just an involuntary reaction (when watching a slapstick comedy or a real-life happening along its lines), sometimes it evolves into a refined sense of irony, satire, etc. -- but it's still about that hand play-tickling our stomach that could easily, in a different context, snap our neck.       

Was just discussing the laugh/cry relation, and how due to repeated trauma a "sense of humor" can become a bit "twisted." Although in actuality it seems to be a way of processing and slow healing. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 4:39 PM, Nintendao said:

It's gotta at least be a factor. Many a Tetris whiz has grown up to be some kind of engineer. I'm sure lots of kids out there signed up for Karate class due in part to an interest Street Fighter II. Back in '99 the original Columbine massacre punks were well known to be huge fans of Doom. The games out today are more intense and realistic. These are probably "chicken-or-egg" examples, though, as people already predisposed to violence would naturally like violent games way too much. It's not the games that made the person violent. It feeds off of each other though. To feel the satisfaction and sheer power of the click-click-Boom of a virtual shotgun makes even the nerdliest among us wonder what the real thing might be like. All that being said, I'd agree that it's not fair to vilify the games themselves, but are definitely yet another thing to keep an eye on.

One thing I find really sad is since so many parents these days both have to work full time just to make ends meet, and the kid is too often left exposed to fend for themselves in a lot of ways.

On this point I quickly descend right back into the ongoing struggles with economics, politics, media, gun control, mental health, you name it :(

I think @silent thunder has again hit on something deeper than any of this, how humanity has simply grown too huge to be able to exist without some small percentage of it destroying itself through various evil..

everything MUST experience the birth /death duality . Nothing escapes it and we can clearly see it in every day life. Im an old guy and see it very clearly . Single parents , working moms dead beat dads, etc etc. It wasn't like this in the 50's Women tend to family and husbands made the money . It was perfect tht way . 

Our society as a whole is dying fast. Its almost dead compared to how it was before. Billionaires everywhere, and poor people on the streets in the tens of thousands . 

Its started out great and very workable . There were only a few millionaires like JP Getty and Howard hughes the Kennedys etc etc . . Now there are multi billionaires in the thousands in every city and country .

The young generation today is see the death of society and the rise of destructive AI computers taking control of humanity  . Control that will require the total collapse of civilization to defeat. 

Nasa and the pentagon are ripping off americans every moment of every day with "secret  multi billion dollar projects that they cant talk about and no you cant see the accounting costs because its national security . We have to just "trust" them and the private contractors they spend our money on. 

We are paid slaves who pay the slave masters to protect us from threats they say are real but we have no way to know if they are real or are scams they they profit from . They are on the top of the justice system and there is no one we can go to above them to make a complaint. 

It all started in 1776 and is way out of control now . Nasa gets 50 mill a day every day for making fake movies about space travel . WE cant go to space and we never have been able to go to space. Its a perfect crime in progress today . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yang said:

everything MUST experience the birth /death duality . Nothing escapes it and we can clearly see it in every day life. Im an old guy and see it very clearly . Single parents , working moms dead beat dads, etc etc. It wasn't like this in the 50's Women tend to family and husbands made the money . It was perfect tht way . 

Our society as a whole is dying fast. Its almost dead compared to how it was before. Billionaires everywhere, and poor people on the streets in the tens of thousands . 

Its started out great and very workable . There were only a few millionaires like JP Getty and Howard hughes the Kennedys etc etc . . Now there are multi billionaires in the thousands in every city and country .

The young generation today is see the death of society and the rise of destructive AI computers taking control of humanity  . Control that will require the total collapse of civilization to defeat. 

Nasa and the pentagon are ripping off americans every moment of every day with "secret  multi billion dollar projects that they cant talk about and no you cant see the accounting costs because its national security . We have to just "trust" them and the private contractors they spend our money on. 

We are paid slaves who pay the slave masters to protect us from threats they say are real but we have no way to know if they are real or are scams they they profit from . They are on the top of the justice system and there is no one we can go to above them to make a complaint. 

It all started in 1776 and is way out of control now . Nasa gets 50 mill a day every day for making fake movies about space travel . WE cant go to space and we never have been able to go to space. Its a perfect crime in progress today . 

