Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

What animal are you?

I read this account by Marie-Louise von Franz this morning of how Carl Jung’s Psychological Club functioned and it made me smile because of its similarities to the Dao Bums forum:   

When Jung founded the Psychology Club in Zurich, he had in mind to try to find out how a group, or a society, would work in which the inferior function would not be covered up, but where people would contact each other by it. The result was absolutely amazing. People who came into this society from outside were shocked out of their wits by the rude, bad behavior and the absolutely unending quarrels this group displayed. I visited the Club many years ago and till then had never made a move toward becoming a member because I felt too shy. One day Jung said to me, "Do you not want to join the Psychology Club, or do you not dare to join it?" I said, "I did not dare to join it, but would love to." So he said, "All right, I will be your godfather"—we need godfathers to get into the Club —"but I'll wait first to see if you have a dream, if the right moment has come." And what did I dream? I dreamed that a natural scientist, an old man who looked very much like Jung, had made up an experimental group to find out how animals of different species got along with each other! I came into the place, and there were aquariums with fish in them, enclosures with tortoises, newts, and such creatures, and cages with birds and dogs and cats, and the old man was sitting in the middle, taking notes on how the animals behaved socially with one another. I discovered then that I myself was a flying fish in an aquarium and could jump out. I told my dream to Jung and he said, with a grin, "I think now you are mature enough to join the Psychology Club; you have got the central idea, its purpose."

In this rather humorous way the unconscious took up the idea, namely that it is really a great problem, for as conscious beings we can contact each other, but in this inferior function, one person is a cat, another is a tortoise, and a third a hare—there are all those animals! Such social adaptations present a great difficulty. There are all the problems of having one's own territory, one's own ground, for every animal species has a tendency to have a few meters of homeland. Every bird and every animal defends its territory against intruders; one may not step on the other's ground, and all these complicated rituals build up again as soon as human beings join together and discard the persona and try really to contact each other. Then one really feels as if one is moving in the jungle or the bush: one must not step on this snake or frighten that bird by making a quick movement, and things become very complicated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Yueya said:

I read this account by Marie-Louise von Franz this morning of how Carl Jung’s Psychological Club functioned and it made me smile because of its similarities to the Dao Bums forum:   

When Jung founded the Psychology Club in Zurich, he had in mind to try to find out how a group, or a society, would work in which the inferior function would not be covered up, but where people would contact each other by it. The result was absolutely amazing. People who came into this society from outside were shocked out of their wits by the rude, bad behavior and the absolutely unending quarrels this group displayed. I visited the Club many years ago and till then had never made a move toward becoming a member because I felt too shy. One day Jung said to me, "Do you not want to join the Psychology Club, or do you not dare to join it?" I said, "I did not dare to join it, but would love to." So he said, "All right, I will be your godfather"—we need godfathers to get into the Club —"but I'll wait first to see if you have a dream, if the right moment has come." And what did I dream? I dreamed that a natural scientist, an old man who looked very much like Jung, had made up an experimental group to find out how animals of different species got along with each other! I came into the place, and there were aquariums with fish in them, enclosures with tortoises, newts, and such creatures, and cages with birds and dogs and cats, and the old man was sitting in the middle, taking notes on how the animals behaved socially with one another. I discovered then that I myself was a flying fish in an aquarium and could jump out. I told my dream to Jung and he said, with a grin, "I think now you are mature enough to join the Psychology Club; you have got the central idea, its purpose."

In this rather humorous way the unconscious took up the idea, namely that it is really a great problem, for as conscious beings we can contact each other, but in this inferior function, one person is a cat, another is a tortoise, and a third a hare—there are all those animals! Such social adaptations present a great difficulty. There are all the problems of having one's own territory, one's own ground, for every animal species has a tendency to have a few meters of homeland. Every bird and every animal defends its territory against intruders; one may not step on the other's ground, and all these complicated rituals build up again as soon as human beings join together and discard the persona and try really to contact each other. Then one really feels as if one is moving in the jungle or the bush: one must not step on this snake or frighten that bird by making a quick movement, and things become very complicated. 

Was the idea to relate based on what ones 'dark side' personality was ,, or ,, to visualize themselves as the animals they think they best match ? 

