wakeupneo

Looking for a semi-contemporary teacher on Taoist philosopy

4 hours ago, wakeupneo said:

It's no different then Buddhist/Hindu teaching where the end game is soul/consciousness of individuals merging with universal consciousness. 

So Taoism can he similar to Buddhism and Hinduism? 

th?id=OIP.HTmiR7dCo-XWg1KJFwpHqQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.8xJyUJAejqFBObOD4G0MIgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

The idea of Taoist philosophy is the unicorn of Daoism... if you find it, please let us know ! 

Know this... if you just want to understand a sliver of Daoism... you can cut up any pie in the sky and taste it... but it is not ultimately Daoism... except to your taste. 

But as Laozi said, a thousand mile journey starts with a step... Oh crap... you didn't want Laoism, yes?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 7/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, rideforever said:

For instance he has a "workbook" for spiritual development 

Just came across an amazon review of the yellow book that I wanted to share because the review was really wonderful.

This is not just a book, it is the vibration of spirit, love, guidance, sincerity and peace in book form. In my darkest hours I have found comfort here, in moments of awakening, I have found a furthering practice here. It is not about agreeing or disagreeing with it's content or understanding the exercises or the language. It is a book that you can hold and feel and emanates it's intentions so that even a blind man can benefit from it. That might all sound strange, unless you know it. The words soothe my mind, but the books heart touches my heart

This rings true from my experience. Just by touching these books I benefit from them. I keep the yellow one as a treasure in my home, and thinking that it's there makes me feel safe in a way. It's funny I posted this in between looking for the eternal light book today, lol. I need to be more organized. But yeah you'll just keep coming back to these books.

Here is the review link. He went on to say if he could choose only one book, for him it would be this one. This person's sincerity is really beautiful, just reading his review gave me goosebumps today.... and his energy is so clear and beautiful too. A testimony to the book's effect on him.

Edited by Sebastian

In fact I purchased the other one that you had indicated at the beginning; I am particularly interested in wisdom handed down thrown the family as that is most rate and valuable.

I received another book with similar intention yesterday "Our life with Mr Gurdjieff" by de Hartmann.

Such books are rare.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dawei said:

Know this... if you just want to understand a sliver of Daoism... you can cut up any pie in the sky and taste it... but it is not ultimately Daoism... except to your taste.

th?id=OIP.zGUFbrR3l3gPYcdamC55lQHaFN&pid=Api&P=0&w=225&h=159

On 7/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, wakeupneo said:

I was wondering if anyone cant point me to a resource that is rich, perhaps even esoteric that really breaks down Taoist philosophy.

Hi wakeupneo,

What/how can you break down Yin and Yang into?

Are they not elemental?

th?id=OIP.4An-RhqzViobrmXayAcVLwHaDf&pid=Api&P=0&w=348&h=165

th?id=OIP.szLrzdN-d1gE7DPobS61vQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

- Anand

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2019 at 6:20 PM, wakeupneo said:

Dealing with a slew of health problems has created some existential questions. 

The body dies and breaks down into the elements, presumably the mind/ego go along with it, does consciousness remain or are Daoists some what materialists when it comes to consciousness. 

What kind of health problems ?
Are you doing any Chi Kung or what's your approach ?

What are you looking for book-wise, do you want someone to comfort you, or instruct you on an immortal path ?

What practices are you doing ?

On 7/7/2019 at 3:57 AM, wakeupneo said:

I'm not entirely sure...

Hi wakeupneo,

Are you associating yourself with the film ~ The Matrix...?

neo.gif

If so ~ wake up to what?

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...

On 7/6/2019 at 3:57 PM, wakeupneo said:

Maybe someone else could chime in.

YinYang just means "Polarity".

And we can say there is YinYang of YinYang - the "4 Emblems".

And a YinYang of those - the "Bagua".

And a YinYang of those - 64 hexagrams - "I Ching".

WuJi is "No Polarity"

TaiJi is "Extreme Polarity"

TaiJi Diagram people know is "TaiJiTu" - this shows Polarity using stylized versions of the trigrams for Fire and Water.

_VonKrankehaus

• Like 1

I’m still mulling your take on yinyang simply meaning polarity Krankenhaus, but the rest of your breakdown above sounds legit.