I think that's a fairly presential view of america, things have never really been Good wholesale. I'm pretty sure the entire trajectory of america and other societies in the west have been engineered and balanced, in an almost scientific way. Your response is almost dissonant in a way, because you close with an observation about how relatively integral facets of this society are manufactured/illusory 

In regards to the post you were replying to, I dont think humanity has grown too large or that overpopulation is anything more than illusion. I think it's just artificial systems of orchestrated conflict and scarcity 

Idk, I feel like both responses fail to acknowledge the general goodness of human nature and how what's often being presented in polarized portrayals in the media is a result of heavy conditioning 

• Like 1

Kind of fun periodically to transcend all of it and realize that all us world citizens are one beast, and it's like the tentacles of a giant squid are all fighting with each other.  Not realizing it's all the same thing.

• Like 2

it may seem to be getting better but I have time and age to reflect on. It's getting worse in ways that are unfathomable to begin to describe.  I have a whole lifetime of experience to compare then and now to . If it were getting better I would say it was. There's nothing in it for me to say otherwise .

Sure, there are benefits we have today , we didn't have before but the entropy of all things must have its way  no matter what  . People begin at birth fresh and healthy but eventually die off old and sick in some way. This birth towards death sequence applies to all living things and the societies they live within.  I guess you haven't noticed.

There are benefits of old age too and many of them . What ever goes up must come down and whoever is born must die.  This rule of duality applies to everything and every one . Not just people .

ALL positive attributes move towards their negative attribute. No exceptions. 

Take a little time or set aside some time and take a look at natural law. Laws don't just apply to certain things but not others, depending on one's desires on any given day . They apply to everything and every one every day no matter what we do or say . Hey that rhymes !

I've lived in the past and the present long enough to see a dying nation and world when I see it. It's very obvious and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to change it . Fukushima , fascism , gov corruption,  the list is long. 

I wish there was a way.  Pretending it's not happening won't make me young again, make things that go up stay up , or take us all back to the 50's.

What's your take on the subject  ? getting better as we go ?

I'm very optimistic but i'm more into being honest with myself than having blind optimism.

Edited by Yang
typos
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Yang said:

it may seem to be getting better but I have time and age to reflect on. It's getting worse in ways that are unfathomable to begin to describe.  I have a whole lifetime of experience to compare then and now to . If it were getting better I would say it was. There's nothing in it for me to say otherwise .

Sure, there are benefits we have today , we didn't have before but the entropy of all things must have its way  no matter what  . People begin at birth fresh and healthy but eventually die off old and sick in some way. This birth towards death sequence applies to all living things and the societies they live within.  I guess you haven't noticed.

There are benefits of old age too and many of them . What ever goes up must come down and whoever is born must die.  This rule of duality applies to everything and every one . Not just people .

Take a little time or set aside some time and take a look at natural law. Laws don't just apply to certain things but not others, depending on one's desires on any given day . They apply to everything and every one every day no matter what we do or say . Hey that rhymes !

I've lived in the past and the present long enough to see a dying nation and world when I see it. It's very obvious and there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to change it . Fukushima , fascism , gov corruption,  the list is long. 

I wish there was a way.  Pretending it's not happening won't make me young again, make things that go up stay up , or take us all back to the 50's.

I'm very optimistic but i'm more into being honest with myself than having blind optimism.

This is the dichotomy  of enlightened thought, lol.  The enlightened mind makes no evaluation of goodness or badness, but it is so easy to do so!  It amuses me (as I wrote above) that we are actually warring and arguing with ourselves.  I'm guessing that "it" knows what it's doing, although not obviously.  Realizing I was an alcoholic 39 years ago was the worst day of my life.  But later I realized that it was the best day of my life.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Yang said:

I think you're viewing the past and present with a kinda myopic scope- maybe the lenses of youth and the popular culture of that time distorted your view of just how good And bad things were in the past compared to the present

I think humanity has dealt with relatively the same set of problems in cycles, yknow that quote from the bible that says something to the effect of "there's nothing new under the sun", and life and death itself

