sean

No more right-wing bullshit.

2 minutes ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

Right now across top of page is: "No more right-wing bullshit." which looks very "political".

Are all other kind of "bullshit" okay?

And does "right wing" mean the exact same thing in every country and area seeing this forum?

I never did read any of the politics type of posts here. 

I joined to participate "explicitly in the context of Taoism and/or spirituality."

But I can participate in this new discussion by stating that I am sorry people got into contention about political things here and maybe hurt each other or confused each other with that.

Are people now being ask to take up a specific political stance drawn from American Politics situations in order to discuss Taoism here?

Is it still okay to "just" or "merely" discuss Taoism here?

Or must we discuss Taoism from, for example, a Maoist or Leninist dialectic or political bias?

Or should the discussion of Taoism merely be anti "Trump"?

I have never had any political views, but I did study much about Taoism and am in many other groups online which also discussing this and related topics.

I have not joined any forums of political discussions and have little experience or knowledge of them.

I know that I am not important here and also will never get any political stuff right as people believe in or want to or not, etc.

So I will just do as always and watch the flow of discussion and try to go by whatever rules or restrictions (or now, politics?) are necessary to discuss Taoism here.

I have no wish to offend anyone.

Please advise.

-VonKrankenhaus

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, manitou said:

I remember how much I enjoyed the forum before it broke up into so many smaller specialized sections.  Part of the problem might be of fermentation; folks sticking with the same topic category and not exposing themselves to other viewpoints.  When folks are talking to each other under the same umbrella, day after day, maybe things get a little rank.

Funny you should mention that. I'm wanting to propose a rather significant consolidation and simplification of the forums soon.

Sean

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Every man must struggle with himself.

Surrounded by darkness it easy to let the lower nature manifest in you.

It comes with many excuses and blindnesses.

All are the same.

Others cannot protect you from what you will do and not do.

Disillusionment is assured.

• Like 3

Like vonKrankenhaus,, I have not really participated in the political threads. That is not what I come here for. The internet is rife with sites where political rants abound ... from both sides. TDB does not need to be one of them.

It is an unfortunate fact of the current environment that the baser aspects of human nature have become so dominant. This did not hsppen over night.  it's been coming for a long time. I would just as soon see all such activity be shut down if it can't be civil. We seem to not be able to rise above it.

Still, I think there may be a place on this site for discussion of issue ... without mentioning the names of those that support or oppose them. One thing TDB does fairly well is have meaningful discussion on ideas and issues surrounding them. If we could have similar discussion on social issues, the kind of discussion that helps people find their way, find their position on such topics, that might be worthwhile. What would such a site look like:

• Foul language would be strictly prohibited
  • Denigrative speech prohibited, whether it is about people or issues
  • Name calling and labeling others prohibited

There are those that will argue that this violates freedom of speech. Perhaps so, in a strict sense. But what we have devolved to is not what the spirit of freedom of speech intended. Like my grandmother used to say ... If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. Ideas should not be advanced by by these negative means ... that's the kind of restiction that leads to meaningful discussion. It's called civility.

It seems this is a defining moment for TDB. One where the ultimate fate of the site is in balance. Following this recent turn of events, it may not be possible for TDB to return to the way it was. But that does not mean that we can't learn from this experience and that a better site cannot emerge from the turmoil. Perhaps a discussion thread on what an ideal site looks like would be helpful in redefining what we want TDB to be all about would help. A redefinition of the principles of this site seems to be in order.

I just don't want to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, vonkrankenhaus said:

And does "right wing" mean the exact same thing in every country and area seeing this forum?

Are people now being ask to take up a specific political stance drawn from American Politics situations in order to discuss Taoism here?

FWIW, the terms right and left-wing have a long history and are not based on U.S. politics but I appreciate your questions.

Is it still okay to "just" or "merely" discuss Taoism here?

💯!

Or must we discuss Taoism from, for example, a Maoist or Leninist dialectic or political bias?

Or should the discussion of Taoism merely be anti "Trump"?

Neither!

While I identify as leftist and can't see a fundamental separation between political vs. spiritual maps, I'm absolutely not trying to funnel discussions here through an overtly political lens. This is larger than leftism or simply being opposed to a single, terrible U.S president.

While in my experience the reactionary right emphatically take the cake on antisocial rhetoric and hate-speech, I'm curating self-evident "nopes" applicable regardless of your politics.

