1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Hmmm ... tricky .

This just in  ( and I thought worth posting)   ;    'Archaeologists explore 7,000 year old submerged site . '

But  Welkin doesnt want me to post in the Atlantis Thread PART 1   ... where the new posts to Atlantis PART 2 are being moved  back  to ....

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/archaeology-underwater-australia-180975235/

" Benjamin and his colleagues documented the world's oldest seawall at a 7,000-year-old site off the coast of Israel. Other teams are exploring the west coast of North America searching for sites that may settle long-standing debates about how humans first populated the continent. Evans just got back last week from a six-day expedition in the Gulf of Mexico, where 40 million acres of land that was dry 12,000 years ago is now underwater. She and her colleagues took 40 core samples from the underwater sediment that they plan to analyse for archaeological material. " 

It seems they are going to start looking for submerged stuff all over the place .   Who knows what may turn up next ?

oldman.jpg

'Nungnuts' preparing a tasty sauce

to potentially have with his hat .

PS.  If you move this back to Part  1 Steve  ... you will have to deal with Welkin .        B)

No no don't take it the wrong way./  post as you'd like. just don't be a troll "B)"

This looks amazing:

One of the world’s largest collections of prehistoric rock art has been discovered in the Amazonian rainforest.

Hailed as “the Sistine Chapel of the ancients”, archaeologists have found tens of thousands of paintings of animals and humans created up to 12,500 years ago across cliff faces that stretch across nearly eight miles in Colombia.

Their date is based partly on their depictions of now-extinct ice age animals, such as the mastodon, a prehistoric relative of the elephant that hasn’t roamed South America for at least 12,000 years. There are also images of the palaeolama, an extinct camelid, as well as giant sloths and ice age horses.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/nov/29/sistine-chapel-of-the-ancients-rock-art-discovered-in-remote-amazon-forest

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, welkin said:
6 hours ago, Nungali said:

Hmmm ... tricky .

This just in  ( and I thought worth posting)   ;    'Archaeologists explore 7,000 year old submerged site . '

But  Welkin doesnt want me to post in the Atlantis Thread PART 1   ... where the new posts to Atlantis PART 2 are being moved  back  to ....

:D  

Anyway

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/archaeology-underwater-australia-180975235/

" Benjamin and his colleagues documented the world's oldest seawall at a 7,000-year-old site off the coast of Israel. Other teams are exploring the west coast of North America searching for sites that may settle long-standing debates about how humans first populated the continent. Evans just got back last week from a six-day expedition in the Gulf of Mexico, where 40 million acres of land that was dry 12,000 years ago is now underwater. She and her colleagues took 40 core samples from the underwater sediment that they plan to analyse for archaeological material. " 

It seems they are going to start looking for submerged stuff all over the place .   Who knows what may turn up next ?

oldman.jpg

'Nungnuts' preparing a tasty sauce

to potentially have with his hat .

PS.  If you move this back to Part  1 Steve  ... you will have to deal with Welkin .        B)

No need, it's fine where it is. As the article also talks about discoveries close to the shore of the American continent anyway.

The part about now submerged land that once used to be part of Australia (more properly, Sahul) is intriguing. We have touched on the question of Sahul/Sundaland before...

4 hours ago, welkin said:

No no don't take it the wrong way./  post as you'd like. just don't be a troll "B)"

He will probably "post as he likes" anyway :rolleyes:. No need to remind him...

Edited by Michael Sternbach

12 hours ago, welkin said:

One persons   'pointing out a stupid idea '   is another persons troll   ;)  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Apech said:

Thats amazing alright !

an 8 km wall of it !   

That huge midden I visited last year , I cant conceive of the amount of time , people and feasting to create something like that .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Thats amazing alright !

an 8 km wall of it !   

That huge midden I visited last year , I cant conceive of the amount of time , people and feasting to create something like that .

Does it remind you of Aborigine art?  And how did they get up so high to paint?  