It wasnt my view that things are getting better, just that it's not as polarized as you're making it out to be, in my opinion. I was saying that humanity itself is still relatively unchanged, just the control or indoctrination or influence of modern society is different and more all-encompassing

I had a thought today. I noticed that a number of friendships I've had in the past have ended on an "apocalyptic" note. Friends who were so convinced that we were in the end times and/or that there was some great event of upheaval afoot. I simply disagreed with them in light terms and it made them froth at the mouth kinda. I wasnt even negating the existence of the "negative/unfavorable" parts of modern life that they were talking about, I just said how things weren't so polarized and that it wasnt the end of the world. In every instance there was no grand finale, they simply held to their belief and stopped contacting me- only for me to see them years/months later and none of their "truth" or "prophecy" had come to pass

My take is kinda airy and lacking polarity. I think things are mostly Okay

People tend to view the world surrounding them as they view themselves, not literally all of the time- though I've noticed when someone is "going through it" they tend to lash out at others/the world at large more than usual

Idk about optimism or blind optimism. I struggle with accepting and/or understanding certain people, places, things and phenomena, same as most people- I just make sure to do the things that bring me joy and I avoid tv/news stories/negativity

• Like 1

I think life found a way already and it's woven into the fabric of reality . Everything starts positive and ends negative.   Which is very positive.   Nothing ever stays the same that way.

If everything stayed the same all the time. Nothing would change . Very dull. like watching the same movie 100 times in a row.  You end up wanting to through the TV set out the window.  Waking up in the AM is very positive but like all things. We eventually go to sleep .

Its a series of directional spectrums in motion that all begin positive and end negative in some way .  Each spectrum different but all going in the same directions. Birth towards death , wake towards sleep. The effect is never the cause . The cause is never the effect. 

When one civilization and society begins and dies off , a new civilization and society begins.

Life found a way and its in use today . New towards old . Wake towards sleep, birth towards death , Young towards old and up towards down . That's life .

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, manitou said:

This is the dichotomy  of enlightened thought, lol.  The enlightened mind makes no evaluation of goodness or badness, but it is so easy to do so!  It amuses me (as I wrote above) that we are actually warring and arguing with ourselves.  I'm guessing that "it" knows what it's doing, although not obviously.  Realizing I was an alcoholic 39 years ago was the worst day of my life.  But later I realized that it was the best day of my life.

I'm pretty sure that being in a state of " no evaluation " , for too long becomes dull.  What if a person were to be in a state of " no evaluation " for an eternity . What a dull existence. that would be. Being at war or some less hostile form of games play is much more satisfying . Especially when you win and lose 50% of the time. Winning all the time , every time or most of the time is no fun. Same for losing. Both must be experienced to have maximum fun.

The state of " no evaluation " would not allow you to take any side, good or bad. Just sit there is a trance like condition without emotion. Sounds great for a human to do but not all the time. It's a great way to de-stress in meditation but I wouldn't want to live that way and wouldn't be able to live that way for very long.  Only from time to time. Then back into the rat race. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:59 PM, manitou said:

Buying a sailboat was the best day of my life. Later, selling my sailboat became the best day of my life. Having my 2 children were the bests days of my life. Letting them go when they became adults became the best day of my life.  I have alot of best days just like yours.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yang said:

I'm pretty sure that being in a state of " no evaluation " , for too long becomes dull.  What if a person were to be in a state of " no evaluation " for an eternity . What a dull existence. that would be. Being at war or some less hostile form of games play is much more satisfying . Especially when you win and lose 50% of the time. Winning all the time , every time or most of the time is no fun. Same for losing. Both must be experienced to have maximum fun.

The state of " no evaluation " would not allow you to take any side, good or bad. Just sit there is a trance like condition without emotion. Sounds great for a human to do but not all the time. It's a great way to de-stress in meditation but I wouldn't want to live that way and wouldn't be able to live that way for very long.  Only from time to time. Then back into the rat race. 

My perspective is a bit different. This is a common misconception but inaccurate. I base this mainly on my own experience. Non-judgmental awareness is perfectly capable of experiencing emotion, pleasure, any experience whatsoever. There’s nothing wrong with experience, it’s what our mind does with it. If we let go of the judgment, we can actually experience things more fully and without the interference of the chatter and the judgment. Ever notice the fullness and authenticity of emotions, happy and sad, that we see in highly advanced practitioners? We can also let things go and be open for the next experience without baggage. 