A non-exhaustive list of "nopes", both in the specific and as a pattern, in no special order:

• Racism
  • Sexism
  • Ableism

• Misogyny
  • Homophobia
  • Transphobia
  • Fascism (e.g. Neo-Nazism, white-nationalism, ultranationalism, etc)
  • Rape and sexual assault apologia
  • Police brutality apologia
  • Xenophobia, anti-immigrant rhetoric
  • Climate change denial

If you have suggestions for additions or changes, I'm all ears.  🙏

Sean

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

If you include the posting of copyrighted material (and even if it weren't unethical posting) of something that is also dangerous for others here (https://www.thedaobums.com/topic/47557-free-hua-tuo’s-spontaneous-five-animals-play-qigong -zi-fa-wuqinxi-dong-gong/), then that's not free speech, that's encouraging piracy, which is against forum rules too. I would love to have this thread deleted.

To Admins/Mods,

Master Liang Shifeng taught Spontaneous Five Animal Play Qigong in the early 1980’s.

Some have the misconception that this style “belongs” to Master Liang Shifeng and that automatically means it’s copyrighted. 

Meanwhile Master Hu Yao-zhen (1879-1973), wrote a book titled "Wu Qin Xi" (Five Animal Frolics) in the 1940's with the specific spontaneous five animal method that I posted detailed. And taught it for a long time before the 1940s. Master Hu even helped coin up the term “Qigong”. 

I trained in both lineages, second generation of Master Liang and a third generation of Master Hu.

How could someone claim Master Liang Shifeng (started to teach it in the early 1980’s) owns this practice when Master Hu wrote the book with the method in question in the 1940’s (and taught it many years prior to the publishing of that book)?

Please carry out independent research before taking action based on the opinion of one person’s claim (including mine).

As this isn’t the topic of this thread, to keep on track please PM me if you require further information. 

Thank you 🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What an interesting thread this has turned into.  I feel that it should continue.

It's my guess that we are all born with a little 'fear of difference' in our genetics and conditioning.  As to who has the deeper and stronger fear of difference to the point of prejudice and religious zealotry, we all fall into the spectrum somewhere.   I think that as intelligent human beings it's incumbent upon each of us to dig down under this fear and uproot it once and for all.  Some roots are deep and strong and it's very difficult to get it all at once; it may require a lifetime of vigilance.  I was brought up with a very heavy imprint from a man who would now be considered something close to a white nationalist.

This odd turn of events that the forum has taken can be a mirror to use as a tool to see back into our own hearts.  Enlightenment is a prize that many here seek; I hate to see anyone leaving; after all, we are all One.  It's like asking one taste bud on a tongue to go away.  Doesn't it make sense to stay here and learn from our discussions and spats?  

But most important, we love each other.  Our actions here in this community are a template/mirror of our outer life.  The dynamics are the same.  We need to work this out.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Qiway said:

As this isn’t the topic of this thread

The topic of the thread is No More Right-Wing Bullshit.

The focus in my initial post was on the mods I addressed is their interpretation of free speech allowed abusive language and posting of unethical things like you did, which you and others benefited from more than others.

The focus of addressing them was one-off and to leave it at that, but as you see, the mod who was your guardian angel, escalated it.

Now stop because I have already exhausted my three message limit on the matter as stated above and don't want to derail this thread!

IN KEEPING WITH THE TOPIC:

the Right-Wing bullshit on this forum was based on a very loose and terrible interpretation of free speech and fake diversity at the expense of ethics and a lot of people making up their own version of the Tao, which seems very odd for them to support Trump or to spontaneously (no pun intended) come up with their own enlightenment or rules and make up their own self-serving logic and ethics.

Such self-serving logic and self-serving ethics allowed a lot of decidedly non-Taoist practices and more New Age dichotomies to flourish here.

Those New Age dichotomies may use quotes from the TTC and somehow supercede the common practices, ethics, and understanding of Taoism, but they are not Taoism.

"If you can talk about it, it ain't the Tao. If it has a name, it's just another thing. Tao doesn't have a name. Names are for ordinary things." - Ron Hogan translation of Tao Te Ching, Modern Tao Te Ching

As stated above, some people benefited more from the old admin than others, and others less so, in particular, actual Taoists who were forced off the forum like flowing hands.

Flowing Hands' sin was protecting us from a potential scam and that same mod team decided he was violating forum roles for "making a personal attack on a member [albeit inactive]". 

The logic the mod team used was in their words meant to "promote diversity of views and voices on the forum" and as you can see with Flowing Hands and my grievance, everyone, exactly who is being protected? What kind of fake diversity are they promoting when the loudest voices are the ones who are most questionable, from the Right-Wing to the unethical?