The repeated wavy lines and so on very suggestive of abstract symbolism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Apech said:

Does it remind you of Aborigine art?  And how did they get up so high to paint?  

The repeated wavy lines and so on very suggestive of abstract symbolism.

To me it looks like 3 different types ,  one seems like Australian the other African  and the third more modern South American  ? 

Some researchers have noted similar symbols all over Europe in cave art , nearly like a symbolism alphabet . But I dont know enough about it to compare that with this South American stuff .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nungali said:

To me it looks like 3 different types ,  one seems like Australian the other African  and the third more modern South American  ? 

Some researchers have noted similar symbols all over Europe in cave art , nearly like a symbolism alphabet . But I dont know enough about it to compare that with this South American stuff .

It amazing how the hand print is more or less universal in cave/rock art.  or so it seems to me.

Oh yeah , and how to get up so high to paint   ?  

... just an idea  : 

( in the Americas, bamboo has a native range from 47 °S in southern Argentina and the beech forests of central Chile, through the South American tropical rainforests, to the Andes in Ecuador near 4,300 m (14,000 ft). Bamboo is also native through Central America and Mexico, northward into the Southeastern United States. )

13 minutes ago, Apech said:

It amazing how the hand print is more or less universal in cave/rock art.  or so it seems to me.

Yeah ?

I see that as a logical first choice anywhere , what better and easier way to sign, imprint or record human presence  ?   Its one of the 'definite archetypes'    ( meaning a symbol  that any human anywhere any time can recognise -   like   the Moon Phase 'calendar at Lascaux .

Spoiler

Well, there is another symbol to define human presence .    My Iranian boss told me a story of his youth ... not EXACTLY archaeology but ....

As teens in Iran (pre Islamic  revolution) his school friend had an overseas pen friend   ( I think some Daobums must remember such a thing ) . Then one day she sends him a letter  marked at the end with a lipstick kiss .   HOO-boy ! He is over the Moon about it  "Look I have girlfriend ! "   and wants to respond in kind. But he feels sending back a lipstick kiss would be too effeminate , so he  .... urrrm  , covers the end of his 'male appendage '    ( or ' knob ' , as  my boss said  ) and pressed an imprint onto the end  of his next letter to her .

Me ;  "  And the response ?"

. "

Boss ;  " He never hear from her ever again . "

Edited by Nungali
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

Yeah ?

I see that as a logical first choice anywhere , what better and easier way to sign, imprint or record human presence  ?   Its one of the 'definite archetypes'    ( meaning a symbol  that any human anywhere any time can recognise -   like   the Moon Phase 'calendar at Lascaux .

Reveal hidden contents

Well, there is another symbol to define human presence .    My Iranian boss told me a story of his youth ... not EXACTLY archaeology but ....

As teens in Iran (pre Islamic  revolution) his school friend had an overseas pen friend   ( I think some Daobums must remember such a thing ) . Then one day she sends him a letter  marked at the end with a lipstick kiss .   HOO-boy ! He is over the Moon about it  "Look I have girlfriend ! "   and wants to respond in kind. But he feels sending back a lipstick kiss would be too effeminate , so he  .... urrrm  , covers the end of his 'male appendage '    ( or ' knob ' , as  my boss said  ) and pressed an imprint onto the end  of his next letter to her .

Me ;  "  And the response ?"

. "

Boss ;  " He never hear from her ever again . "

Sure I guess its a 'logical first choice' but still echoes for me our common ancestry and self awareness.

I'm trying to remember the term used for those patterns you see in the stages before deep sleep and in meditation - zig zag lines and dot filled spaces ... I keep thinking ectopic ... but that a pregnancy outside the womb ... eidetic that's it!!!

5 hours ago, Nungali said:

One persons   'pointing out a stupid idea '   is another persons troll   ;)  

Oh come on Nungnuts, i was just going along with your disingenuous victimization. But now it seems you're trying to get personal.  Not even sure your use of quotes makes any sense.