Imho TaiJiTu describes the progress of changes and how they transform and balance and that within the whole their existance is mutually generated and supported. Yin and Yang exist as such because something wasn’t and this lead to it culminating and at that point the shift happened, it began and so there was the not-moving and moving fluidly shifting proportion and once both were they have not stopped since.

It is nice though that the ”eyes” gives a layer of correspondence with kan and li, but its not enough really, not for me. The transformation and potential of each towards the other is of its own because there is no room for there to be just one and/or the other. The polarities or simultaneous complements carry the seed of their own counterpart because they cant be exactly pure. Movement presupposes rest and rest likewise must at its own core presuppose movement. And if either of them doesnt the you have Wuji, no-thing and nothing. Its not even a vacuum, its the utter absence of both something and nothing.

Thats the beauty of the Schroedinger quote Lima threw in there: no barrier exists. Movement cannot exist without being born out of rest and returning there before beginning anew, and vice versa.

Breaking Yin and Yang down further isn’t really possible i think, they’re as far as the breakdown goes before arriving at the whole shabam of the Dao being everything and then some.

Kranks shows the way to go to describe any reasonable breakDOWN of Yin and Yang, because you don’t get further up without arriving at the all encompassing and therefore greater unified Dao.

So down it goes, in myriad progressions of yin yang into ever smaller details and so greater number. Just because the 64 hexagrams are something of a finite set that supposedly describes all (aberrant) change it doesn’t mean there ISN’T yet another and another yin and yang subset.

It’s elephants all the way down o the utter botto, where there is yet another group of elephants standing on their own lower group of elephants.

(All the way down)+n1 where n is the amount of further layers. :)

.... or at least thats my current take on it.

By the way i HAVE seen Pies in the sky once, they were accidentally propelled above head height of all present and subsequently landed on the edible side sadly and were this spoiled for the most part but what crubs were salvaged tasted great. Then there’s the pie-throwing crowd, they put pies in the sky willingly. Once i saw a muffin-shaped hot-air balloon and that counts too, as well as the one with the Pi symbol on it...

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
Realized a typo expressed the exact opposite of what i wanted to say... whoops.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

By the way i HAVE seen Pies in the sky once...

th?id=OIP.WN3gQRsIlCXsCrQ_curemAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.gmVly7PSsZTv1dX8rKCd7wHaF7&pid=Api&P=0&w=220&h=177

th?id=OIP.jvDNb_h44INjcklW60joMgHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=287&h=162

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Taoism is for smart fellers...

Hi Steve,

You naught fella... a smeller of unmentionable humor...

tumblr_n5wfehhq3Z1rpvebao7_400.gif

- Anand

4 hours ago, Limahong said:

You naught fella... a smeller of unmentionable humor...

Well, to be more precise.  We know that religions or philosophies have a spectrum of adherents, which goes from mystic at one end, to fundamentalist at the other end.  Except for Taoism, which is neither just religion nor philosophy.  Problem solved!  No, it's not that simple.

We also know that fundamentalists are such fragile little things, that they need the support of their family and neighbors, in order to feel justified in their idiotic beliefs.  Therefore they become evangelists to spread the 'message' and get recruits.  Also, since misery loves company, they want everyone else to join them as slaves.

Well, the Taoists saw these fundamentalist morons coming a mile away, so they named their fundamentalists Confucians, after the mental person (see, I didn't say mental jerkoff) named Confused Tzu, who was all brains but had no heart.  That's also why there is no art of philosophy in Taoism, the philosophers are Confucians, although they imagine they are Laoists, after the person named Lao Tze (sounds like "Lousy").

So Taoists have an attitude like:  If someone sez they want to become Taoist, it's like "yeah right, entertain yourself ... over there, far away".  If someone sez they don't want to be a Taoist, it's like  "Great, don't let the door slam against your posterior on the way out."

Edited by Starjumper
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starjumper said:

Laoists

Hi Steve.

Definitions...

Mental jerkoff ~ fundamentalist moron.

Confused Tzu ~ all brains but had no heart.

