Sign in to follow this  
rideforever

Sitting Cross Legged During Practice

I often sit in simple cross legged style (Burmese).

Does anyone have any good details about how the channels are affected and should flow in this position if I do a sitting Zhan Zhuang.

How the practice needs to be adjusted or reconsidered etc... ?

( Ordinarily I understand Daoists sat in chairs, but it is my preference to be on the floor. )

On 7/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Cheshire Cat said:

If you sit on the ground, it's no longer Zhan Zhuang :P

you mean to tell me I cant sit in full lotus while in zhan zhuang either!?!?!  cripes!  :lol:

• Haha 1

There are ZZ postures sitting on a chair, and lying on the back or on the side, but no cross legged one's that I have seen.

Wang Xiang Zhai says that standing is the best because it allows fully circulation and also spacial sensitivity more similar to combat.

From this we can assume on cross legged sitting he would say that ensure the circulation is occurring in the legs .... i.e. don't try to ground from the pelvis downwards.   Sitting like this it is as if the body is standing.   I am not sure if something special needs to be done from the spine to the lower body to ensure continued circulation.   Perhaps just picture yourself standing.

Keeping circulation in the legs it feels as if the sole of the foot is grounding energetically, even though the foot is on its side; I will investigate.

Sitting cross legged one can switch to more related internal practices based around the tantien, which are also circulatory but with a different flavour from yiquan ... a more transcendent and spiritual and empty flavour.

It is not clear to me how yiquan relates to spirituality at the moment.

Sign in to follow this