Just the opinions of a beginner on the path.

Cheers

• Like 2

I suppose defining what the Soul is would be a good start. The second concern would be to determine the Soul's concern with differences. In Daoism, the mind and heart are the same. Meridians are conduits used to circulate energy and blood. Physiologically, I would say there is an electrical current caused by the exchange of ions + and - circulating around the myelin sheath of a nerve. You might call this Chi. When there is a blockage via constricted muscle tissue, the electrical impulse cannot get through or proceed smoothly. There is blockage causing toxicity, pain, and weariness. The healing can occur through relaxation, acupuncture, or possibly massage, or Tai Chi. 

O.K. with that being said, I do not know if there is a Soul. I associate this word with religion ands dualistic thinking. I have thought on the process of death and what happens. I think that death of a human being is much like a worn out car engine with too many miles on it. It just stops. Nothing leaves the engines, and the engine does not wonder about the difference from activity or inactivity. 

46 minutes ago, ऋषि said:

Death is like this.  Once you go through the process in a first hand way, you will know what happens... 

My mother was very sick for a long, long period of time. My sister who was present told me mom requested to be taken of life support. She knew that she was "very sick" and did not want to go on any longer.

A very dear friend of mine knew that he was dying from cancer. Over time, he faded away. But I don't think that he was aware of his final moments. I think that there is a moment when there is a lack of conscious awareness when you are only breaths away from ceasing to breath. 

I have been an observer when patients were in Hospice for a time and then they were gone. I have never experienced death myself. But I hope that I am not aware of it. 

These are my experiences. 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:28 AM, steve said:

My perspective is a bit different. This is a common misconception but inaccurate. I base this mainly on my own experience. Non-judgmental awareness is perfectly capable of experiencing emotion, pleasure, any experience whatsoever. There’s nothing wrong with experience, it’s what our mind does with it. If we let go of the judgment, we can actually experience things more fully and without the interference of the chatter and the judgment. Ever notice the fullness and authenticity of emotions, happy and sad, that we see in highly advanced practitioners? We can also let things go and be open for the next experience without baggage. 

Just the opinions of a beginner on the path.

Cheers

almost anyone can go from non judgemental to taking sides in a argument or an opinion , but its not a consant state of being. This is my point .

Change  is a positive and non change or stuck is its negative pole .  Its change / no change. 

I doubt life is stuck in a state of constant  non judgemental awareness. It's like winning at every game every time all the time every single time. It's no fun . 

winning  a positive state and losing is its negative state 

change is a positive attribute and stuck or no change is its neg.pole. 

to win all the time becomes a constant stuck state of being and becomes no fun and negative. . 

I think life lives through us all and uses us to take sides , to win and to lose. and to have fun like a puppet master. 

ONLY ! a single   soul for everybody ,  but many forms of life . When any of us die , our soul does not leave the body . Our body leaves the single soul like a leaf drops off a tree and all of the memory of that body dies with it . Past life memory is past body DNA memory from our parents and their parents and so on .

Everything we see hear taste smell touch comes the single soul and goes back to the single soul through all forms of life.  

That's what I see from my POV. We all have different POV's . The single soul likes it this way because  " the 1 " soul lives through us all .

Its BIO towards geo . 

heaven is mostly BIO and earth is mostly geo .

our bodies are part bio and part geo .There isn't a third. 

We are the pupets tha life plays with and through. 

There was only a single soul in the beginning and that same single soul is here now and lives its life through all forms of life . 

Mutipal souls is an illusion created by the single soul to have playmates to play with when its actually all comeing from and going to the same single soul . The creator of everything and every one 

My soul  is your soul and our souls are the 1's soul and everyBODY else's soul . 

• Like 1

On 12-10-2019 at 5:09 AM, Yang said:

It is getting better, it's just that the better it gets, the less you like it. Cause you're focused on the better of other people, and temporarily ignoring and forgetting the better of you, every single new here and now moment. Which is even getting better evermore.