Looking forward to a better admin hopefully. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, manitou said:

What an interesting thread this has turned into.  I feel that it should continue.

It's my guess that we are all born with a little 'fear of difference' in our genetics and conditioning.  As to who has the deeper and stronger fear of difference to the point of prejudice and religious zealotry, we all fall into the spectrum somewhere.   I think that as intelligent human beings it's incumbent upon each of us to dig down under this fear and uproot it once and for all.  Some roots are deep and strong and it's very difficult to get it all at once; it may require a lifetime of vigilance.  I was brought up with a very heavy imprint from a man who would now be considered something close to a white nationalist.

This odd turn of events that the forum has taken can be a mirror to use as a tool to see back into our own hearts.  Enlightenment is a prize that many here seek; I hate to see anyone leaving; after all, we are all One.  It's like asking one taste bud on a tongue to go away.  Doesn't it make sense to stay here and learn from our discussions and spats?  

But most important, we love each other.  Our actions here in this community are a template/mirror of our outer life.  The dynamics are the same.  We need to work this out.

As below, so above, as above, so below. Some people say that they are not the same in real life as they are online behind anonymous avatars free of consequences (as far as they see or know).

Who you are in the dark and who you are when the spotlights are on you reveal a lot about who you are. If all of those are consistent...then I can't say much about those who denied climate change, supported Trump and Duterte and populism, and yet called themselves cultivators of practices from Taoism to Buddhism. 

By the fruits, ye shall be known. And this forum had seeds that grew into a poison tree. 

I was angry with my friend; 

I told my wrath, my wrath did end. 

I was angry with my foe: 

I told it not, my wrath did grow. 

And I water'd it in fears, 

Night & morning with my tears: 

And I sunned it with smiles, 

And with soft deceitful wiles. 

And it grew both day and night. 

Till it bore an apple bright. 

And my foe beheld it shine, 

And he knew that it was mine. 

And into my garden stole, 

When the night had veil'd the pole; 

In the morning glad I see; 

My foe outstretched beneath the tree. - William Blake

• Like 1

Part of what I hope is changing here is an openness to see the self-jailing that we have begun in the USA - the myopic view - the self aggrandizing view - the corporatizing view - and the false christianizing agendas.

It is complete ignorance and or simple stupidity to coddle the current President and the politics of thuggery.

It is completely understandable here to look at and discuss such things as the separation of church and state - without - letting the fundamentalist "thinking" robots into the equation unless it is Very measured and only tolerated as the stepchild of intelligent "thought" that it is so clearly and obviously lacking in any measurable quantity.

It is completely understandable that this site begin to examine a measured and clear bias to real heart and soul searching for answers to war and climate change and the continued bankruptcy of our current child/leader/thief/pathological liars.

Should this site be less open to the stupidity that it has been tolerating for a considerable time - good god yes!

Does that in any way imply that open discussion should not take place - no - but open intelligent discussion - and what is intelligent and completely absurd is becoming more and more clear everyday!

It is becoming clearer with every passing day that turning this country into one that is bankrupt from oil wars and the drainage of corporate privilege and the misdirection of godless religious zealots (who support a president that could indeed kill a person in the light of day and which they would still support) that it is not remotely implausible to relegate the mentally impaired with a throttle on their voices here and a redirection if necessary.

We should be a world coming together - yet we still foster a world of war and hate and extremism and position that has nothing to do with putting one foot forward as a humanity. Religious division should come to an end and it should be legislated against - not be revitalized as is the current mania in our politics. The bullet pushers should not be our check on safe streets. Education should not come at the expense of endenturement. 

At the current rate of hyper income disparity 3/4 of the USA will have dirt roads within a few decades.

We have low unemployment yet need to lower the interest rate?  Could it be because of all the new lower paying jobs and higher paid CEO's and an unstable idiot in the White House?

These should be discussed to some extent here but we see disgusting complete bullshit about Trump from people that have not taken even the slightest walk into turning on a light inside their heads.

Yes - this should be a place where the hordes are not welcome to come and shit on the carpet and vomit on the faces of those that have come to inquire and seek. 

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, sean said:

A: It's OK and very fun to say and do racist things.

B: It's not OK and in fact wrong to speak and behave racistly.

It's a fallacy to say right wingers are racist and left wingers arn't. 

