lightbody09

What is Enlightenment in Taoism and the "goal" of Taoism concretely? Endless cultivation?

11 hours ago, Limahong said:

Thank you.

Yesterday was the first time I came across the three photos when I Googled. There are lots more.

th?id=OIP.KncFX8XejEI3pqFS_QqQEQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.RRVeRhokpVg_HSRTDqhERAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=235&h=157

th?id=OIP.YGs_tYRyjm9N3B4hu1HFtwHaDD&pid=Api&P=0&w=383&h=159

th?id=OIP.KbxpEewMQsKKSlUwnX3xOgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Yes, this is a very good thing to bring up. Bear with me though, I have a lot of work on out of town but I'll come back to this when I can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nintendao said:

Ask not what Taoism can do for you, but what you can do for those suffering?

And they do say, you can only really look after others if you can look after yourself....

On 11/07/2019 at 8:23 PM, Limahong said:

Thank you.

Yesterday was the first time I came across the three photos when I Googled. There are lots more.

th?id=OIP.KncFX8XejEI3pqFS_QqQEQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

th?id=OIP.RRVeRhokpVg_HSRTDqhERAHaE8&pid=Api&P=0&w=235&h=157

th?id=OIP.YGs_tYRyjm9N3B4hu1HFtwHaDD&pid=Api&P=0&w=383&h=159

th?id=OIP.KbxpEewMQsKKSlUwnX3xOgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

Ok, so it would seem that typing my profile name and keywords on here didn't bring much luck so I'll elaborate as best I can.

The first thread I was thinking of was along the lines of Daoism not necessarily being exclusive to China. Traits can often be found among many people all over the world, and a lot of them won't have even heard of Daoism.

Dao is everywhere, so everyone's Way, survival and wellbeing methods has to be.

Although I am far from Arfican poverty, my life here compared to many rich people that have the means to live very well (by the best possible diet etc.) cannot compare. It's often said, that those with wealth get good health.

But how many of the early Daoists had wealth?

With it being such a large scale, I cannot possibly go into much about other poverty. I don't have solutions, only perception.

The other thread was something like Daoism being for the well off, in which we went back and forth realising that rich or poor, underatanding and working with the hand that is dealt is most significant.

So what if there is a world of ideal food, medicine and exercises? Then we have to peel the onion back further and determine how much of this is BS, how much of it is necessary and so on.

But my question to you then...is everyone in the world lucky enough to be able to cultivate?

Edited by Rara

3 hours ago, Rara said:

But my question to you then...is everyone in the world lucky enough to be able to cultivate?

Hi Rara,

I cultivate selflessly/responsibly/meaningfully... from Nature externally ... before I selfishly/irresponsibly/meaninglessly... cultivate my body/mind for internal cultivation?

But on the other hand ~ if I can cultivate myself selflessly/responsibly/meaningfully/externally/internally... why not?

3 hours ago, Rara said:

With it being such a large scale, I cannot possibly go into much about other poverty. I don't have solutions, only perception.

Every good effort... counts...

make-today-count2.jpg?itok=ULlcS_w8

On 7/11/2019 at 3:57 AM, Rara said:

Even if it is just to get up and enjoy a glass of water and some toast. And if that's all you need, then good for ya!

A very good starting point ~ but (a) don't let the tap run wastefully (b) toss away food if it can be shared... (x)....

A great weekend.

- Anand

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Limahong said:

I cultivate selflessly/responsibly/meaningfully... from Nature externally ... before I selfishly/irresponsibly/meaninglessly... cultivate my body/mind for internal cultivation?

But on the other hand ~ if I can cultivate myself selflessly/responsibly/meaningfully/externally/internally... why not?

Yin and yang. This what saints are made of.

Every good effort... counts...

There are some good charities out there, and I have seen that religions also contribute quite nicely. We can start there, join the other droplets and grow.

After going to my Dad's native city, Kolkata, I want to do more for the families being raised on the streets of India. But Kolkata is big enough...I must rely on other good souls that may worry about other places. One man or woman can't save the whole world, but we can do what we can.

A very good starting point ~ but (a) don't let the tap run wastefully (b) toss away food if it can be shared... (x)....

Certainly!

A great weekend

Bless.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rara said:

We can start there, join the other droplets and grow.

Hi Rara,

Yes ~ connect the dots to make the droplets bigger...

th?id=OIP.lj9juuB0AEkLHklgxBLXxQHaGv&pid=Api&P=0&w=192&h=176

th?id=OIP.Ur3TjLis0bf9kU_1N-JajwHaE6&pid=Api&P=0&w=254&h=170

th?id=OIP.3fKf3L-rqwJcS7cwYa64OgHaF4&pid=Api&P=0&w=202&h=161

- Anand

Following up again on one of the goals of Taoism - here Master Chen (Yun Xiang Tseng) describes a little about becoming immortal (shenxian). He's got credentials, too, being the lineage master for Wudang daojiao in the U.S.

Now I'll be honest, even if a lot of us at some point in our youth became interested in immortality by secretly wanting to become like super saiyan warrior wizards, I do like how this lecture seems to close with the idea of really just being a great person for yourself and the ones you love.

By the way for anyone interested, the "Dao House" out in Colorado is still raising support to ultimately build the new temple, as part of Chen's life mission given to him by Grand Master Li Cheng Yu. If you wish to connect your dot to this worthy tradition, please consider donating at www.daousa.org

On 7/12/2019 at 6:22 AM, Nintendao said:

Ask not what Taoism can do for you, but what you can do for those suffering?

Hi Nintendao,

Too good to be hidden...

5d29eb7a0fee0_connectthedaots2.png.24732e0f4be473904e2e49de9b700627.png

Follow the Tao to reduce suffering?

- Anand

4 hours ago, Nintendao said:

Following up again on one of the goals of Taoism...

"Feather Life" ~

floating-feather.gif

zzz-s-2.jpg

Descent - Ascent ~ Shen - Xian

- Anand

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2019 at 11:27 PM, lightbody09 said:

what is the actual goal of cultivation and of Taoism more in general?

Hi lightbody09,

Your thread begs ~ What is Enlightenment in Taoism and the "goal" of Taoism concretely? Endless cultivation?

There are three '?' here ~ which can be problematic for me to answer without me questioning myself thus...

(a) Is there a paradox ~ 'actual' and 'general'?

(b) When Taoism is 'The Way' ~ how can there be a "goal"?

(c) If Taoism pertains to Nature ~ what/how can I perceived it 'concretely'?

(d) When my life has a beginning/end ~ what can I cultivate 'endlessly'... unless I regard Taoism thus...?

th?id=OIP.LvY7WYWb4jLljol9koF4CAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300  th?id=OIP.yYg4HKxFJqa8kWHQtQgPYAHaHK&pid=Api&P=0&w=180&h=175  th?id=OIP.olX2xoHXK8GmIxrezFjEhQHaFi&pid=Api&P=0&w=209&h=158 

- Anand

• Like 1