Old is not death, it just life and more life. New life.

Ilness, disease and accidents are just excuses for beings to let go of their body, move way beyond it and the need for it, as otherwise their loved ones wont easily let go of the need for their physical body, they want them to stay even tho they are ready to go, or their loved ones don't want them to leave their physical body, so they simply decide that they leave it anyway in a more epic way like become pile of blood and hopefully they wont mind you leaving the body then.

Except that your body is but a tiny part of all that you are. And what you are observing is merely the valuable contrast of endless variety that gives you the freedom to focus on the moreness of that which you prefer. That contrast is simply a function of your consciousness ability to focus. It's not a duality. Unless you start focusing in opposition to your own soul and then feel bad about things that are in reality actually enjoyed by many other people.

Not entirely true because when you think of a "negative" attribute, it is actually simply an opposite positive attribute, that the two are joined together in their mutual positive commonality of being the exact identical opposite and thus perfect mutual compatibility together or with one another. It's simply an ever expanding love. Ever expanding consciousness. Being and becoming evermore here and now.

But when you look at positive attributes that have got nothing to do with you and then you misunderstand them, and use the misunderstanding as your excuse to beat up on your self. Then you might aswell flip the switch by simply exploding. It's not natural. And absolutely not necessary.

And it rhymes to point out that you cannot escape your own desire. And this law that you are speaking about, which is an unchanging law of existance, is the very thing that is supporting the growth of your desire even as we speak. And that desire of yours is so big, that you would need several life times to even explain what's in there. And you cannot escape it, the energy which creates worlds is building every single thing in your life around the fulfillment of all of these desires held by your own greater non-physical consciousness for you. And for you alone. Everyone individually. And you co-created all of it, before this life during and you will also during and also after.  but most often many humans do it unconsciously. So they have no idea where their desire is. Even tho it is all around them. And becoming evermore. They just need to find a way to look for it where it already is. Fine tuning their energy motional tendencies aligning with their greater non-physical consciousness to allow for their natural joyous realisation evermore here and now. To be do or have anything and everything they can so desire. Cause it's all a done deal. Just gotta feel good about it and it's yours to recognize in ever expanding full blown manifestational evidence all around being and becoming evermore.

Since every single new here and now moment, is a new here and now moment, unlike any that has ever been before it or will ever be like it ever again, do you say you have died? Because if you do. Then you can have a nice conversation about this.

Yeah you don't have to worry about the ups of your life, because while you were going down, your greater non-physical consciousness, remained up there. Becoming evermore for you, with you, through you, as all that you want to be do or have, and has become the evermoreness of it for you, so you cannot escape that what is up and infinitely more. It is inevitable and as certain as "death and taxes" as they say. But what you can do is beat yourself up temporarily for being temporarily not "up" there. Even tho you are an inseperable extension of your own greater non-physical consciousness. So you can always feel your energy motional relativity to your own "soul" if you wanna call it that. And you will thus also naturally come to realise, it has never been up there, it is ALWAYS unconditionally, under any and all conditions, regardless of any and all conditions, ALWAYS right here and now for you, with you, through you, and as you.

Yeah but most people have no idea untill they die.

Then you are using your perception to perceive all the things that make you blind, more up closely. And as you rather follow your emotional guidance system, you will find it very easy to make much wiser decisions. Based on how things feel, not how they appear or should be or how you've been used to thinking about them. That's not where your wisdom is. Your soul holds your wisdom for you. You can feel your energy motional relativitiy to your soul. Where everything you want to be do or have is.

Edited by Everything

2 hours ago, Everything said:

everything starts as positive energy and ends up as Negative solid mass

It's the birth towards death spectrum, known as white towards black 

people places , songs, you name it . It starts well and ends horrible. 

In the beginning there was only positive energy and from there is ends up as a round solid massive object with 5 dimension.

It began flat with 1 dimension and ends up as a 5d ball.  EVERYTHING and there are no exceptions.

everything we see hear smell taste and feel has 5 dimensions. 

They start at 1 ( white ) and end in 5 ( black ) YANG towards yin  ALWAYS.

:  ) 

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 11.15.46.png

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 11.16.19.png