Keep taking the racist bait.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sean said:
  • Racism
  • Sexism
  • Ableism

• Misogyny
  • Homophobia
  • Transphobia
  • Fascism (e.g. Neo-Nazism, white-nationalism, ultranationalism, etc)
  • Rape and sexual assault apologia
  • Police brutality apologia
  • Xenophobia, anti-immigrant rhetoric
  • Climate change denial

This list is not right vs left. You're being fed a narrative. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Earl Grey said:

Wow, it's like you want people to know you know nothing about integrity of a lineage or safety of practitioners, especially for those with mental health issues who would be most adversely affected by it without guidance.

Like a scammer says, "If you read the fine print, I am not liable." No, I don't want to buy a bridge you or he are selling and it's not my fault for falling for it.

No, more like you can't give up the fact the work you did was garbage. This is the same as saying others have a problem with Trump and he has done no harm, absolving yourself of anything you've done irresponsibly and placing it on others for not appreciating you.

The only accurate thing you have ever said!

Yeah, right. It seems you're more likely to respond each time you've been rebutted.

Those who are most certain of themselves are the ones who do everything to deny facts presented before them.

Principles even you failed to uphold and as the thread proved, you know absolutely nothing about Taoist principles and lineage integrity. 

Why not return to a place with values more in line with your views at Living Unbound with the rest of the Far Right who have been booted? Allowing this crap to go on just as you allowed the bullying and abuse here in the name of free speech is a joke, and calling what we did scare tactics when we have no financial stake whatsoever but the safety of others.

Perhaps Sean won't eliminate that thread, but I hope to be more open to his reasoning than yours if he decides to retain it.

My three message limit for garbage exchanges with people like you have expired, and I won't say anymore about that thread because res ipsa loquitur--the thing speaks for itself. 

Sounds like more anger and venom pouring out.  Just relax, take a breath and take it easy.

I am neither left, right or far right or pro Trump or against Trump.  Most of your message makes no sense except as some ramblings based on some assumptions and false allegations and false characterization.  It sounds like you want to create a picture of me as a far right person, because it suits you and you want to get rid of me from this forum.

In your own worrds, you want me to leave  and return to the place more aligned with my values just because you think I have right leaning friends or simply because you don't want me in the site.  Can you cite or provide a single proof to substantiate that I was leaving towards right or supported such idealogy?  I don't think you can because I never did.  Way to go, talking about tolerance!  I have never once made a right leaning post or supporting Trump.  I have openly expressed my disgusti in those Trump topics.  What's the difference between this, you asking me to leave the forum and return  to what is suitable, and Trump telling people he dislikes to return back to places from where they came from?  No difference at all, simply blind hatred, telling people they do not like to just leave with no good reason.  Add  sheer hypocrisy in your case to preach against Trump, but act exactly like Trump in your real life telling others you dislike to leave and go where they come from or back to their suitable places.

I have no intention to carry on this conversation with someone like you, filled with resentment and anger because you couldn't have your way and get rid of some post from TDB.  Making multiple stunts saying I am leaving TDB, just to get sympathetic posts.  Later come back and say I was so hurt by this person doing this and that person doing that and all staff conspiring against you.  Trust me the staff had better things to do.  Though I never had any will towards you, I apologized just to make you feel better and to help you let go of the destructive anger and rage.  Then you justify your past actions, and go on a ramble asking me to leave the site.  None of this has anything to do with left/right politics.  You try to make it so, to paint me as against the liberals, simply to take advantage of the current situation in the forum to meet your ends.  That is just sick!

Here are my final words for you.  I have no interest in checking or responding any further to your posts.  The last time I checked, you are not the owner, admin or moderator in this site.  So, your statements telling me to leave the site has no bearing on me.  Just useless hypocritical and rude words.  Do us all a favor and try to keep such comments and ultimatums to yourself.    I hope people like you don't end up in the staff here and start getting rid of whoever they dislike from the leftover members.

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Pretty much all spiritual traditions ask you to move beyond such views that you are implying of good and bad.  But, you did not respond to the point of my post, additionally you only copied a small part of my post to create a misleading view (seemly imply that I am somehow racist) of my point/position.

My point was about open spiritual discussions, obviously there should be a non-racist policy with posts (and I believe that has always been the case with the moderating team). Why not simply stop the political stuff and move the focus back to spiritual discussions (without a voting litmus test).  Each post (if somehow racist) can be dealt with through moderation.

What are you attempting to stop?