6 minutes ago, Apech said:

I'm an animal?  

humans are peculiar animals.  peculiar and generally crazy :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lost in Translation said:

I'm a bighorn sheep, or perhaps a dog. Maybe I'm a cockroach. It depends on my mood at the time.

Of course you are ... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Apech said:

I'm an animal?  

Specifically, I imagine,  a primate .

We all be primates     :)  

11 hours ago, Stosh said:

Was the idea to relate based on what ones 'dark side' personality was ,, or ,, to visualize themselves as the animals they think they best match ? 

5217008-vector-illustration-of-a-chinese

or

Horoscope-2018.jpg

In which case I am a  ....      crab  ...  ?

But it makes sense ;  As a kid, spent a LOT of time in rock pools and estuaries  - father and big brother where surf life savers - every weekend both days down the beach, rock pools where my baby sitters. I get given goggles and a snorkel and chucked in; " there ya go, have fun ."  I sure did .  The things I would see and find in them  !

maxresdefault.jpg

12705394_1269651356394805_46999500638312                                                  images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAoG957yakOPpeFqotkir

Then there is ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem

and now, even ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species_dysphoria

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

I'm a bighorn sheep, or perhaps a dog. Maybe I'm a cockroach. It depends on my mood at the time.

How can I resist ?

Farmer to visiting woman from the city ;

" No ma'am .... the reason we call 'em bighorns is up here at the head end . "

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

5217008-vector-illustration-of-a-chinese

I can see how the idea is being spun, however , Jung was getting at perhaps something else. Though I read the article, I am not clear , there's several pivot points. 

I was told that traditionally the spirit animals were not totems. Totems functioned as labels to keep track of affiliations.

The spirit animals were teachers, who were of value, precisely because they had characters which did not.. come natural. These teachers could change over time, rounding out a personality and lending flexibility.

Then ya got yer furries zodiac things, mascots fantasies patronus ?  ,and muses. 

And finally there's role playing and visualizations.

However, the inferior functions might be Freudian principles or aspects of personality. 

Yueya should perhaps clarify if the OP intends anything beyond sharing an association or gentle critique.

Edited by Stosh

Saw a doco on it .  Mother said  " My daughter told me  that we need to sit down and have a long important talk about herself and something she needed to tell me .   ' Oh God, she is going to tell me she is a lesbian ' I thought .  But no , apparently she is a wolf now . "

:)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Saw a doco on it .  Mother said  " My daughter told me  that we need to sit down and have a long important talk about herself and something she needed to tell me .   ' Oh God, she is going to tell me she is a lesbian ' I thought .  But no , apparently she is a wolf now . "

I'm a gnu man since I became a wildebeast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Oh God. Please no. Make it stop. 

Soon .

I just remembered more   .... furries'  

Some peeps be furry

hqdefault.jpg

c7d8fe9a70c65e466dab7abc9f1ca176.jpg

20180705JWfurry03-1532128429.jpg

Dominique Rossano, 24, of Virginia, right, brushes the tail of Austin Parsons at Anthrocon 2018 .

https://www.thestar.com/life/2017/08/07/furries-people-who-wear-animal-costumes-arent-freaks-study-finds.html

Getting  'furred up' for a night out ;

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah ... I dunno ..  I seem to only just have enough time in the day to  shop, cook, wash, laundry, garden, weed, chop wood, fix stuff  ....  where do they get ll this play time from ?  :huh:

• ANTHROCON
  • July 4 - July 7, 2019 - Theme: "Surf Pacific"
  • July 2 - July 5, 2020 - Theme: "Aesop's Fables"

#Anthrocon, Inc.‏Verified account @anthrocon Jul 7

More

Anthrocon 2019 by the numbers: 290 events 16 DJs over 3 nights 101,300 watts of sound 250+ Floor Wars/Dance Comp signups 2,400 fursuit badges 9,358 awesome attendees $46,440 raised for PEARL Parrot Rescue

Edited by Stosh

I think I'd be happiest as a goat.  One of my sensei's said 'Don't act like a tiger.  They're tough, but gang members score points if they take one down.  Neither be a sheep, they're soft targets.  Be a goat, they've got horns, awareness, flexible, tough to get at.  Not so much a target.'

So maybe a goat, somewhere on a relatively uninhabited mountain range.  Where the sun is bright, the air is thin, enough food if you know to look, and a great deal of peace abounds.   

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this