Zero Inf

Newbie Intro and Questions!

Hello everyone,

While doing Internet research on Qigong I found this forum and after surfing for a while thought about joining myself.

I am not sure what to expect and the objectives of the forum. Hope the seniors and veterans would help me.

Now for some introductory questions from my side:

1. After reading for about 2-3 days I found quite some infos on Qigong but I'm not sure if Qi or Chi is a real thing. Is it really possible feeling, storing and transforming Qi etc?

2. I found writings about ancient texts describing techniques such as Xi sui jing, Yi jin jing, Iron shirt, Small circulation etc. Do they really help harness great human potentials?

3. Though there are lots of writings about ancient texts and techniques there doesn't seem much reliable sources that can guide one step by step to learn about them and practice Qi and Martial arts. Can I find materials needed for training in the internet? And as most of the techniques are from ancient times they should be free context for everyone but I see people selling them. Can't I learn the real stuff without paying?

Thanks for taking me.

• Like 1

Hello, Zero Inf, and welcome.

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the post pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum Terms and Rules.   This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Fa Xin and the TDB team

Welcome Zero Inf,

Glad to have you here.  There's many traditions and techniques for Qi and qigong.  Start reading and exploring them, that is the only way to decide if and how they work. Enjoy the forum :)

You are welcome to jump right in to the ongoing discussions, revive an older thread, start a new thread of your own, or start a discussion in the "Newcomer Corner" sub-forum to expand on your introduction or ask general questions to help you get started.

May you enjoy your time here.

Fa Xin

Welcome Zero Inf. You are here because you already feel it.  Either Consciously or subconsciously, as your heart (or middle dantien) is already open. Yes, practices can help, but ultimately it is more about letting go of issues and fears that obscure the energy flow. 

And yes, there really is a lot of crazy (and fun) stuff out there. Enjoy the ride. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zero Inf said:

Hello everyone,

While doing Internet research on Qigong I found this forum and after surfing for a while thought about joining myself.

I am not sure what to expect and the objectives of the forum. Hope the seniors and veterans would help me.

Now for some introductory questions from my side:

1. After reading for about 2-3 days I found quite some infos on Qigong but I'm not sure if Qi or Chi is a real thing. Is it really possible feeling, storing and transforming Qi etc?

2. I found writings about ancient texts describing techniques such as Xi sui jing, Yi jin jing, Iron shirt, Small circulation etc. Do they really help harness great human potentials?

3. Though there are lots of writings about ancient texts and techniques there doesn't seem much reliable sources that can guide one step by step to learn about them and practice Qi and Martial arts. Can I find materials needed for training in the internet? And as most of the techniques are from ancient times they should be free context for everyone but I see people selling them. Can't I learn the real stuff without paying?

Thanks for taking me.

Welcome, @Starjumper Hey Steve care to field this one? Thought of how frank you are on stuff like this and a new searcher could use real advice.

1. Yes 

2. Yes

3. There is much useful information on the internet. Tons of free chi kung material that does work. Techniques can be both ancient and modern, the test is whether it works and helps you achieve your goals (whatever those may be). 

If you want a teacher or to attend classes....expect to pay for it. Though there are plenty of free techniques out there for helping you go it alone. Easy and valuable free chi kung movement: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL0MromO7yE

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zero Inf said:

If you don't believe it is real then what prompted you to start researching it?

Yes they do but each system serves a different purpose. I.e. iron shirt is mainly for combat purposes. Spring forest that @shadow suggested is for healing.

You do not mention why you want qigong for. Is it Health? To compliment your martial abilities?

Thanks for taking me.

What does "real stuff" even mean? :blink:

If you refer to some strong and rare techniques, the answer is yes they require a teacher and thus money. If you want to just dabble, there are a few systems that are free online. Some others are available in DVD form. There is a a lot to choose from. Tell us what you need and we will try to steer you towards a list of suitable systems or teachers.

As for the ancient texts being available for free online. They were meant as reference for people already acquainted with the system, not as a teaching course for novices. You can go ahead and try to learn from them but success isn't guaranteed at all.

Edited by Zork

Thank you everyone for replying to me. I want to know in which forum should I ask my questions about martial arts and qi cultivation?

7 hours ago, Zork said:

Tell us what you need and we will try to steer you towards a list of suitable systems or teachers.

I want to know and learn about Qi for self improvement first of all then again when I read about it, it continues to fascinate me again and again.

Now for qi cultivation I have to first sense ki and open my meridians and dan tiens right? Now there are a lot of methods in the internet but I can't make up my mind which to follow and the instructions are not clear. Like how do I understand that I am sensing qi and stimulating it?

The meditative breating for qi sensing is suggested as abdominal breathing; now should I do normal abdominal breathing where I expand my abdomen while inhaling air or should I do reverse abdominal breathing where I contract my abdomen while breathing? How should I control my rest of the body movement is not clear in most writings as some say to contract anus, others saying to keep inhaling till your abdomen expands and the chest starts movement too? Which will be a correct way for me to follow?