Well apparently the OP thinks if one is right wing then they represent pure evil. Low taxes, personal freedom without being tied to the government programs, national borders, free market capitalism, democracy. The idea that a person needs to get a job and be a good person in order to make an honest wage. The idea that millions of small businesses thrive and innovate with low taxes better than a single government ruling entity.  Apparently if one supports those things then they support evil and are supposed to leave. 

His major arguments seem to be:

We imprison illegal immigrants that cross the border illegally. And that's somehow also racist. Yet, we have been doing this way before Trump and multiple other countries around the world have borders and detain people, so its not unique nor something to point at Trump for. (Wonder if Obama detained people? Were most of them Hispanic?)

The other one is Trump is a racist. Why? Because he banned Muslim countries that have high risks of terrorism? Yet, Trump has many supporters and close friends of many races. So that's obviously a projection.

The other seems to be Trump is bad for the environment. Yet, more companies than ever in the USA are environmentally conscious and electric car industries are thriving and growing at a fast pace. Trump's lower taxes have actually caused millions of companies to innovate independently. Excel power is set to be over 50% powered by renewable energy by 2026. And 100% by 2050. And they are innovating at an unprecedented rate that wouldn't be possible if they were taxed to the ground.

https://www.xcelenergy.com/energy_portfolio/renewable_energy

Certainly the government cant innovate at the same pace. When comparing a government electric car company to Tesla... just look at how much is spent on NASA vs SpaceX  or Blue Origin (Space programs by independent companies) to produce similar results. 

Trump just passed the 9/11 compensation bill for the first respondents at 9/11. These people were exposed to cancerous chemicals saving lives and just now 18 years later the government is supporting them with their health care. Obviously pure evil.

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MooNiNite said:

It's a fallacy to say right wingers are racist and left wingers arn't. 

Keep taking the racist bait.

Whooosh. Right over your head my dude.

Re: the narrative I’m being “fed” (from where I wonder? Studying original source philosophy and history?) — not to worry, if this site gets overrun by your imaginary faction of leftist but also racist, misogynistic, homophobes with crypto-antisemitic conspiracy theories, I’ll apply the same rules. And I’m sure you’re totally worried and not concern trolling.

Sean

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

Pretty much all spiritual traditions ask you to move beyond such views that you are implying of good and bad.  

Huh? Nah.

But, you did not respond to the point of my post, additionally you only copied a small part of my post to create a misleading view (seemly imply that I am somehow racist) of my point/position.

Man, it whooshed on you too, huh. I'm going to resist my German impulse to explain a joke but FWIW I was not implying you're racist at all.

Why not simply stop the political stuff and move the focus back to spiritual discussions (without a voting litmus test).  Each post (if somehow racist) can be dealt with through moderation.

The answer is in my original post. Because I believe spirituality divorced from "just politics" is a dead-end. And because I founded this forum and want to facilitate conversations I feel are nourishing and inclusive to people at every level of society, not just privileged, oblivious white dudes who are unphased by bigotry only because it doesn't materially impact their own lives.

Sean

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sean said:

The answer is in my original post. Because I believe spirituality divorced from "just politics" is a dead-end. And because I founded this forum and want to facilitate conversations I feel are nourishing and inclusive to people at every level of society, not just privileged, oblivious white dudes who are unphased by bigotry only because it doesn't materially impact their own lives.

Sean

Racism. Actually the first example of true racism in this thread. 

And who did it. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MooNiNite said:

Racism. Actually the first example of true racism in this thread. 

And who did it. 

I am now forced to picture you wearing a diaper at all times.

Racism, in the way that materially matters, is not some structurally advantaged white guy in a country that can strangle and shoot black men on actual camera with inpunity, getting his feelings hurt by having this reality pointed out to him on the internet, you inconceivable dipshit.

Also, didn't I ask you to leave?

Sean

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, sean said:

Racism, in the way that materially matters, is not some structurally advantaged white guy in a country that can strangle and shoot black men on actual camera with inpunity, getting his feelings hurt by having this reality pointed out to him on the internet, you inconceivable dipshit.

Sean

‘I think it is past his bedtime. 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, sean said:

Sean

You singled out people on the forum who are white. 

39 minutes ago, sean said:

Sean

This is racism. And now you are in denial. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MooNiNite said:

You singled out people on the forum who are white. 

This is racism. And now you are in denial. 

You're either impenetrably dense or a troll, dude. Ciao.

Sean

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sean said:

You're either impenetrably dense or a troll, dude. Ciao.

Sean

I think it is both!

8 minutes ago, MooNiNite said:

You singled out people on the forum who are white morons

I peer edited your post.

• Haha 1