And this has quite possibly gotta be the biggest irony or lack of self awareness i've ever seen.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst   
Are full of passionate intensity.

Edited by welkin

< deleated >

Edited by Nungali
nice and considearte request from Moderator .

A report was received, and moderation action and discussions are occurring.

In the meantime, we ask members to please stay on topic, avoiding any further derailment of this thread, and refrain from any personal insults or baiting.

2 hours ago, Apech said:

Sure I guess its a 'logical first choice' but still echoes for me our common ancestry and self awareness.

I'm trying to remember the term used for those patterns you see in the stages before deep sleep and in meditation - zig zag lines and dot filled spaces ... I keep thinking ectopic ... but that a pregnancy outside the womb ... eidetic that's it!!!

... and it is in cave art ?

There is an idea !    Pre-neolithic surrealism ?

Some say it emulates psychedelic experience .

Cave of forgotten dreams is a MUST for those interested in such explorations ;

" It is as if the modern human soul had awakened " .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

THE STORY OF ATLANTIS  -  PART  3 .    ?

South-east Asia .

Is our next candidate folks .   I just ordered this book ;

'Eden in the East '

The Drowned Continent of Southeast Asia
by Stephen Oppenheimer

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/books/eden_in_the_east.php

and

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg16021657-200-where-it-all-began/

" ONCE upon a time there was a landmass shaped like a crocodile foot. Its name
was Sundaland and it dwarfed the neighbouring Indian subcontinent. Here, in the
birthplace of the Neolithic Revolution 10 000 years ago, rice was first grown,
bronze first smelted.

So why haven’t you heard of it? The sea swallowed up most of it about 14 000
years ago. Until then, explains Stephen Oppenheimer, a professional
paediatrician and an impressive amateur prehistorian, in Eden in the
East, “the South China Sea, the Gulf of Bangkok and the Java Sea were all
dry plains connecting Indo-China, Borneo, Sumatra and Java into one
continent”.

Oppenheimer trawls through the oceanographic record to discover the effects
of the cataclysmic floods resulting from major rises in sea level caused by the
melting of the ice caps. The first of these catastrophic postglacial events took
place around 14 000 years ago. Two great floods followed 11 500 and 8000 years
ago.

His innovation is to claim that it is not the Near East but Southeast
Asia—the sunken continent of Sundaland—that is the cradle of
civilisation.

Oppenheimer amasses the geological, archaeological, linguistic and genetic
evidence in the first half of his book in order to later reconstruct the
cultural background of Sundaland and to trace population movements. He then
tackles the conventional notions about the origins of rice cultivation,
megaliths, the blowpipe, the use of bronze, the genetic mutation known as the
Polynesian motif, and the family tree of the East Asian languages. All are
reinterpreted in the light of his Sundaland theory of cultural origins.

Hancock posits his Atlantis on the continent of Antarctica on the basis of no
archaeological evidence whatsoever, while Oppenheimer’s more plausible location
is built on a respect for and detailed knowledge of the evidence. And unlike
Velikovsky, whose catastrophism involved cosmic events plus terrestrial
upheavals, the flooding of Sundaland is explained purely in terms of geology and
oceanography.

Eden in the East musters an impressive arsenal of facts and
interpretations drawn from many disciplines that steer the reader against the
prevailing tides of current opinion.

... he surveys flood myths, the separation of Heaven and Earth,

anthropogenesis, the two warring brothers and so forth. Many of the fundamental
stories in the Western traditions, including the Biblical accounts of Adam and
Eve, Noah and the Flood and the Creation itself, are then presented as variants
of Oceanic myths. And all ultimately derive, he says, from the Sunda
homeland......

After reading this book, even those who cannot accept Southeast Asia as the sole source of civilisation
are forced to recognise the discovery of the prehistoric past relies not only on
digging beneath the surface of the land but on trying to plumb the depths of
antediluvian cultures.