P.S. I tried a technique from the book cosmic healing of Mantak chia , 1st one after doing for a while not sure how long I did it I went to sleep immediately, bext morning I felt my palm and feet are heated (!) and that heat remained for quite a good while. Am I imagining thisor does it have any significance to it?

A martial school that emphasizes chi cultivation. You may wish to read Path Notes by Glenn Morris, it talks about martial arts, cultivation and the origin of Hoshin. 

http://hoshinbudo.com 

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Zero Inf said:

I want to know and learn about Qi for self improvement first of all then again when I read about it, it continues to fascinate me again and again.

Now for qi cultivation I have to first sense ki and open my meridians and dan tiens right? Now there are a lot of methods in the internet but I can't make up my mind which to follow and the instructions are not clear. Like how do I understand that I am sensing qi and stimulating it?

Since you haven't made up your mind about what system to follow, i would suggest Zhan Zhuang. It is the basis of many other qigong systems and will help you build up a foundation to work your way up to other paths.

Just don't visualise when doing zhan zhuang. You might get qi deviations.

4 hours ago, Zero Inf said:

The meditative breating for qi sensing is suggested as abdominal breathing; now should I do normal abdominal breathing where I expand my abdomen while inhaling air or should I do reverse abdominal breathing where I contract my abdomen while breathing? How should I control my rest of the body movement is not clear in most writings as some say to contract anus, others saying to keep inhaling till your abdomen expands and the chest starts movement too? Which will be a correct way for me to follow?

The answer depends on the system you follow. It would be better to find a system first.

1 hour ago, Zero Inf said:

Can you suggest me sources from where I can learn this system?

https://www.amazon.com/Chi-Kung-Lam-Kam-Chuen/dp/0736044809

https://www.amazon.com/Way-Energy-Mastering-Internal-Strength/dp/0671736450/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=the+way+of+energy&qid=1562005297&s=gateway&sprefix=the+way+of+en&sr=8-1

There are also many youtube vids on the system. You will need someone to correct your posture in person at some point though.

basics basics basics.  learn less, do more. 

The greatest secret is learning and internalizing the basics.  Get a sitting practice, be faithful to it.  Get a moving practice, be faithful, spend a few years in training.  After you can sit and move well, see what is offered around you.   Better to spend 6 months at the community yoga getting your body into better condition, then 6 months pondering what far away country to visit to learn some exotic art. 

Thats not to say you shouldn't shoot for something exotic, but wait til have the basics, and enough experience under your belt that you can tell wheat from chaff, til you are worthy of being a student to a great teacher.  

1 hour ago, thelerner said:

but wait til have the basics, and enough experience under your belt that you can tell wheat from chaff, 

This is the route i took and it paid dividends. Once you start shifting your energy to a higher vibration....it becomes easier to see through the BS. 

Edited by Shadow

Zero Inf,

Chi / qi is not objectively measurable and therefore complete b.s. (I am ignoring corollaries for now)

Chi / qi is also the best description of a very real experience and is amazing and useful.

Since you asked about reverse breathing.

For the first few months just do regular abdominal breathing. Once you find yourself breathing abdominally without thinking then you have developed the body awareness for reverse breathing. Start with 9 breaths in a row everyday for the first week, focus on making the contraction deep and smooth, this is just to adjust to a new  muscle pattern, and would be additional to whatever practice you decide to persue. From there advice really varies and I have muddied the waters enough. 

P.s.

To leave you with some recommendations to look into:

Kenneth Cohen - Way of Qigong

Terrence Dunn - his videos are really good. 

Yang jwing-ming - root of chinese qigong (excellent book to describe the basic terms)

I also would reccomend looking up Ba dua jin on YouTube. The moves change up a bit based on style/lineage but is a good start as many of the moves are in various styles at least as warmup moves.

I will also second the zhan zhuang recommendations. If you can do that for an hour you are ready for some serious training. 

6 hours ago, Wyrdone said:

To leave you with some recommendations to look into

Thank you senior for your kind suggestions.

I have set the goal of cultivating Qi to temper and strengthen my physical body and find a way to create a harmonious balance with my body, mind and soul. I would ask if senior could giveme some pointers on that suggestions for tempering and strengthening the physical body and make the mind more strong and stable.

On 6/30/2019 at 2:21 AM, Jeff said:

Either Consciously or subconsciously, as your heart (or middle dantien) is already open

Brother how does one understand if one's Dantiens are opened or not?

19 hours ago, Zero Inf said:

Brother how does one understand if one's Dantiens are opened or not?

Ultimately it is a knowing. But, when the middle is open, one begins to start consciously feeling energy flows.  That feeling can be like a rushing, pressure or vibrations.  Additionally, in more hindu cultures it is the point where one is more able to actually “bond” with a guru and other connections.

• Like 1

On 03/07/2019 at 11:27 PM, Wyrdone said:

Chi / qi is not objectively measurable and therefore complete b.s

Objectively ?

"science" as it is today means constructing a physical instrument and running experiments are with your human eyes and psyche, you will write down how you see the result, and then discuss with your peers (their eyes minds and psyches) what you consider the results to be.  And that is considered "Objective".

Sometimes you feel something inside you. 

And that is not "Objective".

This is how society teaches us at the moment.