Laoists ~ those named after Lao Tze

"Lousy" ~ rings like Lao Tze

Taoists have an attitude like:

th?id=OIP.4zjkUfmrMkvvuywajQhb4QHaLG&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

al-bundy-kelly-boyfriend-slam-into-door-animated-gif.gif

Keep it up ~ 

smeller of unmentionable humor...

- Anand

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, dawei said:

Laoism

Hi dawei,

Laozi said, a thousand mile journey starts with a step...

A-thousand-mile-journey2.gif

1 hour ago, Starjumper said:

If someone sez they want to become Taoist, it's like "yeah right, entertain yourself ... over there, far away".

Get there - step by step... don't look back... don't come back?

- Anand

Ugh. This is why we cant have nice things.

And also, notincidentally, this thread got real old real fast.

And as a parting gift to the thread which i hope shall continue merrily with wathever is going on now: whoever invented the pizza-drone did not account for seagulls. Tenacious, incredibly skilled at recognition and relentless when in groups. Which they form as soon as there is opportunity.

Fresh, tasty food buzzing through the skies like that will lead to an odd precipitation of mauled drones and respective parts, pizza cartons and discarded toppings.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Haha 2

On 7/9/2019 at 6:21 AM, Rocky Lionmouth said:

I’m still mulling your take on yinyang...

Hi Rocky Lionmouth,

For me the yinyang mulling will never stop. 

It is nice to register these... your personal takes...

Breaking Yin and Yang down further isn’t really possible i think, they’re as far as the breakdown goes before arriving at the whole shabam of the Dao being everything and then some.

We are all born from/with yinyang as ONE

Kranks shows the way to go to describe any reasonable breakDOWN of Yin and Yang, because you don’t get further up without arriving at the all encompassing and therefore greater unified Dao.

It took me quite a while to understand yinyang as ONE. Things started to flow for me when I started to perceived the Dao as ONE ENERGY in all forms... which are transformable and interchangeable.

So down it goes, in myriad progressions of yin yang into ever smaller details and so greater number. Just because the 64 hexagrams are something of a finite set that supposedly describes all (aberrant) change it doesn’t mean there’s yet another and another yin and yang subset.

th?id=OIP.7rO07Rfn3rUr5nfmksfEYAHaHS&pid=Api&P=0&w=158&h=156

th?id=OIP.pFHJLgzeAmRNN0rH_c64AAHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

tumblr_msz5h64sJO1qif4e7o1_500.gif

It’s elephants all the way down o the utter botto, where there is yet another group of elephants standing on their own lower group of elephants. (All the way down)+n1 where n is the amount of further layers. 

th?id=OIP.itkb5WMVCe7l95iR7WvqwgAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

(Elephant  pyramid)

.... or at least thats my current take on it.

A Daoist take ~ always changes and it is good to keep it current?

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

... whoever invented the pizza-drone did not account for seagulls. Tenacious, incredibly skilled at recognition and relentless when in groups. Which they form as soon as there is opportunity.

You bet...

th?id=OIP.DD_afo5BH4uUhWTcm6n_3gHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=240&h=161

WUMO-comics-drone-birds-2480427.png

• Haha 1

On 04/07/2019 at 6:20 PM, wakeupneo said:

The body dies and breaks down into the elements, presumably the mind/ego go along with it, does consciousness remain or are Daoists some what materialists when it comes to consciousness. 

There is no dogma to this. Taoists don't know, and it doesn't matter.

On 05/07/2019 at 10:49 PM, Limahong said:

So Taoism can he similar to Buddhism and Hinduism? 

These days yes due to cross-influences in China. 

You're closer to the source with traditional stuff.

The Tao Te Ching will suffice really, until you find someone that has more knowledge of traditional Taoist schools of thought.

On 05/07/2019 at 10:49 PM, Limahong said:

th?id=OIP.HTmiR7dCo-XWg1KJFwpHqQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.8xJyUJAejqFBObOD4G0MIgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

If Taoism got too popular, the world wouldn't operate the way that it does. And we can have that now, can we? Hehe

On 09/07/2019 at 11:57 PM, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Ugh. This is why we cant have nice things.

And also, notincidentally, this thread got real old real fast.

I'm trying to bring it back.

But I'm also trying to bring back double-denim and am failing.