Sign in to follow this  
Rakiel

any good gin and tonic recipes?

Use Citadelle, a french gin.  To me, hands down the best gin.  Clean, dry, citrusy and herbal. 

don't forget the lime either.  if you wanna be fancy, give the wedge a half squeeze and rub it around the cups rim before dropping it in.  tastes good and protect yuh from the scurvy. 

lastly, because some find tonic water too sweet, you can add quite bit of ice to it or add 1/3 seltzer.  To make it visually interesting you can add a few drops of grenadine on top (don't mix), to make it bloody good.  A few drops of blue curacao make it Martian G & T,  drops of Chambord or any colored liquor make it a tad more interesting, plus you can buy mini bottles. 

addon> you could serve it deconstructed, ie little bottles of  chilled tonic (Schweppes is good), glass of ice, lime wedges, and shot of gin then have them mix there own.  That way they can taste the individual ingredients separately before making the drink.  The bar at the Drake hotel used to serve them that way.  Very classy.  Course I could be over thinking it.  Sometimes a gin & tonic, is just a gin and tonic. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

straight up Tang has long been the go-to....lol howya spell that, Tangueray...long ago my younger brother always started insisting that's the one, but I'm not really a gin connoisseur myself

lime is a must with any gin recipe

and there's simply no reason not to have the gin in the freezer

Goya Mango nectar is a great addition if you want to fruiten it up a bit

and so are those hardcore Acai berry ones like the Sambazon or...there's a couple others I forget - but just a touch of those are a good flavor-addition

if you're adding that stuff then use club soda instead of tonic, or various seltzer waters.  winds up being tough to find a non HFCS tonic water, and that stuff is disgusting.

lol, or my buddy started drinking these new drinks, what are they, white claw?  seltzer and vodka, 100 calories, and a surprisingly faithful fruit representation, although the mango ones are like the half unripe mangoes and not the Jamaican beach ripe fresh :lol:  but that doesnt fit in the gin category.  (he says gin makes him crazy like whiskey does, but somehow vodka's ok...I dont get it, cuz I'm really not a drinker, lol)

Spoiler

alcohol burns too much chi to bother with, if one is a serious practitioner :lol:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joeblast said:

Hide contents

alcohol burns too much chi to bother with, if one is a serious practitioner :lol:

Even for  drunken boxing  ? 

Spoiler

'Dynamic example  of 'switching' from  front stance to horse stance , fighting 'square'  and that unusual 'stepping'/ shifting / inside outside swapping , 'motion' that I had only seen Mr. Nishihira do before !   (but not the dance steps and tainting   :)   )

It nearly looks like at times, that he is going to kick   ( and , of course Mr. N. did kick  ) .

• Like 1

Anywayz ,  I  have  Bombay Sapphire

gin_bom2.jpg

Also its a pretty bottle for the cocktail cabinet.  

It seems to have a massive amounts of different herbs in it . Is that usual ?

- not big on tonic , I prefer a Lime Rickey ... with a dash of  Manitou  ( cane syrup ) .

gin-rickey-5a8f33373de4230037f82f31.jpg

(What a messy bartender ! )

15 hours ago, joeblast said:

if you're adding that stuff then use club soda instead of tonic, or various seltzer waters.  winds up being tough to find a non HFCS tonic water, and that stuff is disgusting.

I make my own simple syrup and keep it in the fridge - 1:1 ratio of water and sugar. I use a raw, unrefined cane sugar. Mix this in something like a coffee cup and microwave it enough so that the sugar melts. It's super easy. Mix to your desired sweetness into club soda (carbonated water).

High Fructose Corn Syrup is of the Devil.

Edited by escott

16 hours ago, joeblast said:

straight up Tang has long been the go-to....lol howya spell that, Tangueray...long ago my younger brother always started insisting that's the one, but I'm not really a gin connoisseur myself

lime is a must with any gin recipe

and there's simply no reason not to have the gin in the freezer

I agree in Tang as the one to go to... but never put any alcohol in the freezer.  To me, it just changes the taste too much.... at least I would say that for vodka and southern comfort for example.  One either likes the rawness of the alcohol or want it tamed down a bit (maybe).

I like suggestions folks are mentioning so far, so thanks.

I'm a simple G+T+extra Lime.   In a pinch, instead of varying tonic vs club [+ fruit alternatives]... I've used Sprite. 

For the record, Cruises tend to make the potent G+T... I guess they realize you don't have to drive home :lol:

And, for an old remedy use of Gin... I had a friend from years ago whose grandmother swore by this...  they claim the alcohol evaporates away... but I have my doubts...

Can Gin-Soaked Raisins Help Arthritis?

Maybe G & T is a health drink!?? 

Tonic water gets its name from Quinine-  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine)

Quinine is a medication used to treat malaria and babesiosis.[2] This includes the treatment of malaria due to Plasmodium falciparum that is resistant to chloroquine when artesunate is not available.[2][3] While used for restless legs syndrome, it is not recommended for this purpose due to the risk of side effects.[2] It can be taken by mouth or used intravenously.[2] Malaria resistance to quinine occurs in certain areas of the world.[2] Quinine is also the ingredient in tonic water that gives it its bitter taste.[4]

Common side effects include headache, ringing in the ears, trouble seeing, and sweating.[2] More severe side effects include deafness, low blood platelets, and an irregular heartbeat.[2] Use can make one more prone to sunburn.[2] While it is unclear if use during pregnancy causes harm to the baby, use to treat malaria during pregnancy is still recommended.[2] Quinine is an alkaloid, a naturally occurring chemical compound.[2] How it works as a medicine is not entirely clear.[2]

Quinine was first isolated in 1820 from the bark of a cinchona tree.[2][5][6] Bark extracts have been used to treat malaria since at least 1632.[7] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the most effective and safe medicines needed in a health system.[8] The wholesale price in the developing world is about US$1.70 to $3.40 per course of treatment.[9] In the United States a course of treatment is more than $200.[10]

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, dawei said:

I'm a simple G+T+extra Lime. 

If you like something with a more citrus profile, and less herbal, you might want to try New Amsterdam gin. It's way more easy on the budget than Tang, too.

You could always drink kryptonite  instead.  - a Nungali invention

1 part Cointreau

1 part Midori melon liquor

1/2 part Absynthe

lemon juice 

On 7/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, thelerner said:

Common side effects include headache, ringing in the ears, trouble seeing, and sweating.[2] More severe side effects include deafness, low blood platelets, and an irregular heartbeat.[2] Use can make one more prone to sunburn.[2]While it is unclear if use during pregnancy causes harm to the baby

sounds like alcohol in general :lol:

Sign in to follow this