Sign in to follow this  
ZeroQi

Newbie here, hope to learn from everyone

Hey guys, personally, I do not have much experience with neidan and internal energy practices, however, I was fascinated by the subject after recently discovering the wuxia genre. Obviously the novels are far from reality but slowly I started reading about this more and more until I realized that there is definitely more than what we see on the surface so after lots of time I arrived on this forum.

While I did practice martial arts when I was younger (qwan ki do, kyokushin, sei budokai etc), I do not have much experience with meditation or energy so that's why I joined. I've read a bit about tai chi chuan and qigong but to be perfectly honest I am at a complete loss of what a total beginner like me should start with or if there's even a difference between the different neidan techniques so if anyone could offer any form of feedback I'd be very thankful. In the meantime, will continue browsing. 

Lastly, nice to meet you!

• Like 3

Hello, ZeroQi, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Hello ZeroQi,

Welcome, thank you for the great introduction.  I feel like the Wuxia/Martial arts fantasy movies and culture helped motivate me to pursue a deeper understanding of energy/Daoism/Buddhism etc. I can remember watching "Big Trouble in Little China" at the age of ~10 and being drawn in from there.  I'm sure you can find some good info here.  Enjoy the forum!

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

On 7/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, ZeroQi said:

Hey guys, personally, I do not have much experience with neidan and internal energy practices, however, I was fascinated by the subject after recently discovering the wuxia genre.

Wu Xia... great movie with the great Donnie Yen (甄子丹 - zhen zi dan - distinguish the dan - or Donnie).

Welcome :)

• Thanks 1

I personally love Wuxia Novels. Martial Peak is my favorite along with A Sorcerers Journey.

There are many different styles of Internal Martial Arts. If your looking for a distinctly American system that has practical martial applications and the internal art...you may look into Hoshinjutsu Budo Ryu. http://hoshinbudo.com

One of the best Tai Chi players i've ever seen who is a skilled martial artist and internal practitioner is Stephen Watson. I had the privilege of training with him previously. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC72jshRCtBk9BrMN8ZYb_hA/videos 

I also know some Silat players whom are skilled fighters and have a deep understanding of the internal components. My old Silat Guru, Santiago Dobles.  https://thewarriorscave.blogspot.com 

-Nothing else comes to mind. Best of luck. 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!

I had actually given up martial arts as a sport about 7 years ago after I fell on back pretty badly. I can walk, run, blabla, but my back kinda hurts almost every day so doing professional sports was kind of outta the way. I was also kinda dumb and started smoking, drinking etc as well afterwards so my body ain't probably very happy about it.

That's also one of the reasons I'm considering to practice internal arts and learn more about eastern medicine, maybe in a few years I'll be able to be a bit healthier. 

On a different note, there are no teachers here in my country and most of videos on youtube don't explain to well when it comes to taichiquan or similar stuff, so I figured I can read and start practicing secret of the golden flower. I like it because it's one of the oldest books we have on the topic and it was supposedly written by Lu Dongbin, besides, it's easy to understand if you're doing progress or making something wrong. 

I think I'll open a topic for this. What's the best place for it?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ZeroQi said:

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, really appreciate it!

I had actually given up martial arts as a sport about 7 years ago after I fell on back pretty badly. I can walk, run, blabla, but my back kinda hurts almost every day so doing professional sports was kind of outta the way. I was also kinda dumb and started smoking, drinking etc as well afterwards so my body ain't probably very happy about it.

That's also one of the reasons I'm considering to practice internal arts and learn more about eastern medicine, maybe in a few years I'll be able to be a bit healthier. 

On a different note, there are no teachers here in my country and most of videos on youtube don't explain to well when it comes to taichiquan or similar stuff, so I figured I can read and start practicing secret of the golden flower. I like it because it's one of the oldest books we have on the topic and it was supposedly written by Lu Dongbin, besides, it's easy to understand if you're doing progress or making something wrong. 

I think I'll open a topic for this. What's the best place for it?

Which country are you in? As for health, there are a few members here who are professionals as teachers and doctors, if not people who can refer you to professionals. Eric Isen is a very celebrated friend of the community, but not a member here, who I am happy to refer you to in regards to getting some good herbal remedies and a good Ayurvedic intuitive reading that has been better than 99% of the TCM and Ayurveda healers out there. As for teachers, I know some online who teach remotely for those not able to come in person, but price and what you look for are also factors to consider, and they are based in Australia, the Philippines, and the United States. 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this